Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by dex14
Has anyone done two movies in two days? If I see a movie today at 4pm and another tomorrow at 2pm, will that work? If I remember correctly, in the past it was within a 24 hour period. Is that still the case?
I go friday night at the latest show. I time it so the movie lets out at midnight the kiosks are still open I can pick up tickets for a later showing saturday . This works out perfectly for big movies I don't have to worry about sold out shows.
Old 11-03-17, 03:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I go friday night at the latest show. I time it so the movie lets out at midnight the kiosks are still open I can pick up tickets for a later showing saturday . This works out perfectly for big movies I don't have to worry about sold out shows.
That's pretty smart.
Old 11-03-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Passes = Free Movie Coupons, this isn't that.
Originally Posted by DJariya
Movie pass is a credit card. Not a pass/coupon.

You’re all good.
Yup, worked for Thor no problem
Old 11-03-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
^Also, if you're using a rewards system that is based on the dollars that you spend (like Stubs), it's kind of better if you're buying a more expensive ticket (especially if you're not actually paying for it with your own money), as you will accrue rewards quicker.
Only rewards program I use is for Regal since it was free and Stubs charged at the time.
Old 11-03-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

There's a free version of Stubs, but the paid version is a lot better, and if you're not going to be paying for tickets anymore, it may be worth your consideration. MoviePass is the only reason that I continue to pay for Stubs.

I also try to buy or renew when they give you a $5 reward just for signing up.

They also ran a double points promotion all through September and October, and the rewards racked up crazy quickly during that period. If you're going to be going to the movies more often now, it really does pay for itself (unless you don't ever plan on buying concessions or seeing something that MoviePass doesn't pay for (like IMAX, 3D, or Fathom Events)
Old 11-03-17, 08:22 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I earned $65 through that promotion. Can use the funds to renew. I’m already set through 2019.
Old 11-03-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There's a free version of Stubs, but the paid version is a lot better, and if you're not going to be paying for tickets anymore, it may be worth your consideration. MoviePass is the only reason that I continue to pay for Stubs.

I also try to buy or renew when they give you a $5 reward just for signing up.

They also ran a double points promotion all through September and October, and the rewards racked up crazy quickly during that period. If you're going to be going to the movies more often now, it really does pay for itself (unless you don't ever plan on buying concessions or seeing something that MoviePass doesn't pay for (like IMAX, 3D, or Fathom Events)
Yeah, will probably join Stubs now. I'm heading back to AMC next week (I work weekends) so I'll join up at that time.
Old 11-09-17, 02:32 AM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Arrived November 6, so just a tad later than they predicted. Used it at AMC tonight for Thor Ragnarok, easy peasy. I'm excited! $120 is a LOT more than I usually spend in a year on the movies, so I plan to see 1-2 each month, if I can.

Originally Posted by story
Signed up today, and I think a buddy or two of mine will, too. Every once in a while, we call each other at the last minute about mid-evening shows after the kids are in bed but not too late that we're a mess at work the next day. We all tend to gravitate toward $5 Tuesdays, that sort of thing. I think this will be perfect for us.

The website told me my card will arrive in 5-7 business days. We shall see!
Old 11-09-17, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
Arrived November 6, so just a tad later than they predicted. Used it at AMC tonight for Thor Ragnarok, easy peasy. I'm excited! $120 is a LOT more than I usually spend in a year on the movies, so I plan to see 1-2 each month, if I can.
Easy is an understatement. Pull in the parking lot, pull up the app, find the theater, find the movie, push the button, go in and buy ticket. This isn't really saving me any money. I am seeing more in the theater than I did before in order to justify the cost and being a popcornoholic, the snacks are costing me a fortune. I'm going to have to start sneaking stuff in.
Old 11-09-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Anyone else seeing a button labeled "Check In if Movie Missing"? I'm seeing that button under each theater in the app. It is a nice feature, though I havent found anything showing that wasnt listed in the app.
Old 11-09-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
This isn't really saving me any money. I am seeing more in the theater than I did before in order to justify the cost and being a popcornoholic, the snacks are costing me a fortune. I'm going to have to start sneaking stuff in.
I've had a few popcorns, mainly because I've been racking up rewards credits using MoviePass! I actually figure I'm saving money. I've seen several films that I probably would have blind bought on disc down the road, but once was enough so that's money that will stay in my pocket.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Anyone else seeing a button labeled "Check In if Movie Missing"? I'm seeing that button under each theater in the app. It is a nice feature, though I havent found anything showing that wasnt listed in the app.
I've seen the same button. Not sure when it will come in handy, but nice to know it's there.
Old 11-09-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
I've also seen it being the only option. It wasn't for a theater I was going to, though.

