Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Old 06-04-11, 10:44 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I'm currently re-watching all of the films that I've seen since 2000 (plus checking out all of the ones that I haven't seen) so that I can look at these films with a new and critical eye. Some movies have remained classics in my eyes, others aren't quite as good as I remember them being, and some I've actually liked a lot more this time around. These movies are prime examples of quality filmmaking, whether they are adult dramas, action movies or teenage comedies. The acting, direction, cinematography, writing and pacing are all top notch. They grab your attention from the very start and never let go. Above all, though, they are, in my opinion at least, the most memorable films of the decade.

I've decided to adopt a system similar to the Michelin star system whereby there are 2 tiers of movies. The difference between the first tier and the second tier is that the second tier consists of movies that have that special "movie magic" that we all know and love. While movies in the first can be very interesting to watch they just lack that extra cinematic punch of second tier films. A 1/5 on the second tier doesn't mean that it's bad, it just means that it has more noticable flaws than a 5/5. Every single movie on the second tier is a must-see film and has a high chance of making a memorable impact on the viewer.

It is crucial for you, the reader, to understand the parameters that I take into consideration when evaluating a film, and these are: 1. what kind of film is it (what genre is it and is it trying to be intellectual/thought-provoking or not) and 2. the actual mechanics of the film (the writing, the acting, the cinematography, the pacing, etc). One cannot compare apples and oranges, only apples and apples. For example, if we're talking about the "intellectual value" of a movie then, yes, films like War of the Worlds, Napoleon Dynamite and Chicago don't really hold a candle to more intellectually demanding and thought-provoking movies like Cache, Talk To Her, Yi Yi, etc. Understanding this is vital to understanding why certain movies A. are on my list and B. received certain ratings. A film like Chicago and a film like Yi Yi may be completely different from one another, but if one takes into account their respective genres and intellectual aspirations they both easily deserve a 5/5.

I've put the films in alphabetical order from the best quality to the least (5/5 movies then 4/5 then 3/5 then 2/5 then 1/5). This list has the potential to grow as I watch more and more films, so watch out for new additions!

***** - Virtually Flawless (63 Total)
**** (23 Total)
*** (14 Total)
** (5 Total)
* (11 Total)

Comments are welcome

The List:

[Rec] - 5
2046 - 5
4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days - 5
A.I. - 5
Adoration - 5
American Psycho - 5
Battle Royale - 5
Before Sunset - 5
Black Hawk Down - 5
Black Swan - 5
Broken Embraces - 5
Cache - 5
Chicago - 5
Chop Shop - 5
The Class - 5
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - 5
The Departed - 5
Dogville - 5
Donnie Darko - 5
Easy Virtue - 5
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind - 5
Fantastic Mr. Fox - 5
The Fighter - 5
Finding Nemo - 5
Fish Tank - 5
Hero - 5
High Fidelity - 5
I Saw The Devil - 5
Lost In Translation - 5
LOTR Series -5
The Machinist - 5
Mary & Max - 5
Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World - 5
Memento - 5
Monsoon Wedding - 5
Mother - 5
Mulholland Dr. - 5
Munich - 5
Napoleon Dynamite - 5
Once - 5
Pan's Labyrinth - 5
Paranormal Activity - 5
The Piano Teacher - 5
Punch-Drunk Love - 5
Ratatouille - 5
Requiem For A Dream - 5
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 5
Sideways - 5
Spirited Away - 5
Syndromes And A Century - 5
Talk To Her - 5
There Will Be Blood - 5
Traffic - 5
United 93 - 5
W. - 5
Waking Life - 5
War of the Worlds - 5
The White Ribbon - 5
The Wrestler - 5
Y Tu Mama Tambien - 5
Yi Yi - 5

Amores Perros - 4
Brokeback Mountain - 4
Broken Flowers - 4
Children Of Men - 4
Doubt - 4
Downfall - 4
The Fountain - 4
The Ghost Writer - 4
Gran Torino - 4
The Hurt Locker - 4
Igby Goes Down - 4
Inglourious Basterds - 4
Juno - 4
Letters From Iwo Jima - 4
No Country For Old Men - 4
Precious: Based On The Novel Push By Sapphire - 4
The Prestige - 4
The Squid & The Whale - 4
The Social Network - 4
You Can Count On Me - 4
Zodiac - 4

