Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 09:18 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I need to stop popping into this thread. It's just not fun to read. I've been so happy after making the switch to AMC A-List. If anything, I'm grateful that Movie Pass tried something that looks to be innovating and changing how we do movies. But to watch its floundering now is just a bummer.
Old 12-06-18, 09:30 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I need to stop popping into this thread. It's just not fun to read. I've been so happy after making the switch to AMC A-List. If anything, I'm grateful that Movie Pass tried something that looks to be innovating and changing how we do movies. But to watch its floundering now is just a bummer.
It just doesn't make any sense for an intermediary to be involved in this. Theatres, like AMC, should offer this directly. Any other program will lose money.
Old 12-06-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Literally three minutes ago, my local news mentioned this revamp of prices. Problem is, I can't rejoin for 6 or 7 more months. They probably should've had pricing like this earlier.
They would really block you from rejoining? And their system is more complicated than just changing your email address?

They're really going to run into a problem with their "red carpet" offering, because the guys that pay 25 bucks are for sure going to get their money's worth.
Old 12-06-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

They're really going to run into a problem with their "red carpet" offering, because the guys that pay 25 bucks are for sure going to get their money's worth.
They're still limiting you to 3 2D movies per month with that plan, just with supposedly no restrictions on when you can see them. They will lose money on it most likely, but not anywhere near like they were on the old unlimited plan.

That plan is really only going to draw subscribers in areas where the tickets are very expensive though. Here, the most expensive regular 2D tickets are only 11-12 bucks, so the savings aren't really that significant. I haven't singed up for A-List yet, and I don't know if I'm going to, but I still feel like it's a much better deal than this is.
Old 12-06-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They're still limiting you to 3 2D movies per month with that plan, just with supposedly no restrictions on when you can see them. They will lose money on it most likely, but not anywhere near like they were on the old unlimited plan.

That plan is really only going to draw subscribers in areas where the tickets are very expensive though. Here, the most expensive regular 2D tickets are only 11-12 bucks, so the savings aren't really that significant. I haven't singed up for A-List yet, and I don't know if I'm going to, but I still feel like it's a much better deal than this is.
A-list for sure is a much better deal if you have an AMC in the vicinity. It's 20 bucks a month for 3 movies every WEEK with online ticket purchasing, amc premiere, etc. Even when the price goes up that's a better deal.

I understand they potentially lose less money, but what I'm saying is that nearly every single one of those tier of subscribers is going to lose them money. Like if I'm paying 25 bucks a month, I'm seeing my three movies no matter what, it's no longer an impulse thing where they could potentially make money off my laziness.
Old 12-06-18, 10:52 AM

I guess I was confusing the pricing tiers too, because I read it again, and "Red Carpet" allows for IMAX and 3D shows (though times appear to be restricted), so yeah, if you're buying 3 IMAX tickets per month, that would probably be a significant money loser in the case of most subscribers. I mixed up "Red Carpet" with "All Access"
Old 12-06-18, 11:03 AM

Actually, I just went to MoviePass's website and the new plans are up (but you can't subscribe to them until next year) and their description of "Red Carpet" is different than what Variety makes it sound like.

It says:

Select
Great Value. Special Selection of Movies Just For You.
Starting at $9.95 a month

All Access
All Movies. All Showtimes. No restrictions.
Starting at $14.95 a month

Red Carpet
All Movies. All Showtimes. 1 Premium screening.

So select is like what we have now. All Access is 3 2D movies per month with supposedly no restrictions on movies or showtimes. Red Carpet is exactly the same as All Access, but ONE of your 3 movies can be 3D or IMAX.
Old 12-06-18, 11:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Actually, I just went to MoviePass's website and the new plans are up (but you can't subscribe to them until next year) and their description of "Red Carpet" is different than what Variety makes it sound like.

It says:

Select

All Access

Red Carpet

So select is like what we have now. All Access is 3 2D movies per month with supposedly no restrictions on movies or showtimes. Red Carpet is exactly the same as All Access, but ONE of your 3 movies can be 3D or IMAX.
The fact that Red Carpet does not have "No restrictions" written beside it wouldn't normally be a cause for concern, but with this company... yeah... I'm skeptical.

On a separate note, the only regret I have about dropping my subscription is that my MoviePass history, showing which films I saw, is gone. I really wish I would have thought to export that. I remember some but definitely not all.
Old 12-06-18, 11:38 AM

Old 12-06-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It says:

Select

All Access

Red Carpet

They also have some discounts if you're foolish enough to lock yourself in for a year.

All access:
119.95/year, 99.95/year if you buy 2+

Red Carpet:
149.95/year, 139.95/year if you buy 2+

I have to say, even if you believe they'll be around for a whole year, you'd be really foolish to think they're not going to change the terms on a whim.

edited to add: man, they're even screwing the people who are currently members out of this.

