Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Decker
Doesn't show any theaters in Vegas either.

Was Santa Fe Station listed on your app? Red Rock Station theater? AMC Rainbow Promenade?
Yes, to all three of those.
Old 08-17-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-17-17, 11:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Doesn't show any theaters in Vegas either.

Was Santa Fe Station listed on your app? Red Rock Station theater? AMC Rainbow Promenade?
When I type in a random Vegas zip code, I see all of these (edit: even more show up when I use a different zip)

For anyone in Houston (like me) I get these. Note that there ARE more, but that site only shows theaters within a certain distance of the zip that's entered.

edit: the thing that sucks is, at least for me, only Studio Movie Grill does eticketing through the MoviePass app. All others require the card.
Old 08-17-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I just don't see how it can sustain itself realistically. I mean taking what's the price of one ticket for one show at matinee price (maybe) and turning it into a monthly unlimited use price doesn't add up to me.
I believe they are hoping to data mine the crap out of moviegoer's habits and try to sell that info down the road to movie studios since the new investor is a data analysis company.

At $10/mo though, I don't know how deep their pockets are to take the losses and for how long.
Old 08-17-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

^ Thanks Dan!

For the life of me I don't know how you could run a service asking people to sign up for a Movie Pass card (and pay up-front for the service) and then seemingly instruct them to check an app that appears to show zero movie theaters in your metro area that accept said Pass. They must be flooded with panicked emails.
Old 08-17-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm unable to copy/paste text from the app, but some dude created an offshoot site to cache locations, hopefully this works:

https://www.moviepasslocations.com
Damn. If that's accurate I'm leaning further towards trying it. Pretty much includes all the theaters I use...including Alamo Drafthouse.
Old 08-17-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

^ Thanks Dan!

For the life of me I don't know how you could run a service asking people to sign up for a Movie Pass card (and pay up-front for the service) and then seemingly instruct them to check an app that appears to show zero movie theaters in your metro area that accept said Pass. They must be flooded with panicked emails.
They have some time, because people can't use the app until they get the card in hand. Existing customers should be ticked, however, if it's not working.

They'll dondata mining but I'm honestly not sure what that'll get them... when you have an AYCE pass, people will start seeing terrible movies just to see something. It's not like they force you to review them or anything. If anything they'll use the data they collect to pressure the theaters into partnering with them. They'll probably also do the NEtflix thing of gradually raising prices, but never so much that you feel like you're not getting a deal.

But yeah, their plan is to burn through their VC money buying full price tickets to get their user base up. That seems crazy and definitely unsustainable (I mean that's like classic dot com era DVD store strategy). . But I can see why AMC is concerned. And it was a brilliant move getting the guy from Netflix as CEO, the company that bought a stake hold in them basically said it was because he was there and he has a track record, and all the publicity around this references the success of Netflix.
Old 08-17-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Nice, I just checked that and it appears a bunch of theaters in my area will accept it.

I guess I'll try to exhaust it until it flames out.
Old 08-17-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Been trying to sign up but it isnt working. I enter my email address, enter a password with my name and it just refreshes and everything is blank again. Won't progress to the next screen.

This just due to traffic?
Old 08-17-17, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Ok, just signed up online this morning/ Got an email confirmation. Downloaded the app on my phone and now wehn I try and log in it says my "credentials" are incorrect. So I reset my password and try to log in again and it still doesn't work. There's no option to log in at the website either. all you can do there is join. I know I can't use it until i receive the card, but I would think I could still log in online. Anyone else that just signed up having any issues?
Old 08-17-17, 07:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Try signing in with this link. You can't do much of anything from there, but at least you can see if it works.

https://www.moviepass.com/auth/session
Old 08-17-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

You can log in from the site. Just have to continue the sign up process. It will say you already have an account and to login.
Old 08-17-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Probably b cause I don't have the card yet but the app is spotty.

I go to the theaters tab and sometimes a list will appear. Sometimes it appears then immediately disappears.
Most times nothing appears.
Old 08-17-17, 08:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Also, if y'all do manage to get into the app, go to the "Moviepass Cards" tab, and see if a card has been issued to you yet. Mine showed up there. Just the last four digits... But that's a good sign that they didn't run out of blank cards (yet)
Old 08-17-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

As an active subscriber, I went to the movies tonight, and of course the app wouldn't load any theaters.

I called the number on the back of the card, which is what I have always done in situations like this, and instead of getting thru to a human (as I normally would) I just got a pre-recorded message directing me to chat or email.

I didn't have time for that shit, so I just bought the ticket myself. Will try to contact them tomorrow about reimbursement.

