Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't know, but I hope MP is able to identify them and cancel their accounts.

I also hope they are able to find a way to identify people who deliberately buy tickets for movies they are not going to see and boot them out as well.
I agree. Why anyone wants to put the company into bankruptcy is beyond me. 1 movie a day, every day is a damn great deal in this day and age.
Old 05-02-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh, they're going to have to drastically scale back the service or get a cut of the big dogs, and AMC at least isn't budging. But like the .com boom, where we got a ton of DVDs back in the day for relatively cheap (just so they can collect dust), ride it while you can and don't ask questions (and certainly don't invest in the company).
Agreed. That's why I think theaters and studios should still make business deals with them. I would love to see theater's earnings before and after MP. I still think there is overall a lot more money being poured into the cinemas since MP they just need a cut of it to stay viable. Think about how many people have MP now that only go to the theater once or twice a year. That's $120/person + concessions that wouldn't be there. How many of you have spent $120 before MP at the theaters?
Old 05-02-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

People on reddit are posting the mturk stubs (that's apparently the amazon service moviepass uses to pay people to validate the ticket pictures). It's kind of astonishing that people will cheat the system and still take a picture of their imax/3d/whatever ticket. That's pretty brazen.
This is fascinating. For those who don't know, Amazon Mechanical Turk is a service that allows businesses to crowdsource Human Intelligence Tasks: using humans to perform tasks that computers are unable to do. Human workers pick up available jobs from a queue and typically get paid to pennies to perform the task, in this case classifying and verifying the ticket stub pictures for MoviePass.

Here are instructions on how you can view the MoviePass tasks that are coming in in realtime:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl..._pics_without/

And here's where people are posting an archive of the worst offenders:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassmTurk/

So, if you don't think there is fraud going on, there is definitely fraud going on. I hope they get banned.
Old 05-02-18, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Just amazing how some fuck heads tries to find creative ways to commit fraud. I hope someone reports these actions to Movie Pass and they all get banned.

We get a great opportunity for a great price, but some idiot tries to cheat the system.
Old 05-02-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBang
This is fascinating. For those who don't know, Amazon Mechanical Turk is a service that allows businesses to crowdsource Human Intelligence Tasks: using humans to perform tasks that computers are unable to do. Human workers pick up available jobs from a queue and typically get paid to pennies to perform the task, in this case classifying and verifying the ticket stub pictures for MoviePass.

Here are instructions on how you can view the MoviePass tasks that are coming in in realtime:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl..._pics_without/

And here's where people are posting an archive of the worst offenders:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassmTurk/

So, if you don't think there is fraud going on, there is definitely fraud going on. I hope they get banned.

I love the pictures people took of themselves, their movie pass card and their DMV renewal notice?
Old 05-03-18, 12:32 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I wonder if these are the same people who put hours into figuring out how to weasel their way out of doing their homework instead of just doing their homework.
Old 05-03-18, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Went to see Avengers last night at my favorite Marquee cinemas and they have really streamlined it since we saw A Quiet Place a few weeks ago. Both times 4 of us went...my wife, my best friend and me (all using MP) and our 10 year old daughter. It's reserved seating, so ringing up 4 different ticket purchases trying to make sure we got seats together was a pain in the ass. Last night we all went to the counter,explained we would need 4 together but paying separately ( apologizing to her for the trouble ahead). She said there was no problem....pulled up the seating chart, grabbed 4 seats and rang each one up and printed individual tickets in less than a minute! I asked her if they were seeing a lot of MP customers, and she said they were seeing a ton.
Old 05-03-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Went to see Avengers last night at my favorite Marquee cinemas and they have really streamlined it since we saw A Quiet Place a few weeks ago. Both times 4 of us went...my wife, my best friend and me (all using MP) and our 10 year old daughter. It's reserved seating, so ringing up 4 different ticket purchases trying to make sure we got seats together was a pain in the ass. Last night we all went to the counter,explained we would need 4 together but paying separately ( apologizing to her for the trouble ahead). She said there was no problem....pulled up the seating chart, grabbed 4 seats and rang each one up and printed individual tickets in less than a minute! I asked her if they were seeing a lot of MP customers, and she said they were seeing a ton.
The issue with multiple people paying isn't really a MP issue though. Theatres..or any business.. should be able to accommodate.
Old 05-03-18, 08:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Agreed. That's why I think theaters and studios should still make business deals with them. I would love to see theater's earnings before and after MP. I still think there is overall a lot more money being poured into the cinemas since MP they just need a cut of it to stay viable. Think about how many people have MP now that only go to the theater once or twice a year. That's $120/person + concessions that wouldn't be there. How many of you have spent $120 before MP at the theaters?
My local Regal got about $50 a year from me before MoviePass. Since late October, they’ve gotten about $1000 from MoviePass and another $50 or so from me in concessions.
Old 05-03-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The issue with multiple people paying isn't really a MP issue though. Theatres..or any business.. should be able to accommodate.
I think i didn’t word it properly. I meant the theater has improved it’s ticketing process.
Old 05-03-18, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Yeah, Ever since reserved seating became a thing, I would walk up to the counter with my friend, tell them that we needed two seats and would be paying separately. It was never a problem, and that process hasn't changed since we've started using MoviePass instead of our personal debit/credit cards.
Old 05-03-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yesterday I went to see Labyrinth, which was a Fathom Event apparently. Moviepass let me check-in, but it didn't cover the full cost of the ticket. I had to pay 24 cents. I don't care about that. I just hope they don't suspend my account for taking advantage of them, when it wasn't intentional. I had no idea Labyrinth cost more. It let me check-in, so I bought the ticket. I was shocked when they said I had to pay more...
Old 05-03-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I heard someone at another forum say that Fathom Events were recently removed from the list of restricted shows in the terms. So maybe they're allowed now? I've also heard some people say that Fathom Events at their theaters are actually cheaper than regular shows. Fathom Events at my nearest theater that supports them though are about $5 more than regular tickets, so I haven't bothered trying one.
Old 05-03-18, 11:40 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

