Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 05-14-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
I understand that even two movies a month is more than what people would normally see, but that seems like two opposing messages. I mean how would Moviepass even get a cut of the concessions, is it only for Moviepass users who buy concessions or is it all concessions? Because they have no way of tracking that at all.
It should be relatively easy to estimate. The theater management knows exactly how many of their ticket sales come from MoviePass. My local theater even prints "MOVIEPASS" right on the ticket stub. They can also compare the volume of concession sales to their "pre-MoviePass" volume, and determine the difference, positive or negative.

Let's say that a theater observes that 10% of their sales come from MoviePass, but they see a difference of 30% in concession sales relative to patron numbers. It is not unreasonable to credit much of that difference to MP patrons.
Old 05-14-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It should be relatively easy to estimate. The theater management knows exactly how many of their ticket sales come from MoviePass. My local theater even prints "MOVIEPASS" right on the ticket stub. They can also compare the volume of concession sales to their "pre-MoviePass" volume, and determine the difference, positive or negative.

Let's say that a theater observes that 10% of their sales come from MoviePass, but they see a difference of 30% in concession sales relative to patron numbers. It is not unreasonable to credit much of that difference to MP patrons.
So what is Moviepass demanding? A cut of the concession from Moviepass users, or a cut from all concessions based on relative sales that have a ton of factors? If it's the former, and they could actually track it, that might be attractive to the theaters, but if it's the latter, that seems like a dealbreaker, especially as you go further out from non-moviepass days and they claim that people will settle into seeing less movies.

Anecdotally, when I first got Moviepass I loaded up on concessions the first couple of times, then I figured I want to live a bit longer and slowed down on all that fake butter...
Old 05-14-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
*By “unlimited” we literally and figuratively mean it is limited to one per day if you can actually find 30 movies playing in your market. You can see a movie as many times as you want as long as you only want to see it once. Offer good at every theater except theaters where it is not valid. Offer valid for any movie as long as it is a movie we say you can see.
Are you still on this bullshit? Who exactly is making these claims, because it isn't Moviepass. Even if what you said is true, and it's not, does that justify you actively scamming them and attempting to make them fail?
Old 05-14-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This reminds me of the early days of DVD's through REEL.com and 800.com. Everyone knew it was a money losing venture but the debate was whether the advertising and the data could be monetized to offset the losses. Ultimately they could not. Arguments ensued between the people milking the system with multiple accounts and gaming the rules in order to get more faster before it blew up, versus the people willing to abide by the rules in order to prolong the benefits.
Old 05-14-18, 03:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

umm...
Old 05-15-18, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

Forget the movies. I think I'm getting my $9.99 worth in entertainment just watching this company self destruct.

Old 05-15-18, 06:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone received the email and has an extra free month of Moviepass they haven't given away yet, I will take it off your hands. I have thought about joining for this summer anyway.
Old 05-15-18, 08:01 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by redstang93
If anyone received the email and has an extra free month of Moviepass they haven't given away yet, I will take it off your hands. I have thought about joining for this summer anyway.
https://moviepass.us13.list-manage.c...5&e=a8486bc420
Old 05-15-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't do it, they'll just run out of money faster! Ah, too late...

redstang93, you better buy a ton of concessions...
Old 05-15-18, 09:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Dex! I signed up.

I normally don’t, but would actually probably get concessions since I am not buying a ticket every time I see a movie.
Old 05-15-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
umm...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Wow. Shia LaBeouf's career has really hit rock bottom.
Old 05-15-18, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad

Putting a special ticket in the system for MP purchases is a good way to track the number of MP tickets sold. Where it gets rough is in looking at the comps. You can tell if you sold more tickets than the same day/week/month last year, but it is tough to say how much of that came from MP, how much came from the weather, or how much was the movies playing at the time.

I think the underlying problem is that exhibitors have very little baseline data when it comes to individual customers. Ironically, programs like AMC’s Stubs program would provide the best data as you could see individual users’ purchasing patterns, but they don’t want people using Stubs with MP.
Old 05-15-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
Are you still on this bullshit? Who exactly is making these claims, because it isn't Moviepass. Even if what you said is true, and it's not, does that justify you actively scamming them and attempting to make them fail?