All I have to say is that they better get the infrastructure upgraded to handle the new subscriber base right quick, or they will very soon have a bunch of new ex-members.
Old 08-17-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Seems like you can now see the same movie more than once:

https://twitter.com/MoviePass/status/897439572526862337
Well that's a surprise. I actually had moviepass during May and June and they implemented a new change without explanation that forced me to take a photo of my ticket and submit it to them. I suppose this was to prevent me from seeing the same movie twice.

It's funny to see them go from one extreme to another. They were charging some people in large cities $99 for unlimited. My rate went up to $40 and it just wasn't worth it for me. $9.99 is a steal though.
Old 08-17-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm a little confused about how to use this.

So the card arrives. It's nothing more than just a card with a membership number right?

So you need to activate/check in to the movie through the app to create a unique MC number to purchase the ticket? So using the app and checking in is mandatory for this to work correct?
Old 08-17-17, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Well that's a surprise. I actually had moviepass during May and June and they implemented a new change without explanation that forced me to take a photo of my ticket and submit it to them. I suppose this was to prevent me from seeing the same movie twice.
It was to prevent you from checking in for one movie, and buying something else.

That could be seeing the same movie twice, or any number of other things. For example, before they did the photos, I would frequently check in for an evening showing, but instead buy two morning show tickets (which happened to be the same price as one evening ticket).
Old 08-17-17, 11:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya

So the card arrives. It's nothing more than just a card with a membership number right?

So you need to activate/check in to the movie through the app to create a unique MC number to purchase the ticket? So using the app and checking in is mandatory for this to work correct?
Not quite.

There are two main functions:

1. ETicketing
Theaters who have eticketing that is compatible with MoviePass (NOT many at all, honestly). With those theaters, you can sign in on the app, pick your movie time for the day, pick your seats (if assigned seating is available) and check out. It will generate a confirmation code. You use that confirmation code at the theater (box office or kiosk) to print your ticket. Then you get to see a movie.

2. Standard ticketing
This requires the MoviePass card. It's basically a debit/credit card. You show up at the theater, log into the MoviePass app, select your movie and time and check in. That will load some cash onto the card. Then you go to the box office or kiosk, and proceed to buy a ticket like you normally would. But when it's time to pay, you swipe the MoviePass card, and it pays for the ticket. Ticket prints. Then you get to see a movie.

"Standard" theaters won't show up in your app until you confirm that you have a card, which is sent to you in the mail when you sign up.

If you have a loyalty card or account with any particular theater, you have to ensure you swipe/enter that before paying with the MoviePass card.

Note that, just because a theater does their own eticketing (as most do these days), it does NOT mean you can do eticketing through the app. MoviePass's app has to be able to interface with those systems, and... they just don't. Not now, anyway.
Old 08-17-17, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

No. The card is a MasterCard with a full credit card number/expiration, etc.

You check in on the app, it loads money on the card, then you use the card to pay for the ticket at the box office.

You do need to use the app to check in every time, because it needs to use your GPS to confirm that you are at the theater before it loads money on the card.
Old 08-17-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dan
Not quite.

There are two main functions:

1. ETicketing
Theaters who have eticketing that is compatible with MoviePass (NOT many at all, honestly). With those theaters, you can sign in on the app, pick your movie time for the day, pick your seats (if assigned seating is available) and check out. It will generate a confirmation code. You use that confirmation code at the theater (box office or kiosk) to print your ticket. Then you get to see a movie.

2. Standard ticketing
This requires the MoviePass card. It's basically a debit/credit card. You show up at the theater, log into the MoviePass app, select your movie and time and check in. That will load some cash onto the card. Then you go to the box office or kiosk, and proceed to buy a ticket like you normally would. But when it's time to pay, you swipe the MoviePass card, and it pays for the ticket. Ticket prints. Then you get to see a movie.

"Standard" theaters won't show up in your app until you confirm that you have a card, which is sent to you in the mail when you sign up.

If you have a loyalty card or account with any particular theater, you have to ensure you swipe/enter that before paying with the MoviePass card.
Cool thanks for the clarification.

Looks like Standard ticketing for me.
Old 08-17-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I've done E-Ticketing at AMC locations where the ticket/QR code generates directly on the app. You could print it, but the usher could just as well scan the phone.
Old 08-17-17, 11:44 PM

None of the AMC theaters in my area support e-ticketing, whether they are assigned seating or otherwise.

Also, now that I am outside of peak hours, I can get theater listings to load in the app, but only the e-ticketing ones. It says if I want to see more theaters, I need to request a MoviePass card. The problem with that is that I have been a subscriber for 2 years and of course already have a card.

Just sent an email to support requesting reimbursement and reporting this problem. Let's see how long it takes them to get back to me.
Old 08-18-17, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Tried to sign up a few times, but the website is garbage.
Old 08-18-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Went to see a movie yesterday afternoon (430) and it did take a few tries to load the theaters. It eventually did, but I was about to buy the ticket myself and submit for reimbursement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.