Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 10-15-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Wow, that's awesome. The last two are the two main theaters I go to almost every town just minutes from me. If those are listed, I bet almost every theater in Greenville is listed as well. Yeah, if anyone ever gets an invite send one my way. I went ahead and signed up to be notified as well, so who knows.

Thanks for the info bluetoast!
Old 10-15-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered my card last Wednesday night. They said 5 biz days, so really hoping it comes in the mail tomorrow. Several movies I'm holding out on for this to arrive.
Old 10-15-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

well Mine expires tonihgt too but I would need to go at least 4 times in a month for it to be worth anything.

I'm not sure I would ever do that. If this was $30 instead of $35 i would probably do it.
this just doesnt excite me very much.
Old 10-16-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those on the site, is there a way to also tell me what it would cost in my area - 29621?
Old 10-16-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 'movie pass' from the Marcus Theater chain for the Madison stores for $25 a month. They're definitely losing money on me.
Old 10-16-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got my card and activated my account. Looking forward to using it soon.

Anyone here that needs an invite, PM me your email address. I can send 10 and if 3 join I get a free month. So it helps us both out.
Old 10-16-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my card today too and used it for the first time this afternoon.

FYI - MoviePass does still allow you to use your rewards cards for certain theaters. You still pay the same way you always would, but just with the MoviePass card instead of the normal credit card you would use. Used my Regal Crown Club card today.
Old 10-17-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Wait a minute. I have to enter in my zip code and they assign a price and show me the available theaters...but can I then use this service anywhere in the country that accepts it?
Old 10-17-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Wait a minute. I have to enter in my zip code and they assign a price and show me the available theaters...but can I then use this service anywhere in the country that accepts it?
Yes. They mail the card to the address you provide and then charge you based on that address. However, the card can be used anywhere domestically.
Old 10-17-12, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has there been any mention of a "traveling" function? I am currently living in MI, but am from NYC and go back often. This would be a no brainer if I was still in NYC, but w/$5 Tuesday showings here and only $7-8 showings generally, it doesn't seem too worthwhile to use exclusively in MI.
Old 10-17-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Got my invite, thanks Goat3001.

$29.99 for Dallas zip code. Pretty much every theater in the area too.
Old 10-17-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long did it take you all to receive your cards? Do they come USPS?
Old 10-17-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cartman
How long did it take you all to receive your cards? Do they come USPS?
Ordered my card by regular USPS mail late on a Wednesday night and it came in the mail the next Tuesday. They say within 5 business days.
Old 10-17-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone noticed that for certain theaters (mostly small, indy) listed on their website and on the mobile application that the showtimes do not appear? I emailed them about this, but haven't heard anything back yet.
Old 10-17-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my invite but ended up passing. The MoviePass would have worked wonders if I was single, but with my wife...it would just be more expensive if we went to the movies more.
Old 10-17-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I got my invite but ended up passing. The MoviePass would have worked wonders if I was single, but with my wife...it would just be more expensive if we went to the movies more.
Uh, you get a membership for your wife like I did for mine?
Old 10-18-12, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmmm, checked my credit card. I have a pending charge from moviepass for $5 and $1. I got my card and activated it. I was charged the $29.99 for the month.

Anyone know what's up with these charges? Anyone else see the same thing?
Old 10-19-12, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I got an invite at $29.99 per month. My 48 hour window passed, and they sent me an email saying they've extended my invitation through tonight. Yet the new price is $34.99. Okay, NOW I'll sign up!
Same thing happened to me - but worse.
Got the original invite on Friday. Was away from a computer most of the weekend. On Monday, got the 'till midnight' extension'.
Clicked through on Monday, saw 24.99. (The main theater I go to is 10.00 regular, 7.50 matinee; my credit union sells discount tickets for 7.00, I think, and there's the occasional Living social deal.)
I debated it, then decided the next day to sign up, even though it was past the extension time.
Lo and behold, I could still click through, but now it was 34.99. I opened a chat, and said Yesterday it was 24.99, tonight it's 34.99, why is that? Oh, that was a special promo price, good through yesterday. Can I get it? No. Oh. 25 is good price, 35 is too much for me. Anything else I can do for you? Um, I guess not. *signoff*

Clicked through today for kicks and now it says 29.99. Odds are it won't go any lower, and it might go up. 30 bucks is 3 prime time movies a month, which I could probably do. Especially if the Regal card still works (not sure why it wouldn't, actually). My decision process is that sometimes I'm very available, and being able to zip down and catch a movie after work would be good, or on a weekend when nothing else is going on, but I'm only really available every other week.