MoviePass Not Allowing Subscribers In Some Markets to Buy Tickets to ‘Red Sparrow’
MoviePass has appeared to be using their customer base as a bargaining chip in negotiations with high-powered companies like AMC. And now, more evidence of that has come with a new tactic.

Several MoviePass subscribers reported that when they attempted to buy a ticket to the Jennifer Lawrence spy thriller Red Sparrow through the app, they received the message, “This screening is not supported.” This seems to be limited to select markets, as our own Ethan Anderton was able to use MoviePass to buy a ticket to a showing of the movie on Thursday night in Indiana.

http://www.slashfilm.com/red-sparrow-on-moviepass/

MoviePass Vs. AMC: Ticket Service No Longer Covers Chain’s Busiest Theaters; Exhibitor Rips “False Statements”
On Thursday, MoviePass shaved 10 of the busiest AMC locations off its app in an effort to take a hard position against the nation’s largest movie theater chain. MoviePass is seeking a $3 cut on AMC tickets that it covers, plus 20% of concessions given the foot traffic it sends to AMC (a total estimated at about $2 million a week, per MoviePass insiders).
http://deadline.com/2018/01/moviepas...ge-1202269412/

MoviePass blocks repeat viewings, does not rule out return to 'unlimited' offer
As Avengers: Infinity War targets a record opening weekend in North America, MoviePass, the subscription service that has come under fire from critics who say its business model is unsustainable, has amended its terms to prevent members from using the pass to watch a film more than once in the theatre.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/mov...128659.article

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah ... the non-existent theater located at 1405 E. Jackson Street in Macomb, IL ... 1/2 price concessions on Tuesdays!

http://www.earlann.net/rialtocinemas.html

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-15-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MoviePass Not Allowing Subscribers In Some Markets to Buy Tickets to ‘Red Sparrow’
MoviePass has appeared to be using their customer base as a bargaining chip in negotiations with high-powered companies like AMC. And now, more evidence of that has come with a new tactic.

Several MoviePass subscribers reported that when they attempted to buy a ticket to the Jennifer Lawrence spy thriller Red Sparrow through the app, they received the message, “This screening is not supported.” This seems to be limited to select markets, as our own Ethan Anderton was able to use MoviePass to buy a ticket to a showing of the movie on Thursday night in Indiana.

http://www.slashfilm.com/red-sparrow-on-moviepass/
Sigh. Not this shit again.
As has been previously stated several times, the vast, vast, vast majority of moviepass members were able to see Red Sparrow with Moviepass.

MoviePass Vs. AMC: Ticket Service No Longer Covers Chain’s Busiest Theaters; Exhibitor Rips “False Statements”
On Thursday, MoviePass shaved 10 of the busiest AMC locations off its app in an effort to take a hard position against the nation’s largest movie theater chain. MoviePass is seeking a $3 cut on AMC tickets that it covers, plus 20% of concessions given the foot traffic it sends to AMC (a total estimated at about $2 million a week, per MoviePass insiders).
http://deadline.com/2018/01/moviepas...ge-1202269412/
As previously discussed several times 10 theaters were pulled. One each in 10 of the biggest markets in the US. There were plenty of options for members to use their moviepasses in those cities.

MoviePass blocks repeat viewings, does not rule out return to 'unlimited' offer
As Avengers: Infinity War targets a record opening weekend in North America, MoviePass, the subscription service that has come under fire from critics who say its business model is unsustainable, has amended its terms to prevent members from using the pass to watch a film more than once in the theatre.
https://www.screendaily.com/news/mov...128659.article
They did that to combat scammers, like yourself. So you only have yourself to blame for that.

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah ... the non-existent theater located at 1405 E. Jackson Street in Macomb, IL ... 1/2 price concessions on Tuesdays!

http://www.earlann.net/rialtocinemas.html
Yeah. You found a theater that isn't part of the Moviepass program. They are out there, in fact Moviepass has said that they are only taken at about 90% of theaters. Interesting though is the fact that I previously pointed out, and you seemingly ignored, is that neither Fandango nor Moviefone list that theater. There website also looks like it belongs on a geocities domain. Moviepass is accepted at the two closest real theaters to Macomb though.

