Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Take Shelter (2011): Michael Shannon, Dir: Jeff Nichols

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Take Shelter (2011): Michael Shannon, Dir: Jeff Nichols

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Take Shelter (2011): Michael Shannon, Dir: Jeff Nichols

Originally Posted by Chadm
Michael Shannon was straight up robbed by the Oscars.
The Oscars are rarely about talent, unfortunately.
Old 02-15-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this was an incredibly tense experience. I loved it, and it may well be my favorite film of the year.
Old 02-16-12, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

glad to see all the positive reactions to this flick...i urge everyone to seek out SHOTGUN STORIES (Jeff Nichols' and Michael Shannon's first collaboration) as well if you haven't already done so.
Old 02-16-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Man I really want to see this... just reserved it on Redbox. Can't wait!!
Old 02-16-12, 05:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I wanted this on directv, but they don't seem to have it. Me sad.
Old 02-16-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
glad to see all the positive reactions to this flick...i urge everyone to seek out SHOTGUN STORIES (Jeff Nichols' and Michael Shannon's first collaboration) as well if you haven't already done so.
Oh totally.

I still think about that film, and it's been a few months since I watched it.
Old 02-22-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this. To echo similar sentiments that have been posted already, this was just superb. Definitely one of the best films of the year. Michael Shannon continues to amaze. I can't think of an actor working today that continually delivers the goods and gets better with each performance. He is spectacular. Jessica Chastain is sublime. 4.5/5
Old 02-23-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes he was.

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
The Oscars are rarely about talent, unfortunately.
That is why I never bother with them anymore. Since Julia Roberts won I have not watched a single one. I used to really enjoy them when winning one mattered.

Great f'n movie btw.
Old 02-25-12, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the ending. (Spoilerize) Wife and I watched this last night and we aren't sure about the end.

Spoiler:
So the final storm they see on the beach is real? What is the motor oil? Are they going to die now because they are a long way from the shelter?
Old 02-25-12, 10:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by taa455
I would like to hear some of your thoughts on the ending. (Spoilerize) Wife and I watched this last night and we aren't sure about the end.

Spoiler:
So the final storm they see on the beach is real? What is the motor oil? Are they going to die now because they are a long way from the shelter?
Spoiler:
yes, it seemed like it was real and the end of days is near as he predicted.

don't think it was motor oil just like a plague type rain to indicate apocalypse. i think they were thinking they would make it back to shelter in time and why so seemingly calm OR they were just giving in to their fate together and nothing they could really do anymore.

i think either scenario works, but ultimately my take was he was not schzophrenic at all, but more clairevoyent/prophetic.

really solid performances especially by Shannon. movie that will haunt you long after. well, maybe not haunt you, but sit with you as it was very well done.
Old 02-25-12, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Yes he was.

That is why I never bother with them anymore. Since Julia Roberts won I have not watched a single one. I used to really enjoy them when winning one mattered.

Great f'n movie btw.
well...you'd have to go back earlier. I'm still never content that John Wayne got the Oscar for True Grit. Please. It was an Oscar they gave him cuz he had an awesome career and deserved to be recognized for it...Rooster Cogburn was merely a small reason for it. Kind of like Marty's Oscar...yeah...BS win considering he was due so fucking long before.
Old 02-27-12, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
Spoiler:
yes, it seemed like it was real and the end of days is near as he predicted.

don't think it was motor oil just like a plague type rain to indicate apocalypse. i think they were thinking they would make it back to shelter in time and why so seemingly calm or they were just giving in to their fate.

i think either scenario works, but ultimately my take was he was not schzophrenic at all, but more clairevoyent.

really solid performances especially by Shannon. movie that will haunt you long after. well, maybe not haunt you, but sit with you as it was very well done.
I agree that it was a great movie. However, it seems strange to me how divided opinions are regarding the ending. I'm not saying I am correct, because there is no truly correct answer, but here is my take:

Spoiler:
I think that the ending was basically his "major breakdown" or the fully realized schizophrenia that he had been building up to. I think that the storm at the end was his most severe delusion. I think the ending displayed that his visions had grown so real that he was seeing his family now acknowledge and agree with him that there was in fact a "storm" coming.

