Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Got an email from moviePass... now they’ve partnered with Winc and are trying to sell me wine.
I guess Winc doesn't care much for their business? First time I've heard of them.
Old 11-27-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of me trying to work with MP, I'm making it work for me.

Since we no longer have to take a picture of the ticket stub, I just check into whatever movie is playing around the time of something I actually want to see, then I use my MP to buy the correct ticket. It's not like they know what I'm using the card for, and now I don't feel like they're ripping me off every month.

Might as well squeeze what I can out before they implode.
Old 11-27-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Got an email from moviePass... now they’ve partnered with Winc and are trying to sell me wine.
Mitch Lowe: “New strategy — we get those blood sucking leeches called ‘customers’ so drunk they can’t leave the house to go see a movie!”
Old 11-27-18, 01:47 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Got the same email. An like I said earlier this year, MP's plan all along was to get our information and sell it to 3rd parties cause that's how a dipshit like Lowe's works.
Old 11-27-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Instead of me trying to work with MP, I'm making it work for me.

Since we no longer have to take a picture of the ticket stub, I just check into whatever movie is playing around the time of something I actually want to see, then I use my MP to buy the correct ticket. It's not like they know what I'm using the card for, and now I don't feel like they're ripping me off every month.

Might as well squeeze what I can out before they implode.
In order for that to work, SOMETHING has to be listed in the app. I haven't found any movie times listed any time that I've checked recently.

OK that isn't 100% true, usually there are times at the e-ticketing art theater 30 minutes away, but I'm not keeping it for that.
Old 11-27-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I guess Winc doesn't care much for their business? First time I've heard of them.
I have heard of Winc, but I’m not a wine drinker and I don’t follow the company to the extent that I could say anything specific. However I will make this general statement: if I were a company like Winc, I wouldn’t want my reputation tarnished by “partnering” with MoviePass.
Old 11-27-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
In order for that to work, SOMETHING has to be listed in the app. I haven't found any movie times listed any time that I've checked recently.

OK that isn't 100% true, usually there are times at the e-ticketing art theater 30 minutes away, but I'm not keeping it for that.
Yeah, EVERYTHING for me was gone by mid-day. The nearest e-ticketing theater was well over 40 minutes away. I would have had to drive over to the theater in the morning, check in, buy a ticket, then show up later for my show. Nearly impossible on a work day. On a weekend when shows are busier, the reserved seating would make it obvious I'm in the wrong seat.
Old 11-27-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, my only involvement with MoviePass now is taking a look at this thread every once in a while...
Old 11-27-18, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

They reimbursed my out of pocket eticket after I bailed. They still suck though.
Old 11-28-18, 10:21 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I was going to see the 11:15am showing of Green Book, but the app only has 8:15pm listed.

My app still asks for pics, so I’m concerned if I get an “unapproved tine” it’ll boink the system.

There are no times before 7:00pm listed in the app for any of the local theaters.
Old 11-28-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

They have kisoks? Go buy the 8:15 ticket at a kiosk, take a picture and submit it. Then take it to the box office and exchange it.
Old 11-28-18, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I missed my cancellation date last month, I know I should have done it earlier, but I'm stupid. Anyway, I'm still on the hook until December 17th, but I am cancelled now. I took the wife to the movies Sunday, I was surprised to find Widows on the list for the day, and it was playing at the theater we were going to, so I thought maybe I could check into it and buy a ticket for A Star Is Born instead. Nope. Checked the app at 9:30 AM and it said no more showings today. Fuck this company.
Yep, this is what really pisses me off. I think everyone understands you have to stop the bleeding. But for them to purposely cut off times that were available before is just ridiculous unethical and illegal. But then I look back on how many movies I took them for and I think it worked out okay in the end. Even though these last two months were for nothing.
Old 11-28-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If all goes well tomorrow afternoon, I will be watching Roma thanks to MoviePass. Worst case scenario, I pay $9 for the matinee.
Old 11-29-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If all goes well tomorrow afternoon, I will be watching Roma thanks to MoviePass. Worst case scenario, I pay $9 for the matinee.
Keep that $9 handy. You’re going to need it.
Old 11-29-18, 11:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Surprisingly, MP worked two days in a row for me, Green Book and Robin Hood, both part of the Regal free digital copy program to boot!
Old 12-03-18, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Now, all I get from Movipass is spam email. First one from T-Mobile and now one from Rover, both, partnering with MP
Old 12-03-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Is there a thread for "Showcase Subscribe" yet? I noticed a billboard for it on my way home today. 3 movies a month for 16.95

https://www.showcasesubscribe.com/?u...wcasesubscribe
Old 12-04-18, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Is there a thread for "Showcase Subscribe" yet? I noticed a billboard for it on my way home today. 3 movies a month for 16.95

https://www.showcasesubscribe.com/?u...wcasesubscribe
I'm an idiot. I just signed up for it. I realized, the nearest theater is 9,000 miles away. They don't have any participating theaters in Hawaii. While signing up, they said "virtually every theater is participating."
Old 12-04-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Cube
I'm an idiot. I just signed up for it. I realized, the nearest theater is 9,000 miles away. They don't have any participating theaters in Hawaii. While signing up, they said "virtually every theater is participating."
Showcase cinema is a chain. They have a decent prence in Massachusetts, so the virtually every theater probably means in the chain itself.... this is like the A list for AMC. Sorry if my post caused some confusion...
Old 12-04-18, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Showcase cinema is a chain. They have a decent prence in Massachusetts, so the virtually every theater probably means in the chain itself.... this is like the A list for AMC. Sorry if my post caused some confusion...
Their customer service was good. They refunded me already.
Old 12-05-18, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How hard were they laughing when they processed the refund?
Old 12-06-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

They are refusing to die. New plans and pricing tiers announced. Depends on the region where you live. Still 3 movies per month for all these plans.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/m...we-1203081461/

As part of that effort a chastened MoviePass is unveiling a new series of monthly plans, the prices of which will vary depending on geography. In the middle of the country and in less urbanized areas where movie tickets are cheaper these plans begin at $9.95 per month. The cheapest option gives customers the chance to see three movies per month at some point during their theatrical run. That plan has been christened “select.” The most expensive plan, dubbed “red carpet,” starts at $19.95 a month and allows users to see any three movies of their choosing at any time and in enhanced formats, such as IMAX and 3D. The last tier, known as “all access,” lets people see any three movies per month, at any time during their theatrical run. However, they must be in 2D. In pricier markets, such as Los Angeles and New York City, it’s more expensive. Costs range from $14.95 for the “select” plan to $24.95 for the “red carpet” package.
Old 12-06-18, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Literally three minutes ago, my local news mentioned this revamp of prices. Problem is, I can't rejoin for 6 or 7 more months. They probably should've had pricing like this earlier.
Old 12-06-18, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That would actually work for me since I never saw more than 3 while I had it anyway. I need the full last minute access for it to work. If it survives we may all be surprised but good for them I guess.
Old 12-06-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Can't wait to see how long this pricing plan stays in effect for? I give it a month until they start blacking out again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.