Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Old 09-27-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Definitely reminded me of Taxi Driver. I like how Albert Brooks was in both playing polar opposite characters.
ohh shit! that's true. And the "girl" is this mysterious enigma that the protagonist for some reason adores even though she says very little through out the film.
Old 09-27-11, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

...hmph...I didn't even think about TD.
Old 09-29-11, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive - 8/10

Gosling was great and Refn was the right person to direct it. Brooks, Cranston, and Perlman are all solid. Really is no "weak" link. Mulligan was okay - her part, in my opinion, could've been played by any young actress (put in Portman, Wasikowska, Lawrence, Williams, an unkown even). Isaacs and Hendricks were solid as well. The production value was top notch and the soundtrack and camera angles all gave the film a retro '80s feel. Words weren't wasted on the script, so take that as you will.

Smaller budget and creativity goes a LONG way. Hollywood should pay attention for once and not focus on the glitz and glamor but instead focus on quality.
Old 09-30-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
I'd like to have this poster.

Also some clips...not much..but a bit of a taste.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWZ3WT8Ih7c?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWZ3WT8Ih7c?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ounj747kPxM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ounj747kPxM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>
I might give him the best director Oscar on the elevator scene alone. It is simply brilliant, a scene I will always remember. I thought that this was one of the best directed movies I have ever seen and also easily the best film I have see this year.
Old 09-30-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the Oscars are all over this one.
Old 09-30-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
I might give him the best director Oscar on the elevator scene alone. It is simply brilliant, a scene I will always remember. I thought that this was one of the best directed movies I have ever seen and also easily the best film I have see this year.
The elevator scene was the only scene in the film that I thought was terrible.
Old 10-01-11, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I hope the Oscars are all over this one.
Hope so too but i doubt. There seems to be push for Brooks for BSA but anything else isn't getting much love.
Old 10-01-11, 03:06 PM

I really liked it and it sticks with you for a while. I dug the slowness and the music for the most part but the things that bugged me really really bugged me. The pink credits totally put me off. Hated it in the 80's too BTW. With any stylized piece some things aren't going to work for everyone. I thought the score was amazing but some of the songs felt very intrusive. The love montage song, yuck, and the song that was played twice, "a real human being" or A Real Hero (or maybe that was the song for both of those scenes?), just sucked balls for me. It took me out of the scenes and just made me concentrate on how much I was hating the song. I'm sure some people will think it was perfect and their favorite song/scene ever in a movie but that's kind of my point. I respect what it was going for but..."hated it". A great movie and Ryan was dreamy.
Old 10-01-11, 04:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd like to have this poster.

Wow and that didn't remind you of Taxi Driver!?

Anyways I just remember what made the movie even more special to me. I was in a small Island in the Pacific Northwest and there was this plaza with a bakery and a handmade musical instrument store and in the middle just like another business a Movie Theater with just one room and it had posters of old films and stars (even Silent ones) and it was very cozy with red curtains and everything. It truly helped keep the retro feeling, and it felt like they care about the art in films (since there was no crap Transformers posters)
Old 10-10-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked this movie and thought a lot of it was extremely well done - but it has to be one of the slowest movies I've ever seen. Sometimes I was digging the deliberate slowness, other times I was getting pissed off by it. Excellent acting and I loved some of the shots, but overall as a movie, I was left wanting a bit more. 3/5

(also of note, I had 2 hours to kill yesterday between work and an event, so I saw this - I was the ONLY PERSON in the theatre)
Old 10-10-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

FilmDistrict Sued Over 'Misleading' 'Drive' Trailer

A Michigan woman was disappointed with the Ryan Gosling film, having expected "Fast and Furious" style thrills.

Sarah Deming has filed a lawsuit against FilmDistrict claiming that the distributors, "promoted the film Drive as very similar to the Fast and Furious, or similar, series of movies."

"Drive bore very little similarity to a chase, or race action film… having very little driving in the motion picture," the suit continues. "Drive was a motion picture that substantially contained extreme gratuitous defamatory dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith, and thereby promoted criminal violence against members of the Jewish faith.

