Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Na Na Na Na! Hey Hey Hey! Goodbye 3D!: Week(end) Box Office for 6/29 - 7/4

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-28-11, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In less than twenty-four hours, Paramount is releasing Transformers: Dark of the Moon only in 3D, as early as 8:30PM, until its official midnight release. Paramount has been notorious in the past on how theaters treat their 3D films. When it came to the release of How To Train Your Dragon, the only way theaters could show the film in 2D was by showing it in 3D. For more recent releases, theaters were advised to have a 2:1 ratio when it came to 3D vs. 2D screens. However, let's hear what the Hollywood Reporter has to say about the ongoing events of the next few days...

Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" -- which begins its assault Tuesday night -- will be the biggest referendum yet on 3D, which is showing sudden signs of fatigue in North America.

This past weekend, only 37% of the domestic grosses for domestic champion "Cars 2" came from 3D screens, an all-time low. Just a few months ago, a studio could count on 55% or 65% of the total gross coming from 3D.

Taking no chances, Paramount and director Michael Bay have marketed the 3D aspect of "Dark of the Moon" as much as the movie itself, which returns Shia LaBeouf in the title role.

Bay has been urging theater owners to boost the 3D experience by not scrimping on certain bulbs. He's also written to fans asking them to choose the more expensive format.

As part of the studio's marketing efforts, "Dark of the Moon" is rolling out in theaters Tuesday night -- but only in 2,700 3D locations (a mix of digital 3D and Imax theaters). It's yet another way of sparking word-of-mouth and getting people to see "Dark of the Moon" in 3D.

Tracking suggests "Dark of the Moon" will rake in $150 million to $160 million through the July 4 holiday, which falls on a Monday. "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" earned $200.1 million in its five-day debut in summer 2009, but it's unclear whether the domestic box office has returned to full health and able to support such a big number.

On Wednesday, "Dark of the Moon" moves into a total of 4,000 theaters, including 2,800 3D sites.

The movie has a relatively clear playing field. On Friday, two female-driven pics open: the Tom Hanks-Julia Roberts romantic dramedy "Larry Crowne" and Fox's teen picture "Monte Carlo," starring Selena Gomez and Leighton Meester.

"Larry Crowne," directed by Hanks, will go after adults, although tracking is relatively soft. Universal is distributing the film. Box office observers say "Larry Crowne" and "Monte Carlo" will each gross in the mid-teens for the four-day holiday weekend.

The international prospects for "Dark of the Moon" are enormous thanks to the success of the first two films and the continued strong appetite for 3D, particularly in such markets as Russia and China.

Disney's 3D "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" has grossed a massive $750.6 million internationally -- the third biggest title of all time overseas -- compared with a domestic tally of $229.3 million.

"Dark of the Moon" also begins rolling out Tuesday night overseas, and by Friday it will be playing in nearly every territory except Japan and China.

"Transformers" is Paramount's biggest franchise, with the first two films grossing $1.54 billion. The second film drew negative reviews, and Bay himself has said it wasn't his best effort. Along with LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Tyrese Gibson and John Turturro reprise their roles, while Peter Cullen returns as the voice of Optimus Prime and Hugo Weaving as the voice of Megatron. New faces include Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (who replaces Megan Fox as the love interest), Patrick Dempsey and John Malkovich.
To recap, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen grossed $200 million in its first five days. No 3D, but there were IMAX showings which did account for $11.7 million (17% of that five-day take). If Paramount's tracking is correct, $150-160 million is for an entire straight week. On day seven, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was already at $228 million. If we want to rub salt in some wounds, the original Transformers was already at $166 million by day seven. That's with no 3D and no IMAX. Paramount is already bracing for a low turnout due to the general public's sudden backlash to movie theaters (I wonder why...).

It's hard to say if people were that turned off by the last outing, but the majority seemed to like it as it grossed over $835 million worldwide.

However, if that tracking is correct, not only did the first sequel make some detractors... WE CAN SAY SAYONARA TO 3D! All eyes are on this release to see if 3D has life left in it. If less than 50% of the turnout is 3D, expect more and more released to be 2D only.

Too bad, I was awaiting Step Up 4 Sho to be put out in 3D.
Old 06-28-11, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Na Na Na Na! Hey Hey Hey! Goodbye 3D!: Week(end) Box Office for 6/29 - 7/4

Couple of things here: Isn't 3D practically pure-profit for a studio in terms of print cost? And On Stranger Tides got the same 3D percentage on opening weekend as Cars 2 yet it's touted in that article as an International sensation for it's 3D.

I would be really surprised if Transformers doesn't beat the seven day take of the prior films.
Old 06-28-11, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hope 3D lives. I support it 100%.
Old 06-28-11, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The mark-up on 3D is absolutely ridiculous in the theaters here in southern China: 120, which is close to $20. And this in a shabby cut-rate theater (like a 10-year old theater at the mall no one goes to).

HK is a bit better. The theaters are nicer and a movie only runs HK$90 for an IMAX matinee. That's about $12.

