Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
4.17%
4.17%
12.50%
20.83%
13.89%
12.50%
12.50%
2.78%
1.39%
1.39%
5.56%
What happens in this movie will stay in this movie.
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Cooper may have been phoning it in, but I don't think he thirsts necessarily for dramatic material. I will always remember first seeing him in Wet Hot American Summer, I guess I get the vibe that that's more his kind of comedy but since he's conventionally attractive, he doesn't get offered that kind of thing.
Old 05-30-11, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by avantgardner
i personally loved "my big fat greek wedding", so to each his own.
+1
Old 05-30-11, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, didn't find this one nearly as endearing or funny as the first one. It felt kind of odd and sad, actually. One thing I think they messed up was the guys (particularly Cooper) just seem way too okay with dealing with criminal overlords and shit. Part of what was so funny about the first one was how in over their heads they were, but in this one

Spoiler:
They don't even seem that nervous about meeting up with Giamatti to do the exchange for the kid.

Interestingly, Ebert actually got very offended about

Spoiler:
The photograph at the end that was staged to look like that famous Vietnam execution photo. He said it was an affront to humanity and inexcusable to mock it in that way.
Old 05-30-11, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

One thing that did bother me was the bad cg, like when Zach was smoking his pipe in the airport or when there was the gunshot wound.
Old 05-30-11, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Spoiler:
The photograph at the end that was staged to look like that famous Vietnam execution photo. He said it was an affront to humanity and inexcusable to mock it in that way.
That one was awesome, it was easily one of my favorites of the reel. I kept thinking that can't be, but it was.
Old 05-30-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Loved the original, but I have no intentions of seeing this sequel. Probably recycles much of the comedy from the first one, but different situations, and most likely has about 4-5 funny parts in the whole movie. So sick of sequels....
Old 05-30-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Loved the original, but I have no intentions of seeing this sequel. Probably recycles much of the comedy from the first one, but different situations, and most likely has about 4-5 funny parts in the whole movie. So sick of sequels....
^What you said

What I read "I don't understand movies"
Old 05-30-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Saw this today with a buddy of mine and we had a blast. Most of the theatre we were at laughed non-stop throughout the movie. Yeah it wasn't original at all and took the exact some concept of the 1st film, only setting it in Thailand, but we were entertained.

My friend and I laughed at how:

Spoiler:
Doug was brought back for the sequel and he was such an insignificant character in this movie as well.

The scene that was funny, yet gross was:

Spoiler:
The monkey and Allan discovering Mr. Chow's badly unkept crotch area revealing his 1 inch? Penis

I was disappointed with the:

Spoiler:
Mike Tyson cameo singing One Night in Bangkok. Yeah I know it was a cheesy callback to the 1st movie, but I thought it would have been alot funnier/cooler if they actually brought Murray Head to sing it instead.

The photos during the end credits were pretty good. This movie is going to make a shit load of money and I assume Warner Bros might be tempted to make another sequel. But, I don't know how you would. Although I was entertained, I don't know how you would continue the franchise.

I would probably give the movie a B- because of how over the top it was and the chemistry with Cooper, Helms and Galifinaikis.
Old 05-30-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes it was a remake of a 2 year old movie but yes I did really like it. I just love these characters and their reactions to the random stuff that goes on around them. White Doug was in it just enough as to not drain the laughs.
Old 05-30-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking forward to this since I enjoyed the first one, but I thought it failed to deliver in terms of laughs like the first one did.
I hope they make a 3rd movie just so they can try and redeem themselves. They should have Allen be the one getting married in the sequel, since he's easily the best thing the series has going for it IMO. Then we can look forward to flashbacks of a wild night at Chuckie Cheese and a Jonas Brothers concert.
Old 05-30-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Roger Ebert tweet: "The Hangover, Part One Again"
Old 05-30-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

We saw saw this today. I think my wife liked it and so did my nieces, but I thought it was pretty stupid (loved the first one though).