Just curious, since you seem to have so much hate for the program that you are actively trying to get it to fail, why are you even a member?
Old 05-16-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mitch, is that you?

You said none of that was true. There is documentation that every bit is true. Just because you are above us country bumpkins doesn’t make it false.

As for you following members around the forums and yelling “SCAM” ...

... have you even read MP’s TOS? I know facts don’t matter to you, but you may want to brush up on them instead of assuring us that your experience is the only reality. I can tell you that I am 100% in compliance with MP’s TOS.

And, MP’s home page still is proclaiming “Unlimited Movies — Any movie. Any day. Any theater.” That is demonstrably false.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-16-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mitch, is that you?

You said none of that was true. There is documentation that every bit is true. Just because you are above us country bumpkins doesn’t make it false.

As for you following members around the forums and yelling “SCAM” ...

[img]htps://media.giphy.com/media/HiBNkOKRhBJew/giphy.gif[/img]

... have you even read MP’s TOS? I know facts don’t matter to you, but you may want to brush up on them instead of assuring us that your experience is the only reality. I can tell you that I am 100% in compliance with MP’s TOS.

And, MP’s home page still is proclaiming “Unlimited Movies — Any movie. Any day. Any theater.” That is demonstrably false.
Sigh. Still attempting to say that you arent scamming moviepass. That's really sad. It is funny that you bring up, yet again, how I am somehow asserting that my reality is the only one that exists, when that is exactly what you are attempting to do. You really should look up the definition of "scam" before you claim that you are not scamming moviepass.

And the only members here that I call out as scammers are, in fact, scamming moviepass. That would be you, for one. By the way, you still havent answered the question about why you are a member if the program is so terrible and you hate it so.
Old 05-16-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Wow. Shia LaBeouf's career has really hit rock bottom.
Eh, Bill Hader stars in a HBO show yet can still be seen making silly noises in Pringles commercials. A check's a check.
Old 05-16-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am still waiting for you to show me which MP TOS I have violated. As I said, I can assure I have violated none so I would appreciate it if you cease your personal attacks on me and other DVDTalkers.

I am a member because it had value for me when I signed up. Now I am not so sure that it is a value to me with all the new restrictions which didn’t exist when I signed up. I am considering canceling.
Old 05-16-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/t...-startups.html

Initial paragraphs:

I’ve got a great idea for a start-up. Want to hear the pitch?

It’s called the 75 Cent Dollar Store. We’re going to sell dollar bills for 75 cents — no service charges, no hidden fees, just crisp $1 bills for the price of three quarters. It’ll be huge.

You’re probably thinking: Wait, won’t your store go out of business? Nope. I’ve got that part figured out, too. The plan is to get tons of people addicted to buying 75-cent dollars so that, in a year or two, we can jack up the price to $1.50 or $2 without losing any customers. Or maybe we’ll get so big that the Treasury Department will start selling us dollar bills at a discount. We could also collect data about our customers and sell it to the highest bidder. Honestly, we’ve got plenty of options.

If you’re still skeptical, I don’t blame you. It used to be that in order to survive, businesses had to sell goods or services above cost. But that model is so 20th century. The new way to make it in business is to spend big, grow fast and use Kilimanjaro-size piles of investor cash to subsidize your losses, with a plan to become profitable somewhere down the road.
This basically is the dot com bubble.

Also:
https://entertainment.theonion.com/c...source=Twitter
Old 05-16-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I want to see is concession numbers from chains that allow MP. I've been using MP at Cinemark at least once or twice every week and I'm buying popcorn or drinks every time anymore.