I have no issue seeing it in IMAX but would prefer not to see it in 3D.
Old 06-28-11, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why it's such a big story that Cars 2 grossed more in 2D than 3D. My kiddo isn't old enough to go to movies, but as a parent, I'd much rather him see the 2D version of something than risk the eye strain on such sensitive eyes trying to watch the 3D version. Not to mention I'd rather he be able to SEE the movie and not fight with the glasses the entire time.
Old 06-28-11, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sticking with this film breaking The Dark Knight's 5-day record of $203 mil. I know part 2 stunk, but the buzz seems to be positive and all the footage has been exciting. This Summer has been about as lackluster as 2010, so this will be the first home run of the season. 3D may be down, but this is more of an event film, al la Avatar, vs junk like Green Lantern. I think this film, along with Harry Potter, will give 3D a bump.
Old 06-28-11, 08:32 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I've noticed that films are advertising as "2D in Selected Theaters" as if that were the premium format. It used to be the other way around.
Old 06-28-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
To recap, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen grossed $200 million in its first five days. No 3D, but there were IMAX showings which did account for $11.7 million (17% of that five-day take).(
MC I don't get your math. 11.7 million is only 5.85 percent of 200 million...

3D seems to be a fash cash grab for studios at the moment. Movies such as Clash of the Titans added the 3D after the fact. It's my understanding that The Transformers was specifically shot in for 3D. I was going to watch it anyway as I'm a big fan of the Transformers. Hell I saw the cartoon in the theatres twice in 1986!
Old 06-28-11, 08:41 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Based on the previous installment, I think 3D will be the least of Transformers's problems.
Old 06-28-11, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Eh, I think if anything Transformers 3 will give a boost to 3D. Though I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 06-28-11, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I got out of the article... Shia Lebouf returns in the title role of Transformers: Dark of the Moon... Is he the Transformer or the Dark of the Moon?
Old 06-28-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor View Post
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure why it's such a big story that Cars 2 grossed more in 2D than 3D. My kiddo isn't old enough to go to movies, but as a parent, I'd much rather him see the 2D version of something than risk the eye strain on such sensitive eyes trying to watch the 3D version. Not to mention I'd rather he be able to SEE the movie and not fight with the glasses the entire time.
It's a big deal because studios want you to see it in 3-D and at first that was a big draw. Now that studios have run that into the ground and have been charging more, people aren't going.
Old 06-28-11, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I HATE the song you used in this thread title. Now it's in my head, so I hate you doubly.
Old 06-28-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only one who saves their glasses, pays the 2D price, and then sneaks into the 3D showing?
Old 06-28-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
Am I the only one who saves their glasses, pays the 2D price, and then sneaks into the 3D showing?
Now we know you're cheap and a fool.
Old 06-28-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Different 3-D systems use different types of glasses, right? So you can't be sure they'll be the right glasses.

I do like to save 3-D glasses if I can, though, as souvenirs.

The last time I went to a 3-D movie (in May--CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS), the sniveling little ushers demanded all the glasses back. I could have just said I gave mine to the other usher, but I didn't think of it in time.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-28-11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes.
Old 06-28-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do the same
Old 06-28-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MC I don't get your math. 11.7 million is only 5.85 percent of 200 million...

3D seems to be a fash cash grab for studios at the moment. Movies such as Clash of the Titans added the 3D after the fact. It's my understanding that The Transformers was specifically shot in for 3D. I was going to watch it anyway as I'm a big fan of the Transformers. Hell I saw the cartoon in the theatres twice in 1986!
Whoops, you're right. I don't know how to use a calculator.

To say that Transformers is the first event film of 2011, what about Pirates of the Caribbean? It was the fourth entry in a franchise that has done two billion plus theatrically worldwide and don't forget all the merchandise, video sales, etc.

Transformers is the sixth feature-length film to be released this year to actually be shot in 3D. The others being winners such as Drive Angry, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Everything else? All post-converts. Sad, but the studios have nobody to blame but themselves.

If you're going to release a product in 3D, shoot it in 3D. Don't take a project conceived and meant for 2D and convert it for 3D, because it doesn't work.
Old 06-28-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Now we know you're cheap and a fool.
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Whoops, you're right. I don't know how to use a calculator.
Well, well, well KillerCannibal... it looks like I'm not as a big a fools as you think!
Old 06-28-11, 04:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I've noticed that films are advertising as "2D in Selected Theaters" as if that were the premium format. It used to be the other way around.
I remember seeing that for Final Destination 3D. I don't think it's meant to denote the more premium format, but rather to let you know that only a few theaters will show it in 2D.
Old 06-28-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I hated Piranha's post-conversion (still the worst I've seen of any 3D, with Clash right behind), but I thought Green Hornet (and Lantern) had great post-conversion 3D.
Old 06-28-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, that's just wrong in regards to Green Lantern. The post-converted 3D was mediocre 3D at best and in one scene, they digitally recreated an ordinary object, making it the sole 3D element in that shot.
Old 06-28-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Genius!
Old 06-28-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

While the second one did hurt the franchise, isn't it a little early to call it a disappointment and the death nail of 3D considering it has yet to have one official showing at this point?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.