Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

For someone who has done nothing but badmouth them, you sure keep up on new stuff with them.
Old 06-29-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
At this point, I’m happy having stayed out. There is too much baggage with the leadership of the companies — CEOs, Board of Directors, all of them. You would think at some point somebody would step in to course-correct the ship. I believe AMC’s launch and Alamo’s imminent product show there is some viability here. The $9.99 price point was a good tease, but it isn’t sustainable. Rather than bailing water out of the sinking ship and patching holes, MP & HMNY leadership is investing in a new motor and deck chairs.

Ousting the shysters running the show is what Wall Street is looking for.

A trail of lawsuits and a failed psychic hotline. Meet the Miami man running MoviePass

https://miamiherald.com/news/busines...213952134.html

Well, for someone that is "happy" they stayed out of it you sure seem happy to continue to bash the company at every turn.
Old 06-29-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Are we really going to go back down this path again?

Reporting news now equals bashing. Got it.

Yes, I have been keeping up with the e-mails they send me in my in-box since I am a customer. I do check the stock price as I did seriously consider investing. I have been keeping up with reporting on the company because it does interest me within my realm of studies and life experiences.

I think there is a viable product here and I think the stock could be a steal IF the company was actually serious and had leadership that knew how to run a company in any direction other than into the ground. Unfortunately, all signs point to the people currently at the helm being incompetent at best and dishonest at worst.

So if that is bashing, yep, sure. Do I like to poke fun at them? Hell yes, I’m a sarcastic guy.
Old 06-29-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

See, I couldn't even tell you were a customer. It looked like you were one of these guys screaming at them from the sidelines without knowing what they were talking about.
Old 06-29-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
See, I couldn't even tell you were a customer. It looked like you were one of these guys screaming at them from the sidelines without knowing what they were talking about.
Yep. He's a "customer".
Old 06-29-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And by that, jj means “con man”. He believes I’m funneling all my MP tickets into an offshore account and paying for a vacation home in the Cayman Islands. Alas, it’s a poor plan as not all of us can afford to go on vacation.

Actually, I’m a subsidizer lately. In the last month I’ve only used my MP for one matinee. Been too busy to get to the theater. Last night we did go see Jurassic World, but we went to a 3D showing (thank you AMC A-List).

I would think anybody would be happy that they didn’t pour money in at $.50/share at this point. Although, anybody who got in at the $.19 low may be happy today:

Why Helios and Matheson Stock Popped 35% Today

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2...-35-today.aspx

See, I’m not all doom and gloom.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 06-29-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Does anyone know when the upgrade feature goes live? Would love to use it to see Ant-Man
Old 06-30-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
And by that, jj means “con man”. He believes I’m funneling all my MP tickets into an offshore account and paying for a vacation home in the Cayman Islands. Alas, it’s a poor plan as not all of us can afford to go on vacation.

Actually, I’m a subsidizer lately. In the last month I’ve only used my MP for one matinee. Been too busy to get to the theater. Last night we did go see Jurassic World, but we went to a 3D showing (thank you AMC A-List).

I would think anybody would be happy that they didn’t pour money in at $.50/share at this point. Although, anybody who got in at the $.19 low may be happy today:

Why Helios and Matheson Stock Popped 35% Today

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2...-35-today.aspx

See, I’m not all doom and gloom.
To be fair, you have admitted to it.
Old 06-30-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
Does anyone know when the upgrade feature goes live? Would love to use it to see Ant-Man
They'll probably send out an email due to changes to their terms and conditions. Plus there will be an app update. I had update just now but didn't see much of a change.
Old 07-01-18, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just cancelled my $9.99 a month plan. I was a member back when it first came out for $20, canceled when increased to $30 and the 24 hour clock, rejoined at $9.99. I am switching to the AMC A list, I know its more, but the 2 theaters I go to are AMC (both within 5 miles of my house). Being able to see the same movie more than once and IMAX/3D made me do the switch. I don't see movie pass making it until the end of the year.
Old 07-01-18, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish there was an AMC within 30 minutes of my house. I have Cinemark 10 minutes away and a couple Regals within 20 minutes. The AMC is clear across town. Maybe with AMC offering a decent plan, Cinemark will up the ante with a decent plan of their own. The current $8.99 for one movie kind of sucks.
Old 07-01-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Originally Posted by mh4268
I just cancelled my $9.99 a month plan. I was a member back when it first came out for $20, canceled when increased to $30 and the 24 hour clock, rejoined at $9.99. I am switching to the AMC A list, I know its more, but the 2 theaters I go to are AMC (both within 5 miles of my house). Being able to see the same movie more than once and IMAX/3D made me do the switch. I don't see movie pass making it until the end of the year.
That does sound nice. And being able to reserve seats sounds even better. -- I often have to make two trips to the local AMC theater the same day if I want to use Movie Pass and don't want to end up in the front row, which is a colossal inconvenience even though the theater is only a few miles away. I will bolt MP and join them after my and my wife's pre-paid year is up (if they last that long).
Old 07-02-18, 09:02 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Despite plenty of speculation to the contrary, MoviePass isn't going away anytime soon and, in fact, parent company Helios and Matheson Analytics filed on Monday to raise $1.2 billion to make sure the subscription service that famously sells 30 tickets for the price of one thrives for years to come.

The company filed a shelf registration that will offer institutional investors equity and debt, and Helios and Matheson CEO Ted Farnsworth tells The Hollywood Reporter that he'll likely access the $1.2 billion over the course of a year or two.

