Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread
4.17%
4.17%
12.50%
20.83%
13.89%
12.50%
12.50%
2.78%
1.39%
1.39%
5.56%
What happens in this movie will stay in this movie.
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Hangover: Part II (Phillips, 2011) — The Reviews Thread

Personally, I think if you want to complain about the movie without seeing it, do it in the other general thread. Since this thread is specifically about reviews, if you don't intend to watch the movie then there's no point carrying on and on about it here.
Old 05-27-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
So, what was the point of the
Spoiler:
helicopter during the sting operation?
I wasn't looking for an answer, but no one else found this odd?
Old 05-27-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Personally, I think if you want to complain about the movie without seeing it, do it in the other general thread. Since this thread is specifically about reviews, if you don't intend to watch the movie then there's no point carrying on and on about it here.
Oh joy, you again. I'm not "complaining", I was trying to have some fun. You know, joking. And we know how that went in another thread. I never said I'd never see this movie. I'm just not going to the theater. But I will take all future dialogue about this film to the other general thread to avoid offending anyone else.
Old 05-27-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Oh joy, you again.
Old 05-27-11, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Where are the reviews?
Old 05-27-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dino88
I wasn't looking for an answer, but no one else found this odd?
When your film costs $80 million to make, might as well flaunt some of that money on screen with a big ass helicopter appearing out of nowhere.

And yes, $80 million. Well $65 million once you subtract the $15 million it cost to pay for the Wolfpack.
Old 05-27-11, 11:20 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
When your film costs $80 million to make, might as well flaunt some of that money on screen with a big ass helicopter appearing out of nowhere.
lol

I gave it a 4. Somehow the allure of a new location still doesnt hide a subduing of crazyness from the 1st one.
Old 05-28-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it for what it was.

I pretty much thought that it would be the same general story as the first one just with different jokes, and that is exactly what I got.

For me, from the time they went to meet with Paul Giamotti the second time at the restaurant until looking at the pictures was too slow. I thought that going into it they would have a hard time topping the first one with crazy things to do, and to a large extent they did. I will probably check it out again as a rental.
Old 05-28-11, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got some laughs from this followup of "The Hangover", though the scope of this film is a little smaller in spite of its Thailand backdrop (Vegas felt like another character in the first film), and the new characters were drawn quite broadly, my crowd ate up all the low-brow humor, and I was nyuk-nyuking along with them. The script is a little underwhelming in term of plot. So, sure, if you're expecting crude humor, along with an inspired peek into the mind of man-child Alan (Zach Galifianakis), you're going to get it, it'll be a good time for you, but just don't expect a lot of rewatchability from it.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 05-28-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Thought it was decent but not near the original. I don't know why anyone thought it was going to be much different when one of the first lines is " WE DID IT AGAIN". Alan steals it for me again. I dunno why but I laughed hard when
Spoiler:
he threw the anchor out on the boat, that was on land.
and
Spoiler:
the ladyboy scene was expected(in the sense of a tranny in Bangkok, but i didn't expect Stu to get fucked by him/her.
That to me was a twist on anything.
Old 05-28-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I hated the structure of the first one (seeing everything in retrospect/backtracking to piece things together) so obviously they repeat it here. That said, the Alan character is perfect once again. He is The Hangover to me. Take him out of the equation and there's not much there.
Old 05-28-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

And yes, $80 million. Well $65 million once you subtract the $15 million it cost to pay for the Wolfpack.
Yeah, don't forget Todd Phillips...he's the one making hte most money. $15M fee for writing, directing, and producing. That's $30M for the four key principle players.

I'm willing to bet all of them, particularly Phillips, will be getting mucho money on the backend too.
Old 05-28-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. Not as bad as I was lead to believe, but not as good as the first. If this movie weren't almost a step by step retread of the first one I think reviews would be a bit kinder. Hell, most of the reason I didn't enjoy this one is because I had seen the first and knew it was just a retread. This one definitely had some funny moments, but most of them were not inspired. I have to give credit to whomever Phillips got as his cinematographer, they did a great job, almost making the movie worth seeing on the big screen. The production values this time around were top notch, and it showed. However, when making a comedy, the top priority should be getting laughs, of which it only managed a few from me.
Old 05-29-11, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ending to this movie was ridiculous.

