Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 07-01-11, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

You can all stop worrying about Movie Pass, it died before it started. The Bay Area tests have been scrapped.

Moive Pass gets it ticket punched...

Guess you need to inform the companies your working with first, and hope they're actually on board with you.

fitprod
Old 07-01-11, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dang, I was hoping this would take off - for someone like myself, who sees most every movie that comes out, I would have bought that in a heartbeat.
Old 07-01-11, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 666 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Who are these people seeing more than five movies a year ?
The kind that get out of their basement. Some of them have smartphones too
Old 07-01-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Seriously ? I'm lucky if I see two movies a year. I don't know anyone now and I have NEVER known anyone that went to the theater four or five times, let alone more than that.
Bubby... is that you?
Old 07-01-11, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Cow
The kind that get out of their basement. Some of them have smartphones too
I don't live in the basement and don't know anyone that does. And smart phones are completely pointless. If I want to make a call, I use a phone. If I want to go on the internet, I'll use a computer. If I want to play a game, I'll use a DS or my old Gameboy. The more things you pack into a phone, the more that can go wrong with it. Not to mention that if you use it for more than calls, the battery runs down faster.
Old 07-01-11, 10:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Bubby... is that you?
What's bubby ?
Old 07-01-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

I dunno. I'm fine with paying $12 to see a 5m-300m piece of art/entertainment.

And 'the house always wins'. Nobody in charge is going to let the average moviegoer paying less than normal.
Old 07-01-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Too much. I could see myself doing it one month that had a lot of new releases I was interested in and abusing the heck out of it, but nothing long term. Even that is iffy - there aren't that many new releases that get more than a "Hmm, I need to add that to Netflix when it comes out" from me, and the incremental costs of popcorn would negate any savings (popcorn goes with the movie experience to me).

The only time I had the time and interest in seeing theater movies that often, was in college - and we had a 1.50 theater off campus and a 2.00 theater on campus, where you could buy a 10 movie pass good all year for 15.00. I went through a couple of those cards a year, but that theater played a different movie every night of different styles - anything from the original Solaris to Tron to Fritz the Cat to A Clockwork Orange to Woody Allen's Alice.
Old 07-04-11, 02:42 PM

Wouldn't pay $50/month $30 is my limit. I have done weekly cinema and bargain movie tickets both have gone out of business. I love going to the movies usually about once a week. $50 is too high especially if 3d is extra.
I am looking for a product that provides this now that Bargain has gone out of business.
Old 11-30-11, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LET'S UPDATE THE THREAD'S TITLE TO: BACK TO LIFE, BITCH.

I got hooked up with an invite to the beta this past Monday. $29.99 a month locked me in for a twelve month contract for "unlimited movie watching." As in, you're only allowed to watch one movie a day.

The execution and layout are pretty simplistic. Screenshots are in the spoilers tag.

1. Choose your theater or movie selection.

Spoiler:

2. Choose your desired showtime.

Spoiler:

3. Confirm and print out your certificate.

Spoiler:

It helps that two of the three theaters trying this out in Las Vegas are both the closest to my home and work. To note, Rave Motion Pictures charges anywhere from $14-15 a ticket for 3D presentations. If I manage to see two 3D films at Rave a month, the service pays for itself. That's winning right there.

However, the reason there's only three theaters trying this out here are due to the fact the other theaters in Vegas are either Cinemark or Regal. If you live in a city full of theaters owned by the big chains, this service will most likely not work for you.

I don't like how there's no option to pick a showtime for other than today. I wonder if midnight showings will count for "today" (a la Fandango or MovieTickets) or if I'll be shit out of luck. I guess I'll find the answer out to this one tomorrow.

I haven't tested the water if the two theaters will also make me pay for the 3D or IMAX charge. Again, only way to know is for me to find out.

I'm trying to recover from strep throat, but once I'm healed, I'm about to abuse this service.
Old 11-30-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Eh, a local historical theater offers free annual admission for only $250 (which includes a free popcorn every visit and 10 guest passes; you can also upgrade to allow 2 people benefits for a total cost of $400) and the cost of the membership goes towards restoring the theater (which just got a huge upgrade in the technical department from a Regal theater that decided to close).

The kicker at this theater is they generally have three or more movies running at a time with a lot of special screenings of old-school grindhouse films.

If a small theater can offer such a deal, the chains charging $30 for the steady stream of garbage they show with no additional benefits is a laughable joke.
Old 11-30-11, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Eh, a local historical theater offers free annual admission for only $250 (which includes a free popcorn every visit and 10 guest passes; you can also upgrade to allow 2 people benefits for a total cost of $400) and the cost of the membership goes towards restoring the theater (which just got a huge upgrade in the technical department from a Regal theater that decided to close).
While I would easily shell out $250 for an annual film pass at what sounds like to be an awesome movie theater, things like that don't exist here in Vegas. For the time being, Moviepass happens to be the best bang for my buck. It sucks, but it's true.