Codes may be submitted on the MoviePass website (link to be provided) starting on December 25, 2018, for 12 months of MoviePass. Code(s) must be submitted by April 30, 2019. Codes valid only for new subscribers or subscribers with a canceled or lapsed account prior to December 1, 2018.
Also holy crap, you can't pay for this with a debit or credit card, it's payment by ACH bank transfer only. So not only do you trust them with your bank info, but you lose all consumer protection from a credit card.

Payment by ACH bank transfer is currently the only option to sign up for this plan.

Your bank account will be debited the above total amount today, and you will receive an email with your subscription code(s) by December 24, 2018.

Last edited by fujishig; 12-06-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-06-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Also holy crap, you can't pay for this with a debit or credit card, it's payment by ACH bank transfer only. So not only do you trust them with your bank info, but you lose all consumer protection from a credit card.
Holy crap indeed. Who would trust this company with bank info?
Old 12-08-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Sounds like the credit card processors have cut them off.

One tidbit I did hear on a podcast but haven’t seen here: supposedly Mitch Lowe is no longer in charge of daily operations. They brought somebody in to take over that part of the business. The fact that he is still there at all is concerning.
Old 12-09-18, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

MP are so high if they think anyone is going to trust them after this year.
Old 12-09-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sounds like the credit card processors have cut them off.
I think it's more like, they don't want to give up 3% to the processors, plus they do away with chargeback problems.
Old 12-10-18, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

There is no way I'd ever give them my ACH info. And I'll never deal with them again because if the terms are significantly changed you should either be grandfathered or have the option to opt out and cancel and get a pro-rated refund.
Old 12-10-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBang
I think it's more like, they don't want to give up 3% to the processors, plus they do away with chargeback problems.
Yeah, they don't want people to demand refunds when they change the terms again.
Old 12-11-18, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
They are refusing to die. New plans and pricing tiers announced. Depends on the region where you live. Still 3 movies per month for all these plans.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...we-1203081461/
I think everyone would have been fine with this 6 months ago. But who in the world would trust them now? The last two months of my subscription I was only able to see two movies and that with me not caring about seeing the movie I said I was seeing. I would just see the "no more showings" screen for anytime after about 1pm.
Old 12-11-18, 09:14 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I think everyone would have been fine with this 6 months ago. But who in the world would trust them now? The last two months of my subscription I was only able to see two movies and that with me not caring about seeing the movie I said I was seeing. I would just see the "no more showings" screen for anytime after about 1pm.
About 6 months ago, MoviePass failed to recognize a good plan when they saw one.
Heard AMC Theaters jumped on board the movie subscription train. Twice the price for 1/4 the theater network and 60% fewer movies. Thanks for making us look good AMC!
Old 12-11-18, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by LeFou
About 6 months ago, MoviePass failed to recognize a good plan when they saw one.
Heard AMC Theaters jumped on board the movie subscription train. Twice the price for 1/4 the theater network and 60% fewer movies. Thanks for making us look good AMC!
Yes... let them profit since they are offering a better service.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 12-11-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One week till delisting ...
Old 12-11-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well they were correct on one thing, they definitely went the route of no profit. Profit is not a dirty word. It's how companies grow, add workforce, get stronger.
Old 12-11-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

I still really wish Movie Pass made it. I'm liking the AMC A list but the nearest one is 15 mins down the road from my nearest theater I went to. And being able to see a movie at virtually ANY theater especially when going out of town was really nice.

You could have BEEN something Movie Pass. Instead you threw it all away. We were really rooting for you.
Old 12-18-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://deadline.com/2018/12/bruce-w...th-1202522480/

Bruce Willis probably has the worst agent ever. Signs a 3 picture deal with MoviePass films.
Old 12-18-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully he didn’t take any stock options.

Today is the first possible day for delisting. Closing price 1.6 cents.

The good news is that they renegotiated debt that will allow them to sell BILLIONS of additional shares!

Here is a fun fact:

Helios and Matheson gave its CEO a total pay package of $8.9 million last year. That included $225,000 in salary, $1.35 million in cash bonuses, stock awards worth $7.25 million at the time they were granted, and $76,050 in housing expenses.

The company hasn't yet awarded the shares underlying the stock award to Farnsworth, because they have to be approved by shareholders first. But those shares are now worth just $49.50, thanks to the dramatic decline in the company's stock price.
https://www.businessinsider.com/movi...sation-2018-12
Old 12-19-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Based on the information it is too hard to tell but that CEO has the potential to have a large tax bill for now worthless stock.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.