Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Zombie's Lords Of Salem (2012)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rob Zombie's Lords Of Salem (2012)

Old 02-04-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Rob Zombie's Lords Of Salem (2012)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y606RoSur8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not really feeling this trailer so much. Sherri Moon is not a good actress by any means, and it hampers his films (so does a lot of other stuff...). This trailer makes it look like generic, boring horror. Way to put a fresh spin on things, guys!
Old 02-04-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Much less avant-garde than the first trailer. Still looks devilish and fun.

Rob Zombies movies really indulge in the nightmare. I think it's frightening. More than some average eye-rolling horror movie.
Old 02-04-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new trailer is meh but whatever i'll be there opening weekend.
Old 02-04-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may not be a big fan of some of his films but thank god for Rob Z. Love his vision and, his original movies are throwbacks.
Old 02-05-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

Rob Zombie needs to stop casting his wife. That trailer didn't do a whole lot for me.
Old 02-05-13, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And once again not a modicum of originality, as Zombie just continues mimicking his favorite directors while casting his barely D grade actress of a wife. Pass.
Old 02-05-13, 06:22 AM
Cool New Member

Caught this last year at TIFF.

The film definitely shows Zombie progressing as a filmmaker, but it lacks that excitement that made his past movies memorable.

Here's my review:

http://www.blog.filmarmy.ca/2012/09/...bies-audacity/
Old 02-05-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Go see Sinister. I've heard good things, and it's not a found footage film.
I don't think it's a found footage movie in the traditional sense, but I think some found footage does figure into the plot. I'll probably give it a rental when the DVD comes out.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Blabbermouth is reporting this will open on April 26, 2013.

Zombie is also co-writing a tie-in book.
And not for Halloween? They sure pick odd times to release horror flicks these days. I'm always surprised when I see interviews with Zombie. Given how deranged his films are and looking at him with the long hair and the persona, he's actually surprisingly articulate, he's a pretty intelligent guy.

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Much less avant-garde than the first trailer. Still looks devilish and fun.

Rob Zombies movies really indulge in the nightmare. I think it's frightening. More than some average eye-rolling horror movie.
Zombie determinedly likes to pretend that we're still back in the 70s. He doesn't dress up any of the stuff of his that I've seen with modern digital effects and it look deliberately grungy and sparse. Though judging by having Brandon Trost as his DP, he must be shooting on digital now.
Old 02-05-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Rob Zombie needs to stop casting his wife. That trailer didn't do a whole lot for me.
Trailer got me less interested than the previous ones, but I'm still interested. I agree with the statement about Zombie casting his wife so much. She's not a terrible actress IMO, but she has no business carrying a movie as the lead.
Old 02-05-13, 01:27 PM
Banned

I really disliked his Halloween films, but the man is obviously a horror aficionado who knows his stuff, so there's hope for him yet. Please, no scenes that use the song "Love Hurts." Fuck.
Old 02-05-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a huge fan of RZ's movies (even though I loved the original Halloween, I thought his remake was pretty good as well, the sequel was just OK) so I am very much looking forward to this. There is so much extremely bad horror out there I simply can't understand the hate.
Old 02-05-13, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I'm a huge fan of RZ's movies (even though I loved the original Halloween, I thought his remake was pretty good as well, the sequel was just OK) so I am very much looking forward to this. There is so much extremely bad horror out there I simply can't understand the hate.
Oh but to choose from the buffet of reasons why Zombie sucks. But to each their own.
Old 02-08-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terminal
Oh but to choose from the buffet of reasons why Zombie sucks. But to each their own.
RZ is a horror director. Compared to other horror directors I still don't understand the hate. He may not be the best out there but far from the bottom. I always enjoy his movies. It's not like anyone is comparing him to Scorsese or Kubrick. Even comparing him to John Carpenter falls flat. Carpenter is one of my all-time favorite horror directors but he certainly has made some stinkers. Even his original Halloween I feel is overrated (still a very great horror movie but it doesn't hold up well).
Old 02-08-13, 03:18 PM

