Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS (2011) (dir. Herzog)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-12-11, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eNlxiJFvwUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1664894/

Werner Herzog gains exclusive access to film inside the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting.
Old 05-12-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS (2011) (dir. Herzog)

Man I've been so stoked to see this since I became aware of it a while back.

The reviews have been heaping praise on it. It was over 90% on RT last time I checked, with excellent reviews galore.
Old 05-12-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Are they releaseing a 2D version of this? MY local art house is getting this on Friday but I don't think they have a 3D screen.
Old 05-12-11, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not of fan of that line Herzog spits out about hearing a heartbeat but....I'm in for this.
Old 05-12-11, 02:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Are they releaseing a 2D version of this? MY local art house is getting this on Friday but I don't think they have a 3D screen.
there is a 2D version floating around, Bethesda Landmark shows one screening a day, since the 3D version is over at Hoffman and Georgetown - the 3D is amazing and the narration by Herzog is hysterical.

Best 3D movie of the year!
Old 05-12-11, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Not of fan of that line Herzog spits out about hearing a heartbeat but....I'm in for this.
That's one of the French guides saying that; little cheesy, I agree.

Looks great though and I'm glad it's being put into context with pieces outside of the cave with the atlatl practice.
Old 05-13-11, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 238 Likes on 107 Posts

I saw this the other day. It was very cool to see the cave paintings in 3d. This was my first 3d experience and I liked it a lot.

The film did drag a bit though.
Old 05-13-11, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, very thought provoking.

See it in 3D if you can, excellent use of the technology!
Old 05-15-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You thought that was Herzog? And to think you're a film student

This film looks amazing, can't wait to see it. Ebert said even the 3D worked well for this.
Old 05-15-11, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I love Herzog so much. A true genius of film.
Old 05-20-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw this last night and loved it--very moving. Still not sold on 3D though--I thought it worked well for the cave sequences, but overall, another dark 3D projection that makes me feel like I'm watching a movie underwater.
Old 05-20-11, 01:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I saw this last night and loved it--very moving. Still not sold on 3D though--I thought it worked well for the cave sequences, but overall, another dark 3D projection that makes me feel like I'm watching a movie underwater.
well not only were the cave shots perfect in 3D, but the one shot of individual standing in front a stack of books extending to the back wall (with a vanishing point) conveys a shot of depth to excellent effect - I'm miffed though at AMC Hoffman where I saw it - they projected the film at 2.35 when in fact it's a 1.85 aspect ratio film - essentially what they did was cut off the top and bottom of the image - I'm sure for the next screening that day it was corrected since I had brought it up to the manager ...
Old 05-20-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giles
well not only were the cave shots perfect in 3D, but the one shot of individual standing in front a stack of books extending to the back wall (with a vanishing point) conveys a shot of depth to excellent effect - I'm miffed though at AMC Hoffman where I saw it - they projected the film at 2.35 when in fact it's a 1.85 aspect ratio film - essentially what they did was cut off the top and bottom of the image - I'm sure for the next screening that day it was corrected since I had brought it up to the manager ...
I would have asked for a voucher or refund. That's annoying, especially when you're paying the 3D tax.
Old 05-20-11, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Seeing this tomorrow, really excited.
Old 05-23-11, 03:12 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Excellent film, I thought that the 3d in the cave sequences was fantastic, that coupled with the way the lights were constantly in motion gave the cave sequences an extra sense of awe.
Old 05-25-11, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

The sequences showing the cave art in 3-D were fantastic, but they’re nearly ruined by this truly grating dissonant string score that is plastered over everything. There’s one long sequence where the camera moves over the paintings with the music blasting and I just wanted to see them in silence.

The rest of the movie is kind of dull, though. Herzog has some interesting insights here and there, including the way these images are “proto-cinema,” but not the rest of the French and German “experts” recruited for this. What bothers me is that no art historian was consulted. I would like to have heard these paintings discussed as works of art. Also, no one explains how these paintings were made, i.e. what kind of materials were used to make them, what kind of tools were used, why the images have lasted so long, etc.

If one of the interviewees did indeed have an art history background, it wasn't made clear to me. I'm really not sure what their expertise was. There actually was one interesting interviewee--a young guy who used to be a juggler/unicyclist at a circus. I forget what his current position is, but he makes a point about how it's necessary to compare this art with examples of more recent rock art found around the world (Australia, the American Southwest, South Africa, etc.). I wish the film had taken him up on that.

The 3-D was very dark. I wound up taking the glasses off during the talking heads sequences because the image was about 40-50% brighter without the glasses. The image was blurred, but brighter. I wonder if 2-D isn’t the best way to see this.

I was very drained by the end of it and somewhat disoriented, esp. when I went down to the basement level of the theater where the bathrooms were. The walls were black, jutting stone and it was very dark and I half expected to see cave art on them. (It was the IFC Center in Manhattan.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-25-11 at 06:56 AM.