Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 07-15-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yesterday a guy who is a manager at a theater chain said on reddit that people were paying the surge pricing, walking in to an empty theater, and walking back out demanding their money back. That's going to be the reaction, but like you and others have said, nothing the theater can do about it. I think most people figured hey, they'll charge me extra because the theater is packed and demand is high.

But some of the local theaters even had to put up signs saying they were unaffiliated with Moviepass and to not expect them to be able to do anything about problems with the service.

I'm just saying I'm sure with this surge pricing basically going from beta to all markets within two days, I'm sure the poor theater employees have had to deal with some flak.
Undoubtedly ... and I feel for the theater workers. Kudos to the theaters who have put up signs. Hopefully the signs say something like:

“This theater accepts MoviePass as a form of payment. We are not affiliated with MoviePass and have no say in their policies. We do not share customer or ticketing data with MoviePass.

Any additional MoviePass surcharges beyond our admission price are implemented and pocketed by MoviePass. Please direct any MoviePass concerns to (post the secret phone number).”
Old 07-16-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Just checked the app. No peak pricing. Looks like they’re using that to target getting more money from weekend traffic even if the theatres are dead.

So if you don’t work a typical Monday thru Friday week, your best bet is to see something during the week.
Old 07-16-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just checked the app. No peak pricing. Looks like they’re using that to target getting more money from weekend traffic even if the theatres are dead.

So if you don’t work a typical Monday thru Friday week, your best bet is to see something during the week.
Same here. Note that last week, they started on a Wednesday, so I'm curious to see what happens.
Old 07-16-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

I work weekends anyways, so I figured this peak-pricing wouldn't affect me.
Old 07-16-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

11 cent close today ...

That means they are now looking at a 10-1 reverse stock split to get back over the $1 mark needed to stay listed. I scoffed when they filed and said it could be as much as a 250-1 reverse split, but now that is looking like it may be closer to the truth.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/mo...e-low-14652091

Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc (HMNY - Get Report) CEO Ted Farnsworth told TheStreet last week that MoviePass will go from burning cash to making $600 million by the end of the year, but it looks investors aren't so sure.

Farnsworth plans to make Helios and Matheson profitable in less than six months by leveraging MoviePass' 3 million subscribers to provide marketing and analytics to film studios to increase its revenue by $6 to $8 per subscriber, in addition to producing its own films.
Increase revenue by $6-$8 per subscriber? Hmmm ... surge pricing is being seen in what increments, roughly? About $3 and $4 per reports ... times the two movies a month that they say the average user sees ... yeah, selling analytics and marketing ... right.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-16-18 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Curious to see if the surcharge will return tonight and through the weekend. No peak pricing showing up for me yet today. Would like to catch a 4 pm showing of Equalizer 2 if it stays that way.
Old 07-19-18, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Vice News on HBO have a segment tonight on MoviePass

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fvicenews%2Fvideos%2F1096874827139133%2F&show_text=1&width=476" width="476" height="632" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 07-19-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Just watched the Vice News piece on HBO.

Nothing was said in it that we didn’t already know. Mitch said they’re going to make some money by selling your data. If you don’t like that, don’t join as he said.

And they talked briefly about the stock collapse. The Movie Pass founders just circled passed that saying that Netflix also struggled on Wall Street when it launched.
Old 07-19-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The answer to the titular question ...

Apparently not.

Haven’t used it in a while (I’ve become a dream customer). Tried to use it to go to Incredibles 2 with the family and my nephews ... $2.57 convenience surcharge with 2 seats sold in the theater. I was going to bite the bullet and pay it, but the app froze up. Rebooted, went through the process again, said OK to the surcharge again, and it froze up again. Rebooted, tried to do a customer service chat ... and it froze up.

I gave up and paid for the ticket out of pocket. After the show I was able to get the chat to work ... and was greeted with a response that it may be days before I get a reply (but don’t worry, I won’t lose my place in line!).

So they say they won’t credit you back unless you have pre-approval, but they don’t staff adequately enough (or at all) to be able to address their system problems in an appropriate manner.

I missed my July payment date, so I have the date on my calendar to cancel in August. Hoping to use it a few more times, but I think it’s time for me to jump off this merry-go round of customer fuckery. I signed up for $9.99 for “any movie, any day, any theater” with the only limitation being one movie per day; I did not sign up for a coupon/discount card that is practically useless.

Wondering if any states’ Attorney General or other consumer protection bureaus have started to look into MoviePass.

As I’ve said, I think MoviePass has something and could be a profitable company. However, the fools in charge of it are just a bunch of con artists who will run it to penny stock status and finally out of business.

Sell my data, I’m OK with that as long as you give me the product I was promised. This has been one big game of bait and switch.
Old 07-20-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Peak pricing returned last night, and I realize they're still experimenting, but it's getting worse.

