Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 10-02-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I don't understand the specifics of the program. And it seems like it'd generate a convoluted mess for tickets sales, theater cuts, etc. But I'd go to see 'lesser' movies if I had a 'blanketed' or heavily discounted subscription to movies at Harkins or AMC.

For instance, right now, I have to see Master and Looper. Probably this weekend. They are must-sees for me. But if I were somehow lumped into a plan, where other movies become cheap, I'd see Bourne, House at the End of the Street, Timothy Green and Possession. Without the plan - I'll just catch them on Netflix someday.
Old 10-02-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auto
So they list theatres that don't accept the Discover card they offer and they expect the paying consumers to update their information network. Sure sounds wonderful.
Wow! What crawled up your ass today and died?

The odds of a pre-paid Discover Card working are a lot higher than the uneducated theater employees who don't know how to accept Hollywood Movie Money. MoviePass' customer service has always been top notch and when my Hollywood Movie Money has failed in the past, MoviePass has always gone out of their way to reimburse me and I'm sure the trend will continue here if a theater is incorrectly listed under the service.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
"National Average" - I'm guessing that means it's $40-$50 a month in New York City, since ticket prices here are way above the national average. Still too much for me. So far, I've been averaging $25-$30 a month on movies this year. I might spring for $30 for an unlimited pass since it might propel me to see one or two more movies a month to take advantage of it, but only if they dropped the smartphone requirement. I don't have one and don't want one.
From what the press release read like, a monthly membership shouldn't cost more than $39.99 a month. However, when I asked the customer service representative earlier how much memberships would cost for new customers (specifically in Vegas), she was unable to provide me with that information.

Originally Posted by troystiffler
I don't understand the specifics of the program. And it seems like it'd generate a convoluted mess for tickets sales, theater cuts, etc. But I'd go to see 'lesser' movies if I had a 'blanketed' or heavily discounted subscription to movies at Harkins or AMC.
Again, in the past, MoviePass ran off the Hollywood Movie Money system. You pick your movie and showtime online, print out the Hollywood Movie Money certificate, hand it to the cashier at the box office and you have your ticket. Switching the process to a prepaid credit card is a lot simpler as it removes the "human error" (those who can't ring out the certificate) piece to it.

In fact, this is a win-win for everyone. As per the press release: "'MoviePass recently completed nine-months of closed beta trials and saw members increase their movie theater attendance by as much as 64 percent and their concession sales by 123 percent,' said Hamet Watt, cofounder of MoviePass. 'This should come as very exciting news to our industry as we look for new ways to engage with moviegoers.'"

If anything, my own personal movie attendance this year has more than quadrupled since last year... and yes, I spend a lot more on popcorn and drinks than I did in the past.
Old 10-03-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Couldn't find a list of locations easily on their site. At $30/month it's doable but my movie watching is still highly fragmented between blockbusters and art house. Add in the occasional screening, and I still think paying as I go would end up better.

If anything, I would gladly pay memberships (to Film Forum in Manhattan or BAM in Brooklyn) to reduce my prices, as I know this goes directly to the theater and the community, not some corporation outside of it.

I really like the structure here for one of the arthouse chains in Sydney, the Dendy (owned by Icon). A membership reduces your ticket price to $13.50 for you and a companion, and for every five visits, you get one free (companion tickets don't count). That comes out to an average of just over $10 per ticket, which is fantastic in a city where a blockbuster starts at $19 (and goes up to $32 for IMAX).

Are movies still limited to one per day?
Old 10-03-12, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Movies here in NYC average $13.50 a ticket. If this comes out to approx $40 per month and AMC, Regal, and some of the independent theaters take it, seems like a sure thing good investment for me.
Old 10-03-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Are movies still limited to one per day?
Yes, because now you actually have to be at the theater to check in (which then puts the value on your prepaid card).

EDIT: My Jew of a wife just mentioned that if you wanted to "cheat" the system, you could go on $5 day and see up to three movies as it puts $15 on the card.

Originally Posted by gp1086
Movies here in NYC average $13.50 a ticket. If this comes out to approx $40 per month and AMC, Regal, and some of the independent theaters take it, seems like a sure thing good investment for me.
That's honestly the way I always looked at it. If I see two 3D or IMAX films a month, the membership has already paid for itself.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 10-03-12 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-03-12, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Matt, if you have any further invites when it opens up again, I would sure appreciate one. The list of theaters in Vegas is pretty good it seems.
Old 10-03-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Hey Matt, if you have any further invites when it opens up again, I would sure appreciate one. The list of theaters in Vegas is pretty good it seems.
Of course. And yes, it'll work at any Vegas theater. Except Tropicana Cinemas.
Old 10-03-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Where can I look at a map to see participating theaters in Los Angeles? The movie pass website doesn't have shit except for the invitation waiting list page.
Old 10-03-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Where can I look at a map to see participating theaters in Los Angeles? The movie pass website doesn't have shit except for the invitation waiting list page.
What's your zip code? In theory, any theater that accepts Discover is a participating theater.
Old 10-10-12, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Question about this service: Do I still get movie ticket stubs after checking in with the phone? What about rewards with AMC or Regal?
Old 10-10-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
What's your zip code? In theory, any theater that accepts Discover is a participating theater.