(500) Days Of Summer - 3
Amelie - 3
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead - 3
City Of God -3
Exit Through The Gift Shop - 3
George Washington - 3
Grizzly Man - 3
In The Mood For Love - 3
Little Miss Sunshine - 3
The New World - 3
The Queen - 3
Rabbit Hole - 3
The Savages - 3
Sin City - 3

The Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call: New Orleans - 2
Casino Royale - 2
Gladiator - 2
Inception - 2
Minority Report - 2

Avatar - 1
The Dark Knight - 1
District 9 - 1
House of Flying Daggers - 1
Iron Man - 1
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - 1
Thank You For Smoking - 1
Up in the Air - 1
Watchmen - 1

Last edited by zubidoo; 06-21-11 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 11:13 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,260
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Can't find that LIKE button anywhere.
Old 06-04-11, 12:09 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,498
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

How many times have you watched The Love Guru?
Old 06-04-11, 12:36 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Okay guys, the greatest movies list is on this IMDB page: Mod Note: Post your list here otherwise it will not be discussed. The films listed on THIS thread are the ones that DIDN'T make it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-06-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-04-11, 12:48 PM
  #5  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I'm confused...why are you showing us this list? What is the purpose of this thread? to Elevate your IMDB profile?
Old 06-04-11, 01:02 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,084
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I stopped after Battle: LA.
Old 06-04-11, 03:40 PM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

well do what I did...read the post again. It's a post that has a list of movies that don't belong on his 2000 onward great movie list...it's a fucked up list.
Old 06-04-11, 09:09 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Yes, his list is actually on imdb and somewhat decent. The stuff he listed here are movies that was suggested to him and he has yet to get around. I thought the same as you but did a double take when I saw Epic movie and went back and read his whole post.

That being said I don't understand why this thread was created other than to simply ask us to boost his imdb status, if he read he asks you to like his list over at imdb.com
Old 06-04-11, 09:44 PM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I'll keep my opinions of these "movies" to myself.
Old 06-04-11, 09:44 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

The new millennium started in 2001.
Old 06-04-11, 10:17 PM
  #11  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

This guy lost my respect the moment he wanted me to go to IMDB. Fuck that shit.
Old 06-05-11, 12:53 AM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

The purpose of this thread is to hopefully educate people about great movies. I'm sick and tired of people A. not ever watching good movies, B. not knowing what makes a good movie a good movie, C. saying a movie is good without specifying HOW good and D. recommending movies that are okay or decent but really just don't have that cinematic punch like the established "classics" do. I'm 100% confident in my ability to identify great movies even if people are not currently ready to see that they are indeed great. After all, A Space Odyssey was blasted upon release like many other now-established classics, so don't simply dismiss a film on my list based solely on your memory of watching it however many years ago. I felt compelled to make this list because I have not seen one single best of the 2000s list that did not include at least one decent, okay or even bad movie. My aim is to be the definitive list for true film lovers, and I have no qualms about how snobby or elitist that makes me sound because I'm a very analytical person who's seen enough films in my lifetime to justify my ability to be able to make a definitive list like this. I'm a film snob and I admit it. How do you think AFI created their classics list? People like me. You may not enjoy my choices and that's your right - everyone can like whatever movie they want, I don't care, but if you don't think they deserve the rating I gave them then you really don't know what you're talking about.

I'm completely devoted to this mission and to give you an idea of how serious I am this is my theater setup: ISF Calibrated Pioneer KURO Elite Pro-151fd, Logitech z-5500 5.1 speakers, PS3

Cheers.

P.S. What makes my list only "somewhat decent" takingchase? What exactly is it lacking given A. my critiquing parameters and B. the fact that I've only seen so many movies?

Last edited by zubidoo; 06-05-11 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 12:58 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,617
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Well why didn't you say so?!
Old 06-05-11, 01:01 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by zubidoo View Post
The purpose of this thread is to hopefully educate people about great movies. I'm sick and tired of people A. not ever watching good movies, B. not knowing what makes a good movie a good movie, C. saying a movie is good without specifying HOW good, D. recommending movies that are okay or decent but really just don't have that cinematic punch like the established "classics" do. I'm 100% confident in my ability to discern great movies even if people are not currently ready to see that they are indeed great. After all, A Space Odyssey was blasted upon release like many other now-established classics, so don't simply dismiss a film on my list based solely on your experience watching it however many years ago. I felt compelled to make this list because I have not seen one single best of the 2000s list that did not include at least one decent, okay or even bad movie. My aim is to be the definitive list for true film lovers, and I have no qualms about how snobby or elitist that makes me sound because I'm a very analytical person who's seen enough films in my lifetime to justify my ability to be able to make a definitive list like this. How do you think think AFI created their classics list? People like me. You may not enjoy my choices and that's you're right, but if you don't think they deserve the rating I gave them then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Cheers.
If this was your intention than you would have posted your list here instead of pimping out your imdb list and asking for people to like it.

