Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 05-25-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I had an issue yesterday morning trying to check into Solo at an e-ticketing theater. App kept crashing every time it was trying to load the seating chart. I didn't really have time to wait around until 11 to call customer service, so I just left it. After work when trying to check in again, I had the same problem. I still didn't really have time to deal with customer service, so I just went to a theater that doesn't support e-ticketing and bought my ticket there. No problems with the regular check in and luckily they weren't too busy. Still, my problems with the app seem to be more and more frequent lately.
Old 05-25-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Printed sign on the cashier's window at a small Manhattan multiplex today:

Old 05-25-18, 04:54 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Which should be common knowledge.
Old 05-25-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Closed at 41 cents today ... I really think their next report will be better news since eliminating repeat viewings will reduce their cash burn. However I am not sure they will make it to their next report.

It's interesting that Helios Matheson does not directly list MoviePass in its company overview on their investor relations page.

Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. is a provider of information technology services and solutions, offering a range of technology platforms focusing on big data, artificial intelligence, business intelligence, social listening, and consumer-centric technology. Its holdings include RedZone Map™, a safety and navigation app for iOS and Android users, and a community-based ecosystem that features a socially empowered safety map app that enhances mobile GPS navigation using advanced proprietary technology. Through TrendIt, HMNY has acquired technology addressing crowd and migration patterns and consumer behavior in real-time. The patented technology predicts population behavior, along with a crowd’s population size, origin and destination. HMNY is headquartered in New York, NY, with a second office in Bangalore, India, and is listed on the Nasdaq Capital Market under the symbol HMNY.
Old 05-26-18, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Deleting the app and reinstalling works.
Thanks for the heads up!

Luckily for me, the Photo/Movie Stub portion of the Check-In worked fine earlier this evening.
Old 05-26-18, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Weird glitch happened last night. Bought a ticket to see Solo and as I was uploading my ticket stub, the app crashed. I decided to wait until later to upload the ticket. Then I was prompted to do so and it uploaded fine.

However, I checked my viewing history today and Solo isn't there and if I tap on the movie in the app, it doesn't say that I previously watched it.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-26-18 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a weird issue yesterday when I opened the app, the first time since the most recent update. When I clicked on theaters the map had me at the African equator, which was juuuuust a bit off. I was kind of freaking out because I wanted to see Solo. I combed through here and the subreddit to see if anyone else had that problem. No one did, but I read someone's fix for a different issue was to clear the cache. Figured what the hell, did it, and the app was back to normal.

So might as well try that the next time you have a problem, too.
Old 05-26-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Several hours later Solo has now appeared in my viewing history on the app. Very weird glitch.
Old 05-26-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I mentioned a viewing history glitch a while ago. It was working when I first started, then had a gap of nothing showing up. Then it started working again.
Old 05-26-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No glitch here. If anything, it was more timely than before. Typically, movies show up in my history 3-4 hours after the showtime. Solo showed up within 15 minutes of buying the tickets.
Old 05-27-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,271 Likes on 729 Posts

I never got an email that I had to upload my ticket stub but yesterday it asked me to do it after I bought a ticket. I snapped a shot - hit send and it crashed. Tried again and it worked. No big deal.
Old 05-27-18, 11:30 AM

You won't ever get emails asking you to upload your stub. It will always be in the form of prompts from the app. If you don't get the prompt immediately after checking in, they won't ask for it later.
Old 05-27-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

He might be talking about the initial email saying you had to start doing. I got one.
Old 05-27-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Yup. I just got the e-mail yesterday that indicated that I've been added to the group that is now required to upload movie stub pictures.
Old 05-28-18, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw Deadpool and it requested a picture. Did it and no issues. Actually no real issues since i signed up back in November. Hopefully they last until after the summer although it's already paid for itself. If it does go under, it worked while it lasted. For me at least.
Old 05-28-18, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yup. I just got the e-mail yesterday that indicated that I've been added to the group that is now required to upload movie stub pictures.
I'm not even getting my money's worth but I hate to give it up. I've seen one movie in two months. Of course I'm not getting enough shop time, nor am I getting enough time on the golf course. I'm going to have to retire so I can enjoy all my pastimes more.
Old 05-28-18, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

After the latest update, the closest theater to me ( NCG Kingsport 11) has not loaded a single movie. It still shows as a location, but when I select it it just says "There are no more showings at this theater today" So I started a chat with MP to see what was going on. The rep asked me to uninstall the app and reinstall...no change. Then they asked me to reboot my phone...no change. Then they said that the theater had closed down! I called the theater to verify they had not, and wrote them back with the theater's phone number to call themselves. Next answer was that it's no longer a participating theater.

Ugh. I'm going to stop by the theater while I'm out today to see if they know what's up. I've got other theaters to use it at, but this one is the closest theater to home, has cheap concessions, and is where I go for Monday morning matinees. Dammit Dammit.
Old 05-28-18, 08:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
After the latest update, the closest theater to me ( NCG Kingsport 11) has not loaded a single movie. It still shows as a location, but when I select it it just says "There are no more showings at this theater today" So I started a chat with MP to see what was going on. The rep asked me to uninstall the app and reinstall...no change. Then they asked me to reboot my phone...no change. Then they said that the theater had closed down! I called the theater to verify they had not, and wrote them back with the theater's phone number to call themselves. Next answer was that it's no longer a participating theater.

