Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Gobear
That doesn't work for me. I'm on the annual membership and I still have to submit ticket photos. The midnight app trick no longer works and going to DC just to use my MoviePass at e-ticket theaters is unfeasible.
I thought you said something about 2 movies left so I thought you were month to month.

Wait...you're not DJLinus...

Old 11-14-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

So I joined this summer right as MP started changing the terms seemingly on a daily basis. Based on my movie going habits I was mostly ok with the changes once they ditched the peak pricing, etc. and was still getting good value through September. However, once October rolled around all of a sudden there was nothing. I didn't see anything for 6 weeks because every time I went to check availability, there was literally nothing. I was basically sending MP free money. So I finally cancel and the next day the ridiculous dog email goes out. Now as I count down my final days all of a sudden there are actual movies available to me every night.

Is this the case for everyone? Or are they just jerking me around? And is there a way I can reverse my cancellation so I'm not locked out 9 months? These people are obviously sketchy, but I don't mind the $10 a month as long as I can actually see a movie or two a month.
Old 11-14-18, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I cancelled my annual sub a week, after being a member for ~5 years and basically throwing money at them for the past six months.
My only choices today, out of six theaters, is one showing of El Royale, and one of the Coldplay movie.
Which, at that, is two movies more than it showed me the other day.
Mp can't fail fast enough for me at this point. It's not even entertaining watching them, it's just embarrassing.
Old 11-14-18, 04:42 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
how is this stock not delisted by now??
Helios & Matheson, the parent company of MoviePass, announced in a public filing on Tuesday that it is canceling a shareholder vote for a second stock split, warning that it faces delisting from Nasdaq if its stock value remains below one dollar.

In the filing, Helios said that the company “does not expect to have the requisite stockholder votes” to approve a reverse stock split, which would have been set at a range between 1-for-2 shares and 1-for-500 shares. Helios shareholders had previously approved a reverse split in July, briefly raising the stock’s value as high as $22.50 a share. But the stock price quickly dropped and is currently valued at two cents a share.

Helios also warned in its filing that it could be delisted from Nasdaq as early as Dec. 18 if its stock price does not rise above one dollar and requests for a deadline extension are denied.
https://www.thewrap.com/moviepass-ow...listing-looms/
Old 11-18-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I think today might mark MoviePass's obituary, now that it no longer works for e-ticketing theaters.
Old 11-18-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Yeah, fuck them. Finally out.
Old 11-21-18, 05:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been a member for years, and yesterday my 1 year pre-paid membership ended. I imagine it will/has around this time for many others. My account just lapsed. No auto renewal, no emails, nothing. I had to re-log into my account and my only option was to reactivate my account. So odd! I see so many movies that it still would have been a big money saver for me so I do want to continue my membership, but how odd that they just let me lapse like that.
Old 11-21-18, 08:42 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
I had been a member for years, and yesterday my 1 year pre-paid membership ended. I imagine it will/has around this time for many others. My account just lapsed. No auto renewal, no emails, nothing. I had to re-log into my account and my only option was to reactivate my account. So odd! I see so many movies that it still would have been a big money saver for me so I do want to continue my membership, but how odd that they just let me lapse like that.
Does it auto renew with a credit card? Did the credit card you used for membership expire?
Old 11-21-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

They probably turned off auto-renew for annual plans. They figure there's no point since they would have to refund those fairly soon.
Old 11-21-18, 10:27 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Finally using my card to see Bohemian Rhapsody today.

Maybe they’ll have a better selection this next week.

Old 11-21-18, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LeFou
Does it auto renew with a credit card? Did the credit card you used for membership expire?
Nope, it was still valid.
Old 11-21-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

There are no annual plans anymore. If you wish to continue, you have to go month to month.
Old 11-21-18, 12:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Finally using my card to see Bohemian Rhapsody today.

Maybe they’ll have a better selection this next week.

Just used it to buy a ticket for this tonight. Maybe my fourth use this month, and I check it everyday. Guess I’m ready for it to be gone, but hope Regal comes up with an AMC style plan here soon.
Old 11-21-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There are no annual plans anymore. If you wish to continue, you have to go month to month.
I am really surprised they didn't just convert all the annual plans to month to month instead of just dropping them.
Old 11-26-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I missed this in the earlier press release, on their road to profitability:

https://www.hmny.com/press-release/
Average monthly usage per subscriber was dramatically reduced to .77 movies per month in September 2018, as compared to 2.22 movies per month in April 2018 (see graphic below).
I guess when you make it really really hard for someone to see even the three movies a month they paid for, you can reduce your losses. Brilliant!
Old 11-26-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Genius business model. I'm gonna go open a gym which has a membership based on 24/7 operation but then keep it closed 4 days out of the week to save on upkeep. Bring on the profit!
Old 11-26-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
Genius business model. I'm gonna go open a gym which has a membership based on 24/7 operation but then keep it closed 4 days out of the week to save on upkeep. Bring on the profit!
See, you're not as forward thinking as these guys. The members would still kill your profits the other three days of the week. Instead, open it for 15 minutes a a time at unannounced hours. Have people check the app, drive down, and have it mysteriously be closed when they get there. That's the key.
Old 11-26-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
See, you're not as forward thinking as these guys. The members would still kill your profits the other three days of the week. Instead, open it for 15 minutes a a time at unannounced hours. Have people check the app, drive down, and have it mysteriously be closed when they get there. That's the key.
Of course. Welp, that explains why I'm not running a fabulous company like MP.
Old 11-26-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

And the members can only use one machine (of your choosing) three times a week.
Old 11-26-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

From a recent report I read, seems like Moviepass as a company is basically operating as a skeleton crew. The report said they laid off their entire HR department and Mitch Lowe has been MIA for all the latest meetings.

I am puzzled how they are financing movies with their film division. I'm guessing those are independently paid for and they're just distributing them.

It's almost December and I'm shocked they're still in business.
Old 11-26-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
From a recent report I read, seems like Moviepass as a company is basically operating as a skeleton crew. The report said they laid off their entire HR department and Mitch Lowe has been MIA for all the latest meetings.

I am puzzled how they are financing movies with their film division. I'm guessing those are independently paid for and they're just distributing them.

It's almost December and I'm shocked they're still in business.
I had asked a while back how many people they actually employ(ed). I find it shocking that there haven't been things coming out from MoviePass staff during all the antics ... IF there actually was any staff.
Old 11-26-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I did a quick run through their most recent filing ... I can't find the number of subscribers they have left beyond "a significant decline in the number of subscribers". Anybody?

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...ndmatheson.htm
Old 11-26-18, 05:49 PM

Well, I plan on seeing Green Book on Wednesday morning... so it they can hold out until then, I'm good.
Old 11-26-18, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I missed my cancellation date last month, I know I should have done it earlier, but I'm stupid. Anyway, I'm still on the hook until December 17th, but I am cancelled now. I took the wife to the movies Sunday, I was surprised to find Widows on the list for the day, and it was playing at the theater we were going to, so I thought maybe I could check into it and buy a ticket for A Star Is Born instead. Nope. Checked the app at 9:30 AM and it said no more showings today. Fuck this company.
Old 11-27-18, 01:22 PM

Got an email from moviePass... now they’ve partnered with Winc and are trying to sell me wine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.