If a small theater can offer such a deal, the chains charging $30 for the steady stream of garbage they show with no additional benefits is a laughable joke.
I'm assuming the independent chains are trying it out as they'll probably be able to make a killing on concessions. However, as a vegan who rarely drinks soda, um... they're going to get practically nothing out of me.
Old 01-05-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I'm out of the end of the fiscal year at work alongside the fact I'm healthy again, I've been abusing this service this past few weeks.

I've discovered:
  1. MoviePass uses Hollywood Movie Money for all of its certificates. Each certificate is worth $13 which covers most 35mm, DLP, 3D and IMAX screenings I've attended up to this point. [To note: the IMAX theater near me charges $13.50 for IMAX matinees and they cover the .50 each time as I only carry debit and credit cards. Winning!] I've already covered my whole whole month just by seeing Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol and The Adventures of Tintin in IMAX this past week alone.
  2. I've already talked to customer service about showtimes that may or may not show up. MoviePass has acknowledged there are glitches within their system on how they grab showtimes. If you reach out to them, they'll e-mail you a certificate for $15 to go catch the film that's missing.
  3. I've invited friends to the service and like myself, they've had nothing but praise for it.

If anyone is seriously looking for an invite (and will actually sign up for the service), reach out to me via PM with your email address and I'll shoot you an invitation plus a promo code to get your first month at $15 off.
Old 01-05-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if I'm interested yet, but it does sound intriguing.

You do, however, need to never use the phrase "Winning!" again. Ever.
Old 01-05-12, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
You do, however, need to never use the phrase "Winning!" again. Ever.
I don't know if you heard this, but there's a new sheriff in town. And he has an army of assassins.

Just throwing that out there.

Old 01-06-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

I was "accepted" one day after signing up but no major theaters close enough to me that aren't art house.
Old 01-22-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just signed up for this. Used it for an IMAX 3d movie, it took 13 bucks off my ticket. This should work out for me since the only two theaters I frequent accept it. It also works for the two arthouse cinemas that I've never visited, now I may.

One thing to note in the terms of service: The User will only be permitted to see a title one (1) time through MoviePass. If the User attempts to see the same title more than one (1) time, the User’s MoviePass account will be automatically suspended.

Last edited by mh4268; 01-22-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-22-12, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the add-on to the thread....lol.
Old 10-02-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GODDAMNIT, I LOVE THIS SERVICE.

Originally Posted by MoviePass
New Proprietary Technology from MoviePass Drives Innovation for Theater Subscription Service
Company Unveils Location-Based Payment Technology and iPhone App; Emerges from Beta to Launch Nationwide

NEW YORK – OCT. 2, 2012 – MoviePass, the nation’s premier movie theater subscription service, announced the launch of its new proprietary payment card technology that aims to boost theater attendance nationwide. MoviePass provides film enthusiasts the ability to attend unlimited* movies for a monthly fee. The invite-only launch will be rolled out to current members as well as the nearly 75,000 individuals on MoviePass’ waitlist. Current members are able to invite up to 10 friends to join the service, as part of the invite-only launch. Prospective members can also join the waiting list at MoviePass.com.

“MoviePass gives moviegoers the opportunity to see the movies they want, at the theaters they want – perfect for film enthusiasts who are at the heart of Hollywood’s economic engine,” said Stacy Spikes, CEO and cofounder of MoviePass. “Moviegoers now have more at-home entertainment options than ever before, and MoviePass is dedicated to driving traffic back to theaters and reducing the friction of moviegoing.”

MoviePass is introducing an innovative geo-location based technology via their membership card, which acts like a debit card. The card is activated with the MoviePass iPhone App, released today; Android to follow. This technology allows members to securely use their subscription to go to any theater of their choice that accepts major credit cards.

How It Works:

CHECK-IN AT THEATER: Members use their MoviePass app to check-in at a theater of their choice and select a movie and showtime, which unlocks their MoviePass membership card, which acts as a reloadable debit card.

PURCHASE TICKET: The member then retrieves their ticket for their desired movie by visiting the theater kiosk and using their MoviePass membership card, exactly how they would use their own credit card at the kiosk.

“MoviePass recently completed nine-months of closed beta trials and saw members increase their movie theater attendance by as much as 64 percent and their concession sales by 123 percent,” said Hamet Watt, cofounder of MoviePass. “This should come as very exciting news to our industry as we look for new ways to engage with moviegoers.”

MoviePass is offering variable price testing with a national average of $29.99 a month. Smartphones are required for the new service. MoviePass is currently invitation only with general availability of the service to be announced in the near future.

Major investors including True Ventures, AOL Ventures, WME, Lambert Media, Nala Pictures, Brian Lee, Diego Berdakin, MJ Eng, Ryan Steelberg and Adam Lilling back MoviePass.

*The service is available at theaters that accept major credit cards; subscribers may choose which of those theaters they wish to attend. Monthly fee allows members to see one 2D movie per day.

