Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 04-20-18, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by tanman
I personally agree however I don't know if that will be a sustainable business model. Think of MP more like insurance. In order for those of us that heavily use the service to continue to do so we need a bunch of subscribers to even that out. We ultimately want MP to succeed and I think their unlimited plan attracts a lot of people who might not ultimately use it that much. If it's a sustainable business model at 4 movies for $10 then I'm all for it. But I don't think it will be. What we really need is for theater owners to finally relinquish and admit that MP drives a lot of extra business and to cut them in on a share of the concessions/discounted tickets. I think that is what will really keep MP afloat and a viable business. They just have to do a better job of demonstrating that. It's so popular now and the profit margins on concessions are incredibly high it seems to me it would be of immense benefit to give MP a 10% share and keep that going. But sometimes pride gets in the way of good business decisions. Honestly I think everyone should be rooting for MP; movie goers, theaters, and studios all have been benefiting and I think the theaters and studios should give some of that back to keep them around.
I signed up thinking I would use it a lot more. So I'm a guy they make money on. I use it at least once a month but so far I've only used it once for multiple movies in a few days. For $10 it's worth it, but now with golf season coming up, I'll limit myself to blockbusters.
Old 04-20-18, 06:56 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I'll limit myself to blockbusters.
That is what I find interesting about this. I, myself, don't generally use it for blockbusters. I won't be using it for Avengers, Deadpool, Solo, etc. That is the one downfall about having only reserve theatres around me. If you don't get your ticket in advance, you're not seeing it opening weekend. I know I could just wait and go during the week, but I'd rather just pay and see it opening night.

Though, the points I earn with AMC from seeing all the other movies gives me rewards to essentially see the blockbusters for free or a discount.

Still, the pass has already paid for itself for me. It is a great supplemental tool.
Old 04-20-18, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmmm. Guess I am going to have to rethink the service once my current annual plan is up. In the meantime, summer's coming and I expect I'll be seeing at least two movies a week, at least.
Old 04-20-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That is what I find interesting about this. I, myself, don't generally use it for blockbusters. I won't be using it for Avengers, Deadpool, Solo, etc. That is the one downfall about having only reserve theatres around me. If you don't get your ticket in advance, you're not seeing it opening weekend. I know I could just wait and go during the week, but I'd rather just pay and see it opening night.

Though, the points I earn with AMC from seeing all the other movies gives me rewards to essentially see the blockbusters for free or a discount.

Still, the pass has already paid for itself for me. It is a great supplemental tool.
The caveat is, AMC is trying to cut out being able to use Stubs with Moviepass.
Old 04-20-18, 10:33 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
They don't really have any way of doing that if you pay at a kiosk.
Old 04-20-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Didn't see this posted yesterday, but might be of interest.

MoviePass Parent’s Shares Crushed After Disclosing Pricing of Stock Sale
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...ng-1202758441/
Old 04-20-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is already part of their TOS that you can't use Stubs with MoviePass. Anyone doing that is already violating the terms.
Old 04-20-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as i know, i'm under the monthly $9.99 ,a movie a day plan. Hopefully they don't change that for existing customers. Haven't gotten any email notices about changes
Old 04-20-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
It is already part of their TOS that you can't use Stubs with MoviePass. Anyone doing that is already violating the terms.
You're violating the Stubs TOS, but not the MoviePass TOS.

I'm not particularly concerned about violating the Stubs TOS, because it's all bullshit. AMC gets their money either way.
Old 04-20-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
You're violating the Stubs TOS, but not the MoviePass TOS.

I'm not particularly concerned about violating the Stubs TOS, because it's all bullshit. AMC gets their money either way.
I thought I saw that they were either wiping out or threatening to wipe out the points of people they were catching.
Old 04-20-18, 01:20 PM

I'm not sure how exactly they would catch me if I'm using the kiosk, and I've never had any points taken away.