And with all do respect you clearly haven't seen enough films in your lifetime since you are missing plenty of the new millennium's greatest achievements. You're word is not the word of god and neither is any critics for that matter.

You don't come across as elitist, just as a douche who wants all us internet folk to give him internet praise. Grow up dude, you're not gods gift to cinema critique.

Why don't you try joining in on some real discussions about films like the rest of the cinema lovers here instead of pouting on about what you say is golden and fuck the rest.
Old 06-05-11, 03:00 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 562
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I've been hanging around these boards since the late 90's and this is easily the most self-indulgent and insulting threads I've ever seen. You sound like the majority of first year film school students before they learn how the world works: conceited and thinks he knows what's what while everyone else is fumbling around. You think anyone's opinion is infallible? You think even the AFI gets it right 100% of the time? There's no scientific method to deciding what is a good movie and what is not, unless you really do love yourself that much. Just barely looking at your list I already an issue within your top five with Chicago being one of the absolute best of the decade. It's like a play it safe list of every movie that received a majority of critical acclaim. And if you'd like a critique of the writing you use in your own critical analysis (which I'm assuming you do the way you're thrusting it at us as gospel), it sounds exactly like someone raised on the voiceless and perfunctory local newspaper writing I've learned to ignore. Spend time on various blogs and independent film sites and you'll see examples on how to write something with character and make it entertaining, if you can.
Old 06-05-11, 07:19 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
E. Honda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: A sweaty sauna somewhere in Japan
Posts: 1,727
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Date Movie, Epic Movie, The Love Guru, and Vampires Suck are among the worst films ever made. The assclowns that wrote, produced and directed them are the fucktards that ever disgraced Hollywood. Anyone who supports them, or even thinks any of their films are of any quality whatsover, should be dragged out into the street and run over by a steamroller. The mere fact that those films were ever greenlit is inexcusable.
Old 06-05-11, 07:46 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
arminius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Here I Is!
Posts: 6,967
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I think all his movie are not belong to us.
Old 06-05-11, 08:07 AM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by dcrw6 View Post
I've been hanging around these boards since the late 90's and this is easily the most self-indulgent and insulting threads I've ever seen. You sound like the majority of first year film school students before they learn how the world works: conceited and thinks he knows what's what while everyone else is fumbling around. You think anyone's opinion is infallible? You think even the AFI gets it right 100% of the time? There's no scientific method to deciding what is a good movie and what is not, unless you really do love yourself that much. Just barely looking at your list I already an issue within your top five with Chicago being one of the absolute best of the decade. It's like a play it safe list of every movie that received a majority of critical acclaim. And if you'd like a critique of the writing you use in your own critical analysis (which I'm assuming you do the way you're thrusting it at us as gospel), it sounds exactly like someone raised on the voiceless and perfunctory local newspaper writing I've learned to ignore. Spend time on various blogs and independent film sites and you'll see examples on how to write something with character and make it entertaining, if you can.
For what Chicago seeked to be it is a virtually flawless movie. Not every single movie needs to be like A Space Odyssey or Five Easy Pieces or Eraserhead or whatever. It only seeked to be a fun little musical comedy and in that regard it absolutely excels. The cinematography is amazing, the songs themselves are fun, catchy and memorable and the acting is dead-on for the kind of movie it is. The difference between a good critic and a bad one is the ability to judge a movie based on what KIND of movie it is. For example, War of the Worlds is nothing but a popcorn flick, but every single element about it was done to perfection (although the ending was a little too happy, but it was forgivable).

Yes, my writing is not the greatest in the world of film criticism, but I never claimed that I was good at it and it's something I can definitely improve on. My expertise lies in identifying great movies - the writing will come later.

The difference between me and the majority of the people in the world is that, yes, I DO think there's an objective way to critique movies (and also, for example, music and video games). It's all about knowing what to look for and how to judge. Like I said before, the single most important factor involved with judging a movie is taking into account what it was trying to achieve. You can't seriously watch a movie that wasn't trying to be anything but a silly teen comedy, for example, and immediately dismiss it in favor of artsy films. You must accept it for what it is and go from there. Once you have done that, you must then evaluate how well done/interesting the writing, the acting, the pacing and the cinematography is. The films with the least amount of faults tend to hit harder and have more of that "movie magic".

