Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another remake: Bloodsport

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-17-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Pressman signs Noyce for Bloodsport; lands Venice slot for Moth Diaries

EXCLUSIVE: Phillip Noyce to direct and Robert Mark Kamen to script a reinvention of iconic Jean Claude Van Damme actioner Bloodsport.

Veteran producer Ed Pressman is in Cannes with news on three projects. Pressman has closed deals with Phillip Noyce to direct and Robert Mark Kamen to script a reinvention of iconic Jean Claude Van Damme actioner Bloodsport (1988).

Alberto Lensi is producing with Pressman the story will follow an American who goes to Brazil to recover from the violence he has experienced in Afghanistan who gets involved in a martial arts contest. Mark DiSalles is executive producing.

Mary Harron’s The Moth Diaries, which is currently in post-production, has been invited to the Venice Film Festival in September after festival director Marco Mueller saw a recent cut in New York. Sold internationally by Wild Bunch and domestically by Cinetic Media, the film stars Lily Cole and Sarah Bolger as girls caught in a web of jealousy and betrayal at an elite boarding school.

Kamen’s recent work includes the Transporter franchise, Taken, Bandidas and Kiss Of The Dragon for EuropaCorp, while Noyce’s last film was the Sony hit Salt starring Angelina Jolie.

Pressman is scheduled to start production on his reinvention of The Crow in January next year. The film, which is being financed by Relativity Media, is to be directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo with Bradley Cooper in negotiations to play the title character after he has shot Paradise Lost for Alex Proyas. Producers with Pressman on the film include Ryan Kavanaugh and Tucker Tooley of Relativity and Enrique Lopez of Apache Films, Madrid.
http://www.screendaily.com/news/prod...027674.article

-------------

Oh god. Is it really necessary? Wow Bloodsport was good enough do we need a remake? Who could yell louder than van damme in that last fight?
Old 05-17-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Another remake: Bloodsport

Remakes stopped annoying me a long time ago, but I have to say this film doesn't need a "re-invention".

Have fun trying to replicate the awesomeness that is:

Old 05-17-11, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not going to say Bloodsport was a GOOD movie...I dunno about that. It is entertaining at least. I know where one could theoretically make it better (story, acting, dialogue, etc)....but again. It's a product that was in a certain time in film where it was a solid flick for what it was. We don't need a remake. This is coming from a guy who can BARELY enjoy it today...I don't want a remake cuz the premise is to ridiculous to work today and not make me cringe.
Old 05-17-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...the story will follow an American who goes to Brazil to recover from the violence he has experienced in Afghanistan
Yawn. Let me guess, he'll be forced to use the tactics the military taught him to survive!
Old 05-17-11, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hollywood has run out of original scripts decades ago, so now their only option is to remake the old movies, and film adaptations from comic books, and video games.
Old 10-08-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert Mark Kamen Says No Van Damme in Bloodsport Remake

His Taken 2 in theaters now, screenwriter Robert Mark Kamen spoke with CraveOnline about his work on the upcoming remake of the 1988 Bloodsport and explains why he doesn't believe Jean-Claude Van Damme should be involved.

"This film resembles the original in title only," he says. "It has nothing to do with any Kumite contest. It has nothing to do with Frank Dux. If the title was not the same, you would not associate the two films. To use JCVD would make no sense because the association would be lost as the story has nothing to do with the first one. If anything it would be a distraction."

Earlier this year, Van Damme spoke with NextMovie about his desire to appear in the remake, voicing his dissatisfaction with Kamen.

"I want to be in the film as a trainer and I don't think the writer wants [me] to," he told the site. "...he knows that 'Bloodsport' is a big film so he wants to get credit with all of that — you know what I'm saying?"

It's been more than a year since significant news last broke on the project, but it's still believed that Salt director Phillip Noyce will direct.

Source
"Hey let's use the title Bloodsport but forget Van Damme!"
Old 10-08-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It sounds like a RINO. And is the original really "iconic?"
Old 10-08-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Why the hell even "remake" it if you're going to eliminate all semblance of the original?

I hope Van Damme gets to make his proposed sequel to Double Impact (which he intends to have Bolo Yeung in a lead role, despite his death in the first) before somone decides to "remake" that one as well.
Old 10-08-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D_1P2FIowi0#t=5m06s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-08-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Stupid. Dont even call it Bloodsport then.
Old 10-08-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

Bloodsport is my favorite martial arts movie. I watch it every time I run across it on TV...haha

"You break my record, now I break you, like I break your friend."
Old 10-09-12, 09:20 AM

This makes no sense. Bloodsport was supposedly based on a true story (which I'm sure of course was grossly exaggerated) and still ended up being a generic martial arts tournament movie. I used to love the movie when I was younger actually, but I haven't seen it since high school so I can't say if it would pass my adulthood test. But taking Frank Dux out of Bloodsport just turns it into any old martial arts flick. And the title isn't a marketable brand and there is no demand for this as a franchise.
Old 10-09-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by slimdude
Hollywood has run out of original scripts decades ago, so now their only option is to remake the old movies, and film adaptations from comic books, and video games.
You do realize that Hollywood has always done remakes, right? The Wizard of Oz and Scarface were remakes.

