Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-11, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

*has been noted*
Old 09-25-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

I think Drive is a lot like a Cronenberg flick. How it builds slowly and cooly until bursts of ultraviolence.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Start with their brilliant soundtrack for William Friedkin's Sorcerer. If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. This is one of the most underrated 70's action suspense films.
I so agree, that film is incredible... if Nolan made that exact movie today it would probably make $200 million, for sure a lost classic.
Old 09-25-11, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
alright, you bastards. I've heard of Tangerine Dream. It's been brought up a lot lately now in this thread. Now..via some research I see they did the theatrical music for Legend (I've never seen it though I do want to at some point) Where do I start in my research of Tangerine Dream? Cuz I want to know finally wtf you fools are babbling on about.
I really love the five tracks they did for the Risky Business soundtrack. Also check out their score for Thief. The early 80s is my favorite period of theirs.
Old 09-25-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Start with their brilliant soundtrack for William Friedkin's Sorcerer. If you haven't seen the movie, do yourself a favor and watch it. This is one of the most underrated 70's action suspense films. Tangerine Dream's work on this film is breathtaking. You really can't go wrong with any of their work from the 70's. They've done quality work for 40+ years now, but that's where you start.

http://www.amazon.com/Sorcerer-1977-...6998579&sr=8-1
noticed that the only dvd availible is full screen. Any reason?
Old 09-25-11, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
noticed that the only dvd availible is full screen. Any reason?
Because Universal is cheap? I was hoping for a 30th anniversary edition back in 2007, but it never materialized. I still firmly believe Sorcerer to be Friedkin's best film.

As for Drive, saw it last weekend and loved it. Intend to see it again before it's out of theaters. Definitely one to experience on the big screen to get the full feel for it's atmosphere. The dreamy photography reminded me a lot of Mulholland Dr.
Old 09-25-11, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious...was this movie on the quiet side? The showing I went to seemed unusually quiet, but at some points the bass of the music started to rumble things a bit.
Old 09-25-11, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seemed fine to me. Tell me. Did you jump at the 1st gun shot too?
Old 09-25-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I didn't jump at the 1st gunshot, but I thought the movie was loud enough.

Reminded me of Mulholland Drive in terms of atmosphere and sound use. I dug the movie a lot, very moody, well paced and entertaining. Ending was a bit anticlimatic though.
Old 09-26-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by harpo787
I'm curious...was this movie on the quiet side? The showing I went to seemed unusually quiet, but at some points the bass of the music started to rumble things a bit.
It was quiet. There were some scenes without music nor dialogue only ambient sounds. It was annoying hearing other people talking in those scenes.
Old 09-26-11, 12:03 AM
Banned

Movie of the year, so far.
Old 09-26-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by harpo787
I saw it today and could barely hear the dialogue. The rest of the audio sounded normal. There were a few exchanges between Gosling and Mulligan where I needed subtitles.

In general, I thought the movie was pretty good, but it's not something I'd call best of 2011 and I doubt I'll revisit the film. The movie definitely leaves you with a cold feeling. I think part of that reason for me is because I couldn't get attached to any of the characters, so I wasn't too affected by their outcome. I think Cranston's character is about the only one that you can pull for.

The opening was terrific, but after that, I wasn't really blown away with anything else.

also
Spoiler:
why wasn't Gosling better prepared before his meeting with Bernie? If I'm him, I'm going to that meeting expecting to get stabbed or shot.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 09-26-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

By the way, I think this week may be your last chance to see this movie theatrically. Will get scarce next week.
Old 09-26-11, 05:37 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
also
Spoiler:
why wasn't Gosling better prepared before his meeting with Bernie? If I'm him, I'm going to that meeting expecting to get stabbed or shot.
Spoiler:
That bothered me at first too, but then you have to remember, even though we saw Bernie stab a guy with a fork and knife him repeatedly and then later calmly kill Shannon, Driver didn't see those things happen or know that Bernie himself had been one to kill Shannon (he probably figured that Nino had done it, which is why he decided to take him out).

Whenever Bernie was around Driver in the earlier parts of the film, Bernie appeared to be a pretty level headed and genial guy. He did not seem at all like the type of psycho who would just go off and kill someone with his own hands (which is why his first killing is such a surprise and why Shannon is so stunned when Bernie slices his arm).

