Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 08-23-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Trevor
7th movie in the last 10 days for me.
Your wife is a patient woman. My husband would not be happy if I did that.

Used the open the app early trick to get a ticket for Rifftrax Live Krull tonight!
Same here for Mission Impossible.
Old 08-23-18, 01:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

^ Well, she was with me for a couple of them, and for the others I mostly go to the theater while she’s at work.
Old 08-23-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

7th movie in the last 10 days for me. Used the open the app early trick to get a ticket for Rifftrax Live Krull tonight!
I don't think I could have gotten away with that even if I had opened the app early. At the AMC that I go to, Rifftrax is $3.31 more than a regular 2D movie.
Old 08-24-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Wow, now they're going to screw over even the annual members. They must have gotten a lawyer to go over the contract with a fine toothed comb.

From reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...1q&sh=5b61d4d9

Hi <name>,

We want to thank you for being a loyal member of our annual MoviePass plan. Your commitment to MoviePass has contributed to making our vision for an accessible and affordable moviegoing experience a reality. After experimenting with different models and options, we believe that our current monthly plan captures the need of our community — keeping prices low while continually striving to offer a wider selection of films.

As of today, aligned with Section 2.4 of our Terms of Use, your annual subscription plan will now allow you to see 3 movies a month instead of the previous unlimited offering, and you'll receive up to a $5.00 discount on any additional movie tickets purchased. This is the current standard plan now in effect for all current and new subscribers. Unless you choose to cancel your subscription prematurely, your plan will continue within these guidelines through the end of your annnual contract. Additionally, in making these adjustments to our annual plans, we intend to expand our offering of blockbuster and independent films so you can discover a wider variety of movies.

If this new plan no longer aligns with your viewing preferences, we completely understand and would be happy to offer you a refund for the remainder of your annual subscription. If you choose to cancel, please make sure to press the cancelation button below. By doing so you will receive a prorated refund and your annual subscription will be canceled. Cancelation will also prevent you from signing up for MoviePass again for the next 9 months. Please note that you have until 8/31/2018 to complete this process.
<CANCELLATION BUTTON>

If you choose to remain a MoviePass member under this new plan, you don't need to take any further action. Note that there will be NO additional charge for the remaining time of your annual subscription (except for additional movie tickets purchased beyond your 3 per month allotment).

The new plan's movie allotment for this month works as follows: because you began your annual subscription on August 24, any movie you saw on or past July 24 will count toward this month's allotment of movies. If you have already used your 3 movies for this month, you will still be allowed to purchase additional movies at a discount.

Your new plan will allow you to:
See both Blockbuster & Independent films
Choose from a rotating selection of films daily, accessible via our online schedule
Buy additional tickets with discounts of up to $5 (discounts will vary depending on your location and movie title selection)
Watch at 91% of movie theaters in the U.S.
Get invites to special events and screenings

We hope you choose to stay part of our MoviePass community as we revolutionize the moviegoing industry together.

Thank you for your continued support, The MoviePass Team
Section 2.4:

https://www.moviepass.com/terms/

(i) MoviePass reserves the right to change or modify the Service or subscriptions at any time and in its sole discretion, including but not limited to applicable prices, at any time, without prior notice. MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members in connection with the Service at any time. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month.**
Old 08-24-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

1.8 cents right now. Why aren't they de-listed yet?
Old 08-24-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Wow, and if you already saw 3 movies this "month" that's it, you're done until the next billing period. So a retroactive downgrade of service. Man they're desperate, I can't imagine the PR nightmare this is going to be on top of the PR nightmare they already have.
Old 08-24-18, 02:47 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

I've seen 4 in the last month (and was going to go again tonight and tomorrow)... so I guess I'm screwed.

I may just bite the bullet and cancel my annual membership and get 6 months back (6 x $7/mo = $42).

Hmmmm.... decisions.
Old 08-24-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I've seen 4 in the last month (and was going to go again tonight and tomorrow)... so I guess I'm screwed.

I may just bite the bullet and cancel my annual membership and get 6 months back (6 x $7/mo = $42).

Hmmmm.... decisions.
I just cancelled annual, but wasn’t given the option of reimbursement because it was past the 22nd. Apparently I can still use it till Sept. 22. We’ll find out tomorrow.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 08-24-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 02:58 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Is that even an option for annual?
I think that's what this means:

If this new plan no longer aligns with your viewing preferences, we completely understand and would be happy to offer you a refund for the remainder of your annual subscription. If you choose to cancel, please make sure to press the cancelation button below. By doing so you will receive a prorated refund and your annual subscription will be canceled. Cancelation will also prevent you from signing up for MoviePass again for the next 9 months. Please note that you have until 8/31/2018 to complete this process.

I've seen 12 movies since I signed up on March 31st... that pretty good for $50.
Old 08-24-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Next 9 months? lmao That's some optimistic talk, thinking they'll still be around in 9 months.
Old 08-24-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts

Yeah, my subscription is through Nov. I will just keep it until then as opposed to getting $16 back. I'd rather screw them over a couple of times instead.

