DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/591844-green-lantern-campbell-2011-%97-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 06-15-11 02:36 PM

Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Green Lantern" (Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, Peter Sarsgaard, Tim Robbins, Mark Strong)

Release Date:
6/17/2011

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi action, violence, outer space madcapness, cheesy one-liners, holding up ones' phone and determining that the Blake Lively pictures are in fact really her throughout)

Running Time:
105min. (1h. 45m.)

Budget:
$150 million

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In a universe as vast as it is mysterious, a small but powerful force has existed for millenniums. Protectors of peace and justice, they are called the Green Lantern Corps. A brotherhood of warriors formed by the different races from entire universe sworn to keep intergalactic order, each Green Lantern wears a ring that grants him superpowers. But when a new enemy called Parallax threatens to destroy the balance of power in the Universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of their newest recruit, the first human ever selected for the Corps: Hal Jordan.

Hal is a gifted and cocky test pilot, but the Green Lanterns have little respect for humans, who have never harnessed the infinite powers of the ring before. But Hal is clearly the missing piece to the puzzle, and along with his determination and willpower, he has one thing no member of the Corps has ever had: humanity. With the encouragement of fellow pilot and childhood sweetheart Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), if Hal can quickly master his new powers and find the courage to overcome his fears, he may prove to be not only the key to defeating Parallax he will become the greatest Green Lantern of all.

IMDb Info and Rating:
6.3 (13,594 votes as of 7/04/11)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:52 Rotten:144 (27% as of 7/04/11)

Metacritic:
39 metascore ('Generally unfavorable reviews' as of 7/04/11)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="341"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/11188"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/11188" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="341"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...osters/gl2.jpg

The Antipodean 06-15-11 02:56 PM

Re: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

We can break the embargo a day early down here - a kind of mixed review:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10732434

The Antipodean 06-15-11 05:25 PM

...Ow, I see now it's sitting on 20% on Rotten Tomatoes. Looks like this won't exceed critical expectations like Thor and First Class did (IMHO of course). Will still try to see it this weekend with my kid, but dialing down hopes rapidly...

OldBoy 06-16-11 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks (Post 10818829)
Let me answer the big question first: No, this is NOT a bomb, nor should it be. The film lives on the back of its star, and Ryan Reynolds is very good here (I've always enjoyed him, though). The story and plot get fairly ridiculous at times for those of us unfamiliar with the lore, but it's a fun movie with some cool special effects (i.e. the constructs) and pretty good 3D. I wasn't thrilled with the last act but it's worth seeing. I'd say it hovers between a B- and a B.

Like most superhero movies, stay through the first part of the credits.

ConVerse 06-16-11 08:07 AM

No Spoilers here

My sister works at a movie theatre and got me into a sneak peek last night. It's definitely not a movie for critics. It's not "The Kings Speech" ... but it is a VERY entertaining movie. The 3D conversion was done really well (and I usually hate 3D). Reynolds was great as Hal Jordan. I thought Peter Sarsgard was really good as Hammond. Very creepy. And Strong was perfect as Sinestro (I just wish we had more of him).

It's a perfect summer movie.

Iron_Giant 06-16-11 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ConVerse (Post 10819172)
No Spoilers here

My sister works at a movie theatre and got me into a sneak peek last night. It's definitely not a movie for critics. It's not "The Kings Speech" ... but it is a VERY entertaining movie. The 3D conversion was done really well (and I usually hate 3D). Reynolds was great as Hal Jordan. I thought Peter Sarsgard was really good as Hammond. Very creepy. And Strong was perfect as Sinestro (I just wish we had more of him).

It's a perfect summer movie.

Man, your little review has lifted my spirts about the movie. Huge GL fan, so I think the trailers has captured the soul of GL Corps perfectly - Except for Hal having to much humor. But, Hollywood will have to change the charater a bit, I have to cut them a little slack.

Groucho 06-16-11 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by ConVerse (Post 10819172)
It's definitely not a movie for critics. It's not "The Kings Speech" ... but it is a VERY entertaining movie.

Here we go again with the fallacy that critics don't like popcorn movies. Plenty of comic book films have gotten good reviews, including all the superhero flicks put out this year so far (except this one).

Just because it's a comic book movie, or a popcorn film, doesn't give it license to suck.

Solid Snake 06-16-11 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10819308)
Here we go again with the fallacy that critics don't like popcorn movies. Plenty of comic book films have gotten good reviews, including all the superhero flicks put out this year so far (except this one).

Just because it's a comic book movie, or a popcorn film, doesn't give it license to suck.

