Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
8.40%
24.37%
31.09%
25.21%
6.72%
0.84%
1.68%
0%
1.68%
0%
0%
Ready for this? Let’s not find out.
0%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-11, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: X-Men: First Class (Vaughn, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

I actually thought...man, even the black people in this one get the shaft.

Spoiler:
Darwin dies, Angel goes to bad guys...anyone think she look weird standing next to all of the other bad guys?
Old 06-05-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Wikipedia entry on the "Darwin" character says he appears in an after-credit scene? But was there actually an after credits scene or is this just bs.?
Old 06-05-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I didn't stay, so I don't know if there was one, but I hadn't heard anything around the net that there was.
Old 06-05-11, 08:38 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

There wasn't any after-credit scene. Not sure if I was more disappointed that there was none after First Class or there was a lame one after Thor (my kids and I were really looking forward to a Captain America teaser after Thor).
Old 06-05-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Was the opening scene a direct lift from the first X-Men movie?
I saw a featurette on the movie and it was COMPLETELY reshot but done shot for shot from the first film. Even Bryan Singer was fooled when he came to the set. He thought some of that footage was from the first film as well.
Old 06-05-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I was really enjoying a movie about Magneto killing Nazis, and then all this X-men bullshit started happening...

I do have to say that
Spoiler:
Wolverine's 2-second cameo
was much more enjoyable than the entirety of
Spoiler:
Wolverine's own movie.
Old 06-05-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I do have to say that
Spoiler:
Wolverine's 2-second cameo
was much more enjoyable than the entirety of
Spoiler:
Wolverine's own movie.
X1000!
Spoiler:

I was entirely prepared for a cameo of some sort, but completely unprepared for them to have more balls with it then his own movie did in its entirety.

Originally Posted by teameck
Not sure if I was more disappointed that there was none after First Class or there was a lame one after Thor (my kids and I were really looking forward to a Captain America teaser after Thor).
Technically that was a Captain America teaser wasn't it?

Spoiler:
Cosmic Cube yo!
Old 06-05-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by teameck
There wasn't any after-credit scene. Not sure if I was more disappointed that there was none after First Class or there was a lame one after Thor (my kids and I were really looking forward to a Captain America teaser after Thor).
Aside from the whole Marvel Studios issue, the X-Men aren't connected to the Avengers movie which is what those after-credit scenes are doing.

And that WAS a Captain America teaser.
Old 06-05-11, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
As I said earlier, this one pretty much invalidates X3 and the Wolverine movies. I think the
Spoiler:
Wolverine cameo
was meant to kind of give the others a nod, but say they are going in their own direction.

If they make a sequel, I hope they go with Apocalypse or The Sentinels.
I don't see how it invalidates the previous ones. This takes place, after all, 30 plus years before the other films.

I expect The Sentinels especially since they had a cameo (sort of and poorly at that) in X3.

Last edited by wayneaklein; 06-05-11 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 10:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Emma Frost is in the Wolverine movie, years later but somehow younger.

Sebastian Shaw and pre-Beast Hank McCoy are in X2.
Old 06-05-11, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The effects for Emma Frost were 100x better in WOLVERINE.
Old 06-05-11, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to be drooling over Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique after having seen Rebecca Romijn play the same character. IMO, Rebecca was far sexier as Mystique and better overall as Mystique. Lawrence did alright playing her as the pre-evil version of the character though.

No one else has mentioned...
Spoiler:
William Stryker's father in the movie talking about his son.

One question about the beginning...
Spoiler:
So Raven shows up in young Charles' house...what happened then? Did she live there with him while growing up? Where were Charles' parents?

Besides the previously mentioned cameos, there were a lot of good small appearances from some good character actors including
Spoiler:
James Remar, Ray Wise, Michael Ironside, Glenn Morshower and Oliver Platt.

Can someone who knows the comics tell me if Mystique and Azazal are the parents of Nightcrawler? I think he is supposed to be her son and I'm guessing he would be the father.

So Kevin Bacon played Darth Vader in Return of the Jedi?
Old 06-05-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
Can someone who knows the comics tell me if Mystique and Azazal are the parents of Nightcrawler? I think he is supposed to be her son and I'm guessing he would be the father.
Yep. In arguably one of the most reviled storylines in the history of the X-Men.
Old 06-06-11, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Besides the previously mentioned cameos, there were a lot of good small appearances from some good character actors including James Remar, Ray Wise, Michael Ironside, Glenn Morshower and Oliver Platt.
I laughed pretty hard when Ray Wise showed up, since I've been making my way through TWIN PEAKS again and was waiting for him to stand up and dance.

Ironside was a great choice for a generally thankless part, while Platt's character felt wasteful.
Old 06-06-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Emma Frost is in the Wolverine movie, years later but somehow younger.

Sebastian Shaw and pre-Beast Hank McCoy are in X2.
I do like how this movie pretty much gives a middle finger to a lot of continuity - fuck the fan-boys and their obsessive slavery to continuity bullshit! If the choice is between interesting characters/story or continuity, and you choose continuity, you're part of the problem.
Old 06-06-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Wikipedia entry on the "Darwin" character says he appears in an after-credit scene? But was there actually an after credits scene or is this just bs.?
I stayed, no after credit scene.
Old 06-06-11, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I do like how this movie pretty much gives a middle finger to a lot of continuity - fuck the fan-boys and their obsessive slavery to continuity bullshit! If the choice is between interesting characters/story or continuity, and you choose continuity, you're part of the problem.
I wouldn't consider Emma's character in First Class interesting at all though.
Old 06-06-11, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah...but unfortunately Riptide and Darwin weren't all that interesting and Angel and Azazel just moderately so.

I quit reading X-Men around issue 285 so I was thinking who the f--- are these characters. Did they create their own for the movie. Seems a lot of stupid shit happened in X-Men after I quit reading.

