Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I bought this when it was 6.95 a month, paying 89$ in advance for the year (i think it was that much lol). Bought as christmas gifts as well. Anyway, I'm disappointed only with the no repeat viewings because even though I've seen close to 16 movies, two of them were repeats because I bought a ticket then couldn't go and bought another ticket for the same movie for another showing. I think I've seen only the Last Jedi multiple times. Even with the changes, Moviepass is still a great deal if you see at least a minimum of 2 movies a month, which is what i've done. The service also allowed me to see movies that I wouldn't have normally wanted to pay for and would have waited for them to come to a streaming service (Netflix/Amazon) or a pay service I already pay for. Anyway, I'm very happy with the service and even the changes can't change the fact, to me at least , that its a great deal for seeing multiple movies, especially now with the summer blockbusters all coming. I can actually buy popcorn, pop and candy and not feel like I spent too much.
Old 04-30-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
And that's the key point. We have to be realistic. If we want MP to survive, we're going to have to make some concessions (no pun intended). We can't have our cake and eat it, too.

I don't like the new one viewing restriction, but it will still be better than paying full price for every movie. So I am hoping for two things:
  1. Most people won't care about the restriction, and keep their subscriptions - especially the occasional viewers who are essentially subsidizing my habit
  2. Those who do rage quit are mostly heavy users, thus reducing the cost to the company, and increasing its viability
I don't like the new restrictions either, but they don't affect me. I can't tell you the last time I saw a movie in theaters multiple times. I just don't do it. So as long as too many people don't quit, I'm fine with the once a movie restriction. What I have a problem with are the assholes that are so bitter at Moviepass that they will buy a ticket to something that they have no intention of seeing just to make moviepass pay for one more ticket. Those are the idiots that are going to get the whole program shutdown.
Old 04-30-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Something I’ve not seen before today. A theater near me has IW on at least 4 screens, yet the only ones that were available were 11:00 am and 9:15pm. Not 3D either. Curious.
Old 04-30-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Maybe they were sold out?
Old 04-30-18, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Maybe they were sold out?
Nope. Checked availability on their website.
Old 04-30-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Nope. Checked availability on their website.
I guess it's one of those baffling things. Maybe the theater is flagging those screens as premium incorrectly.
Old 04-30-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is what is happening. I've noticed that one of my local theaters has most of the showings in their largest auditoriums listed as "premium", even though they are the same ticket price. I think they are trying to limit MP purchases to the smaller auditoriums. But I confess I don't know why they think that would benefit them.
Old 04-30-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I've been noticing some ads on Facebook for Sinemia, an apparent competitor to Movie Pass. I know some mentioned it here already.

Apparently their deal is $8.99 for 2 tickets per month (OSCAR promo code), but allows more theaters and you can use it for IMAX and 3D.

I do notice that the one big drawback is that the website says you're going to be billed for 1 year. So they want you to fully commit to it.

This would be nice to use at my local Harkins theatre since they don't honor Movie Pass and charge between $12-14 per showing. I prefer that theatre over Regal and AMC. But, I'm a little gun shy about the full year billing and adding another entertainment expense.
Old 04-30-18, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I guess it's one of those baffling things. Maybe the theater is flagging those screens as premium incorrectly.
It's weird. On Sunday they were listing over a dozen showings (pretty much everything except for 3D), today...2 showings. I plan to go see it Wednesday....somewhere.
Old 04-30-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about Sinemia. The IMAX is at the AMC. I used to go to it a lot before MP. But the IMAX screen is now reserved seating. Kinda bums me out because I would go there on a whim early enough to get a good seat.
Old 04-30-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Got an email saying they may have charged me twice. I just checked and, sure enough, they charged me twice. Email said refund should be issued in 24 hrs but could take 5-7 days.
Old 04-30-18, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
No you just said that anyone that disagreed with you was living in a reality that was somehow not actually reality. Which is complete bullshit.

1.) I have yet to see this, as I stated previously and you seemingly ignored.
2.) Sure. 10 theaters, in 10 different big cities. Still plenty of options for users to see the movie they wanted in those giant cities.
3.) They have been very up front about this that some theaters are not supported. This seems to be more a function of the theater than Moviepass.
4.) The number of movies that I am allowed to see in a month has not been reduced.
5.) Again, this is not something that I have encountered.

What exactly is your hardon against moviepass? Are you just bitter that there are no theaters around you that take it?
I am glad you have not encountered these occurrences, but that does not mean they didn't happen in the past (and could happen again in the future) or should be marginalized for the users who did experience them and continue to experience them.

I take umbrage with false claims made by the company. I take umbrage with people acting obtuse and telling the rest of us we are making things up or that it doesn't matter when we do have an issue. I have an issue with the constantly moving goal posts with no notice.

MoviePass is free to run their business as they see fit, which they obviously do. But don't piss on my leg and tell me I owe you money now because you're a Russian hooker.
Old 04-30-18, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I am glad you have not encountered these occurrences, but that does not mean they didn't happen in the past (and could happen again in the future) or should be marginalized for the users who did experience them and continue to experience them.