This. Get it through your skulls people....regardless of what it's based upon...it doesn't mean it has to suck on purpose.

ConVerse 06-16-11 10:10 AM

I was just giving my opinion. Critics hate a lot of movies that I like and I don't care for some movies that critics rave about.

I'm just an average movie-goer and I can honestly say that I really enjoyed the movie and I believe the general audience will as well.

That's not saying that I'm right or wrong, just one person's opinion.

Solid Snake 06-16-11 10:35 AM

list the movies that you liked and that the critics didn't. I'm not slamming you for enjoying a movie...enjoying a movie is simply that...it doesn't apply to a film's quality..just that you liked it a lot.

ConVerse 06-16-11 10:51 AM

Well, off the top of my head ... I know critics weren't too fond of "Battle: Los Angeles" and I liked that. Critics bashed "Hall Pass" and I thought it was really funny. I'd have to think about it more, but those 2 are definitley fresh in my mind.

Groucho 06-16-11 10:52 AM

That should be the blurb on the poster "As good as Battle: Los Angeles and Hall Pass!"

Giles 06-16-11 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ConVerse (Post 10819403)
Well, off the top of my head ... I know critics weren't too fond of "Battle: Los Angeles" and I liked that. Critics bashed "Hall Pass" and I thought it was really funny. I'd have to think about it more, but those 2 are definitley fresh in my mind.

as were some of us 'common folk' too. "really I paid to see, er endure that crap" :doh:

ConVerse 06-16-11 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10819405)
That should be the blurb on the poster "As good as Battle: Los Angeles and Hall Pass!"

hahahaha, like I said, i'm the average movie-goer. I'm not gonna comment on the cinematography or anything. I liked the movie. That's pretty much it. I left the theatre feeling very satisfied.

RichC2 06-16-11 11:49 AM

I thought Hall Pass was pretty funny in spots but hated Battle LA (it put me to sleep).

Sooo yeah, dunno. Blu-ray it is!

Supermallet 06-16-11 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ConVerse (Post 10819409)
hahahaha, like I said, i'm the average movie-goer. I'm not gonna comment on the cinematography or anything. I liked the movie. That's pretty much it. I left the theatre feeling very satisfied.

There's a member in the Other forum who leaves bath houses satisfied, but we're not recommending that activity to everyone else.

ConVerse 06-16-11 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10819503)
There's a member in the Other forum who leaves bath houses satisfied, but we're not recommending that activity to everyone else.

Hey, if it makes him happy, more power to him.

ConVerse 06-16-11 12:18 PM

I just realized they put the Nathon Fillion fan trailer on the original post.

davidh777 06-16-11 12:59 PM

Thanks for the review, ConVerse. No judgment intended on you! :)

RichC2 06-16-11 01:12 PM

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/110619994

2.5 out of 4 from Ebert - he liked it more than Thor.

Apple Gooncha 06-16-11 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ConVerse (Post 10819538)
I just realized they put the Nathon Fillion fan trailer on the original post.

:lol:

Also, while still not impressive, it is at a 44 at Metacritic right now, a little better than the 20 or so at RT.

Groucho 06-16-11 01:53 PM

They have different systems. Metacritic tallies average overall scores, RottenTomatoes tallies overall reaction (positive/negative).

In other words, currently 20% of reviews are positive towards the movie, and the overall average score is 4.4/10.

Apple Gooncha 06-16-11 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 10819668)
They have different systems. Metacritic tallies average overall scores, RottenTomatoes tallies overall reaction (positive/negative).

In other words, currently 20% of reviews are positive towards the movie, and the overall average score is 4.4/10.

I am more than aware at how the systems work. I'm just saying that it appears some of the negative reviews from RT show up more as mediocre reviews on Metacritic. Still, 44 isn't exactly reassuring me any more as to the quality of the movie.

Giles 06-16-11 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 10819501)
I thought Hall Pass was pretty funny in spots but hated Battle LA (it put me to sleep).

Sooo yeah, dunno. Blu-ray it is!

granted I fell asleep on the equally loud 'Transformers 2' - 'Battle Los Angeles' bass rippled through the floor and legs making it a tad hard for me to fall asleep on.

Jaymole 06-16-11 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha (Post 10819677)
I am more than aware at how the systems work. I'm just saying that it appears some of the negative reviews from RT show up more as mediocre reviews on Metacritic. Still, 44 isn't exactly reassuring me any more as to the quality of the movie.

Mediocrity!!!...I'm definitely psyched to see this now!!!