Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 10-11-12, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Do you need a smart phone for this?
Old 10-11-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
You mean when I check in and get the tickets each time? That makes sense now.
I just signed up yesterday, so not sure, but I think the MoviePass card they mail you is a Discover card. You swipe that in the kiosk or counter and then they take care of the balance every month. You just pay them the flat $35 fee.

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
Do you need a smart phone for this?
Yes - a GPS enabled smartphone so you can check-in. That's pretty much their one requirement.
Old 10-11-12, 01:17 PM
Banned

I got an e-mail today saying I've been accepted to MoviePass. I don't even remember applying.
Old 10-11-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Just for clarification:

You have 30 minutes to purchase the tickets the moment you check in to the theater. You're able to purchase tickets to a later showing, but the value amount ($13.00 - $15.00, depending on your area) only lasts on the card for 30 minutes.

Also, there are ways around the rules. They might break your agreement with the service, but it's pretty easy on how to do so. While I still haven't received my card yet, my co-workers have... and they've probably broken each rule MoviePass has already in less than a week.

GO GO IT DEPARTMENT!
So I can check into the theater with my phone and pick a movie and then at the kiosk use my card to get tickets to a different movie and a later showtime?

So, say it's 3pm and I am at the theater. Movie A is playing at 3:15 but I want to see Movie B at 8pm and I want to get tickets in advance because I know it will sell out. I can 'check in' with MoviePass for Movie A and then just go to the kiosk and get tickets for Movie B? Seems like a good loophole to exploit for those movies that you need to get tickets well in advance for.
Old 10-11-12, 01:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Technically, I imagine you could "check in" at the movie theatre, then spend the $15 anywhere within 30 minutes, like the nearest liquor store.
That said, I also imagine MoviePass takes a very close look at the transactions and if they see anything that doesn't resemble a ticket sale (they HAVE to know the prices and taxes in each location), or if they are able to identify potentially fraudulent users, they'll cancel the agreement and deactivate the card.

edit: I'm reading up on the terms on the site... there's a whole section on DVD and Blu-ray rental/returns. What's that about?
Old 10-11-12, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Technically, I imagine you could "check in" at the movie theatre, then spend the $15 anywhere within 30 minutes, like the nearest liquor store.

That said, I also imagine MoviePass takes a very close look at the transactions and if they see anything that doesn't resemble a ticket sale (they HAVE to know the prices and taxes in each location), or if they are able to identify potentially fraudulent users, they'll cancel the agreement and deactivate the card.

edit: I'm reading up on the terms on the site... there's a whole section on DVD and Blu-ray rental/returns. What's that about?
I would agree. If the transactions are showing up "LEE'S DISCOUNT LIQUOR" and not say "REGAL CINEMAS #1020" or something similar, the service will be terminated immediately. It'll be interesting if they have all theaters' pricing on record as that's something that does fluctuate alongside the fact the theaters' aren't really supporting their endeavors at the moment. It's clear they don't know which theaters support Discover, so I'm assuming for the time being they don't know how much theater pricing costs. Again, I'd pay more a month for 3D and IMAX shows to be supported on the service and I'm sure others would too.

Previously, MoviePass allowed you to pre-order films you saw in theaters under the service on DVD or Blu-ray (at close to SRP). I'm assuming the terms and agreement include that of possible future projects by the MoviePass team which may or may not contain a Netflix-esque service... which is fucking stupid as Netflix has been trying to cut the cord on their own DVD and Blu-ray rental service for the past year now.
Old 10-11-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And how exactly does Moviepass make money? They are essentially footing the bill for the movies I see and only asking for $35 a month for it. I know the theater chains aren't paying them. What am I missing?
Old 10-11-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
And how exactly does Moviepass make money? They are essentially footing the bill for the movies I see and only asking for $35 a month for it. I know the theater chains aren't paying them. What am I missing?
I'm assuming it's similar to Netflix whereas in they're looking specifically for people who would pay for the service, but rarely use it. I'm assuming why they sell DVDs and Blu-rays pre-orders at close to SRP is to gain some profits... specifically from those who don't frequent DVD Talk or various other forums.
Old 10-11-12, 02:02 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I would agree. If the transactions are showing up "LEE'S DISCOUNT LIQUOR" and not say "REGAL CINEMAS #1020" or something similar, the service will be terminated immediately.
Absolutely. Obviously, someone dumb enough will try it. I'm curious how long it'll take MoviePass to cancel the card. I would hope less than 24 hours, for their own sake. Not only that, but would they still charge a cancellation fee for misuse? I hope so.