That helps then, since the theaters I frequent don't actually accept Discover. I did get that email that says I have been accepted into the program, though.
Old 10-10-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Question about this service: Do I still get movie ticket stubs after checking in with the phone? What about rewards with AMC or Regal?
Yes and yes.
Old 10-10-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice. I just got accepted but I don't think I'll actually join until a bit later.

Edit: Does it work for Fathom Events or anything that would be playing in the theater (aside from 3D)?

Also, how does it work in terms of box office? How does the studio get "my" money when I see a movie?

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-10-12 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-10-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I just claimed my offer at $30 a month for NYC. Quite the bargain. If I go to 3 movies a month then it's a steal. I can see myself going way more now too, even the movies I don't really want to see.

That's honestly the way I always looked at it. If I see two 3D or IMAX films a month, the membership has already paid for itself.
It seems to me that this only works for 2D movies. Not sure though.

Anyone interested in an invitation, feel free to PM me your email address.
Old 10-10-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your wife is Jewish?
Old 10-10-12, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got an invitation, and saw the bit about only allowing 2D movies. My question is, how do they enforce that. What I mean by that is, why couldn't I select the 2D showing in the app, and then pay the difference for a 3D showing in cash at the ticket window?

I've been using Costco pre-purchased "tickets" for years, and the theater has always allowed me to do that, for both 3D and IMAX showings.
Old 10-10-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the invite and chatted with them for some questions I had. Should hopefully clear up some stuff for you guys:

- Does not work in conjunction with theater rewards program such as AMC Stubs or Regal Crown Club

- May only buy tickets for 2D movies within 30 minutes of showtime at the theater. So, this would obviously not work for advance tickets of midnight releases, Fandango purchases, etc.

- It can support switching of mobile devices (i.e. getting the iPhone 5 from the iPhone 4 if you upgrade during your membership)

Regarding paying the difference on a 3D movie, I don't think that is supported.

Still a good deal in my opinion - at least for me. $35 for NYC which sells regular tickets at $14 a pop.
Old 10-10-12, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

- Does not work in conjunction with theater rewards program such as AMC Stubs or Regal Crown Club

- May only buy tickets for 2D movies within 30 minutes of showtime at the theater. So, this would obviously not work for advance tickets of midnight releases, Fandango purchases, etc.
Those two stipulations alone are complete deal breakers for me. Many of the time the movies we want to see are sold out more than 30 minutes prior to showtime. That would mean either going to much less convenient showings, or having to wait.

As I mentioned before, we pre-purchase our tickets at Costco for $7.50/ticket, AND we get to use the Regal Crown Club (the theater treats the Costco ticket as cash), so we end up getting one free ticket every other month on average.

I'm trying to see some way this works out in my favor, but there is none. Unless I see 4 or more movies a month in the theater (which is rare, with 2-3 being average), and I'm willing to completely forgo 3D/IMAX, AND I'm willing to attend inconvenient showings (or wait until movies die down in popularity), all I am getting is the "convenience" of buying tickets from my phone.

I'm going to have to "pass" on MoviePass until they relax the rules quite a bit, or at least give more options that make it appealing to me.
Old 10-10-12, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for clarification:

You have 30 minutes to purchase the tickets the moment you check in to the theater. You're able to purchase tickets to a later showing, but the value amount ($13.00 - $15.00, depending on your area) only lasts on the card for 30 minutes.

Also, there are ways around the rules. They might break your agreement with the service, but it's pretty easy on how to do so. While I still haven't received my card yet, my co-workers have... and they've probably broken each rule MoviePass has already in less than a week.

GO GO IT DEPARTMENT!
Old 10-10-12, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. I think it's really to each their own. For me personally, I rarely see 3D or IMAX movies and maybe only go to 2 or so midnight screenings a year for which I can bite the bullet. Most of the time I go either during the day on weekends or nighttime on weekdays, so usually don't have an issue with selling out.

Given that movie tickets near me are $14 a pop and I'm paying $35 for this, I just need to see over 2 a month for it to pay off. Plus, now I'm more likely to check out stuff that I wouldn't have before just off the cusp. Kind of sucks that I paid my fee for AMC Stubs this year, but that was a mere $12 and I'll still get my free upgrades on popcorn/soft drinks and $10 for every $100 I spend on concessions.
Old 10-10-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just for clarification:

You have 30 minutes to purchase the tickets the moment you check in to the theater. You're able to purchase tickets to a later showing, but the value amount ($13.00 - $15.00, depending on your area) only lasts on the card for 30 minutes.

Also, there are ways around the rules. They might break your agreement with the service, but it's pretty easy on how to do so. While I still haven't received my card yet, my co-workers have... and they've probably broken each rule MoviePass has already in less than a week.

GO GO IT DEPARTMENT!
Interesting on the loopholes...

So that means if I arrive at the theater two weeks before a midnight showing, I can still purchase my tickets as long as I've checked into that theater within 30 mins? That's actually a nice bonus I didn't realize.
Old 10-10-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay but how does this service translate to my dollars going into the specific movies at the box office?
Old 10-10-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Okay but how does this service translate to my dollars going into the specific movies at the box office?
Because MoviePass is paying for your ticket?
Old 10-11-12, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean when I check in and get the tickets each time? That makes sense now.
Old 10-11-12, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

I would do it if I could Do I have to invited? I live in Vegas and signed up months ago and nothing. Sigh. I'd pay today if I could.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.