DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/591844-green-lantern-campbell-2011-%97-reviews-thread.html)

B5Erik 06-17-11 08:02 PM

Re: Green Lantern (Campbell, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

As for Green Lantern, I liked it.

It's not great, but it is very entertaining. It's not as good as it could have been (they made Hal Jordan a little too flakey), but the CGI was very well done and there was just enough character development to make the movie work.

The one thing that struck me ever since I saw the trailer was how Parallax looked like the version of Galactus from the 2nd Fantastic Four movie.

But, overall, I thought Green Lantern was good, not great by any measure, but good.

Super X 06-17-11 09:10 PM

Just got back from seeing this. Overall, it was better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it. The visual effects were great and Ryan Reynolds toned done his normal smugness and made a decent Hal Jordan. I could definitely see the things that could have made this a great movie.

However, in many ways, it felt like an incomplete film, which is why I give it only an okay grade. Events occur suddenly at times, seemingly apropos of nothing. Characters have sudden, undeveloped connections. It very much seemed as though the should have edited it tighter than they did or that they left some needed scenes on the cutting room floor. As a result, it felt like an oddly-paced film. I'd be interested in seeing a director's cut to see what Campbell's vision of the film looks like, assuming that this was not his cut of the film.

Ultimately, I doubt this will perform stronly enough to produce a sequel, but I'm okay with it on it's own. But I lament what seems to be the wasted potential of what looks like could have been almost a great film.

Paul_SD 06-17-11 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10821452)
If you started with unknown properties like Thor, Green Lantern, and Iron Man without doing the origin, you'd completely alienate mainstream audiences and signal the end of comic book movies.

Internet comics nerds != general movie audiences. The latter need to be brought up to speed...

the first X-men movie is good example of a film that drops you right in the middle of the story/conflict and then parcels out the exposition as you need to know it.
Out of all the comic book movies, I thought Fantastic Four was the one that could have easily dispensed with stepping us through the entire A,B,C's of how everything happened, and instead just used some kind of meta commentary, like a segment of a TV tabloid show, to deliver quick concise exposition about who these people are, how they got their powers, what their powers are, and where they are now. That group was always written as media friendly and out in the open, so it would have made perfect sense. But there a slew of other, creative ways to get the exposition out of the way quickly and efficiently to get on with more vigorous, external conflicts.

Actually, Star Wars is an even better example. We don't need the prequels at all, and (ep IV) starts in the middle of the story, but audiences have never had a problem figuring out what is going on. And that is about as exposition heavy material as there is.

maingon 06-18-11 01:04 AM

Well I been looking forward to seeing this one as I'm a fan of the Comics and I worked on the vfx and Stereoscopic 3D and I must say it was pretty average. It wasnt a train wreck like the reviews were suggesting nor was as good as X-men First class.

I really loved everything on Oa and Blake Lively really looked stunning through out the movie. I was really puzzled by the direction/editing/pacing of the film really wasnt done well. Also you got a guy who can create anything that he imagines and yet you dont have one really cool action scene. Also the Final battle was a huge letdown.

Overall its a C+. I sorta liked it more then Thor but was really hoping to be blown away by this movie cause the Wondercon Trailer had me really excited.

Iron_Giant 06-18-11 01:13 AM

Loved it.

Was in perfect - no, very few movies are.

To bring GL to life is very difficult to do, I was pleasantly surprise after reading the "Bad" reviews. Went with 5 people and everyone was liked it and was very entertained.

They had to change Hal and give him the ability to make the audience to laugh. A man with no fear can be a very boring charter on the big screen.

Parallax origins had to changed just a bit, but not a big deal.

Reviews were complaining out some of the constructs GL created, I thought they were all great. The spring in the TV ads worked, I do not get the attitude on the guy using a little creativity.

-Want more Kilawog, Sinestro and the GLC. (More screen time, more action from them - I hope there will be a GL2 "The Sinestro Wars")

I am going to see it again tomorrow morning with another buddy.

WE ARE THE CORPS...

Mike86 06-18-11 01:16 AM

It was just okay if you ask me. Maybe not as bad as some of the reviews are making it out to be but not that great really either. For the most part I just wasn't that interested in the story and the pacing just felt off. I think a big problem the movie had was the villains just seemed sorta lame and the battle at the end was kind of a let down. So far this is easily the weakest of the superhero movies this Summer after the really enjoyable movies that are X-Men: First Class and Thor.

TimeandTide 06-18-11 03:26 AM

Just got back from seeing this and I agree with the rest about the awkward pacing. Felt at times as if entire scenes had been skipped.

And the CGI was really bad in places. The scene of Parallex flying through space got a few laughs from the audience...looked like the type of intentionally bad animation you'd find on Robot Chicken. The flying scenes were also poorly done and were barely an improvement on the '78 Superman. (Shocking considering GL's mammoth budget.)

Sinestro stole the show. Loved every scene he was in (especially the bit after the credits).

Didn't buy Lively at all in her role, and the melodramatic scenes between her and GL also got a few groans and laughs from the audience.

A C-, and zero intention of watching it again.

Deftones 06-18-11 08:57 AM

Good: Special effects. Were spectacular in 2D.
Ryan Reynolds put out a pretty good performance. Wasn't great, but certainly wasn't as bad as some were expecting. Mark Strong was a great Sinestro, too.