Honestly...
Spoiler:
Stu shows up to his wedding after being missing for two days, and he's got a HUGE TATTOO on his face, and his future wife just stands there smiling? Same with Bradley Cooper's character...just standing there with his arm around his happy, smiling wife. The kid's finger is missing (cello player, future surgeon), and there's barely a shrug about it when they get on land.

Alan was funny, but that was about it. And the scene in which Alan
Spoiler:
has a flashback was fucking awesome.

2.5/5.
Old 05-29-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
some decent laughs
too much cock
Old 05-29-11, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
The ending to this movie was ridiculous.

Honestly...
Spoiler:
Stu shows up to his wedding after being missing for two days, and he's got a HUGE TATTOO on his face, and his future wife just stands there smiling? Same with Bradley Cooper's character...just standing there with his arm around his happy, smiling wife. The kid's finger is missing (cello player, future surgeon), and there's barely a shrug about it when they get on land.

Alan was funny, but that was about it. And the scene in which Alan
Spoiler:
has a flashback was fucking awesome.

2.5/5.
Spoiler:
Well that was his bow hand so it shouldn't affect the cello too much, also since it was his ring finger he should still be able to be a surgeon and even play video games. When you really think about it the only thing he will be out is wearing his college ring

I liked it, yeah very similar to the first but still fun, like an SNL skit.
Old 05-29-11, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

2.5 out of 5 for me too. Yes, it follows the same formula as the first movie, but that part alone didn't bother me as I figured that would be the case as soon as the sequel was announced. I would have been perfectly fine with that if the movie was just flat out funny throughout the way the first one was, but it just wasn't. The antics and shock value was amped up, but that alone doesn't make the movie funnier and I think the execution of it all just fell really flat. Something about the set up and the lines just didn't work together very well the way the first movie did.

It's a decent enough R rated comedy to catch once, but not anywhere close to as good as the first and a disappointment in the raunchy comedy department.
Old 05-29-11, 10:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

it was okay, but this does nothing to add to the credibility of Bradley C's acting ability, his multiple utterence of 'what the fuck' sounded so corny and forced, I just rolled my eyes into my head. There were funny parts, but nothing as outrageouse as the first film. Is there really a beer called 'P. P. Beer'??
Old 05-29-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
it was okay, but this does nothing to add to the credibility of Bradley C's acting ability, his multiple utterence of 'what the fuck' sounded so corny and forced, I just rolled my eyes into my head.

I think it was obvious Cooper was just phoning it in on this one and collecting his easy paycheck. I think he wants to become more associated with action/dramatic type roles so he was just doing the bare minimum.
Old 05-29-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Thank you. We are off the hook for being the worst big major movie of the year."
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Old 05-29-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With regards to what happens to Teddy, and I'm sure I'm reading too much into it all, but didn't he say when he woke up he felt happy? With that and his overachieving at his Father's insistence, I inferred that he was given a plausible way to get out of med school and the cello and be a normal 16 y.o.

Best line for me: "Yes, he's full of semen."
Old 05-29-11, 06:59 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll watch it just because I was in Thailand when they were filming the movie (although I didn't see any signs of the shoot).
Old 05-29-11, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think it was obvious Cooper was just phoning it in on this one and collecting his easy paycheck. I think he wants to become more associated with action/dramatic type roles so he was just doing the bare minimum.
Something tells me he won't be back for HO3.
Old 05-29-11, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just saw yesterday afternoon and I like it & enjoy it. so I like first one better
Old 05-30-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This one felt completely different from #1 despite being the same storyline - the tone especially had changed. I liked it though, funny movie, seemed a little overlong but I had no major issues with it.

Still, the first was much better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.