I'm pretty sure Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World 2 weren't surging last week. They are this week.

The top prices are higher now, but now the actual charge varies by theater/time, so they might actually have put in some logic this time around. and people reporting that they clicked on showtimes without peak pricing and then were shown a charge, so it's super buggy.
Old 07-20-18, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

peak pricing for "The Purge" 16 days after release? Fuck you, MP!
Old 07-20-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by A-aron
peak pricing for "The Purge" 16 days after release? Fuck you, MP!
Well, Incredibles 2 released over a month ago... :O
Old 07-20-18, 09:17 AM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Went to Won't You Be My Neighbor? last night (I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING!) at a Landmark Cinema venue. Had eTicketing for the first time. Scanned my QR code at the box office, no sweat.

Still have not turned in a photo of a ticket. When did that start, again?
Old 07-20-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
Went to Won't You Be My Neighbor? last night (I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING!) at a Landmark Cinema venue. Had eTicketing for the first time. Scanned my QR code at the box office, no sweat.

Still have not turned in a photo of a ticket. When did that start, again?
But you don't need stub verification with an eticket, right?

I think they rolled it out to everyone last week.
Old 07-20-18, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But you don't need stub verification with an eticket, right?
Correct. You don't have to submit stubs for e-tickets because there's no need to prove that you bought the right thing, they just buy it for you.
Old 07-20-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

5 movies showing peak tonight. Hotel, Equalizer, Mama Mia, Incredibles, unfriended

Last week peak pricing was $3, tonight it's $4.
Old 07-21-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

MoviePass replied to my issue ... they told me to reboot the app and provided me a patronizing tutorial on the basic use of an iPhone.

I told them I did reboot three times, and the app froze each time. They asked me to send them a picture of the issue. They couldn’t explain how I was supposed to do that a day later when the app was “working”.

I also asked how a customer is supposed to get pre-authorization for a reimbursement if the customer is in line for the show, the app doesn’t work, and they don’t bother to reply for a minimum of 24 hours.

They closed the help ticket and said the issue was resolved.

Wow ... just wow.
Old 07-21-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
5 movies showing peak tonight. Hotel, Equalizer, Mama Mia, Incredibles, unfriended

The AMC by me is only showing Momma Mia with a possible peak pricing in the afternoon.
Old 07-21-18, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Same where I live. Fucking ridiculous. I checked with the AMC app and most of the afternoon shows were empty with only less than 10 patrons. Really, fuck MoviePass. This whole changing terms of service as we go should be completely illegal.
Old 07-22-18, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Unfriended: Dark Web is at Peak Pricing. It's a $3.89 surcharge.

Screw that. I was thinking about seeing it today, but I'll just hold off until Monday.

I don't understand the logistics and calling this a "high demand" movie. It's only playing in about 1,500 theaters and I'm sure none of them will be even 1/4 full for this movie.

It's the late afternoon showings that are at "Peak Pricing" I noticed the early afternoon at 1pm PT is not showing it.
Old 07-22-18, 04:06 PM

Are the early showings matinee priced? That's been the assumption I've been working off of, that they start surge pricing when the tickets are full price.
Old 07-22-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

A different theater near me, which I frequent a lot, has a $5.19 surcharge for this peak pricing.

Full ticket prices usually don't start until 5 or 6pm. Matinee pricing varies where I live. Some charge $9-11 and another theater charges $13.

Full ticket prices where I live usually start at $14 and go as high as $17 or 18
Old 07-22-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My gf & I considered seeing Ant-Man last night, but surge pricing in my area was $5.14 (!) and that's for a theater that is rarely packed, especially for films that have been out a couple weeks.

We decided to wait until a weekday.

I could deal with $2, maybe $3, but anything over that and it's getting to be a bit much.
Old 07-22-18, 04:26 PM

Gotcha. So MoviePass loses money on every ticket for you regardless of time of day. Of the two theaters I frequent, show times before noon are about $6, and then from noon to 6PM, they are $7 at one theater and $9 at the other. Regular evening prices are about $11-12.50
Old 07-22-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Gotcha. So MoviePass loses money on every ticket for you regardless of time of day. Of the two theaters I frequent, show times before noon are about $6, and then from noon to 6PM, they are $7 at one theater and $9 at the other. Regular evening prices are about $11-12.50
Don't they lose money on everyone no matter the time as well?

Well, I take that back, the local theater had 5 dollar movie sundays and surge prices are like over five bucks. So if someone is dumb enough to use Moviepass there then they make a few cents.

Also noticed different prices for different times. The theater I'm looking at has for ant man:
6:30 5.19
7:05 5.84
7:55 5.84
9:25 4.54
10:00 4.54
10:30 4.54

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.