About MoviePass
MoviePass is the the nation’s premier movie theater subscription service, providing film enthusiasts the ability to attend unlimited movies. Founded by leading technology and entertainment entrepreneurs Stacy Spikes and Hamet Watt, MoviePass is backed by major investors including AOL Ventures, True Ventures, Lambert Media, Moxie Pictures, Brian Lee, Diego Berdakin, MJ Eng, Ryan Steelberg and Adam Lilling. Launched in 2010, the company is headquartered in New York. For more information or to request an invite, visit www.moviepass.com.
<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/50560470" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

MoviePass Trailer from MoviePass on Vimeo.

Old 10-02-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They've got theaters listed as part of the progrma that don't even accept credit cards. The Wilshire screening room? New Beverly? I don't see how they'd be participating. I'm mildly curious.
Old 10-02-12, 01:25 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
GODDAMNIT, I LOVE THIS SERVICE.
Goddamnit, we need this in Canada. We have "Hollywood Movie Money" here, so it's not a huge stretch to think they could expand North of the border...
Old 10-02-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have an invite to this thing? Maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Old 10-02-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They've got theaters listed as part of the progrma that don't even accept credit cards. The Wilshire screening room? New Beverly? I don't see how they'd be participating. I'm mildly curious.
As of now, MoviePass is listing all movie theaters based upon location as they don't have the knowledge of which will accept, specifically, Discover credit cards. Obviously, the information will be updated as it's crowd-sourced by its users.

Originally Posted by cartman
Anyone have an invite to this thing? Maybe I'll give it a whirl.
Current users will be giving invitation passes within the next week as all of our accounts are on "suspension" until we get the Discover cards in the mail. If you're serious about joining, I have no problem sending you an invite code.

Chris Dorr wrote a great blog article today about MoviePass' announcement today:

MoviePass, the movie subscription service, today announced a new feature that will vastly increase their subscriber base.

They have added a MoviePass card that works at any movie theater that takes credit cards. When you go to the theater you use the MoviePass application on your smart phone (available on the Apple application store and soon to be available on Android) to find the movie you want to see at that location and select it.

Once selected, you slide the card into the credit card machine and out pops your ticket. Because you have a prepaid subscription, you do not pay for the ticket–MoviePass does. (Note: for those who do not have an iPhone, the selection of the movie and location can take place at home via a computer.)

The Hollywood Reporter covered the release of this new feature by looking for any theater owners that might have given permission to MoviePass. To their astonishment they found none. Thinking this a bit peculiar they just moved on. You could read between the lines and see that The Hollywood Reporter thought this would soon fail. After all, don’t the exhibitors have to agree to this? Actually–no.

You see, here The Hollywood Reporter missed the key point. When it comes to successful innovation in this new connected world the best thing a new company can do is find solutions that do not require permission. The inherent nature of the distributed network we call the Internet is that anyone can get on and no one can say no. This “no permission structure” has created huge companies like Facebook and Twitter, as well as many others big and small.

However, if you live in the world of a centralized network (the world of mass media, i.e. the world of Hollywood) you have to ask permission at every turn. Your whole world is a series of permissions. This sea (a cesspool perhaps?) of permissions is what has caused Hollywood innovation to lag behind the Internet world. One could even say that innovation as we know it today does not even exist in Hollywood.

So the brilliance of the Movie Pass move is undetected by general Hollywood observers because it can not fathom a world where someone could sell tickets to a movie without the theater “giving permission”–i.e. getting a cut. Yet that is what Movie Pass has created. The movie theater gets it full ticket price but it does not get what Movie Pass will now possess and which is very valuable in today’s world.

What will Movie Pass have and why is it valuable?

1. MoviePass gets direct contact with the customer, with an email address and an address.

2. MoviePass knows what movies each subscriber sees, at what theater, at what time and on what day–and this crosses all theaters, not just one chain or location.

3. Through its location aware application Movie Pass has the opportunity to allow each subscriber to opt in to other services. Want to find a restaurant in the area? Coupons for local entertainment options? Want to find other movies similar to the movie you just saw and liked? What are other people on MoviePass recommending? The list of these layered services is endless and each is valuable.

Movie Pass gets to know its (and the theater’s) customers. The movie theater gets paid and flies blind.

It will take time for theaters to figure this out because they have not traditionally been in the “know your customer” business. They have always flown a little blind. But when movie theaters discover what MoviePass is finding out about their own customers, the tables will turn–now the theaters will ask MoviePass for permission.

And innovation will be afoot, even in Hollywood.
For all the haters who gave me shit for promoting this wonderful service that now is even better, I have one thing to say:

Old 10-02-12, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So they list theatres that don't accept the Discover card they offer and they expect the paying consumers to update their information network. Sure sounds wonderful.
Old 10-02-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 209 Posts

MoviePass is offering variable price testing with a national average of $29.99 a month. Smartphones are required for the new service.
"National Average" - I'm guessing that means it's $40-$50 a month in New York City, since ticket prices here are way above the national average. Still too much for me. So far, I've been averaging $25-$30 a month on movies this year. I might spring for $30 for an unlimited pass since it might propel me to see one or two more movies a month to take advantage of it, but only if they dropped the smartphone requirement. I don't have one and don't want one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.