A portion of the windfall will be used to make acquisitions, and Farnsworth says he is in final negotiations on a few already, though he declines to name the companies he will purchase.

If Helios and Matheson is successful in gaining access to such a large sum of money when the company sports only a $69 million market capitalization on Wall Street, it will represent a huge vote of confidence for its MoviePass asset.

Farnsworth, in fact, has been down this road before, having raised $400 million last year, also several times what the company's market cap was at the time.

"They've been predicting our demise for eight months and we're still standing," says Farnsworth. "Now we'll have a big war chest behind us."

MoviePass says it may reverse-split its stock both in order to raise money more easily and to make sure its shares are not delisted from Nasdaq, given they trade at less than a buck apiece, which is under Nasdaq's listing threshold.

Farnsworth says MoviePass will have 5 million subscribers by year's end and will generate $600 million in annual revenue. Doubters say MoviePass is basically selling dollar bills for 50 cents apiece, though Farnsworth recalls that the same was once said of Amazon.com.

"I was at a conference with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos in around 1999 when a headline referred to the company as 'Amazon.bomb.' Well, look who's laughing now," says Farnsworth.

MoviePass intends to make a profit by marketing films and other items, selling data and striking concession and ticketing relationships with theater chains that crave the traffic the service can generate — as it has been known to drive as much as 50 percent of the box office on certain titles, especially smaller ones where subscribers might otherwise balk at buying a full-price ticket.

MoviePass faces some new competition from AMC, as the nation's largest movie exhibitor launched its own service where subscribers get three movies tickets a week for $20 a month, but Farnsworth says that MoviePass has seen a 25 percent surge in new subs since then, probably because every news article noted that MoviePass was much cheaper — $10 a month for a ticket per day.

Farnsworth also says much of the $1.2 billion will go to its production company, MoviePass Films, as well as its film investment asset, MoviePass Ventures, which has thrown money behind American Animals and Gotti thus far.

"This is a game changer," says Farnsworth. "Now they know that we are not going away."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...5?facebook0602
Old 07-02-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I mean, wouldn't a huge vote in confidence mean that the stock rises? It's highly possible I just don't understand the stock market, tough.
Old 07-02-18, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Look at Jeff Bezos and Amazon, people laughed at him and who is laughing now?"

yep you're exactly like Jeff Bezos, sure you are buddy...
Old 07-02-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean, wouldn't a huge vote in confidence mean that the stock rises? It's highly possible I just don't understand the stock market, tough.
This is what's wrong with Wall Street. How can a company like this raise a billion dollars?

Disclaimer. I don't understand Wall Street. So if you own stock and they do a reverse split what does that mean? Do you own half the stock you once had? So does your investment suddenly halve?
Old 07-02-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you bought 4 shares of stock at $.25 each, your investment would be $1.00 for four shares.

Assuming the value held steady, a 4-1 reverse split would mean you now own 1 share that is worth $1.00. In theory your dollar value doesn’t change. However, your “power” as a shareholder has just been diluted — you now have 1/4 of the voting power you had before. Not really a big deal unless you are a huge shareholder and actually have some sway.

The advantage to MP is that their share price instantly jumps over the de-listing threshold of $1.00. It’s value didn’t actually change.

What concerns me about this access to $1.2 billion is the fact that the CEO didn’t understand last time that he didn’t actually have access to a $300 million line of credit — he had the ability to keep pumping out stock to the tune of $300 million in stock sales (which is a hell of a lot of stock at their price). So what exactly is this cash vehicle he is seeking this time? EDIT TO ADD: It looks like the same thing — authorization to sell off portions of the company (stock, debt, equity, etc.) up to $1.2 billion. So this raises another concern with the reverse stock spilt — you are going to decrease the number of shares to artificially raise share price so you can then create and sell more shares. Dilution.

Yes, this is one of the many things wrong with Wall Street, but enough of the dot-coms have succeeded with the “burn money till it pays” model that people are still suckers for it. As I’ve said, under different leadership I think this would be worth investing in. Either they will diversify enough to get out of the movie ticket business or somebody will gobble them up for access to their tech or database.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-02-18 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-04-18, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who gives a fuck? Go watch as many movies as you can and get your money's worth.

I did get an email from them today saying that they would no longer take PayPal as payment provider, so I figure it's because they don't want to pay PP's fees, which is understandable. They are now only taking credit/debit cards for monthly and yearly payments.
Old 07-04-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally used MP for the first time today to see Solo. Easy as pie. Checked in from the car, walked in and bought the ticket at the kiosk. No email about a picture or anything.
Old 07-04-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Finally used MP for the first time today to see Solo. Easy as pie. Checked in from the car, walked in and bought the ticket at the kiosk. No email about a picture or anything.
Don't throw away your stub though. Your app could ask you to upload it.

You don't get an e-mail, your app will prompt you to upload the stub.
Old 07-04-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I've never been prompted to upload a stub at any time other than immediately after check-in
Old 07-04-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
You don't get an e-mail, your app will prompt you to upload the stub.
I got an email.
Old 07-04-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I got an email.
I think he's saying that you don't get an email to request a stub of a movie you've seen, you get prompted in the app. Did you get an email requesting a stub, or are you talking about the email that informs you that they are going to start requesting stubs from you?
Old 07-04-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think he's saying that you don't get an email to request a stub of a movie you've seen, you get prompted in the app. Did you get an email requesting a stub, or are you talking about the email that informs you that they are going to start requesting stubs from you?
Oh, I see what you mean. The latter.
Old 07-05-18, 10:32 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I just got the peak pricing instructions email.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.