I take umbrage with false claims made by the company. I take umbrage with people acting obtuse and telling the rest of us we are making things up or that it doesn't matter when we do have an issue. I have an issue with the constantly moving goal posts with no notice.

MoviePass is free to run their business as they see fit, which they obviously do. But don't piss on my leg and tell me I owe you money now because you're a Russian hooker.
I don’t think anyone is trying to claim that you made anything up, or that the issues you detailed never happened. What people have a problem with is your tendency to generalize, and claim (or at least infer) that the issues were much more widespread than they actually were. In some cases, you implied that the issues affected everyone, everywhere. That has never been the case.

As for “moving goal posts with no notice”, I really don’t know what you mean. MP can’t do anything without intense scrutiny from customers and the media. For example, within hours of the first notice going out about the one viewing change, I read no fewer than five articles about it. Besides, what they are really doing is trying to adapt their business plan so they can survive, and continue to provide a service that people will find valuable. If they are somehow wrong for doing that, then I guess all businesses are wrong.

With all that said, you kind of deserve any derision people are throwing at you, if for no other reason than your willingness to “punish” the system by deliberately buying tickets you don’t plan to use. That despicable behavior could cost all of us the whole service. Yeah, I take umbrage with that kind of childish attitude.
Old 05-01-18, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Just a rant about Sinemia for those considering it--they lie worse than Movie Pass. It's NOT unlimited, you get one Imax/Dolby etc, the other ticket(s) have to be regular admission. That does include 3D though.

Even worse though is the "deluxe" ticket you get is on a rolling 30 days, not one a month like you'd think. So more than likely there's going to be months where you're not going to be able to see one at all.

People who ask them about this on their Facebook get blocked.
Old 05-01-18, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously, what is your deal? Who is pissing on your leg and calling you a Russian Hooker? The issue that some of us have with your incessant posts on this topic, is you seem to think that your experience and your "facts" are the only ones that are reality, and anyone else that has a different experience or provides actual facts is somehow lying. Shit like you posting that there are no theaters in Bumfuck, IL that take moviepass when the biggest movie ticket seller (Fandango) lists no theaters near Bumfuck, IL, and a smaller movie showing time website (Moviefone) lists several theaters close to Bumfuck, IL, the closest two of which do take Moviepass. That is the kind of shit that I take issue with. Make up shit to take umbrage with just to rage against a company. That, and the dickish move of buying tickets to a movie that you have no intention of seeing, just to actively try to get that company to fail.
Old 05-01-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 05-01-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I started to post quotes and links ... but instead I'm moving on ... if anybody cares, our posts speak for themselves.
Old 05-02-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

10 bucks a month unlimited is back as an option (8 bucks for 3 movies, not 4, a month plus the useless iHeartRadio trial)

People on reddit are posting the mturk stubs (that's apparently the amazon service moviepass uses to pay people to validate the ticket pictures). It's kind of astonishing that people will cheat the system and still take a picture of their imax/3d/whatever ticket. That's pretty brazen.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-02-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 10:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Seriously, what is your deal?
Sounds like he’s taking umbrage. That’s his deal.
Old 05-02-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

People on reddit are posting the mturk stubs (that's apparently the amazon service moviepass uses to pay people to validate the ticket pictures). It's kind of astonishing that people will cheat the system and still take a picture of their imax/3d/whatever ticket. That's pretty brazen.
Seriously how are they getting away with that?
Old 05-02-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

our posts speak for themselves.
They certainly do. I am disappointed that we will never find out why you are actively trying to get Movie pass to fail though:

I like your style. I’m going to go see IW again tonight in 3D ... will buy an additional ticket to I Feel Pretty. (I still want to see ST2 and haven’t had a chance yet.)
Originally Posted by E Unit
Sounds like he’s taking umbrage. That’s his deal.
Yeah. Guess he doesn't like getting called out.
Old 05-02-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Not a movie pass guy but engadget has a story up that that seeing a film a day is now back in effect. I am still waiting for someone to make the case that this company can survive long enough to become more than the equivalent of those dot com start up companies back in the day that are now nothing more than a fond memory for quite a few individuals on this site.

Anyway, this news should help tamp down some of the anger that has permeated this thread.
Old 05-02-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Well, I'm happy it's back to unlimited per month. Even though they never officially cut back current subscribers.

I am disappointed that they dropped repeat viewings, but whatever. For $10 per month, I can't really complain too much.
Old 05-02-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Not a movie pass guy but engadget has a story up that that seeing a film a day is now back in effect. I am still waiting for someone to make the case that this company can survive long enough to become more than the equivalent of those dot com start up companies back in the day that are now nothing more than a fond memory for quite a few individuals on this site.

Anyway, this news should help tamp down some of the anger that has permeated this thread.
Oh, they're going to have to drastically scale back the service or get a cut of the big dogs, and AMC at least isn't budging. But like the .com boom, where we got a ton of DVDs back in the day for relatively cheap (just so they can collect dust), ride it while you can and don't ask questions (and certainly don't invest in the company).
Old 05-02-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Seriously how are they getting away with that?
I don't know, but I hope MP is able to identify them and cancel their accounts.

I also hope they are able to find a way to identify people who deliberately buy tickets for movies they are not going to see and boot them out as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.