Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jim Caviezel- 'Rejected By My Own Industry' For 'Passion Of The Christ'

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-03-11, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The man who played Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's much criticized "Passion of the Christ," says the role has been his "cross to bear," and that Hollywood has shunned him ever since making the film.

Jim Caviezel, who, before taking the role of Jesus, was a rising Hollywood star with strong reviews for his work in "Frequency," and "The Thin Red Line," told an audience at First Baptist Church of Orlando on Saturday that Gibson begged him to reconsider taking the gig.

"He said, 'You'll never work in this town again,'" Caviezel remembered. "I told him, 'We all have to embrace our crosses.'"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_856587.html

Yep, more proof that liberals in Hollywood are indeed anti-Christian! Caviezel is an incredibily talented actor, and it's criminal that he has not been offered lead roles in several years. Major respect for this guy willing to give up his career for something he felt was truly important.
Old 05-03-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jim Caviezel- 'Rejected By My Own Industry' For 'Passion Of The Christ'

Ehh, or maybe his career just dwindled. Look at Guy Pearce, Viggo Mortensen, etc. It's possible it's some big conspiracy, but sometimes life just happens.
Old 05-03-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 390 Posts

I'm going for dwindled as well, all those guys that should have had huge careers back in the early 00s disappeared with nary a trace.
Old 05-03-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was in my town! Eh, even a guy that starred in a Terrence Malick flick couldn't get me to step inside a church.

Wasn't he just on that AMC mini-series? He wasn't that big of a star but maybe a director will take a chance on him or a TV series.
Old 05-03-11, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

He's worked on 11 projects in the 7 years since "Passion"... most actors would be happy with that.

2012 Sound of Mind (pre-production)
Davis (rumored)

2012 Savannah (post-production)
Ward Allen

2011 Person of Interest (TV movie) (post-production)
Reese

2011 Transit (post-production)
Nate

2009 The Prisoner (TV mini-series)
6 / Michael
– Episode 5: Schizoid (2009) … 6 (as Jim Caviezel) / Michael (as Jim Caviezel)
– Episode 6: Checkmate (2009) … 6 (as Jim Caviezel) / Michael (as Jim Caviezel)
– Episode 3: Anvil (2009) … 6 (as Jim Caviezel) / Michael (as Jim Caviezel)
– Episode 4: Darling (2009) … 6 (as Jim Caviezel) / Michael (as Jim Caviezel)
– Episode 1: Arrival (2009) … 6 (as Jim Caviezel) / Michael (as Jim Caviezel)
See all 6 episodes

2008 Long Weekend
Peter

2008 The Stoning of Soraya M.
Freidoune Sahebjam

2008 Outlander
Kainan

2006 Deja Vu
Carroll Oerstadt (as Jim Caviezel)

2006 Unknown
Jean Jacket (as Jim Caviezel)

2004 Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius
Bobby Jones (as Jim Caviezel)
Old 05-03-11, 05:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I always thought he was a pretty bland actor, tbh.
Old 05-03-11, 05:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X View Post
Ehh, or maybe his career just dwindled. Look at Guy Pearce, Viggo Mortensen, etc. It's possible it's some big conspiracy, but sometimes life just happens.
Ironically, he starred with Guy Pearce in The Count of Monte Cristo
Old 05-03-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Yep, more proof that liberals in Hollywood are indeed anti-Christian!
There it is
Old 05-03-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ironically, he starred with Guy Pearce in The Count of Monte Cristo
Maybe we should refer to it as The Curse of Monte Cristo?
Old 05-03-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guy Pearce's career got a boost when he grew a mustache.
Old 05-03-11, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
I always thought he was a pretty bland actor, tbh.
I think he gave a strong performance in The Thin Red Line.
Old 05-03-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a whiner. He doesn't have a career because he refuses to be filmed in any situation that compromises his faith. That could be anything from filming a love scene with a woman "who is not his wife" to content about drugs or violence, etc. No director wants to work with an actor who thinks he can rewrite every script in accord with his own christian sensibilities.

Max Von Sydow played Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told. Didn't wreck his career.

Christian Bale played Jesus in Mary, Mother of Jesus in 1999. Didn't wreck his career.

Victor Garber played Jesus in Godspell in 1973. Didn't wreck his career.

Willem DaFoe played Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ in 1988. Didn't wreck his career.

Career wrecking Jesus seems to be unique to Caviezel.
Old 05-03-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
What a whiner. He doesn't have a career because he refuses to be filmed in any situation that compromises his faith. That could be anything from filming a love scene with a woman "who is not his wife" to content about drugs or violence, etc. No director wants to work with an actor who thinks he can rewrite every script in accord with his own christian sensibilities.

Max Von Sydow played Jesus in The Greatest Story Ever Told. Didn't wreck his career.

Christian Bale played Jesus in Mary, Mother of Jesus in 1999. Didn't wreck his career.

Victor Garber played Jesus in Godspell in 1973. Didn't wreck his career.