Bad: The god-awful dialogue. Holy shit there were some cringe worthy moments. Some of the things that GL conjured up. The race car? :lol: As soon as my buddy and I saw it, we looked at each other and busted out laughing.

Was it horrible? No way. Was it great? No way. Definitely not as good as Thor and I anticipate Captain America will blow both of them away.

Solid Snake 06-18-11 10:25 AM

I was wondering what Strong was like...from the trailers he seemed he was on the ball. Love his work.

JumpCutz 06-18-11 10:37 AM

Strong's Sinestro is by far the best thing about the film. He is excellent throughout the film in his limited role.

mrhan 06-18-11 12:47 PM

Spoiler:
What scene did John Stewart appear in? The character is listed on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3842480/

Deftones 06-18-11 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10822044)
Spoiler:
What scene did John Stewart appear in? The character is listed on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3842480/

i believe he was one of the 3 guys that got beat up at the bar after Hal got his ring.

mrhan 06-18-11 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10822058)
i believe he was one of the 3 guys that got beat up at the bar after Hal got his ring.

If it was him; it's pretty much out of character for him to jump someone.

The Cow 06-18-11 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 10822178)
If it was him; it's pretty much out of character for him to jump someone.

I read he was supposed to be in the bar scene, but it was cut.

Dr. DVD 06-18-11 03:03 PM

Saw it. Green Lantern has good FX work and the 3D for once does not seem superfluous. However, it also feels like a really good superhero/comic book movie has been invaded by a crappy Ryan Reynolds romance movie. The first ten minutes was probably the best superhero movie opening I had seen in a long time. Whenever the movie was on Oa (sp?) and focusing on the corps, it was good. Whenever Ryan Reynolds was on screen being the same Ryan Reynolds we've seen a million times, it wasn't. I will say that I loved post credits bit. I just doubt they will be making more movies after this one.

gmanca 06-18-11 05:08 PM

Ok, 2 things about this movie; If you're going to see it, go see it in 2D, the 3D was fairly bad. In one scene, an ordinary object was added digitally to make it a 3D scene.

Second thing, if you like Superman 3, you'll enjoy this film more and if you hated that movie, you'll like this one a bit more than that.

It's a movie which failed at the production level, having producers who saw the dollar signs of a comic book movie. It's telling in what type of director they hired, how they budgeted the film, and what they thought would be the best sequences. Had they spent all of their 3D cash on more effects shots/ action sequences, it would have been a much better film.

Spoiler:
The sequence where Tomar Re says "Welcome to Oa", it should not have been a simple pan shot; there should have been a depth zoom through out that skyline to show all of the inhabitants, architecture, etc. The fact that the producers/director didn't see that as a necessary piece of that shot shows how by-the-numbers and out of cash they were.

Supermallet 06-18-11 05:13 PM

I do kind of like Superman III.

B5Erik 06-18-11 06:19 PM

One thing I should add - I took three 11 year old girls to the movie (birthday party thing), and they LOVED it. One of them said it was in her Top 5 movies of all time. It seems to resonate with the kids really well. Even my wife liked it, which I didn't expect.

I give it a "B," but the kids liked it more than I did.

The Antipodean 06-18-11 08:11 PM

I enjoyed it for what it was, nowhere near the apocalypse of superhero film some of the usual internet overreactors would have it be -- Ryan Reynolds was a good Hal Jordan (a character I've never particularly liked in comics anyway) who also channeled a bit of Kyle Rayner, the villains were a bit weak but the Corps was decently presented. It was also suitable for the 7-year-old who really dug it. I'd give it a solid "B" but it is flawed (there seems to be a bit of a leap between the scenes before the final battle and the battle itself).

glassdragon 06-18-11 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10820975)
I'm glad somebody got it. :)

You just have too much fear

I really enjoyed it honestly. I did feel that the good vs evil part of the movie was a bit too short though, but all in all it was good.

Hokeyboy 06-18-11 11:55 PM

CHRIST! Did a 10-year-old write that script? Fucking retarded. :mad:

I'm a huge GL fan so this was a crushing disappointment. :(

mdc3000 06-19-11 12:16 AM

Had some good moments but I was fighting sleep for the mostly dull second half. Hal never showed any real heart, didn't do anything cool to prove himself and the final defeat of the villain seemed way too easy. Oa and the Corps was the best part, we could have spent a lot more time on that stuff. I think there was a better movie lying on the cutting room floor but they wanted to get out something brisk that teenagers could see up to 5 times a day. I think with the right talent involved, they've set up enough stuff to make a HELL of a sequel.

Sorraffy 06-19-11 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10822568)
I think with the right talent involved, they've set up enough stuff to make a HELL of a sequel.

I agree. If there ever was a sequel they could really start branching out now that the introductory stuff is out of the way; I would figure most of the movie would take place away from Earth and we'd see a lot more GLC involvement.

Labor 06-19-11 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10822561)
CHRIST! Did a 10-year-old write that script? Fucking retarded. :mad:

I'm a huge GL fan so this was a crushing disappointment. :(

Its easily the most inept big budget hollywood presentation ive seen in years.

Nothing about it even remotely gives off the impression that anyone who even has a clue about movies was involved in making this.

Its a colossal turkey

riley_dude 06-19-11 02:22 AM

I actually liked it. I thought it was a fun comic book movie. Maybe not as good as some of the Aasgard stuff in Thor but the earth scenes played better in Green Lantern than in Thor.
I thought the effects were top notch and Reynolds did a fine job.