Ugh. I'm going to stop by the theater while I'm out today to see if they know what's up. I've got other theaters to use it at, but this one is the closest theater to home, has cheap concessions, and is where I go for Monday morning matinees. Dammit Dammit.
Calling places is always my last resort. I’d have just tried a check-in with the time not showing option and checked if the card worked.
Old 05-28-18, 08:11 AM

I doubt that anyone at the theater knows anything. Theaters don't opt in or opt out of the program. That's all under the control of MoviePass. Sounds like the person you talked to didn't know what was going on and tried to pass the buck.
Old 05-29-18, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else get a student loan offer email? If this is their idea of monetization, that seems pretty desperate
Old 05-30-18, 07:58 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Helios and Matheson Analytics, the parent company of MoviePass, has acquired the exclusive option to buy Emmett Furla Oasis Films, the producers of “Lone Survivor” and “End of Watch,” Variety has learned.

If completed, the deal will enable the company to buy the entire film library and current production slate of EFO Films. Helios and Matheson plans to use the library and the filmmaking expertise of EFO Films to launch its own production company, MoviePass Films. Randall Emmett and George Furla will serve as co-CEO’s of the new venture.

The deal comes as MoviePass, best known for allowing customers to see a movie a day for less than $10 a month, is facing questions about its long-term future and current capitalization. Last week, Helios and Matheson’s stock fell to 5 cents-a-share, its lowest closing price, amid investor alarm about a cash shortage. In October, Helios and Matheson’s stock had been trading at $38.86 a share. The value has declined rapidly since a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission revealed the company had $15.5 million in available cash at the end of April, plus $27.9 million on deposit with merchants. Its monthly expenses totaled $21.7 million.

In an interview with Variety, Helios and Matheson CEO Ted Farnsworth said the deal to acquire EFO Films is a sign that MoviePass remains viable.

“This signals our long-term commitment to the movie business,” he said. “We’re here for the long haul.”

In an earlier interview at Cannes, Farnsworth hit back at critics, claiming that the company had roughly $300 million available from an equity line of credit. The deal for EFO Films is a combination of cash and stock. The financial specifics of the pact were not disclosed.

Even before the pact to buy EFO Films’ library, MoviePass has been inching into the content business. It is releasing “American Animals” on June 1st in collaboration with the Orchard and it will release “Gotti,” a crime film with John Travolta, on June 15. EFO Films produced the picture, which is how Farnsworth became acquainted with Emmett and Furla.

Helios will own 51% of MoviePass Films, while EFO Films will own the remaining 49% of the company. The partners say that MoviePass Films make new movies both for theatrical release and for other forms of distribution, such as direct-to-streaming services.

“Since we began disrupting the movie industry with our unprecedented low cost movie theater subscription service, MoviePass, we have envisioned owning and developing our own content and using the power of our several million subscribers to bolster the success of our films,” said Lowe in a statement. “I believe this partnership with Emmett Furla Oasis Films will accelerate those efforts.”

Stuart Benson, the CFO of Helios, will serve as the CFO of MoviePass Films; MoviePass Films Chairman of the Board will be Farnsworth. MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe will hold a seat on the board.

The EFO Films library also includes “Broken City,” “Rambo,” and “The Frozen Ground,” as well as films in development such as “Escape Plan 2” and “Asteroids,” an adaptation of the Atari video game.

MoviePass has been a controversial figure in the industry. The company pays movie theaters for its tickets and subsidizes its customers. However, exhibitors such as AMC have faulted the company for introducing an unsustainable pricing model into the business. Tickets in cities such as New York City or Los Angeles are in excess of $10, or cost more than a monthly MoviePass membership. They believe that MoviePass won’t be able to afford to keep subsidizing movie-going, leaving customers feeling aggrieved.

MoviePass has countered by saying that it is diversifying its business beyond subscriptions. It sells ads and plans to use the data from its customers to target moviegoers in ways that make money. Presumably, producing movies is part of its diversification.

Emmett said that his time working on “Gotti” had made him a MoviePass convert, praising the service for being able to drive its user base of more than 2 million customers to buy tickets.

“To do a deal with Helios and MoviePass is epic for us,” said Emmett. “The MoviePass subscription service has totally disrupted the movie industry, for the better.”
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/mo...202825039/amp/

Curious to see if the stock bounces back a bit.
Old 05-30-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

Well, at least now they'll have a steady supply of Bruce Willis and 50 Cent movies that are actually worth the severely reduced admission price but would otherwise go straight to DVD/streaming.
Old 05-30-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts

I mean, it bounced back like 10%, which doesn't seem bad but remember it's a penny stock now and is easily manipulated. It would basically have to more than double in value to even remain listed.
Old 05-30-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

As if MoviePass math wasn’t bad enough: I read an article that stated HMNY’s stock price has dropped by 467%. I ... uh ... um ... oh never mind. Just keep doing what you are doing.
Old 05-30-18, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

It's frustrating that they keep being distracted by these vanity projects. How long did Netflix exist as a company before they ventured in to their own producing?

Get your house in order first. Hire some statisticians and PR people to really go after the studios and theaters and show how valuable you are to them as a company and a game changer. Then hammer out a deal where everyone can profit and be happy and we can keep seeing movies for cheep.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.