Also, I don't think AFI gets it 100% right, but they are pretty damn close. In the world of music there's a reason why most people would agree that The Beatles, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones made a lot of classic recordings, and it's not just chance or popularity. They created work that can objectively be appreciated as masterpieces, and just because someone doesn't have the ability to know why or see that yet doesn't mean it's not true. Like I said before, one can "like" anything he or she wants, but saying whether it's good or bad is an entirely different story. As a matter of fact, stating you thought a movie was good or not is indeed ADMITTING that there IS an objective way to measure movies. If there wasn't then one could only truly and honestly say whether he or she "liked" it or not. Liking something implies that you enjoyed it, whereas thinking a movie is good implies that you analyzed all of the elements of the film that I listed earlier and did not find all that much wrong with it, hence it's good. Criticism requires an open mind that can see past what YOU like and only focus on the art itself. I, for example, hate country music, but I would be an idiot to say that there is no good country music simply because I don't like it.

I'm confident in everyone's ability to objectively differentiate good movies from bad ones, and my goal is to help them by picking good movies out for people so they can watch them and get a taste for WHY I might have rated them the way I did. Yes, perhaps I rated a movie a 3.5 when maybe it deserved a 4, but my list is such that simply being on my list is praise enough and small details like that can and will be fixed in time. I don't put a movie on this list unless I'm absolutely sure that it deserves to be.

As for films on my list on THIS thread that didn't make it - I'm about 95% sure at this moment that none of these will be added later to my best of list. There are, however, a few movies that have been hard for me to narrow down for inclusion or not such as Children of Men, District 9, Munich and Master & Commander. Perhaps they will one day be added, but for the moment my claim is that everything on my best of list DESERVES to be there. Whatever is NOT on there only has the POTENTIAL to be added later (a very small potential).

"And with all do respect you clearly haven't seen enough films in your lifetime since you are missing plenty of the new millennium's greatest achievements."
-I have already stated that I HAVE seen lots more films since 2000 than is on either list, but I have not included them on either list because I watched them BEFORE I started this project. If I relied purely on memory and nostalgia for my ratings then my ratings would be pretty worthless. There are a lot of movies missing that I have already seen that will most likely be added once I have re-watched them and confirmed their status, but at the moment I cannot say how I would rate them with any objective confidence. There were several films that I actually did NOT like the first time around but ended up finding quite amazing once I saw them again, and that's the beauty of this project. Seeing them again with this new and critical eye let me see past any subjective preferences and therefore accurately critique them. Examples of these would include: War of the Worlds, A.I., Napoleon Dynamite, Paranormal Activity and Chicago.

Cheers.

Last edited by zubidoo; 06-06-11 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 08:25 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,908
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by zubidoo View Post
For what Chicago seeked to be it is a virtually flawless movie. Not every single movie needs to be like Space Odyssey or Five Easy Pieces or Eraserhead or whatever. It only seeked to be a fun little musical comedy and in that regard it absolutely excels. The cinematography is amazing, the songs themselves are fun, catchy and memorable and the acting is dead-on for the kind of movie it is. The difference between a good critic and a bad one is the ability to judge a movie based on what KIND of movie it is. For example, War of the Worlds is nothing but a popcorn flick, but every single element about it was done to perfection (although the ending was a little too happy, but it was forgivable).

Yes, my writing is not the greatest in the world of film criticism, but I never claimed that I was good at it and it's something I can definitely improve on. My expertise lies in identifying great movies - the writing will come later.

The difference between me and the majority of the people in the world is that, yes, I DO think there's an objective way to critique movies (and also, for example, music and video games). It's all about knowing what to look for and how to judge. Like I said before, the single most important factor involved with judging a movie is taking into account what it was trying to achieve. You can't seriously watch a movie that wasn't trying to be anything but a silly teen comedy, for example, and immediately dismiss it in favor of artsy films. You must accept it for what it is and go from there. Once you have done that, you must then evaluate how well done/interesting the writing, the acting, the pacing and the cinematography is. The films with the least amount of faults tend to hit harder and have more of that "movie magic".