And according to the rep I spoke to, you can cancel in the first month and just pay any overage.

I don't see theater movies often, but under a 'buffet' style, why not?
One minor annoyance is that it looks like billing starts immediately, but you don't get your card for up to 5 days.
edit: Read the fine print.
" Your subscription will not begin until you receive your MoviePass membership card " Not sure if that means you can't use it till then, or your billing month doesn't start till then.

I do like that you don't have to print anything.

We only have one 'arthouse' theater around here, as far as I know. Its prices range from 5 to 9, but to consistently get the 5 dollar price, you have to become a paid member. That part of the site isnt' working, not sure how much or how that works. This theater is given as an option for Moviepass, but they don't take credit cards.

Maybe I'll cancel Netflix and Hulu and try this. Haven't used Hulu in forever and only watched some Futurama on NF.

Whoever asked about midnight:
"MoviePass defines a 'day' as the period of time from 2am-2am the following day." Not sure if it has been answered.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 10-19-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may actually sign up this time. Just got a new promo email saying if I sign up, I get $15 off my first month. Offer ends 1/1/13. And I'm seeing the $29.99 price again as my standard offer.
Old 12-27-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

10 movies first month, 22 movies second month, $66.25 out of pocket for 32 movies including a bunch in 3D

That's not counting the six extra tickets for family to go with me to some of those movies and the four extra tickets in rewards I have plus I haven't even checked my Regal account yet.
Old 12-28-12, 02:55 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I may actually sign up this time. Just got a new promo email saying if I sign up, I get $15 off my first month. Offer ends 1/1/13. And I'm seeing the $29.99 price again as my standard offer.
you have to enter "newyear" in the promo code to get the $15 off for the first month, $29.99 after that.

But keep in mind, you have penalties for cancelling early
Old 12-28-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If this is like a Discover card that limits transactions at the theater to $13 a day, how do they actually prevent you from purchasing two $6.50 tickets at the cashier? Specifically, how do they prevent you from seeing more than 1 movie a day, the same movie more than once, or buying 2 tix for the same movie so you and your wife can see it? I imagine the statement that Moviepass gets would only show the transaction cost and date. If it's essentially a credit card that has a built-in daily limit of $13 (or whatever), it probably doesn't list the actual movies you've seen.
Old 12-28-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
If this is like a Discover card that limits transactions at the theater to $13 a day, how do they actually prevent you from purchasing two $6.50 tickets at the cashier? Specifically, how do they prevent you from seeing more than 1 movie a day, the same movie more than once, or buying 2 tix for the same movie so you and your wife can see it? I imagine the statement that Moviepass gets would only show the transaction cost and date. If it's essentially a credit card that has a built-in daily limit of $13 (or whatever), it probably doesn't list the actual movies you've seen.
You have to check in at the theater with their mobile app and pick the movie that you're seeing, then they load the money on the card. They don't tell you how much money they are loading on the card but it is presumably at least as much as the cost of the ticket you're buying as determined by online ticketing prices. But they have no way of proving that you bought a ticket for the movie that you told them you did, or if you bought 2 matinee tickets for the price of an evening showing, etc.
Old 12-28-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I see... so you have to "check in" and select a movie using the app, then they load the $$$? I guess they know how much the ticket costs based on online info then. When you select a movie, do they only list the next available ones at that theater, or do they list everything for that day.... so you can get an evening ticket even though you show up to the theater several hours earlier?

They advertise themselves as "a subscription service offering unlimited movies", which technically isn't true at all. It is not unlimited. In fact, if you are limited to only 1 time per film, and no more than 1 per day, then basically, you can only see 30 or 31 a month at most and that is only if you can find that many different films showing that month.

Kind of lukewarm on it, especially since it requires a yearly membership to start.

Last edited by Autotelik; 12-28-12 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They don't tell you how much money they are loading on the card but it is presumably at least as much as the cost of the ticket you're buying as determined by online ticketing prices.
Depending on the location, it's anywhere from $13 to $15.

And again, it's determined by location, not by online ticketing prices.

And MoviePass hass no way to track what you're actually spending at the theater on the card.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.