MoviePass helping re-energize movie theaters
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/57798...#sp=show-clips
Old 05-03-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
MoviePass helping re-energize movie theaters
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/57798...#sp=show-clips
Oh cool, an independent analysis of their actual effect on theaters... oh wait, it's just an interview with Mitch Lowe.

Amazing that they can get publicity by taking away the plan and bringing it back. Why not ask him why they took it away in the first place?
Old 05-03-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Yesterday I went to see Labyrinth, which was a Fathom Event apparently. Moviepass let me check-in, but it didn't cover the full cost of the ticket. I had to pay 24 cents. I don't care about that. I just hope they don't suspend my account for taking advantage of them, when it wasn't intentional. I had no idea Labyrinth cost more. It let me check-in, so I bought the ticket. I was shocked when they said I had to pay more...
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I heard someone at another forum say that Fathom Events were recently removed from the list of restricted shows in the terms. So maybe they're allowed now? I've also heard some people say that Fathom Events at their theaters are actually cheaper than regular shows. Fathom Events at my nearest theater that supports them though are about $5 more than regular tickets, so I haven't bothered trying one.
I had no problem seeing the Cobra Kai Fathom Event with moviepass last week. Paid for the whole $12 ticket for me.
Old 05-03-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just amazing how some fuck heads tries to find creative ways to commit fraud. I hope someone reports these actions to Movie Pass and they all get banned.

We get a great opportunity for a great price, but some idiot tries to cheat the system.
Yeah. We have a couple of those here on this board, apparently.
Old 05-03-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

So ... this thought struck me while listening to a podcast earlier ...

MoviePass believes exhibitors and/or film companies should cut them a share of profits based on all the business MoviePass is driving into theaters.

But then MoviePass comes out and says 88% of their users are seeing less than 1 movie per week.

Old 05-04-18, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
So ... this thought struck me while listening to a podcast earlier ...

MoviePass believes exhibitors and/or film companies should cut them a share of profits based on all the business MoviePass is driving into theaters.

But then MoviePass comes out and says 88% of their users are seeing less than 1 movie per week.

Yeah. What about that is contradictory? One movie a week means those people are still probably seeing more movies than they would have prior to MP so yes they are driving business that's how the studios and theaters benefit. Also saying most of their users see less than 1 movie per week means that there is still potential for MP to profit off of those users who don't use the service very often.

I'll say it again that MP represents a paradigm shift. I'll go even further and say that it is the answer that the studios and the theater owner have been whining about. Every year it's the same old story that they whine that people just aren't going to the movies anymore. Well guess what now they are and instead of working with MP to somehow find a way that everyone can benefit they fight them tooth and nail. I think that's really dumb and shortsighted.
Old 05-04-18, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, though, they make so little profit off of ticket sales, why cut someone into their profit centers when they themselves could offer a similar program (once Moviepass collapses) and pocket all the profits?

Moviepass is making them money because Moviepass is basically giving away hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Old 05-04-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I think theaters should consider giving them some of the profits because this is free money that the theater would not get without Movie Pass being there. Now it might be difficult to say exactly how many more tickets are being sold because of Movie Pass because some people would have went to the theater with our without the pass but Movie Pass must be doing some research to get an estimate of what that number could be. If theaters start offering their own program they are taking on the risk and still stand to lose money if their program isn't as well received as Movie Pass.
Old 05-04-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Pretty much. MoviePass pays for the ticket and folks can used that "saved" money on a ticket to buy more overpriced concessions.
Old 05-04-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, though, they make so little profit off of ticket sales, why cut someone into their profit centers when they themselves could offer a similar program (once Moviepass collapses) and pocket all the profits?
I guess it is the same reason that most hospitals and doctors subscribe to networks. They know that the network drives more business to them than they would otherwise see.

MP, being broader than just one chain, allows customers to choose where to go, rather than restricting them to just that chain. And the chain doesn't have to manage the program, MP is doing that for them.
Old 05-04-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But why be beholden to a third party that has shown a willingness to try to strong arm you into deals?

MP is broader than one chain, however, if they went under today and AMC came out with a 15 dollar a month all you can watch plan (if it were indeed a profitable business model), you lock them into your theaters and you get the concessions, plus you get much more data than Moviepass gets just buying tickets. There's nothing I see that Moviepass does that is proprietary to them. The most interesting thing about them is the whole check in app transferring money to a debit card, but there's not a sufficient amount of verification there without it being annoying to customers, and theaters don't even need those kinds of shenanigans if they had their own program.
Old 05-04-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the part that is annoying to customers? I have used it over a dozen times, and it has been remarkably simple and painless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.