If they did though, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I would probably never even go to AMC theaters if not for MoviePass, and I certainly wouldn't pay for a Stubs membership.
Old 04-20-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, right, if you're not paying for Stubs then it's not much of a risk.
Old 04-20-18, 01:51 PM

I pay for Stubs, but it's once a year, and it pays for itself quickly. If they took away my points I just wouldn't pay for it again, because I would rarely go to AMC if not for MoviePass, and if I can't earn points on MoviePass transactions, there's no point in keeping Stubs.
Old 04-20-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Hoping MoviePass doesn't change for current members during summer. They will get clobbered. We always wondered how long it would last.
Old 04-20-18, 02:50 PM

They promised that the terms for people who signed up when they went to $9.95 per month were good for at least a year, so we'll see if they're good on their word I guess. As much as they stated that on social media, I don't think it was ever officially stated in the terms of our membership agreements.
Old 04-20-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Many times the terms will have some legal wording saying terms can change whenever they feel like changing them. It's bad business but it could happen depending on bad they are hemorrhaging money. If it does go a year, I'll be happy.
Old 04-21-18, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Didn't see this posted yesterday, but might be of interest.

MoviePass Parent’s Shares Crushed After Disclosing Pricing of Stock Sale
http://variety.com/2018/digital/news...ng-1202758441/
Uh oh...Hopefully they can hold out some. I really think theater owners and movie studios need to step up and cut them in a little. I really think it MP has generated significant revenue for both. MP isn't doing a good enough job convincing them of this.
Old 04-21-18, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

I mean, if this were profitable don't you think a chain like AMC would have tried it? The rumor was that they were going to but nowhere near this price point. They're big enough that if they put out the same terms as Moviepass they could cut them out, but instead they're basically laughing at them and taking their money.
It was never going to be profitable as it is. They were gambling on significantly increasing their subscriber base and then looking into being profitable through other means like advertising, concession profit sharing, negotiation of ticket prices, selling customer information. It has basically all been experimental, a giant risk. I think the main plan of the CEO was to actually increase the amount that people typically spend on movies/year demonstrate that then get a cut of the profits from the studios and theater chains.

The rumor was AMC was getting ready to release their own all you can eat type of plan but at a much higher pricing structure. They're bitter because MP beat them to the punch and significantly undercut them. They say that MP is cheapening the theater going experience and that they are underselling a movie ticket thus driving down consumer expectations on how much they are willing to pay. I don't agree. I think they are driving consumers to the theater more as well as encouraging people to spend more at concessions since their ticket was "free".
Old 04-21-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I personally agree however I don't know if that will be a sustainable business model. Think of MP more like insurance. In order for those of us that heavily use the service to continue to do so we need a bunch of subscribers to even that out. We ultimately want MP to succeed and I think their unlimited plan attracts a lot of people who might not ultimately use it that much. If it's a sustainable business model at 4 movies for $10 then I'm all for it. But I don't think it will be. What we really need is for theater owners to finally relinquish and admit that MP drives a lot of extra business and to cut them in on a share of the concessions/discounted tickets. I think that is what will really keep MP afloat and a viable business. They just have to do a better job of demonstrating that. It's so popular now and the profit margins on concessions are incredibly high it seems to me it would be of immense benefit to give MP a 10% share and keep that going. But sometimes pride gets in the way of good business decisions. Honestly I think everyone should be rooting for MP; movie goers, theaters, and studios all have been benefiting and I think the theaters and studios should give some of that back to keep them around.
Interesting you make an insurance analogy ... it’s more like an HMO though. You pay us a fee. We’ll cover your expenses IF you go where we tell you to go AND IF you see what we tell you you can see AND IF we can force the provider to give us a cut rate or kickback.

While this service may provide an uptick in an exhibitor’s business, I don’t see a reason for an exhibitor to give a cut of his/her share. Exhibitors are already essentially sub-letters to the studios ... the exhibitor builds a building, buys the equipment, pays the staff and utilities, pays for maintenance — yet the studio takes the lion’s share of the ticket. Hence, expensive concessions. Now you have another company trying to demand a cut.