I activated my card on Nov 1. I've seen 4 movies that would've come to a grand total of $35.70. Not too shabby for $9.95.
Old 11-11-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I just finished up my 2nd month of MoviePass, being charged my $9.95 this morning.

So I've spent $19.90 so far. And I've watched 19 films which would have cost me $178.02.

And I haven't factored in the rewards points/credit I've earned at 3 different theater chains.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 11-11-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-11-17, 09:30 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

In contrast :
I saw 4 in September, 2 in October, and none (so far) in November.
It's still a net benefit to me, but I really need to go see more.
Old 11-11-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've seen 4 so far, maybe five. Since I go for early shows the savings is not nearly as great. But I still like having it. No way would it be worth more than $10 a month though. I just can't use it enough. Can't wait for my first business trip when I can use it several days in a row.
Old 11-11-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

16 movies for me so far with 2 more this weekend. Going to hit it hard next week with Justice league.

Earned 6 free tickets so far with rewards, which I have given to my parents and friends.
Old 11-11-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw a movie yesterday, so that's five in November.
Old 11-13-17, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

So I've found the best way for me to see an IMAX 3D showing is to check in for a ticket to a regular show at night and purchase a ticket to a morning IMAX 3D showing. Anyone else have any other strategies? Splitting purchase methods would get confusing as some theaters in my area stopped including tax in the ticket price so the total price is always an odd number. I could calculate it exactly but wouldn't want the person punching in the wrong amount. I wish they would include a way to upgrade as I wouldn't mind paying for certain movies every once in awhile.
Old 11-13-17, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A) I thought you only had 30 minutes to buy your ticket?

B) When you have to strategize and make multiple trips it starts being too much work to save $10. I know people have all sorts of great gimmicks but for me even though the theater is just down the road, if I have to go twice that is way too much time invested. Then it becomes more about the thrill of the hunt instead of just using the program.
Old 11-13-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

You do only have 30 minutes to buy a ticket from the time you check in, but you don't have to check into a showtime that is near to the time you arrive. You can arrive at 10AM and check into a show at 10PM and buy that ticket. I think what tanman is saying is that you check into an evening show for a regular movie, and then buy a morning IMAX ticket instead. This would work if the cost of the evening ticket is more than the AM IMAX ticket. You wouldn't have to make two trips, but it's still against the TOS, and could raise a red flag if the charge isn't exactly right.
Old 11-13-17, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is saving me enough money to where if I want too an occasional IMAX, I'll just buy it. The IMAX had changed to reserve seating anyways. I used to catch one on a whim and just show up early for my favorite seat but now I gotta plan further ahead.

Yeah, I know, first world problems
Old 11-13-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm paying the $10 a month whether I'm hitting movies on a regular basis or not, because I know that once the holiday season kicks in, I will be going a LOT.
Old 11-13-17, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
This is saving me enough money to where if I want too an occasional IMAX, I'll just buy it.
This. But substituting IMAX for BIG new releases (like JL or TLJ). I got to get my tickets in advance for those. Since I still earn AMC rewards buying via MoviePass, I just use those funds to pay for those tickets.
Old 11-13-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This. But substituting IMAX for BIG new releases (like JL or TLJ). I got to get my tickets in advance for those. Since I still earn AMC rewards buying via MoviePass, I just use those funds to pay for those tickets.
Yeah, we did advance tickets for ThorR and TLJ ourselves....
Old 11-13-17, 08:38 AM

Here is an interesting article from IndieWire:

5 Reasons Why MoviePass is the Disruption That Movie Theaters Desperately Need
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/mov...ed-1201894922/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.