Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

TIME magazine 25 best animated features of all-time

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

TIME magazine 25 best animated features of all-time

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TIME magazine 25 best animated features of all-time

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My first published article appeared in Film Comment when Corliss was editor--31 years ago! So I'll always cut him some slack because of that. His successor, Richard T. Jameson, was pretty good, but then the magazine went downhill at some point in the 1990s, when it stopped covering classic cinema and focused almost entirely on current films and whoever the hell the Film Society at Lincoln Center seemed to be honoring that month. (I should also add, in the interest of full disclosure, that later editors, post-Corliss, rejected all my subsequent submissions.)
Nothing wrong with the '90s, as long as J. Hoberman was contributing.

I kind of fell off the Film Comment bandwagon when Gavin Smith took over. The overall tone became unpleasantly cliquish and snarky. He is also in love with the writing of Nathan Lee, whom I just can't stand.
Old 07-05-11, 07:18 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: TIME magazine 25 best animated features of all-time

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
OK, I did a search on his name...

I loved his article on the Times Website:
"Do Film Critics Know Anything?"
http://www.time.com/time/arts/articl...693300,00.html

"...I had realized that we critics may give these awards to the winners, but we give them for ourselves. In fact, we're essentially passing notes to one another, admiring our connoisseurship at the risk of ignoring the vast audience that sees movies and the smaller one that reads us."

"...But these laurels factor into publicity campaigns for the Oscars and Golden Globes; often they are the campaigns. It's the way we critics contribute to the art-industrial complex. Our prizes certainly help determine which films get nominated, setting in motion the next round of ballyhoo before the final prizes are handed out. So almost all the nominees will be from worthy obscurities that can't draw much of an audience in the theater or, when the awards shows are aired, on TV."

"...The Oscars are largely an affirmative action program, where the industry scratches its niche. The show is a conscience soother, but not a crowd pleaser."

***I really liked his writing and his honestly.

But, that is how critics can get attention, is by putting out strange lists that most people in their right mind would not agree with.

He knew what he was doing by putting out his list, now we are talking about him and doing searches about him on the Internet.

Hollywood and Critics live in a world only they can understand, they only make money if people watch them or read their work.
As I already said, the list does not reveal him to be a bad or uninformed critic (he might be, but we can't tell purely by the list), the list reveals him to be a lazy writer and/or bald faced self promoter. The list is writen at a sub-8th grade reading level (as is everything in Time magazine). The stupid choices on the list (like Horton and Kung Fu Panda) are put there as a sop to readers who would look at a REAL list of great animation and wonder why they'd never heard of any of the titles.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-06-11 at 11:39 AM.