Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MEEK'S CUTOFF (2011) (dir. Reichardt) (Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul Dano)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

MEEK'S CUTOFF (2011) (dir. Reichardt) (Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul Dano)

Old 05-18-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AEmL9at6JT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1518812/

Settlers traveling through the Oregon desert in 1845 find themselves stranded in harsh conditions.
Old 05-18-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: MEEK'S CUTOFF (2011) (dir. Reichardt) (Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul D

Looks interesting I'll check it out. Although I don't like Michelle Williams, something about her rubs me the wrong way.
Old 05-18-11, 12:51 PM

Re: MEEK'S CUTOFF (2011) (dir. Reichardt) (Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul D

loved this film. it's as minimalistic and subtle as expected. the atmosphere was dead-on, and the suspense was unnerving.
Old 05-18-11, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks interesting, trailer didn't really get my attention...more I hear about it the more I'll probably check it out.
Old 05-19-11, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I've been looking forward to this for awhile. I really hope it makes its way to a theatre in the Vancouver area because it seems like something that needs to be seen on the big screen.
Old 05-19-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 979 Likes on 608 Posts

So when you get to Meek's Cutoff, get out of your wagon, cut off your meek, get back into your wagon, and keep driving until you get to the fork in the trail.

Old 05-23-11, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it this weekend. Thought it was great. Very slow moving. I liked Wendy and Lucy a lot, and this was in keeping with Reichardt's aesthetic. She's keeping neo-realism alive.

I'm sure people won't like this for a variety of reasons, it moves slowly, it's arty, it doesn't give you any easy conclusions, and the ending frustrated everyone in my theater. But to me this is true arthouse cinema, I think it's a successor to Terence Malick's style. I just found it intense and captivating and great film making.

Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, and Will Patton were all excellent. I'm getting a little sick of Paul Dano, but he didn't ruin it for me.

Incredibly worthwhile to see on the big screen. And don't get up and complain to theater management once the feature starts, Reichardt intentionally shot in 1.33:1 ratio.
Old 05-23-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was in the US a few days after this stopped showing in theaters. Very disappointed.
Old 05-24-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
I think it's a successor to Terence Malick's style.
Ugh. That statement makes this movie an instant skip for me.
Old 05-24-11, 11:05 PM
Banned

....I think there will only be one Terrence Malick..there will be no successor. There's just Terrence Malick and everyone else. Only Malick can do what Malick can do.
Old 10-02-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got around to seeing this... it's excellent. Really good film making and acting on display here.
Old 10-03-11, 12:32 PM
Banned

UNT here in Denton is showing it soon...i think I may watch it cuz I've wanted to.
Old 10-03-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
....I think there will only be one Terrence Malick..there will be no successor. There's just Terrence Malick and everyone else. Only Malick can do what Malick can do.
Put audiences to sleep instantly?
Old 10-03-11, 01:18 PM
Banned

You hush your internet mouth, sir.
Old 10-03-11, 01:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Saw it this weekend. Thought it was great. Very slow moving. I liked Wendy and Lucy a lot, and this was in keeping with Reichardt's aesthetic. She's keeping neo-realism alive.

I'm sure people won't like this for a variety of reasons, it moves slowly, it's arty, it doesn't give you any easy conclusions, and the ending frustrated everyone in my theater. But to me this is true arthouse cinema, I think it's a successor to Terence Malick's style. I just found it intense and captivating and great film making.

Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, and Will Patton were all excellent. I'm getting a little sick of Paul Dano, but he didn't ruin it for me.

Incredibly worthwhile to see on the big screen. And don't get up and complain to theater management once the feature starts, Reichardt intentionally shot in 1.33:1 ratio.
I didn't get the praise over Wendy and Lucy - does Will Patton have more screen time in 'Meeks' - in the former he's in it for like one scene ...
Old 10-05-11, 11:57 AM

While I think Wendy and Lucy is really slow, I appreciated its approach to the subject matter. I love the post war Italian films that have been called neorealist, and found a kind of kindred spirit in the work of Kelly Reichardt.

And yes Patton has a sizable role in this.
Old 01-20-13, 06:33 PM
Banned

Bought this when Oscilloscope had it's sale. Finally got to it. BF week gave me shit tons of movies to get through...

Totally didn't know about the framing of the film, 1.37:1. Took me off guard for a bit. I can easily see how people wouldn't like this. It's pacing and ending. While I don't really dig the pacing for me personally, I think it works very well w/ the film and taking a glimpse at this journey. I liked it. Williams was good. Everyone was pretty solid. I actually really liked the ending. Just one of those...you don't know where they're stopping in their story. It continues but we end it here. Solid film. The guy playing Meek though...something about him felt off and may have been his voice. Just didn't fit for me. Doesn't hurt the film but it didn't jive w/ me.