RZ is a horror director.
I beg to differ.
Old 02-08-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I beg to differ.
I'm guessing you are joking but in case you are not, what genre of director would you consider he is?
Old 02-08-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even his original Halloween I feel is overrated (still a very great horror movie but it doesn't hold up well).
Couldn't disagree more with a post on this site. Carpenter's Halloween is a classic. One of the few films I look forward to watching each and every October.
Old 02-08-13, 06:33 PM

I'm guessing you are joking but in case you are not, what genre of director would you consider he is?
I don't consider him a director at all. He's good at mimicking the styles of others, but that doesn't make him a director of any sorts. House of 1K corpses was amateur, Devil's Rejects was sloppy if a step up, and the Zombieween movies are abominations on film. He's no kind of director.

His commercials for pesticides and detergents are watchable I guess.
Old 02-08-13, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Couldn't disagree more with a post on this site. Carpenter's Halloween is a classic. One of the few films I look forward to watching each and every October.
I agree. But then this is a thread praising a Rob Zombie movie. I'd expect no less than undermining a horror classic.
Old 02-08-13, 06:41 PM

Even comparing him to John Carpenter falls flat. Carpenter is one of my all-time favorite horror directors but he certainly has made some stinkers.
Even Carpenter's stinkers have a fun sensibility to them. He doesn't pretend to be more than the DIY B-movie man that he is, which even makes turgid shit like Ghosts of Mars enjoyable on some level. Zombie is a glorified fanboy who does what we'd all love to do: make movies with the horror icons of yesteryear. Unfortunately, his rank brew of fellating has-been stars, presenting white trash as oh-so-hep, and attempting to recreate classic horror cinema with some crayons & sponsorship from the Hot Topic generation is almost demoralizing to watch.
Old 02-08-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. But then this is a thread praising a Rob Zombie movie. I'd expect no less than undermining a horror classic.
I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone is exactly "praising" RZ in this thread. I was merely questioning the amount of hate he gets considering there is far, far worse horror out there.

And don't get me wrong. I love Halloween and yes, it is a classic. Carpenter is a fantastic director (The Thing is my all-time favorite movie). But, looked at objectively, Halloween is (IMO) overrated considering its ranked usually as the best horror movie of all time. Just the acting alone is close to unbearable.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 02-08-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by golden_rod
Even Carpenter's stinkers have a fun sensibility to them. He doesn't pretend to be more than the DIY B-movie man that he is, which even makes turgid shit like Ghosts of Mars enjoyable on some level. Zombie is a glorified fanboy who does what we'd all love to do: make movies with the horror icons of yesteryear. Unfortunately, his rank brew of fellating has-been stars, presenting white trash as oh-so-hep, and attempting to recreate classic horror cinema with some crayons & sponsorship from the Hot Topic generation is almost demoralizing to watch.

This.

/thread
Old 02-08-13, 09:05 PM

I may be mistaken but I don't think anyone is exactly "praising" RZ in this thread. I was merely questioning the amount of hate he gets considering there is far, far worse horror out there.

And don't get me wrong. I love Halloween and yes, it is a classic. Carpenter is a fantastic director (The Thing is my all-time favorite movie). But, looked at objectively, Halloween is (IMO) overrated considering its ranked usually as the best horror movie of all time. Just the acting alone is close to unbearable.
I think you're mastering the art of hyperbole. The movie is a masterpiece. It aces pacing, build up, tension, paints a wonderful story, fleshes out its maniac, and plays excellently on the themes of fate and good and evil. The movies after Halloween are inferior and cheapen Carpenter's intended premise and plays on mythology.

I prefer Black Christmas in terms of slasher titles, but Halloween is a masterpiece.
Old 02-08-13, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by golden_rod
Old 02-08-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

His commercials for pesticides and detergents are watchable I guess.
Those are great and you know it. They were my favorite commericals on, I was shocked to find out Rob did those.

I have enjoyed all of Rob's movies, especially The Devil's Rejects. I will definitely be checking this out.
Old 02-08-13, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by onebyone
Those are great and you know it. They were my favorite commericals on, I was shocked to find out Rob did those.
Sure, in the history of pesticide and detergent commercials, they weren't bad. I would love to see his interpretation on fabric softener.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.