Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 10-11-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The taking picture thing was the reason I canceled moviepass back in May. It was a pain in the butt especially when you are trying to hurry and get your snacks and seat before the movie starts. The service is a tremendous value at 9.99 so there is no reason to be a jerk and abuse the rules.
It was an annoying unannounced change, but you just had to take the picture before you saw a movie again, so I would just take the picture when I got back home. It honestly wasn't a hassle after that first time when it surprised me.
Old 10-12-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I was looking through the terms of service and found this part interesting:

Originally Posted by moviepass
27.3 Capped Plans - MoviePass may make changes to any products or services offered on the Site, or to the applicable prices for any such products or services, at any time, without prior notice. MoviePass reserves the right to change the rules of movie-going attendance and ticket availability to members at anytime. MoviePass reserves the right to change from time to time the number of eligible movies a member can see per month. MoviePass reserves the right to offer members a new price option if they exceed watching a certain amount of movies per month. You will be notified of any changes made to the terms of service prior to your next billing cycle, at which point you would have 14 days to opt-out of the service. MoviePass will not make any changes to your plan mid-cycle, all changes will be in affect at the start of your next billing cycle. MoviePass is not responsible for theater programming, cancellations, or rescheduled performances.
So I'm not able to see a movie every day? Even though they state you are allowed to see one movie a day??? Has anyone here had their subscription rate increased?
Old 10-12-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83

So I'm not able to see a movie every day? Even though they state you are allowed to see one movie a day??? Has anyone here had their subscription rate increased?
Your contract is basically month to month, so they reserve the right to change it completely at any time, I think we brought this up some time back. Note that the one year promise was at this price point but not necessarily at this service level, and I figure it gives them an out because they have to be bleeding money like crazy even with the delays in getting cards out (which I suspect they are at least partially rationing).
Old 10-12-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

First time using my card today (American Made) Whole process went smooth. Good movie too. Had no idea Matt Damon was in it. Then I realized it was Fat Damon

You mean Meth Damon from Breaking Bad?
Old 10-13-17, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You mean Meth Damon from Breaking Bad?
Yes
Old 10-13-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

You don't read too many T & Cs, huh? They all have the same type of statement allowing them to make changes.
Old 10-13-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

My card just came in -- 4 days short of a month.

I am not sure if I'm seeing anything this weekend, but I noticed that the theaters that accept e-tickets populated on the app. Studio Movie Grill is that chain. There's one about 8 miles away. That one seems like the obvious choice, because it's no fuss since I assume the e-ticket will be stored on my app for scanning once I arrive at the theater?
Old 10-14-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,250 Likes on 720 Posts

Had our MoviePass for a month now.. only seen 2 movies. Just not much out there that really interests us. However it's been no problems at all. Hope it lasts
Old 10-16-17, 05:33 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

I just got my pass. Are there any tips for dealing with a theatre that is reserved seating, but doesn't allow you to book in advance via the app?

All the theatres around me are reserved.

I was thinking I could buy a ticket on Fandango. Refund it when I get there. Then request that seat when I get to the kiosk. I don't know how doing that every time wouldn't draw suspicion though.
Old 10-16-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 736 Likes on 363 Posts

If you are in the neighborhood and don't mind dropping in earlier in the day to buy your ticket, there's nothing stopping you from say coming in at noon and buying a ticket for an evening show.
Old 10-17-17, 04:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

My card just arrived! Timing stinks with kid's schedule today, but looking forward to seeing (most likely) It tomorrow.
Old 10-18-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I just got my pass. Are there any tips for dealing with a theatre that is reserved seating, but doesn't allow you to book in advance via the app?

I was thinking I could buy a ticket on Fandango. Refund it when I get there. Then request that seat when I get to the kiosk. I don't know how doing that every time wouldn't draw suspicion though.
I just check right before leaving if there are enough seats available. Mondays and Wednesdays are my favorite days to go. Not much of a crowd monday and wednesday is always dead
Old 10-19-17, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

I go "buy" a ticket on their website to look at the seat situation. When Wonder Women came out I waited a few weeks until I started seeing a lot of empty seats.

