Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
A tragic degenerate?
Never seen one of those in a noir before? Out of the Past, Night and the City, The Killers, etc.
Old 02-23-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn 2011) (Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Ron Perlman, etc

Matthew McConaughey
Old 02-23-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Never seen one of those in a noir before? Out of the Past, Night and the City, The Killers, etc.
No, haven't seen those films before.
Old 02-23-12, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, haven't seen those films before.
Check them out if you ever get the chance. Great movies in their own right, but they are the spiritual ancestors for modern noir. The Driver really isn't your typical film noir protagonist, but Cranston's is pitch-perfect.
Old 02-23-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's true but his character doesn't get to do much - it's a pity really because he was far more interesting than "The Driver".
Old 02-23-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
The answers to all of your questions about this film will be answered if you watch the episode of "Miss Marple" that Refn directed. Otherwise, regardless of what side you're on, you're just arguing from ignorance.
Nah, it was just in the Miss Marple cut scenes - very hard to come by but invaluable for deciphering the hidden code in this movie. Hint: bananas.
Old 02-23-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
No I mean, it was fairly realistic and not incredibly over the top. The violence in ACO veers from ridiculously over the top to horrific.

The jacket was heavy handed. As were some of the artsier scenes.

But regardless, Drive was an arthouse flick that was sold as a mainstream one, expectations going in were all over the place depending on who you are and what kind of movies you like. I thought it delivered on what was promised in the ads and beginning of the movie, even though I feel the ending was a little lackluster.
Interesting. I thought it was trying to be art house and just turned into a typical Tarantinoesque tragic botched crime movie. I certainly did not expect a mainstream movie.
Old 02-23-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
With some hilariously hokey ultra-violence thrown in for no apparent reason except to one-up Tarantino and Scorsese.
No apparent reason huh? Ever think that they showed extreme violence to give you some insight to who the character really is? The gruesome nature of the head-stomp was supposed to be the point where Carey Mulligan, and the audience, starts to realize who The Driver really is and what he's capable of. It's the point when she turns his back on him and when the audience starts to lose some sympathy for him. It's interesting that a lot of people who didn't get the character of The Driver also thought the violence was too much. I'd rather learn about a character through his actions than some sloppy expository dialogue.
Old 02-23-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Bronson also had an awesome synth score mixed in with classical. Just saying.
Old 02-23-12, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
No apparent reason huh? Ever think that they showed extreme violence to give you some insight to who the character really is? The gruesome nature of the head-stomp was supposed to be the point where Carey Mulligan, and the audience, starts to realize who The Driver really is and what he's capable of. It's the point when she turns his back on him and when the audience starts to lose some sympathy for him. It's interesting that a lot of people who didn't get the character of The Driver also thought the violence was too much. I'd rather learn about a character through his actions than some sloppy expository dialogue.
You can stomp a head in without stomping it 17 times. Seemed contrived and thrown in for the high school set. THrow in the Mad Men chick's head exploding and it was hokey. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with violent scenes, it's just that in this movie, it seemed inserted for no apparent reason. Anyone that has seen movies has seen this before - Scorsese, Depalma, Tarantino.
Old 02-23-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can stomp a head in without stomping it 17 times. Seemed contrived and thrown in for the high school set. THrow in the Mad Men chick's head exploding and it was hokey. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with violent scenes, it's just that in this movie, it seemed inserted for no apparent reason. Anyone that has seen movies has seen this before - Scorsese, Depalma, Tarantino.
You seem knowledgeable about head-stomping. Something tells me that if you're at the point that you're going to stomp a human being's skull in, you're going to be a little excessive. You don't stomp down on a skull to "just the right amount." "This guy's already dead, I don't want to overdo it, 4 more stomps to his head would be overkill amirite??" It's interesting that you bring up a filmmaker like Tarantino who is the KING of over-indulgence.
Old 02-23-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's why I do bring up Tarantino. When he did it, it was new and daring. Now it's contrived and tired. And a skilled filmmaker who isn't interested in contrivances cuts away, goes to black, or does something other than show the skull collapsing for no apparent reason. Lots of filmmakers go for this shtick, I'm not trying to single this guy out. I'm just commenting on what I thought of the film.
Old 02-23-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blame Gaspar Noe. He's who Refn turned to as inpiration for that scene.
Old 02-23-12, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Ahem... 'Pusher' maybe? Wherein a total and complete fool, and a degenerate, is also tragic.
Old 02-23-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Could we please retire this fucking response? Unless you're like The Driver and can't form a coherent response to human interaction, I see no reason why this has to be used in every other DVDTalk thread. Shit gets old and isn't funny.