It'll be interesting if they have all theaters' pricing on record as that's something that does fluctuate alongside the fact the theaters' aren't really supporting their endeavors at the moment. It's clear they don't know which theaters support Discover, so I'm assuming for the time being they don't know how much theater pricing costs.
True. I use an independent site here for checking theatre pricing, but they don't sell tickets. They're purely there for information. They have no affiliation with the venues, but still manage to have accurate pricing. I imagine that information is out there, but MoviePass would have to be consolidating all of the info from ticket sales.

Again, I'd pay more a month for 3D and IMAX shows to be supported on the service and I'm sure others would too.
Agreed. $5 extra per month, easily. Maybe even $10. Especially since the limit is that you can see every film once. Well... I don't know how many IMAX/3D films are released each month, but it can't be frequent enough to be a burden on MoviePass for offering the option at least.
Old 10-11-12, 02:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

I'm assuming it's similar to Netflix whereas in they're looking specifically for people who would pay for the service, but rarely use it. I'm assuming why they sell DVDs and Blu-rays pre-orders at close to SRP is to gain some profits... specifically from those who don't frequent DVD Talk or various other forums.
Exactly. Also, they make it an annual subscription contract for a reason. I'm sure they're betting on the fact that, on average in a full calendar year, people will see less than 3 films each month. Some will be 4 or 5... some will be 1 or 2. Some will be none.
Old 10-11-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Agreed. $5 extra per month, easily. Maybe even $10. Especially since the limit is that you can see every film once. Well... I don't know how many IMAX/3D films are released each month, but it can't be frequent enough to be a burden on MoviePass for offering the option at least.
Within the remaining two months of 2012, we will at least see four movies hit IMAX (Paranormal Activity 4, Cloud Atlas, Skyfall and The Hobbit) and there's always the possible movie or two that could have a quick IMAX release during that time frame too. For 3D, there's at least five movies left in the year that'll be released in the format (Silent Hill: Revelation, Life of Pi, Rise of the Guardians, The Hobbit, and Monsters Inc.).
Old 10-11-12, 02:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, that's more than I thought. Any idea what the average monthly tally is for 2012 as a whole? I was thinking it would be well below what we're seeing in Nov/Dec, but again, I don't really know.
Still, up to $10/month extra for IMAX/3D is reasonable.
My wife said she'd pay $50/month for MoviePass if we could get it in Canada. I'd do the same.
Old 10-11-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw an interview with the CEO this morning (below) on FoxNews and he was saying they're working to incorporate 3D and IMAX in the future:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/188951078...list_id=162726

When I looked at the list of theaters yesterday, I was surprised at the number of theaters included on this list - at least in my area.

I was even more surprised by the video that the average 2011 movie price is just under $8. I know we're very inflated in NYC, but even when I go to the suburbs is always at least $8 for matinee shows.
Old 10-11-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Any reason that in the D.C. area my set price is $39.99 a month as opposed to $29.99?
Old 10-11-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Any reason that in the D.C. area my set price is $39.99 a month as opposed to $29.99?
Depends on average ticket prices in the area I assume. Still surprised you would be higher than what I'm paying in Manhattan ($34.99).
Old 10-11-12, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn...yeah I would have expected the NY market to be the highest.
Old 10-11-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

$35 in the Philly area
Old 10-11-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
$35 in the Philly area
They didn't give you a discount for having to live in Philly?
Old 10-11-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

I don't live in philly
Old 10-11-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

I must have requested an invite at some point, because I just got an acceptance e-mail from Movie Pass. I don't have that smart phone requirement mentioned earlier, so I guess I'll just ignore it.
Old 10-11-12, 05:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

maybe a mod needs to update the thread title?
Old 10-15-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got an invite at $29.99 per month. My 48 hour window passed, and they sent me an email saying they've extended my invitation through tonight. Yet the new price is $34.99. Okay, NOW I'll sign up!
Old 10-15-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that I promised an invite to, I'm still waiting on my card to show up so I can activate my account. Fingers crossed for today.

Originally Posted by whotony
I don't live in philly
Apparently you're located in Kristen Bell. Good for you.
Old 10-15-12, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in upstate SC. Is there any way to tell if this would work at any local theaters? My zip code is 29621.

If so, I'd love an invite if possible.
Old 10-15-12, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
I live in upstate SC. Is there any way to tell if this would work at any local theaters? My zip code is 29621.

If so, I'd love an invite if possible.
Within 25 miles these showed up:

Easley Cinemas 8
Seneca Cinema 8
AmStar Stadium 14
Regal Cinema 14

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.