The use of characters who aren't the original X-Men bugs me a little but what you gonna do?
Old 06-06-11, 03:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
One little thing. Was it just me or was it odd when Shaw mentioned the line "living in slavery/chains" the camera focused in a close up on Darwin, the only black mutant in the scene?
I thought this was done to show that Shaw was highlighting the parallels between black slavery and the kind of slavery they could expect if they didn't strike back at the humans.

Meanwhile, I thought this film was absolutely fantastic. Best X-film to date, and outside of a select few X-Men storylines, better than most of the comics. My biggest complaint was January Jones, who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag. At least they put her in as many skimpy clothes as possible.

This movie was so good I'm very happy to say "go fuck yourself" to the continuity police and just enjoy it. Matthew Vaughn continues to surprise me. I fully expected this to be crap, but he came through.
Old 06-06-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zubidoo
"Are you really going to make that assertion without an example, you know, seeing as how you "studied" it?"

1. There was nothing particularly new or interesting about the plot or its themes. It was a cookie-cutter story that reeked of "hey how can we tie all of these historical events in with X-Men?!". Sure, it was fun to see how they tied the Cuban Missile Crisis in with the X-Men and the cameos were cute, but they just never took it to that next level of greatness. It tried to excite the audience with cheap shot moments such as "hey, that's beast! I remember him! Look how normal he looks!" and "so that's how Magneto got his helmet and that's how Professor X got crippled!". It was all so obviously forced that it was almost cringeworthy and if one were to remove the other X-Men films from history First Class would not stand on its own merits AT ALL.

2. The acting was subpar for most of the cast, although Kevin Bacon and Michael Fassbender were decent. James McAvoy was completely uncompelling as Professor X and the rest did not make an effort to wow the audience. I never got lost in any of the characters such that I really thought that it was Darwin or Raven or Beast or whomever.

3. The writing was never more than adequate. Character development, when it happened at all, was mostly forced and unsatisfying. Magneto's story of revenge made sense in the simplest way, and his desire to rule the world and get rid of humanity instead of reasoning with them seems odd for somebody who was in a concentration camp.

4. The pacing of the movie was okay - it was certainly watchable but nothing truly spectacular ever happened. There were absolutely no standout moments in the movie that I will remember even a month from now.

5. The soundtrack was laughably uninteresting and clearly had no heart and soul behind it. You could probably swap it with the soundtrack behind almost every other mainstream action or superhero movie of the last few years and it would sound 90% the same. They swelled the music up at all the predictable times to force emotion instead of letting emotion come naturally from the writing and the acting itself.

In the end, it was bad, but it was watchably bad which is what most of the mainstream American moviegoing audience seems to like, apparently. So long as the pacing is okay it seems like mainstream directors can get away with mediocre or bad scripts, acting, cinematography, etc, and that's unfortunate.

Out of curiousity what rating out of 5 would those of you who liked it or thought it was good give it?

RE: anomynous: "Elitist much?"
-Yes I am, but I'm an elitist who not only can back up his claims but also has a good reason for being that way. I don't mind if anybody liked this movie or any other movie I think is bad, but to say that it was good is a slap in the face to all of the far superior films out there.

Wow, there is just no pleasing some people. Did you even watch the same movie I saw? First Class delivered everything that you would expect from a good X-men movie. You must have hated the other Singer X-men flicks then as they had the same level of pacing and story telling. This is a superhero movie, not Shakespeare. I went in wanting to see killer action, great effects, and interesting mutant powers. I got that along with Kevin Bacon as a superb villian. He made Magneto look like a pansey for most of the film.

And yet, you are annoyed that an origin film actually shows the origins? I was quite satisfied with the way the film pieces snap together with the first X-men flick. The only bit that I felt was forced was the part where they show off their powers and come up with goofy names.

Best superhero movie I've seen in years.
Old 06-06-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsl76

I quit reading X-Men around issue 285 so I was thinking who the f--- are these characters. ?
I quit during the Morrison (so I hated the inclusion of Angel) and the horrible Austen run so Azezal and Darwin were lost on me but it had enough recognizable characters that I still had an X-Men vibe to me. Sure I would have liked to have seen Jean since I felt they made her far too old in the original trilogy but at least we got Beast and a Summers.
Old 06-06-11, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the choice is between interesting characters/story or continuity, and you choose continuity, you're part of the problem.
And it's a crazy notion for someone to ask for both? Who those other X-Men were in the First Class wouldn't have changed anything about the strongest performances/story aspect of the movie, which was Xavier and Magneto. So why not make them the actual first X-Men? Or does giving the middle finger to those concerned with continuity only apply to people looking at it from the comic aspect and not those looking at it in terms of the other films?
Old 06-06-11, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed it, but I do not know enough about X-Men to be disappointed with some of the choices (continuity errors) that were made. Vaughn is 4 for 4 in my book as he makes really watchable movies.

I have an extra $12 Hollywood Movie cash for $4 paypal if anyone wants it, pm me.
Old 06-06-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I don't look at continuity changes as an "error". It's not like there is one definitive X-Men story out there.

As we've been going to these comic book movies, my wife has been asking me about some of the older stories. I haven't read comics in years but I kept up for a while, and read the Marvel Universe books with descriptions of all the characters so I have a passing familiarity with many of the storylines. I'll try to explain something to her, and then think...oh crap, that's not right, they changed that, etc. These books have been around for decades and they've mucked up the origins, powers, relationships, and uniforms so much that...honestly, if they have the characters names right I feel they've succeeded.

There are literally thousands of stories out there using these characters. I just can't get hung up on movie makers doing what comic writers have done for years...changing things to suit their purposes.
Old 06-06-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm just glad they didn't digitally replace Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.