Now, ICANHASCHEEZBURGER replies=comedy gold.
Old 02-23-12, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I do bring up Tarantino. When he did it, it was new and daring. Now it's contrived and tired. And a skilled filmmaker who isn't interested in contrivances cuts away, goes to black, or does something other than show the skull collapsing for no apparent reason. Lots of filmmakers go for this shtick, I'm not trying to single this guy out. I'm just commenting on what I thought of the film.
Fair enough, I don't want to pick on you, just expand the discussion a bit. In reference to the violence, you've used the phrase "no apparent reason" about three times now. I'm just trying to explain why I think the director decided to show the violence in the way he did. To me, the elevator scene was perhaps the most significant piece of character development for The Driver in the entire film. It said a lot about who he was and what he's capable of. Right after the elevator scene they show the scorpion on his jacket and later in the film we realize that he is the scorpion in the story of the scorpion and the frog.

I know what you mean about some filmmakers taking the violence too far without any benefit to the film, I just don't agree that this was the case here. I think if they pulled away from the violence it would have been too easy to continue to sympathize with the Driver and not see him as the monster he really is.

In fact, I think films dealing with heavy material that don't show the extreme nature of violence do the audience a disservice. I don't like it when films glorify and romanticize violent characters without showing the consequences of violence. I hated Kill Bill because it glorified revenge whereas a film like Oldboy portrayed it as self-destructive and all-consuming.

I think it's irresponsible for a filmmaker to make a film about violent characters such as gangsters without showing the ugliness and brutality of the violence that these people commit on a regular basis. That's why the graphic nature of the violence in Drive didn't bother me, and in fact I think it was necessary.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 02-23-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

DaveyJoe - FWIW I liked your explanation of why the kills were done the way they were - interesting.
Old 02-23-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Was wondering who would be next to post one. You're a witty guy.
Old 02-23-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

This reminds me...where the hell is my "The Hire" DVD?
Old 02-24-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
DaveyJoe - FWIW I liked your explanation of why the kills were done the way they were - interesting.
Thank you, sir.
Old 02-24-12, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Fair enough, I don't want to pick on you, just expand the discussion a bit. In reference to the violence, you've used the phrase "no apparent reason" about three times now. I'm just trying to explain why I think the director decided to show the violence in the way he did. To me, the elevator scene was perhaps the most significant piece of character development for The Driver in the entire film. It said a lot about who he was and what he's capable of. Right after the elevator scene they show the scorpion on his jacket and later in the film we realize that he is the scorpion in the story of the scorpion and the frog.

I know what you mean about some filmmakers taking the violence too far without any benefit to the film, I just don't agree that this was the case here. I think if they pulled away from the violence it would have been too easy to continue to sympathize with the Driver and not see him as the monster he really is.

In fact, I think films dealing with heavy material that don't show the extreme nature of violence do the audience a disservice. I don't like it when films glorify and romanticize violent characters without showing the consequences of violence. I hated Kill Bill because it glorified revenge whereas a film like Oldboy portrayed it as self-destructive and all-consuming.

I think it's irresponsible for a filmmaker to make a film about violent characters such as gangsters without showing the ugliness and brutality of the violence that these people commit on a regular basis. That's why the graphic nature of the violence in Drive didn't bother me, and in fact I think it was necessary.

I agree w/ everything on Drive you said. And you're right.

THOUGH...on the part of showing the grim and ugly consequences of violence? No. Some films have a tone or a style that don't cater to that. It's specific to do so. Drive needed it. Kill Bill didn't.
Old 02-25-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't believe I slept on this movie. Fiance brought it back from redbox and I expected fast and the furious. What a pleasant surprise.
Old 03-04-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Just saw this on dvd. Went in completely blind. All i knew was that he's a stuntman driver. Never expected the turn
Old 03-05-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it fine, but don't understand the gushing. My problem is some things just didn't make sense to me or were weird. The jacket was weird, the music made me want to kill myself it was so horrible and almost ruined it for me. The synth stuff made my soul depressed. I hate loud sucky soundtracks that play over everything going on(seemingly). The music made other things I didn't like stand out because it had me looking for more faults. The elevator scene was weird. Why would he put them both in the likely danger of being killed for a long kiss? I know he wanted to finally get to first base but the guy should have murdered them while that was happening and his back was to him. Also why put on the mask to kill Pearlman? Just so it would make for a creepy sequence?Few things off the top of my head.
Old 03-05-12, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shady12
I liked it fine, but don't understand the gushing. My problem is some things just didn't make sense to me or were weird. The jacket was weird, the music made me want to kill myself it was so horrible and almost ruined it for me. The synth stuff made my soul depressed. I hate loud sucky soundtracks that play over everything going on(seemingly). The music made other things I didn't like stand out because it had me looking for more faults. The elevator scene was weird. Why would he put them both in the likely danger of being killed for a long kiss? I know he wanted to finally get to first base but the guy should have murdered them while that was happening and his back was to him. Also why put on the mask to kill Pearlman? Just so it would make for a creepy sequence?Few things off the top of my head.
Sounds like you need to go watch the Twilight series and leave this movie to people who get it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.