Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I've been loving the card, however they truly have the worst customer service (I'm aware they have a small staff). They don't reply to the chat feature on the app, emails, and the phone number just tells you to email or chat with them. Absolutely useless.

Because I had my wallet stolen a few weeks ago, I cancelled the card that is associated with my MP account. Naturally, the app will not let me update the billing card, some bug/glitch. Customer service will not answer, so I have been forced to open a brand new account.
Old 10-24-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I've seen 5 movies in the month that I've had the card. 1 (Blade Runner 2049) was a re-do after falling asleep the 1st time. My card just got billed for the 1st time yesterday, so it looks like my 1st month was actually free.

I plan to use the card to see Jigsaw this coming Friday.

The only trouble I have now is deciding do I really want to see a certain movie just because I have the card or do I wait for an actual good movie to come out?

For example I saw the remake of Flatliners using the card. That's a movie on a normal given day I wouldn't have paid to see a matinee of. And the movie sucked.

So if I can use the card at least 3-4 times per month, it will be worth it. I'm going to try not to waste valuable hours of my days off seeing junk, but sometimes it will happen with this card for most I assume.

My sister did just give me a $50 Fandango Gift card for my birthday and I don't want to waste that on just anything, so I'm going to be a little selective using that. I did use it to see Happy Death Day last week.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-24-17 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I'd say use the Fandango gift card on the stuff you wanna see in IMAX, or like Dolby Cinema/atmos if you got it
Old 10-25-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Yeh using it on Desth Day was a waste. IMAX or 3D etc.
Old 10-25-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I think that is where they think they will be making their money. By people paying $10 for the month and not using it. A dump month like February where nothing is out, I barely go.

To be honest, even though MOST movies come out in the summer, that is probably when I would use it the least. With all the reserved seating theatres now, unless you book in advance, you aren't seeing the movie for a while. I'm not using it to see Thor either. More than likely won't use it for Justice League. It's going to be a combo of booking in advance for BIG things, but using MoviePass for smaller stuff. I will use it this week for Jigsaw and Suburbicon. I'll use it November for Bad Moms, Murder on the Orient Express and then any of the indie stuff that comes around me like Three Billboards, Last Flag Flying, Roman, J. Israel.
Yeah, they're not going to be making money off the tickets. No way. Even if half the people subscribe and never go to a movie ever, at 10 bucks a month in some of the most heavily populated cities they lose money as soon as someone goes to a movie once, and that's not even counting their costs. Their plan is to sell data, leverage their base to get agreements in place with theater chains, etc. Even then I see them raising the price or changing the plans relatively soon.
Old 10-25-17, 03:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Check your email for an offer for MoviePass customers to get Fandor for $2 a month.
Old 10-25-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Got an email from Movie Pass saying that I should start using it, because I will be charged my first month's dues tomorrow regardless if I do or don't.
Old 10-25-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

I got that fandor email. Never heard if it.
Old 10-25-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I got the email too. Even though it's only $2/month, I have no time to watch any of that. I already have more than enough on my plate with so much TV/Netflix/Hulu. Would just be a waste.
Old 10-25-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Giving Fandor a shot for a month. They have HD content, and a Roku app. We'll see if it’s worth it.
Old 10-25-17, 05:07 PM

They have some nice content, but like DJariya, I have enough content/services. I probably own or have other streaming access to most of what Fandor has, so I'd be struggling to find things just to get my $2 worth.

But for someone without a million DVDs and multiple streaming services, it looks like a great deal for $2.
Old 10-25-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I signed up for it. I've only seen one movie, but it paid for itself with that one ticket. I was a member before when it was $20, and was still worth it since I'd see 2-3 movies a month. Once it hit $30 I was out. Ill stay with it for $10, $20 I'll probably stay with it as well.
Old 10-26-17, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in it for $10 but I've only seen a couple movies so far. I'll make sure I see my one a month at minimum. I wanted to go see something tomorrow while my windshield got replaced but the theater near the shop has no movies until the afternoon. I like going in the 11:00 hour for basically a long lunch. It is over by 1:30 ish and I can still get some stuff done. If it doesn't start until 12:50, it'll be after 3 which kills my whole afternoon.
Old 10-26-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Their setup of "We're going to charge your card immediately, and you'll get your card in 2 to 3 weeks" seems kind of bullshit-y to me.
Old 10-26-17, 08:09 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Their setup of "We're going to charge your card immediately, and you'll get your card in 2 to 3 weeks" seems kind of bullshit-y to me.
Kind of, but you don't get charged again until a month after you activate your card.
Old 10-26-17, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ah that makes sense. Either way, signed up, I have no life so this will be a nice distraction, and all the local theaters have reasonably priced bars now.

I really love the leather recliners in the Dolby Theaters but I couldn't help but think of what sweaty inbred was sitting in the seat at the prior showing(s).
Old 10-26-17, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I didn't get charged until I activated the card.
Old 10-26-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Did you join a while back? I got charged when I signed up just the other day.
Old 10-26-17, 02:26 PM

I think I signed up on October 1st, maybe last few days of September. Got my card and charged on the 17th. Trying to be an optimist, maybe they are caught up and are shipping cards immediately, and charge when they ship the card now?

Switching to negative, just used the pass to see Boo 2 and holy crap was that awful. Likely the worst movie I've ever seen, and just last night I watched Manos: The Hands of Fate without the MST3K treatment.
Old 10-26-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
Likely the worst movie I've ever seen, and just last night I watched Manos: The Hands of Fate without the MST3K treatment.
Without!?! Dear god, why....

As for the current timeframe of getting the card, I joined Oct 22, got an email stating card is on the way on Oct 24. Will post when card is received.
Old 10-26-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I'm in it for $10 but I've only seen a couple movies so far. I'll make sure I see my one a month at minimum. I wanted to go see something tomorrow while my windshield got replaced but the theater near the shop has no movies until the afternoon. I like going in the 11:00 hour for basically a long lunch. It is over by 1:30 ish and I can still get some stuff done. If it doesn't start until 12:50, it'll be after 3 which kills my whole afternoon.
That's exactly how I like to see movies. Popcorn is my breakfast and lunch. You still have basically the whole day.
Old 10-26-17, 09:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

so i haven't been following this thread. What exactly is MoivePass and how much does it cost?

so just read a little, you can't buy tickets in advance unless you're 100 yards from theater? that's retarded. almost no go for me based on that...
Old 10-26-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldBoy
so i haven't been following this thread. What exactly is MoivePass and how much does it cost?

so just read a little, you can't buy tickets in advance unless you're 100 yards from theater? that's retarded. almost no go for me based on that...
It's $10 per month.

They send you a Mastercard in the mail. You download the app to your phone. Go to the movie theater, check into the movie you want to see in the app at the theater that honors it. The app will tell you which theaters take it.

After you check in, you pay for the ticket at the box office with the Mastercard.

You cannot use it to pre-purchase tickets on a site like Fandango. You have to be physically at the theater to buy it.

$10 lets you see as many movies as you want in 1 month (although only 1 per day)

Only catch, No 3D or IMAX showings.

It's a hell of deal if you like to see movies at least 1 per week. Even 1 per month essentially pays for it, if you see an expensive evening show.

If you live close by to many theaters, chances are a few of them will honor this.
Old 10-27-17, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So go ahead and waste money. That's "retarded." Are you sure you're a teacher?
Old 10-27-17, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen a few with it so I haven't lost money, but if the price goes up it wouldn't be worth it. I can easily go in the morning or during the day when the prices are cheaper so I need to see a couple per month. I think I'll see one today, then a few really good ones are coming out for the holiday season so I'll definitely get my money's worth then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.