Also, I don't think AFI gets it 100% right, but they are pretty damn close. In the world of music there's a reason why most people would agree that The Beatles, Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones made a lot of classic recordings, and it's not just chance or popularity. They created work that can objectively be appreciated as masterpieces, and just because someone doesn't have the ability to know why or see that yet doesn't mean it's not true. Like I said before, one can "like" anything he or she wants, but saying whether it's good or bad is an entirely different story. As a matter of fact, stating you thought a movie was good or not is indeed ADMITTING that there IS an objective way to measure movies. If there wasn't then one could only truly and honestly say whether he or she "liked" it or not. Liking something implies that you enjoyed it, whereas thinking a movie is good implies you analyzed all of the elements of the film that I listed earlier and did not find all that much wrong with it, hence it's good. Criticism requires an open mind that can see past what YOU like and only focus on the art itself. I, for example, hate country music, but I would be an idiot to say that there is no good country music simply because I don't like it.

I'm confident in everyone's ability to objectively differentiate good movies from bad ones, and my goal is to help them by picking good movies out for people so they can watch them and get a taste for WHY I might have rated them the way I did. Yes, perhaps I rated a movie a 3.5 when maybe it deserved a 4, but my list is such that simply being on my list is praise enough and small details like that can and will be fixed in time. I don't put a movie on this list unless I'm absolutely sure that it deserves to be.

As for films on my list on THIS thread that didn't make it - I'm about 95% sure at this moment that none of these will be added later to my best of list. There are, however, a few movies that have been hard for me to narrow down for inclusion or not, and these are: Children of Men, District 9, Munich and Master & Commander. Perhaps they will one day be added, but for the moment my claim is that everything on my best of list DESERVES to be there. Whatever is NOT on there only has the POTENTIAL to be added later (a very small potential).

Cheers.
What do we have to do to get this guy and Spottedfeather in a room together for a discussion of THE GODFATHER?

As Frank Sinatra once said, "Zubi, Zubi Doo..."
Old 06-05-11, 10:11 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by zubidoo View Post
For what Chicago seeked to be it is a virtually flawless movie. Not every single movie needs to be like Space Odyssey or Five Easy Pieces or Eraserhead or whatever. It only seeked to be a fun little musical comedy and in that regard it absolutely excels. The cinematography is amazing, the songs themselves are fun, catchy and memorable and the acting is dead-on for the kind of movie it is. The difference between a good critic and a bad one is the ability to judge a movie based on what KIND of movie it is. For example, War of the Worlds is nothing but a popcorn flick, but every single element about it was done to perfection (although the ending was a little too happy, but it was forgivable).
I sat down today and took the biggest, most elegant turd there ever was. Now I aimed it to be a glorious turd and boy did it succeed. Perfectly shaped and sized, miraculously plunked down with minimal splash. It is by all means what I set out for it to be, a by the books turd with no complications. My guess though, no one cares because in the end it's still a turd.

The point is, and I'm not saying Chicago is a turd of a movie, is that simply setting out to be a musical comedy and succeeding does not make you worthy of "Best movies of the decade." Setting out to be something and then achieving it doesn't garner greatest movie of the new millennium title. Don't mistake this as me agreeing with your points on Chicago either, because I disagree with those also.

Last edited by takingchase; 06-05-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-05-11, 10:13 AM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by zubidoo View Post
The difference between me and the majority of the people in the world is that, yes, I DO think there's an objective way to critique movies.
Out of curiosity, why do you think most people in the world disagree with you on that point?
Old 06-05-11, 10:56 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,617
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Old 06-05-11, 11:03 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 835
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

I'd like to write this guy off as just a troll looking to get a rise out of us but if you look at his previous thread posted here and his responses he is dead serious.

This guy is the reason I switched out of film as my major. Once I realized what kind of self indulgent babies I was going to be dealing with I got the hell out of there.
Old 06-05-11, 11:12 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,296
Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

By the way, it's P.P.S. not P.S.S.
Old 06-05-11, 12:42 PM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Greatest Films of the New Millennium: 83 Films + Counting

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you think most people in the world disagree with you on that point?
Because when someone is willing to claim (like me) that certain movies are good and others are bad (under certain parameters) and that's just how it is, a LOT of people attack me for that. It's something that inherently ticks people off because it suggests that I don't think people are smart enough to "get it", but I'm not saying that at all. I think that if one is going to seriously critique a movie that they have to A. follow a certain set of parameters, B. have seen enough movies to be able to compare and contrast them all and C. have the right equipment (for example, watching a movie on an ipod is probably going to lessen your overall appreciation of it than if you saw it in the theater). The fact of the matter is there ARE bad movies; they can't all be good. The key is understanding HOW bad or HOW good a movie is, and that's what I'm trying to do.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.