Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

For those still following along, the list of available films (link in the wiki section) was updated today with movies listed through 9/12.
Old 09-05-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Cool, I can see Peppermint on Sunday
Old 09-05-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Stock is up to 3 cents — a 50% increase!
Old 09-10-18, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw my last MoviePass film this evening. I had the service for exactly 1 year and saw 103 movies. Would have been well over $900 out of pocket and I paid less than $110 and racked up a ton of theater rewards, etc. Good times.

I didn't follow all the commotion too closely when everyone had trouble cancelling previously. I did so via the app tonight. My renewal date is typically the 11th (tomorrow). It went through but said I'd have the service until my next billing date, October 11th. I used the chat feature to confirm that I was cancelling and didn't want to be charged further. The associate confirmed this to be true and I took a screenshot of the conversation should I have to argue that with them later.
Old 09-10-18, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... and back down to 2 cents.

“I’m telling ya’ — pour it all into MoviePass!”
Old 09-11-18, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
And they were counting on not having any people like you. Simple math, how can MoviePass survive with a business model in which users can cost them over $1000, at least?

It's the reel.com business model.
Old 09-11-18, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although REEL failed to survive the business model I think it definitely helped propel DVD's into a collecting medium. I along with a bunch of others got caught up in the frenzy of buying due to the great deals. Unlike Columbia House which offers a great initial deal then actually makes some money, REEL tried to make money through advertising and selling emails or other data. They met the same fate Moviepass is destined for.

Of course at the rate people are bailing on moviepass, they'll probably be able to hang. Since actually seeing a movie is more difficult than the show up, check in, buy ticket model they started with.
Old 09-12-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I didn't follow all the commotion too closely when everyone had trouble cancelling previously. I did so via the app tonight. My renewal date is typically the 11th (tomorrow). It went through but said I'd have the service until my next billing date, October 11th. I used the chat feature to confirm that I was cancelling and didn't want to be charged further. The associate confirmed this to be true and I took a screenshot of the conversation should I have to argue that with them later.
Should anyone be interested, I was indeed charged the next day. Used the chat feature once more to point out that I was told I wouldn't be. Received a reply that my concerns were being escalated and another reply came today with a refund.

And with that, farewell MP!
Old 09-12-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am shocked that you got that resolved so easily.
Old 09-12-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too. However, they don't have as many customers as they used to. It should be a little easier to get a hold of someone.
Old 09-17-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Remember when this used to get multiple daily posts? And now it's on the second page. Guess everyone here finally jumped shipped. Or Mitch Lowe hasn't said anything stupid for a while.

MP has loved me for the past month plus because I didn't see anything - I had major surgery and was recovering - but I picked it back up with Crazy Rich Asians last night.

I hated all of the TOS changes, too, and said as much in this thread, but will stick with it at least a little longer due to my circumstances. I'm still on leave from work (for recovery, but feeling much better now) until late October, so I have the leeway to conform my moviegoing according to MP's schedule. While I *greatly* miss the way it was, for the price it's still an okay deal. Having to look ahead at the monthly release schedule and plan which three films I want to see is a real pain, though.

That said, if I had an AMC anywhere near me I'd jump on A List.
Old 09-17-18, 11:07 AM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Now that it's settled down again, it's still a good deal for me. Sure, that could change in the future, but I'm still happily riding it out.
Old 09-17-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

currently at 0.015 they are talking another reverse split again in October. I would think they would be delisted by the mid october vote....

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/17/med...ain/index.html
Old 09-17-18, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Another reverse stock split? Can you say desperate? They're at 1.6 cents right now and I'm amazed they haven't already been de-listed.
Old 09-17-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How many times can they keep running the same sham?

Can anybody explain why they are still listed? Regardless of the stock price, they have not met the market cap requirement — even immediately after the last reverse.

Most recent picture of Mitch Lowe:

Old 09-17-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

The proposal is seriously a 500:1 split this time?
Old 09-17-18, 11:11 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I canceled my monthly subscription today. Haven't gone to a movie in 2 months. Selection and timing has never really worked out. I'm not going to Crazy Rich Asians at 10:50pm, sorry. My account ends October 8 and I'm definitely not going to use it for fear they'll keep me subscribed or something.

Bummed, wanted this to be great and it's been a while since I've been sucked I to something too good to be true...

Likely going to go for AMC Stubs A-List. We have one less than 5 minutes away.
Old 09-17-18, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I thought the movie selection had greatly improved? It's still a lottery to see if you can get a showing?
Old 09-18-18, 06:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

The selection seems pretty decent each time I look, but the days I want to see a film I generally do the morning trick to get the full selection.
Old 09-18-18, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I haven't used mine in over a month (busy schedule, not much I want to see). Have they officially dropped the photo stub requirement?
Old 09-18-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I haven't used mine in over a month (busy schedule, not much I want to see). Have they officially dropped the photo stub requirement?
I, too, took over a month off. When I saw a movie a few days ago it didn't ask me to submit a stub, so I guess so.

The pre-selected movies have definitely improved. I've noticed that some major releases - The Nun, The Predator - were available on their opening weekends. That's a huge plus. And at least in my market it seems like more showtimes are available throughout the day, compared to how it was. (Though we'll see how all this plays out when the next blockbuster is released.)
Old 09-25-18, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those still following along, MoviePass sent out an email yesterday announcing their partnership with Neon for the upcoming "Monsters and Men" and "Border". This includes the ability to view these films as "Bonus Movies" that will not count towards the monthly allotment of movies.

I was on the fence about using one of my three monthly movies on "Monsters and Men" when it hits my local arthouse theater in a few weeks so this is welcome news. I'm currently primarily using Moviepass for indie movies and using readmission passes I have banked at Regal while I patiently wait for Regal to launch their own subscription service.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/moviepa...on-1202469881/
Old 09-25-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Why Helios and Matheson Stock Popped 43% This Morning

Helios and Matheson Analytics (NASDAQ: HMNY) stock is up 14.3% as of 1:30 p.m. EDT -- not a bad pop, if not quite as good as the near-43% run-up it enjoyed earlier in the day. So, what's behind investors' enthusiasm today?

Helios and Matheson is getting more deeply involved in the movie business -- as in, it's making them instead of just subsidizing viewers' ability to watch them through its MoviePass subscription service.

Helios and Matheson announced this morning that its "MoviePass Films LLC" film production subsidiary has paid an unspecified sum to purchase an unspecified interest in two films, "Sundance award-winner Monsters and Men and Cannes award-winner Border." MoviePass Films teamed up with independent distribution company NEON Rated LLC to acquire its interest -- but it isn't saying how big that interest is, or what the payoff might be if the films are well received by moviegoers in the U.S.

Helios did say, though, that MoviePass will allow subscribers to see both these films as "bonus movies" that don't count again the now drastically reduced three-movies-per-month they're now restricted to watching.

The addition of two movies to MoviePass subscribers' menu of choices is likely to drive at least some incremental traffic to see them. Then again, with MoviePass paying full freight on any tickets sold, but receiving only an (unspecified) portion of those ticket sales in its role as these films' co-distributor, I fail to see how this will contribute to the company's bottom line at all -- except by reaccelerating MoviePass's losses.

Long story short: Today's stock rally looks like an overreaction.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...175500560.html

Haters gonna hate. But hopefully more studios get in line like NEON did.
Old 09-25-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sell, sell, sell! Gonna’ make it rain!

Even with a 43% pop it still didn’t cross over 2 cents.
Old 09-25-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I should cancel this. Sunday the only movie they offered that was at my theater was assignation nation.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.