I have a feeling that corporate MP is placing bets that the participating theaters will help them out.
Old 05-17-18, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

That was a very fascinating article. I didn't know that all those companies weren't profitable. And not only that but losing multiple billions of dollars a year. Movie Pass really shouldn't feel too bad then. I really wish they would stop speaking so much doom and gloom on them. I don't understand why they are made out to be the bad guy when anyone remotely interested in the service should want them to succeed.
Old 05-17-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am still waiting for you to show me which MP TOS I have violated. As I said, I can assure I have violated none so I would appreciate it if you cease your personal attacks on me and other DVDTalkers.
You are the only one talking about the Moviepass terms of service. You seem to be trying to justify your scamming of Moviepass by claiming that your scamming doesn't violate their TOS. Bottom line is that Yes you are scamming moviepass when you buy a ticket for a movie that you have no intention of seeing just to give a "FUCK YOU" to Moviepass. Again what world do you live in that you seem to think that what you are doing is not scamming moviepass?

What personal attacks are you talking about? Calling out people that have admitted to scamming moviepass and actively worked to get the program to fail? That isn't a personal attack. Simply restating what you yourself have already posted.

I am a member because it had value for me when I signed up. Now I am not so sure that it is a value to me with all the new restrictions which didn’t exist when I signed up. I am considering canceling.
I really wish you would cancel. Then you wouldn't be able to scam them anymore, and I wouldn't have to read you whine about how you aren't scamming them, even though you are.
Old 05-17-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Yeah, I'm searching all over their website FAQs and while there are plenty of disclaimers in their ever-changing Terms of Service (like Same-Day tickets only, Only each movie once, no sharing of Movie Pass, requirements of verification of ticket purchased), I don't see anything that says I actually have to sit through the movie I bought a ticket to.

Put up or shut up.
Old 05-17-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

You didn't buy the ticket.
Old 05-17-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I'm searching all over their website FAQs and while there are plenty of disclaimers in their ever-changing Terms of Service (like Same-Day tickets only, Only each movie once, no sharing of Movie Pass, requirements of verification of ticket purchased), I don't see anything that says I actually have to sit through the movie I bought a ticket to.

Put up or shut up.
2.17. MOVIEPASS SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE SUBSCRIBER ONLY AND ARE NOT TO BE SHARED WITH ANYONE ELSE. MOVIEPASS SUBSCRIBERS MAY ONLY USE THE MOVIEPASS APPLICATION ON ONE ACTIVE DEVICE (PHONE) AT A TIME. MOVIEPASS SUBSCRIBERS ARE ONLY PERMITTED TO SWITCH ACTIVE DEVICES ONCE PER MONTH.

2.18. You agree that MoviePass may, at its sole discretion and without prior notice, suspend your subscription or terminate your Account and MoviePass Card on a temporary or permanent basis, and block your access to the Site at their sole discretion if:

(i) You miss a payment. MoviePass will contact you by email and if payment is made within 10 days after we send our email, MoviePass will reactivate the account within 48 hours of payment. You will not be permitted to use the account until it has been reactivated. If you miss more than one payment, we reserve the right to permanently bar you from subscribing to or using the Service. The MoviePass system records the necessary information to turn over to collection agencies. When required, MoviePass reserves the right to use a collection agency to retrieve any outstanding balances. MoviePass reserves the right to seek appropriate punitive damages.

(ii) MoviePass suspects that you provided incorrect or false information to MoviePass when creating an Account or signing up for a subscription.

(iii) A breach of these Terms of Use by you.

(iv) You permit another person to use your MoviePass Card to purchase a movie ticket or you use another subscriber's MoviePass Card other than your own to purchase a ticket. Your MoviePass Card is intended only for your own use and benefit as an approved account holder and your use thereof is subject to these Terms of Use.

(v) You attempt to purchase a ticket to a movie that is different from the movie you reserved in the MoviePass App, or you attempt to purchase a ticket in violation of Section 2.3 such as purchasing more than one ticket within any one calendar day.

(vi) You purchase tickets on Fandango, MovieTickets.com, or any other third-party source using your MoviePass Card.

(vii) You give (including as a gift), sell, or attempt to give or sell purchased MoviePass tickets to other patrons.

(viii) You purchase tickets for a purpose other than viewing a movie, such as to earn theater loyalty program points.

(ix) On more than one occasion during any thirty (30) day period you do not view the movie for which you purchased a ticket with your MoviePass Card in its entirety.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.