For my wife's Costco subscription I might ask for a refund. I wouldn't feel good about it, but they do guaranty 100% satisfaction with every purchase and I am way below 100% satisfied.
Old 08-24-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
I just cancelled annual, but wasn’t given the option of reimbursement because it was past the 22nd. Apparently I can still use it till Sept. 22. We’ll find out tomorrow.
They didn't even tell you how much you're going to be reimbursed??? What if they base if off of how many movies you've seen? Your reimbursement might be ZERO!!! I'm not canceling until I know how much I'm getting back...
Old 08-24-18, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the email but my wife didn’t. Has it been established that all annual members are moved to the 3/month plan?
Old 08-24-18, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The prorated refund offered to me is only $21.44, so I’ll stick with it. The list of available movies is a bit better now, so 3 movies for $8.99 or whatever I’ve paid isn’t so bad.
Old 08-24-18, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

These people are such scumbags. I'll be "seeing" 3 e-ticket movies every month until my prepaid year is up. Meanwhile I'll actually be enjoying my A-List subscription.
Old 08-25-18, 11:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got my Costco refund this week. It’s only $45 as Costco pro-rates it now. It kinda made me wonder if they gave 100% refund before this thing really exploded. Anyway, I’m fine with that. I saw 17 movies at an average price of $12 each. All that for $45. As for Fandor as an extra, I never used it.
Old 08-26-18, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
Got my Costco refund this week. It’s only $45 as Costco pro-rates it now. It kinda made me wonder if they gave 100% refund before this thing really exploded. Anyway, I’m fine with that. I saw 17 movies at an average price of $12 each. All that for $45. As for Fandor as an extra, I never used it.
Does anyone use Fandor? I bet they're hoping all the people who got it for free will forget and have their credit cards charged for renewal.
Old 08-26-18, 11:04 AM

I like my Fandor sub, but they better not charge me $89 when it renews. Since it’s a combo thing and MoviePass will be out of business come February (was that when Costco had that deal?), I can’t imagine Costco screwing everybody that way.
Old 08-26-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by faust69
They gave my girlfriend and I full refunds when we asked them to cancel it several weeks back.

Originally Posted by Eric F
Does anyone use Fandor? I bet they're hoping all the people who got it for free will forget and have their credit cards charged for renewal.
I like my Fandor sub, but they better not charge me $89 when it renews. Since it’s a combo thing and MoviePass will be out of business come February (was that when Costco had that deal?), I can’t imagine Costco screwing everybody that way.
The Costco deal was in December (at least that when I got mine) and I did the Fandor thing just to see what it was but have not watched anything on it yet. I have no idea what the renewal policy would be but I can't imagine they could charge me anything since I asked for a refund and got it on the whole thing.
Old 08-26-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

When this service first popped up, I was kind of disappointed I couldn't take advantage of it due to just having children. Now? I'm glad I missed the headache you all are dealing with. This is the first time I've seen something change so dramatically so quickly.

I do like how MoviePass prompted a few other competitors to start up, namely AMC. At some point in the next few years, I'm hoping to have enough free time to get back to the theaters again.
Old 08-29-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Lineup updated
Old 08-29-18, 08:20 PM

The ‘rate your last movie’ thumbs up or down pop-up made me wonder why they didn’t include more of that in their terms/system. Make users give detailed reviews and ratings for everything they see and the theater itself, and sell that data to the studios and theaters. I’d spend ten minutes filling out some ratings to see a free film.
Old 08-30-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I’d spend ten minutes filling out some ratings to see a free film.
But for every honest review you’d have other people (like the people who posted pics of ticket stubs with urinals or middle fingers) would just send unreliable bullshit and demand more free services.
Old 08-30-18, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

The actually added a new theater that's very close to me in the app and it supports e-ticketing.
Old 08-30-18, 12:10 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

I'm surprised this stuff wasn't posted.

MoviePass Poll: Customer Satisfaction Plummets, Nearly Half Consider Bolting (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...olting-1137813

MoviePass Board Member Quits, Claims Company Withheld Information And “Interfered” With His Ability To Do His Job
https://deadline.com/2018/08/moviepa...ob-1202454709/
Economist Carl Schramm has resigned from the board of directors of MoviePass parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics, claiming that management withheld financial information and made important decisions without the board’s knowledge.

Here’s the full text of Schramm’s resignation letter to CEO Theodore Farnsworth:

Dear Ted:

As you know, for several months now, I have raised questions and expressed concerns about the corporate governance of Helios and Matheson Analytics, Inc. (the “Company”). I have sought, often unsuccessfully, information about the Company’s financial status and operations, and explanations of Company strategy. I have objected to the manner in which a number of business decisions have been presented to the Board of Directors by management, without sufficient time for the Board to examine complex documents, to review significant transactions, or to discuss how the proposed actions fit into the Company’s strategic plan.

These concerns have increased substantially over the past eight weeks as management apparently has made a number of important corporate decisions and executed significant transactions either without Board knowledge or approval, or in Board meetings initiated with only a few hours of advance notice by email (at least one of which I did not even know had been called until the meeting had concluded). Just last week, I learned that management withheld material information from the Board for several months.

These and other actions have interfered with my ability to exercise my responsibilities as a board member. Taken together, they confirm that, despite my best efforts, my ability to effectively discharge my duties as a director has been compromised beyond repair.

Accordingly, effective immediately, I hereby resign from the Board of Directors of Helios and Matheson Analytics, Inc., and from any and all committees of which I am a member.

In accordance with Section 11(b)(1) of the Securities Act, from this date forward, I disclaim any and all responsibility for any part of any registration statement filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission by or on behalf of Helios and Matheson Analytics, Inc., or any of its affiliates, including but not limited to the Form S-3 filed on January 25, 2018, the Form S-3 filed on July 2, 2018, and any other corporate filings.

/s/ Carl J. Schramm

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.