Deming is seeking a refund for her movie ticket, in addition to halting the production of "misleading movie trailers" in the future. The plaintiff intends to turn her individual case into a class action lawsuit, thereby allowing fellow movie-goers an opportunity to share in the settlement, reports Detroit's WDIV-TV.
Old 10-10-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Haha. When I worked at the movie theater, I had an old couple come up and ask for a refund after Fellowship of the Ring. They felt offended that it didn't have an ending. Yea, to the point where I had to offer my geek knowledge and wrote down to contact Wingnut Films with their complaints. To make things worse, I had a random customer (and probably fellow movie geek) defend what he was hearing, which made them angrier. It was a pretty weird ordeal.
Old 10-10-11, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 10-11-11, 01:18 AM
Banned

*sigh*
Old 10-11-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
I really liked it and it sticks with you for a while. I dug the slowness and the music for the most part but the things that bugged me really really bugged me. The pink credits totally put me off. Hated it in the 80's too BTW. With any stylized piece some things aren't going to work for everyone. I thought the score was amazing but some of the songs felt very intrusive. The love montage song, yuck, and the song that was played twice, "a real human being" or A Real Hero (or maybe that was the song for both of those scenes?), just sucked balls for me. It took me out of the scenes and just made me concentrate on how much I was hating the song. I'm sure some people will think it was perfect and their favorite song/scene ever in a movie but that's kind of my point. I respect what it was going for but..."hated it". A great movie and Ryan was dreamy.
In total agreement about the songs. They took me out of the movie, too.

I liked the first two-thirds of the movie. Good solid crime drama, nice gradual build-up to short, sharp bursts of jarring and effective violence. A sense of menace and impending disaster looming underneath. Masterfully done. However, the final two confrontations did not deliver the goods. I needed more than what I got. There was no imagination in those scenes and no sense of real resolution. It kind of left me hanging.
Spoiler:
I'm referring to his final, separate encounters with Perlman and Brooks.

DRIVE is the first time I've seen either Gosling or Mulligan in a movie. I like the fact that they didn't talk much and communicated primarily through facial expressions and positioning of the body. They had the right faces and bodies for their characters and the camera caught them well.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-13-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-15-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

This is a nice promo for the film's soundtrack with clips of the music:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A9J4R4KYv-s?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The posts that Cliff Martinez's music in this film is reminiscent of Tangerine Dream are right on the money, particularly TD's mid-'70s to mid-'80s phase.

This bit of music from Risky Business is an example of their music that came to mind while I was watching Drive:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V5aRgOk_dnU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-15-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

"Drive" and "Hanna" are my two favorite films of 2011 so far. And both definitely have the two best soundtracks of the year as well.
Old 10-17-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

My Twitter review of this film:

"Drive: laconic, detached driver gets involved in personal matters & get out of his control. A strong '80s vibe in this like/hate film. Like!"

Last edited by dhmac; 10-17-11 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-11, 09:10 PM

Saw this yesterday against my wishes but wow, that was a fucking awesome movie. It was like A History of Violence + Fast and Furious. THe chicks in the theater were all gasping at the violence. It was kinda annoying.
Old 10-22-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Drive was like if you got Michael Mann to direct Taxi Driver in his prime. Hardon inducing stuff. Gorgeous score plus confident camerawork plus perfect casting. The antihero you root for because he's more pure than the monsters around him.
Old 10-23-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brilliant as usual for Refn. Stellar cast knocks it out of the park.

Did you see those custom knives in the display case? That custom straight he used on Walt? Loving it. So nice to see a film get the knives right.

Unlike that GD 'The Dark Knight' and all the others with the cheap-ass crap knives...
Old 10-23-11, 07:16 PM
Banned

....? What does it matter about the knives?
Old 10-23-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

....? What does it matter about the knives?
there was some big hullabaloo in the DARK KNIGHT thread about the joker using $2 knives or something
Old 10-23-11, 07:50 PM
Banned

Oooooh yeah. I don't think it mattered wtf The Joker used cuz it'd be the personality of the character to use whatever. For Brooks characteR having some believed "class" it was neat for him to have those blades.
Old 10-23-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
there was some big hullabaloo in the DARK KNIGHT thread about the joker using $2 knives or something

I was the hullabaloo. But let's stay on topic, that custom steel was sweet in this flick.

Good ol' Refn... even gets the small stuff right.

Spoiler:
BTW the Joker did use one nice blade in the film, one ~1200 Microtech OTF auto.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.