I'm just not certain as to when the final dream sequence started. I think that perhaps he and his wife's visit with the psychiatrist was a delusion because it compounded his worst fear - that he would have to leave his family, just as his mother did. They were originally NOT going to go on vacation. They simply could not afford it, yet they still went. I think this was another hint that the final sequence was a dream.

To me, it just seems strange to think that the storm was literal when his mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The "storm" was always awaiting him in his DNA.
Old 02-27-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the interpretations of the ending.

Spoiler:
I'm in the camp that thinks it was real. Even before the ending, I started to get the idea that the movie was making him out to be a prophet.

Now I can definitely see it the other way as well. However, I really don't think that was what was intended.
Old 02-27-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree.

Spoiler:
It was real.

Only the best films leave with you something to think about, and rely on the intelligence of the viewer in that way. Jeff Nichols is going to do great things I suspect.
Old 02-28-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Over a week later and I am still on the fence about the ending. I can't say that has ever happened before about any movie. I am still thinking about it and the movie as a whole. Probably going to have to purchase this one and give it a few more views.

This was powerful stuff.
Old 03-01-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just saw the film and I can see I'm not the first to quote this for truth. I think he should have made the cut over Pitt or Oldman.
Old 03-01-12, 10:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it was kind of eerie watching this last night with rain pounding on the skylight - I thought the pacing was a tad slow at points (fell asleep on it a couple of times). Shannon's acting - wow!
Old 03-06-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Dining Dead
I agree that it was a great movie. However, it seems strange to me how divided opinions are regarding the ending. I'm not saying I am correct, because there is no truly correct answer, but here is my take:

Spoiler:
I think that the ending was basically his "major breakdown" or the fully realized schizophrenia that he had been building up to. I think that the storm at the end was his most severe delusion. I think the ending displayed that his visions had grown so real that he was seeing his family now acknowledge and agree with him that there was in fact a "storm" coming.

I'm just not certain as to when the final dream sequence started. I think that perhaps he and his wife's visit with the psychiatrist was a delusion because it compounded his worst fear - that he would have to leave his family, just as his mother did. They were originally NOT going to go on vacation. They simply could not afford it, yet they still went. I think this was another hint that the final sequence was a dream.

To me, it just seems strange to think that the storm was literal when his mother was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The "storm" was always awaiting him in his DNA.
I agree with your assessment of the ending. IMO
Spoiler:
he had fully realized his schizophrenia as they were never supposed to go on that trip and save the money for their daughters expenses.

Slow, but a great movie!
Old 03-09-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Good movie, excellent performance by Shannon. Surprised by how creepy it was at times.
Old 03-18-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Watched it last night for the first time and WOW......what a great movie! Agree Michael Shannon deserved an Oscar nomination. He was terrific. As was Jessica Chastain. As great as she was in "The Help", she was 10 x better in this. I don't think I've seen another actor or actress come out of no where and do so many high profile movies in one year. And be so good in each.
Old 03-20-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I thought Shannon was f'n great in this - he really is a great actor.

Buuuuuut, didn't really like this flick, I don't know what I was expecting going in but I knew it wasn't what I got. Very heavy on the drama...little too much and the film dragged at times.

The ending was no payoff either not that I need it but
Spoiler:
with all the build up given, I would have much appreciated a glimpse of how bad the storm was and an ending of what was left behind in the stroms path....I would have liked to see Shannon facing a few other surviviors who were in the room eating when he got into the fight

I mean, it wasn't a bad film at all - it just had a tired "been there, done that" feel to it.
Old 03-20-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ no offense but i'm glad you don't write movies for a living. i would've hated those changes.
Old 03-21-12, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
^ no offense but i'm glad you don't write movies for a living. i would've hated those changes.
I'm not saying those EXACT changes but....something (and for the record...they could have easily kept the film as good as it was with the changes I mentioned - especially if no dialouge was used). I mean I wasn't looking for payoff like a dumbed-down action flick would give ya but with how good the acting was in the film and how well it was put together....just, something more than what was given. Hell, maybe even go a little deeper then just
Spoiler:
ending it on the beach.
Old 03-21-12, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. That's telegraphing it too much to the audience and downplays it. No. Just no.
Old 03-21-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok then. Tough crowd. I'll just leave at something felt missing and the drama overstayed its welcome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.