So much of this movie is given away in the trailers and online reports. It seemed like everything else was just a forced reference to the first movie, and seriously unfunny.

The pictures over the end credits were the highlight for me, particularly the one Ebert is apparently offended by.
Old 05-31-11, 04:29 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Saw this earlier today. I enjoyed it. I also don't have a tv so I haven't' been inundated with trailers and tv spots for the movie, so everything was new to me. Although I don't think that it was better than the first I did find it quite funny. As for the recycled plot lines, that was to be expected but I didn't let it bug me.
Old 06-01-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just got back from seeing this. I liked it a lot. Not as funny as the first, but there were still a lot of really funny moments.
Old 06-01-11, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

saw it last night with some friends and ended up laughing a lot (mostly at galifianakis). i wasn't a HUGE fan of the first but thought it was above average. i'd say this one is just about the same maybe slightly less entertaining because of it basically being a rehash.
Old 06-02-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3.5 stars

It was the first one, but in a different city. That's it entirely. Still, I was amused and laughed about the same (maybe less) than the first outing.
Old 06-04-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Saw this today. Not much laughs, and even though the same basic storyline, I do like the mystery of it. Overall, I enjoyed it. Jamie Chung looking great as usual too.
Old 06-04-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the first better, but the scenery in this was great and it had some laughs. Worth seeing, I wouldn't buy it though.
Old 06-05-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
This one felt completely different from #1 despite being the same storyline - the tone especially had changed. I liked it though, funny movie, seemed a little overlong but I had no major issues with it.

Still, the first was much better.
I agree 100% with this. I just got back from Hangover 2 and I'm catching up with the thread, but it lost a lot of the funny with the more serious tone. The first one was much more fun, just out of control nonsense and made me appreciate the original even more.

I thought it was a fun movie and might catch it on Blu-ray if I can find it cheap, but eh, I was hoping for it to be consistently funnier.
Old 06-05-11, 05:34 PM

Although it is more of a remake than a sequel, I still really enjoyed it. With the bad reviews I was expecting the worst, but found this one to be just slightly less funny than the first. I would definitely be down for one more; I really enjoy the chemistry between the three leads.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-05-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I have to be the lone voice of approval here. The first film is a formula, so I have no idea why everyone expected it to not be the the same formula again. What did you expect, exactly? A film noir? A buddy cop comedy?

I saw the first film in theaters at a midnight screening but didn't understand what the fuss was about. It was a great comedy, to be sure, but people were acting like it was The Second Coming. I think this sets up too-high expectations for the sequel.

Some of the complaints here (darker in tone, etc.) are my praise. I never got the sense in the first movie that anyone was in real danger. In this rehash, the danger adds to the suspense, and I'm glad they changed course ever so slightly.

I'd see this movie again before seeing the first.
Old 06-06-11, 09:36 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I was looking forward to this since I enjoyed the first one, but I thought it failed to deliver in terms of laughs like the first one did.
I hope they make a 3rd movie just so they can try and redeem themselves. They should have Allen be the one getting married in the sequel, since he's easily the best thing the series has going for it IMO.
I completely agree with all of this. I was entertained by Part II but it just wasn't very funny at all.

Galifinakis (sp?) was easily the funniest person in the film.
Old 06-09-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks like Warner Bros. is going to digitally erase Ed Helms' tattoo for the home video release because of copyright claims. I haven't see the movie yet, will it be that simple? Is there dialogue about it in scenes that will also have to be cut/dubbed/edited?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/0...o-lawsuit-dvd/
Old 06-09-11, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Looks like Warner Bros. is going to digitally erase Ed Helms' tattoo for the home video release because of copyright claims. I haven't see the movie yet, will it be that simple? Is there dialogue about it in scenes that will also have to be cut/dubbed/edited?

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/0...o-lawsuit-dvd/
From the article, they would just alter it to be different, not erase it entirely. The only joke it would ruin in that case is at the very end, as far as i remember.
Old 06-09-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Unless they digitally alter Mike Tyson's tattoo to be the same.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.