Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rendezvous with Rama: project dead?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-13-11, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember hearing something that this was in the works, in the initial stages and that Morgan Freeman was involved (his production company, perhaps?) and that David Fincher was rumored to be directing. That was 5-8 years ago, I think.

Is this project now dead? Anyone know what the status is?

That would be one monumental movie, if someone could do it right...
Old 05-13-11, 04:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rendezvous with Rama: project dead?

Wikipedia as this...

In the early 2000s, actor Morgan Freeman expressed his desire to produce a film based on Rendezvous with Rama. After a drawn-out development process — which Freeman attributed to difficulties in procuring funding — it appeared in 2003 this would indeed be happening. IMDb at one point upgraded the status of the project to "announced" with an estimated release date in 2009. The film was to be produced by Freeman's production company, Revelations Entertainment. David Fincher, touted on Revelations' Rama web page as far back as 2001,[7] stated in a late 2007 interview (where he also credited the novel as an influence on the films Alien and Star Trek: The Motion Picture) that he is still attached to helm. Revelations and IMDb indicated that Stel Pavlou had written the adaptation.

In late 2008, David Fincher stated the movie is unlikely to be made. "It looks like it's not going to happen. There's no script and as you know, Morgan Freeman's not in the best of health right now. We've been trying to do it but it's probably not going to happen." However the IMDb entry for the film remains, with an estimated release date in 2013. In January 2011, Fincher stated in an interview with MTV that after his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie, he would really begin to work on Rendezvous with Rama. He also said that finding the right script was very difficult.
take it however you want it.

guy made a short film revolving around this thing...I've never heard of the book...now I"m interested though...

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/1989082?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="600" height="321" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Rendezvous with Rama - NYU 2001 from Aaron Ross on Vimeo.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-13-11 at 04:21 AM.
Old 05-13-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Been hearing about this movie for a long time now. I read the book years ago and really enjoyed it, however i think a literal translation to the big screen would be a hard sell. The book if i remember correctly was just the exploration of the ship passing through our solar system on a limited time frame as its course was plotted. This is a movie that i can imagine would turn out like Gattacca. Failing horribly at the theaters it could be a genuinely original thinking mans Sci-Fi that shows us something different and relies on the story to keep us engrossed rather than explosions or needless action.
Old 05-13-11, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Really hope this does eventually get made as I loved the book and it's sequels.