Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 08-30-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

None of this matters any more. Most of the haters have (finally) moved on, and most of those who remain are just hoping to get some use out of it until it goes away.

When that happens, I may give Sinemia a try, although I am worried about their shady price increases. Their 3 movies a month family plan looks appealing, IF the price holds.
Old 08-30-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

MoviePass Partners with Postmates to Offer Subscribers Added Benefits

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...Added-Benefits
Old 08-30-18, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

Man, this service continues to be frustrating. 3 eligible films at an AMC theater 20 miles away. A little after 4 p.m. and it was showing nothing available.
Old 08-30-18, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Man, this service continues to be frustrating. 3 eligible films at an AMC theater 20 miles away. A little after 4 p.m. and it was showing nothing available.
For me, the service has been getting better. Showtimes (for the day's allotted films) no longer seem to disappear as the day wears on, and the selection of films seems to be getting bigger and more diverse.

I'm on the Costco annual plan, which (according to reports) are apparently the only annual plans that are exempt from the forced conversion to 3/month, so for now, I think I'll continue to ride it out to the end of my term.
Old 08-31-18, 09:13 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cancelled my annual yesterday and am getting a $52 refund. Trying to cancel our other 2 but their system is so fubar it keeps telling my invalid login. Just another reason to tell MP piss off.

Everything in my area has been limited for a while and the times and movies have been so random its ridiculous. Not one theater in my area does e-ticket so no reason to have MP IMHO.
Old 08-31-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

My wife still has the Costco annual membership (we didn't cancel in time to get the full refund). She wants to see Crazy Rich Asians today, which is on the list, so I guess I'll see for the first time in a while if the service has actual improved. I'm fully expecting to just pay out of pocket, though.
Old 08-31-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm surprised this stuff wasn't posted.

MoviePass Poll: Customer Satisfaction Plummets, Nearly Half Consider Bolting (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...olting-1137813

MoviePass Board Member Quits, Claims Company Withheld Information And ďInterferedĒ With His Ability To Do His Job
https://deadline.com/2018/08/moviepa...ob-1202454709/
Iíve been busy the last few weeks and havenít kept up.

Well, we can tell Schramm isnít a DVDTalker ó none of us are surprised by that. Iíve been waiting for the disgruntled employees ... it does surprise me a Board member came out first. The fact that he resigned the Board instead of trying to oust management says a lot as to the unchecked control Ted and Mitch have. Not good for a corporate governance structure.

Part of me wondered if they may be able to get this back under control after they lose 50-75% of their membership (my prediction, not based on anything other than anecdotal evidence). I figured the smaller scale would give them the ability to right the ship or the Board would finally oust leadership. However, Schrammís departure memo shows there is no hope.

Robodad ó it all still matters. We know the mismanagement and potential fraud didnít bother you, but it still matters. Iím not a customer anymore (Iím happy with my AMC A-List despite its limitations). Iím not a shareholder. But I am somebody who studies business and it does matter.
Old 08-31-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Yea, I'm still a member but that might change quickly. This has changed into seeing the movies they want you to see when they will let you.
Old 08-31-18, 12:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Not trying to brag, but just showing that this failing company at least benefitted some users: Just counted my ticket stubs, and it looks like I’ve seen at least 80 films since late October (monthly membership later converted to yearly). So I’ve spent about $100 on MoviePass, and received about $1150 in tickets, with at least four more months left on my plan. Oh, and as long as I see a few more specific films over the next couple months, it’ll be 13 free digital copies of those films too, thanks to Regal deals.
Old 08-31-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
My wife still has the Costco annual membership (we didn't cancel in time to get the full refund). She wants to see Crazy Rich Asians today, which is on the list, so I guess I'll see for the first time in a while if the service has actual improved. I'm fully expecting to just pay out of pocket, though.
Giving credit where it's due, my wife was able to check in and see CRA today (though it is a mid day showing of a movie that's been out a few weeks), so maybe things are getting better?
Old 09-01-18, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

https://mailchi.mp/moviepass/want-to...7?e=f7a085b357

Bahaha. How can they afford to pay for this? They can't even afford to send people to the movies.
Old 09-01-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, I think the retail value of that prize is under $400.