Driver probably figured that Bernie was going to send his hired goons after him and finish him off later, not that Bernie himself would suddenly attack him in a parking lot with a knife. And Driver wasn't totally unprepared as he was able to quickly defend himself and kill Bernie. But I'm sure Driver wasn't expecting to get attacked at that moment when he was just about to hand Bernie the money.
Old 09-26-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Movie of the year, so far.
Agreed.

The only notable film I missed and still need to see is Tree Of Life, but barring that, this is the best thing I've seen this year, followed by Midnight In Paris & Super 8.
Old 09-26-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

seen today and so far my favorite or 2nd favorite of the year. Terrific film.

Now I understand why Refn won Best Director at Cannes.
Old 09-26-11, 07:56 PM

Just for the record, I too jumped at that first gunshot.

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Spoiler:
That bothered me at first too, but then you have to remember, even though we saw Bernie stab a guy with a fork and knife him repeatedly and then later calmly kill Shannon, Driver didn't see those things happen or know that Bernie himself had been one to kill Shannon (he probably figured that Nino had done it, which is why he decided to take him out).

Whenever Bernie was around Driver in the earlier parts of the film, Bernie appeared to be a pretty level headed and genial guy. He did not seem at all like the type of psycho who would just go off and kill someone with his own hands (which is why his first killing is such a surprise and why Shannon is so stunned when Bernie slices his arm).

Driver probably figured that Bernie was going to send his hired goons after him and finish him off later, not that Bernie himself would suddenly attack him in a parking lot with a knife. And Driver wasn't totally unprepared as he was able to quickly defend himself and kill Bernie. But I'm sure Driver wasn't expecting to get attacked at that moment when he was just about to hand Bernie the money.
Spoiler:
I honestly thought that the Driver went expecting to die. Kind of like Travis showing up at Sport's at the end of Taxi Driver; he showed up to take care of business. I assumed that he knew it was coming sooner or later and he didn't really care as long as he was sure that Irene and Benicio were going to be ok. That's the impression that I got from the note that he left for Irene. "Going away for a while," that to me said it all. Whether he lived or died he was never seeing Irene again.
Old 09-26-11, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Just for the record, I too jumped at that first gunshot.

Spoiler:
I honestly thought that the Driver went expecting to die. Kind of like Travis showing up at Sport's at the end of Taxi Driver; he showed up to take care of business. I assumed that he knew it was coming sooner or later and he didn't really care as long as he was sure that Irene and Benicio were going to be ok. That's the impression that I got from the note that he left for Irene. "Going away for a while," that to me said it all. Whether he lived or died he was never seeing Irene again.
The first gunshot made me jump big time. It was really loud at the theater I was at.

I agree with your take on that scene btw. It was one of those things, where I feel the Driver just felt had to be done.
Old 09-26-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Am I the only one who laughed out loud when
Spoiler:
Driver literally stomps the guys face into silly puddy in the elevator?
Old 09-26-11, 09:47 PM

Did the soundtrack release get pushed back? Amazon now says Oct. 11, everywhere else still has it listed for tomorrow. Can anyone confirm if it is still being released tomorrow or in October?

And obviously I'm asking about the physical cd, I am aware the digital download has been available for some time.
Old 09-26-11, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I agree. He's going in with the full intention that he (and Brooks) will die. There's the scene where he suggests to Irene that they could take the money and run... in the metaphorical sense he offers for her to get into the backseat of his car with Benecio and for the rest of their lives he'd be their "driver" protecting them. I'm pretty sure he knows that her accepting that deal is a long shot and also he likely knows the safest thing for him to do is end it in the fashion that he does. It's a noir flick, there is never really a way out until death.
Old 09-27-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw this and I really enjoyed this movie. The soundtrack is really great. Definitely one of my favorite film of 2011.
I jumped at that first gunshot too. I rarely do that.
I can't wait to get this on Blu-ray.
Old 09-27-11, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

It reminded me of when Michael Mann was Michael Mann.

Loved it.
Old 09-27-11, 10:41 AM
FuQ

This is new school Michael Mann. I feel this movie is a tad overrated. I really liked it but not the best thing I've seen all year. I'm still evaluating that list.
Old 09-27-11, 11:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Really good film, it definitely carries its own feeling like very few films do. It probably has been mentioned before but it kinda reminds me of "Taxi Driver".
Old 09-27-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nando820
Really good film, it definitely carries its own feeling like very few films do. It probably has been mentioned before but it kinda reminds me of "Taxi Driver".
Definitely reminded me of Taxi Driver. I like how Albert Brooks was in both playing polar opposite characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.