Bloodsport was awesome as a kid, but I'm sure it's really dumb today. I wouldn't mind seeing another "tournament" film with the influence of the good modern-day martial arts movies
Old 10-09-12, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
Bloodsport was awesome as a kid, but I'm sure it's really dumb today. I wouldn't mind seeing another "tournament" film with the influence of the good modern-day martial arts movies
Check out Warrior. It's Bloodsport with the Heat treatment. One of the best movies of the past decade IMHO.
Old 10-09-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
Check out Warrior. It's Bloodsport with the Heat treatment. One of the best movies of the past decade IMHO.
I saw it, and yes, I enjoyed it. A new Bloodsport would need more fighting.
Old 10-09-12, 10:46 AM
Banned

I wouldn't call Warrior one of the best movies of the decade but it's pretty solid. A wee bit too predictable w/ where and how the emotions will go but it does it pretty well around that otherwise. Bloodsport would need a lot more fighting for sure.
Old 10-09-12, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mattflix
This makes no sense. Bloodsport was supposedly based on a true story (which I'm sure of course was grossly exaggerated) and still ended up being a generic martial arts tournament movie. I used to love the movie when I was younger actually, but I haven't seen it since high school so I can't say if it would pass my adulthood test. But taking Frank Dux out of Bloodsport just turns it into any old martial arts flick. And the title isn't a marketable brand and there is no demand for this as a franchise.
Grossly exaggerated would be the nicest way you could say it. Frank Dux was fraud who lied about his military service (military had no record of him and the medals he posed with in pictures didn't match his story at all and was mixed from two branches), his martial arts skills he demoed on the set were comically inept (fell over doing a front-roll), and the kumite trophy he "won" and showed off to reporters was later tracked down to a trophy shop a few blocks down from his house. He used to have youtube videos up punching through glass and whatnot until a special effects guy explained how to tell it was all faked. Plus, no details have ever been confirmed for any portion of his kumite stories...

He is often regarded as the poster-child for martial arts fraud and hoaxes.
Old 10-09-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Grossly exaggerated would be the nicest way you could say it. Frank Dux was fraud who lied about his military service (military had no record of him and the medals he posed with in pictures didn't match his story at all and was mixed from two branches), his martial arts skills he demoed on the set were comically inept (fell over doing a front-roll), and the kumite trophy he "won" and showed off to reporters was later tracked down to a trophy shop a few blocks down from his house. He used to have youtube videos up punching through glass and whatnot until a special effects guy explained how to tell it was all faked. Plus, no details have ever been confirmed for any portion of his kumite stories...

He is often regarded as the poster-child for martial arts fraud and hoaxes.
Interesting stuff. I only knew he later sued Van Damme over The Quest, claiming Van Damme ripped off a script that Dux supposedly wrote. It always struck me as weird since Dux always had a story credit in that movie and the lawsuit came a few years later. Last I heard, Dux lost the lawsuit.
Old 10-10-12, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I wouldn't call Warrior one of the best movies of the decade but it's pretty solid. A wee bit too predictable w/ where and how the emotions will go but it does it pretty well around that otherwise. Bloodsport would need a lot more fighting for sure.
Ok I'll concede that Warrior is probably objectively not one of the best, but it was more my personal reaction to it. It is the typical martial arts tournament movie with most of the typical plot developments, but with its characters treated seriously. I freaking loved it.
Old 10-10-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

If there is simultaneous doing the splits while punching a dude in the balls, Im in!
Old 07-25-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jean-Claude Van Damme’s ‘Bloodsport’ Is Getting Remade By ‘V For Vendetta’ Director

Bloodsport may be one of the most overrated movies there is. It wasn’t particularly good, but it’s remembered and held on a pedestal because it made Jean-Claude Van Damme a star. A couple of years ago, it was announced that Bloodsport would be getting remade by director Phillip Noyce, but that has since changed. Relativity is now producing the reboot with director James McTeigue (V For Vendetta), and is also bringing in someone new to rewrite the script.

In the original Bloodsport, Van Damme played Frank Dux, a young trainee of master of the art Tanaka who participates in the Kumite, the ultimate martial arts tournament where participants are heavy injured and killed. Back when Noyce was director, the story was said to follow an American who goes to Brazil to recover from the violence he experience in Afghanistan but ends up involved in a martial arts contest. That story was written by Taken‘s Robert Mark Kamen, based on a story developed by Kamen and Philip Noyce. Variety reports that the story will still explore the “underground world of Brazil,” but with mercenaries involved. The rewrite is being penned by Craig Rosenberg (The Uninvited).

Bloodsport will be shot in Australia and Brazil. No word on a release date yet.

Source
Old 07-25-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Meh, it's all about the martial arts, as long as they good a good choreographer, a good fighter, and a director and DP without actute shaky-cam-itis, it could be fun. Adkins and Stovall have my vote.
Old 07-25-13, 04:06 PM
Banned

It'll look pretty at least.
Old 07-25-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert Mark Kamen Says No Van Damme in Bloodsport Remake

His Taken 2 in theaters now, screenwriter Robert Mark Kamen spoke with CraveOnline about his work on the upcoming remake of the 1988 Bloodsport and explains why he doesn't believe Jean-Claude Van Damme should be involved.

"This film resembles the original in title only," he says. "It has nothing to do with any Kumite contest. It has nothing to do with Frank Dux. If the title was not the same, you would not associate the two films. To use JCVD would make no sense because the association would be lost as the story has nothing to do with the first one. If anything it would be a distraction."

Earlier this year, Van Damme spoke with NextMovie about his desire to appear in the remake, voicing his dissatisfaction with Kamen.

"I want to be in the film as a trainer and I don't think the writer wants [me] to," he told the site. "...he knows that 'Bloodsport' is a big film so he wants to get credit with all of that — you know what I'm saying?"

It's been more than a year since significant news last broke on the project, but it's still believed that Salt director Phillip Noyce will direct.
Then come up with a different title, asshole.
Old 07-25-13, 06:56 PM
Banned

The original was a classic just because it had Donald Gibb, aka Ogre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.