Or just go a few days earlier, check in for a movie on the day you show up, buy a ticket for the showing you want (requires two trips to the theater though).

Checking online has worked every time.
Old 10-19-17, 03:12 PM

I've now managed to see a movie the first three days I had the card. Would have cost me almost $45, so even if I see nothing the rest of the year, I'd be a bit ahead on the price. Looking forward to seeing a few more horror films before the end of October, then settling into a probable couple times a month routine. Super easy process at the theater, scans easily and works with my Regal points card too.

It was a great film. I've never read the book or seen the first film, but this was a solid mix of scares, heart, and humor; with a pack of kids less annoying than in similar films.

Flatliners was a mediocre pointless remake.

Happy Death Day dragged a bit for me near the end, but was a lot of fun. Again with a nice mix of heart and humor to go with some decent jump scares, and a fairly smart script for a Groundhog Day clone.
Old 10-22-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

One thing I’m seeing is movies in theater rooms that I haven’t seen so small in decades.

Talking 9 rows an about 90ish seats.
Old 10-22-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Signed up today. Figured a lot of the kinks are out. What sold me was the local theaters listed on the website. They're not chain (also several chain were listed) so their normal price is $8 or so. If this works out, I'll probably see 3 or 4 movies a week. I usually see one movie a week, so this will easily pay for itself.
Old 10-23-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts

I continue to write e-mails and send messages and no response. How do I cancel this membership if I can't even get in touch with someone to do so? Will anyone ever respond?
Old 10-23-17, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I continue to write e-mails and send messages and no response. How do I cancel this membership if I can't even get in touch with someone to do so? Will anyone ever respond?
You can cancel right in the app.
Old 10-23-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Why are you cancelling?
Old 10-23-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In the app there is a HELP section. In there, look for "How do I cancel?" Click on that...
Old 10-24-17, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

God damn there are some scummy people abusing this.
Getting 2-4 separate Movie pass cards all linked to the same Stubs account and "seeing" 60-100 movies a month just for rewards. Others using the card to buy theater gift cards for the exact amount that was loaded onto the card and then selling the cards online. Wtf can't people just enjoy a good deal?
Old 10-24-17, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I activated mine about a month ago, saw exactly three movies in a week, and then - the movie drought has hit. Thor is coming up, but I already paid for advanced tickets with a group of friends, then am seeing it for free the following day (paid for by the Comicon group I volunteer for). I'm keeping the service despite not hitting as many movies right now than I had planned.
Old 10-24-17, 07:24 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Well, I activated mine about a month ago, saw exactly three movies in a week, and then - the movie drought has hit. Thor is coming up, but I already paid for advanced tickets with a group of friends, then am seeing it for free the following day (paid for by the Comicon group I volunteer for). I'm keeping the service despite not hitting as many movies right now than I had planned.
I think that is where they think they will be making their money. By people paying $10 for the month and not using it. A dump month like February where nothing is out, I barely go.

To be honest, even though MOST movies come out in the summer, that is probably when I would use it the least. With all the reserved seating theatres now, unless you book in advance, you aren't seeing the movie for a while. I'm not using it to see Thor either. More than likely won't use it for Justice League. It's going to be a combo of booking in advance for BIG things, but using MoviePass for smaller stuff. I will use it this week for Jigsaw and Suburbicon. I'll use it November for Bad Moms, Murder on the Orient Express and then any of the indie stuff that comes around me like Three Billboards, Last Flag Flying, Roman, J. Israel.
Old 10-24-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can always find a movie to see. Sorta like with Netflix. Already paid for the month, I'll watch something not high on my want list.
Old 10-24-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
God damn there are some scummy people abusing this.
Getting 2-4 separate Movie pass cards all linked to the same Stubs account and "seeing" 60-100 movies a month just for rewards. Others using the card to buy theater gift cards for the exact amount that was loaded onto the card and then selling the cards online. Wtf can't people just enjoy a good deal?
Disappointing, but not surprising I suppose.

I figure I'll enjoy the service as much as I can at the going rate, knowing it will come to an end eventually.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.