This is more like the local business owner who built a sports complex in a nearby city. When he wasn’t generating as much revenue as he expected, he started trying to shake down the local hotels and restaurants claiming they “owed” him a cut of their profits for all of the business HE is bringing them.
Old 04-21-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, if this were profitable don't you think a chain like AMC would have tried it? The rumor was that they were going to but nowhere near this price point. They're big enough that if they put out the same terms as Moviepass they could cut them out, but instead they're basically laughing at them and taking their money.
There is a difference (to AMC) between what AMC can do and what MoviePass does ... it AMC launches a “movie buffet” then it loses ticket money on every ticket (a little revenue for themselves plus paying the studio). With MoviePass AMC is still getting full ticket price.
Old 04-21-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
They don't really have any way of doing that if you pay at a kiosk.
Actually, there is a very easy way ...
Old 04-21-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw someone on Twitter asking about this 4 movies per month (new subscribers) vs. 1 movie per day and Movie Pass responded and said your current plan is unaffected.

Well, if that's the case then new subscribers are getting shafted and they get this bonus useless IHeart Radio trial?

I guess we'll see how long this lasts considering the recent financial reports don't look encouraging.

Unfortunately due to my work schedule this month, I've only had time to see 2 movies.
And it’s not fair that my wife got gas for $2.39 the other day but I paid $2.79 today. Why would you expect anybody to be entitled to a product at any given price point?
Old 04-21-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That Variety article sounds even worse than the headline implies.

Shares of Helios and Matheson, traded on the Nasdaq with the ticker symbol “HMNY,” have been extremely volatile. The stock is now trading at less than 8% of its 52-week high closing price of $32.90 per share, after opening Thursday at $2.48.
I still find it laughable that people think the theaters should feel any sense of obligation to MoviePass’s daily operations or long term existence. It’s like saying my locally owned gym should be giving McDonalds a cut of its profits because McDonalds drives business to them.

As for AMC’s take ... please shoot me for agreeing with those rat-bastards ... yes, MP is cheapening the movie going experience. When MP finally fails and goes away (which it will, it is not sustainable) you will not continue to go to 6-10 (or more) movies a month at full ticket price. In fact, you are likely to go to fewer movies than you did before MP because of the percieved increase in cost. Before MP you saw $10 (or whatever your local price is) as the normal cost. Afterwards you will see that same price as exhorbitant.

That said, AMC is grossly overpriced (in my area) on its tickets. I’ve been using MP to see shows at AMC for convenience for $9 matinee tickets. AMC is the only chain in Springfield. Fortunately I either travel for work or don’t mind driving to another city. Every other city I go to has matinees for $4 - $6 and most provide a far better guest experience, lower concession prices with better quality, and superior presentation with better seating accommodations. I already saw AMC as overpriced. However, for those who do not have options to compare to, the “norm” will become “high” when the party ends.
Old 04-21-18, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I still find it laughable that people think the theaters should feel any sense of obligation to MoviePass’s daily operations or long term existence. It’s like saying my locally owned gym should be giving McDonalds a cut of its profits because McDonalds drives business to them.
That analogy would only apply if McDonald’s paid your gym membership, which they don’t. My local theater has seen a significant increase in ticket sales, and most are not for opening weekend blockbusters, but for lesser-known movies that have been out for a few weeks, where the theater cut is much higher. They will lose that extra revenue when MP dies.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
As for AMC’s take ... please shoot me for agreeing with those rat-bastards ... yes, MP is cheapening the movie going experience. When MP finally fails and goes away (which it will, it is not sustainable) you will not continue to go to 6-10 (or more) movies a month at full ticket price. In fact, you are likely to go to fewer movies than you did before MP because of the percieved increase in cost. Before MP you saw $10 (or whatever your local price is) as the normal cost. Afterwards you will see that same price as exhorbitant.
That is very presumptuous, and you have no data to back it up. While I can’t speak for others, I can assure you that my moviegoing habits will be no different in a post-MP world than they were before it came along. But, even if it were true, it does not prove that MP has “cheapened” anything. It only proves that studios are excessively greedy.
Old 04-21-18, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Every user will be different, but if MP fails, the theaters are losing a ton of money on me at least. Without MoviePass, I spend maybe $40 a year at theaters. With MoviePass, in six months, theaters have received at least $500 from MoviePass, and another $100 or so on concessions from just me. There has to be some sort of possible compromise to make it a win for all parties.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.