Appearing as an extra ... in a MoviePass produced movie ... no cash value. (In fact, they save $500 by not paying an extra.)

Meet Bruce Willis ... it's not like he has much else going on ... no cash value.

Dinner with the cast ... not necessarily dinner with Bruce ... or the cast of the movie. It may just be a cast from somebody's broken leg. Seriously though, $50 cash value.

2 VIP Tickets to the World Premiere ... paid for on your MP card, so they count against your limit. No cash value.

2 Roundtrip flights to Cincinnati, OH ... you know that airport is actually in Kentucky, right? OK, we'll say $300.

3 Night Hotel Stay ... We'll leave the light on for you. $150.

2 $300 MasterCard Gift Cards ... OK, that blew my budget. Obviously $600. Except that the cards can only be used on things MP says you can buy, on days they let you use them, and at select retailers. I guess it's still $600.

2 12-month MoviePass Memberships ... Technically about $240.

OK, I was off ... the whole package is under $1,500. Or 75,000 shares of MP stock ... which they probably are reserving the right to substitute for the advertised prize pack at their discretion.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 09-01-18 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Come on, we know the MoviePass Memberships are worth nothing.

Why would anyone want to go to Cincinnati as a prize?
Old 09-02-18, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

When you cancel with them on the month to month, does the service end the day you cancel or is it good through the remaining days of the billing period?
Old 09-02-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

Husband wanted to watch Happy Time Murders and we decided 2:20p was a good time for us. Pulled up the app at home, movie and time was available, went, checked in, got ticket. I'll renew. (On the yearly plan).
Old 09-02-18, 09:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Except MoviePass no longer has a yearly plan option.
Old 09-02-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,370 Likes on 4,359 Posts

Or a year-long prognosis.
Old 09-02-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 788 Likes on 379 Posts

I tried check in today, but I guess I already hit the 3 movie limit for this month. It offered me a whopping $2 discount on the $11 ticket. I passed. I guess I have to wait until after the 17th to check in to a free one again.
Old 09-02-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,370 Likes on 4,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I tried check in today, but I guess I already hit the 3 movie limit for this month. It offered me a whopping $2 discount on the $11 ticket. I passed. I guess I have to wait until after the 17th to check in to a free one again.
Just curious, if you take advantage of the pittance of a discount on your 4th ticket of the month, does that movie get blacked out so you couldn't get a free ticket for it the next month if you were so inclined?
Old 09-02-18, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

That sucks. I'll prob just cancel and do regular tickets. Don't go to the movies that often anyway (but did get a ton of value out of moviepass).
Old 09-03-18, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 788 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Just curious, if you take advantage of the pittance of a discount on your 4th ticket of the month, does that movie get blacked out so you couldn't get a free ticket for it the next month if you were so inclined?
Couldn't tell you, as I didn't accept the discount, but I would bet that it does.
Old 09-03-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru
When you cancel with them on the month to month, does the service end the day you cancel or is it good through the remaining days of the billing period?
Surprisingly, you can continue to use the service for the remainder of your billing period. Unless they have changed that. I will say this ... despite the shenanigans and user errors that happened, cancelling MP was one of the easiest cancellation experiences I ever had.
Old 09-03-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Seeing 2001 tonight at Studio Movie Grill. Used the e-ticket option.
Old 09-03-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Upper right hand corner.

Old 09-03-18, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not trying to brag, but just showing that this failing company at least benefitted some users: Just counted my ticket stubs, and it looks like Iíve seen at least 80 films since late October (monthly membership later converted to yearly). So Iíve spent about $100 on MoviePass, and received about $1150 in tickets, with at least four more months left on my plan. Oh, and as long as I see a few more specific films over the next couple months, itíll be 13 free digital copies of those films too, thanks to Regal deals.
And they were counting on not having any people like you. Simple math, how can MoviePass survive with a business model in which users can cost them over $1000, at least?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.