Willem DaFoe played Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ in 1988. Didn't wreck his career.

Career wrecking Jesus seems to be unique to Caviezel.
You win!
Old 05-03-11, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 160 Posts

^ No no. It's Christian-hating liberal Hollywood drive-by-media-elite secular-progressive George Soros types who wrecked Cavaziel's career!!!!!1

Has nothing to do with him being a bland, lifeless, shitty actor... and dealing with broad stereotypes I hear about on Talk Radio is so much easier than rational thought!
Old 05-03-11, 05:49 PM

I don't blame Jim Caviezel one bit! Apparently, his Christianity is more important, than selling himself out for fame, and fortune, and there is nothing wrong about having morals in today's society at all. To each it's own!

Last edited by slimdude; 05-03-11 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
I think he gave a strong performance in The Thin Red Line.
He did.

He's a talented actor.
Old 05-03-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can cite this?

His rather recent role in 'Deja Vu' would make that notion out to be horseshit right off the bat.
Old 05-03-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
You can cite this?

His rather recent role in 'Deja Vu' would make that notion out to be horseshit right off the bat.

All I could find is this. Take it for what you will...

Staunchly Catholic Hollywood actor Jim Caviezel refused to strip off for a sex scene with beautiful actress Ashley Judd. The 33-year-old star threatened to walk out unless director Carl Franklin shot the scene for thriller High Crimes with both parties wearing clothes. He says, "I told Carl, 'It's no problem, I don't have to do this movie. Go ahead and find someone else.' I see our culture as not respecting people too much, treating people like objects. There are times where sex is appropriate, but I've yet to see butts and breasts act themselves out of a scene!" It's not the first time Caviezel has refused to get naked for scenes with beautiful co-stars. He refused to film a love scene with sexy Jennifer Lopez in Angel Eyes because she was topless and asked rising star Dagmara Domincyzk to cover her nipples while shooting The Count Of Monte Cristo. The married star says, "My acting stems from inside, from God. And that's the only way I can act. If I violate that, then I don't think I'd be around this business much longer."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0055154/
Old 05-03-11, 06:13 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Yep, more proof that liberals in Hollywood are indeed anti-Christian!
More like they are anti-anti-semitism. But regardless, pulling up his IMDB profile shows that he's been working steadily since POTC (not to be confused with POTC starring Johnny Depp).
Old 05-03-11, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_856587.html

Yep, more proof that liberals in Hollywood are indeed anti-Christian! Caviezel is an incredibily talented actor, and it's criminal that he has not been offered lead roles in several years. Major respect for this guy willing to give up his career for something he felt was truly important.
eh....he's alright. He hasn't done anything amazing.

Also..like the others have mentioned. Others as well have played Jesus and had solid careers after it. This guy probably hasn't cuz...well..he's not amazing. He's good but not stand out good.
Old 05-03-11, 06:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at his career between Count of Monte Cristo and Passion of the Christ, his career already looks like it was heading toward supporting player status. Third wheel in High Crimes (an Ashley Judd/Morgan Freeman headlining thriller I'd already forgotten about), something called I Am David (which grossed less than $300,000), third billed in The Final Cut (a Robin Williams thriller that made $548,000), and lead in Highwaymen (horror flop that made $367,000).

If you throw Passion out of the mix, it looks like his career was already heading in the path it ended up. His next film after Passion, Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius only made $2.6 million despite having a Christian-friendly PG rating and being released only 2 months after Passion (and thus in the midst of Passion-mania). I only point this out to show that, despite the huge success for Passion, none of that success translated into box office pull for Caviezel himself.
Old 05-03-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has he auditioned for Tyler Perry?
Old 05-03-11, 06:19 PM

Don't have much to contribute to the thread other than that I met Jim Caviezel during Thanksgiving when I was dating his cousin a couple years prior to Passion's release. He was still doing Nike ads then. Good guy, and as bland in real life as he appears in his roles. I admire that he's so firm in his beliefs (especially in an industry rife with hypocrisy).

/slightlyOT
Old 05-03-11, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I could find is this. Take it for what you will...

Staunchly Catholic Hollywood actor Jim Caviezel refused to strip off for a sex scene with beautiful actress Ashley Judd. The 33-year-old star threatened to walk out unless director Carl Franklin shot the scene for thriller High Crimes with both parties wearing clothes. He says, "I told Carl, 'It's no problem, I don't have to do this movie. Go ahead and find someone else.' I see our culture as not respecting people too much, treating people like objects. There are times where sex is appropriate, but I've yet to see butts and breasts act themselves out of a scene!" It's not the first time Caviezel has refused to get naked for scenes with beautiful co-stars. He refused to film a love scene with sexy Jennifer Lopez in Angel Eyes because she was topless and asked rising star Dagmara Domincyzk to cover her nipples while shooting The Count Of Monte Cristo. The married star says, "My acting stems from inside, from God. And that's the only way I can act. If I violate that, then I don't think I'd be around this business much longer."

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0055154/
Well... that would make the case at least in part. But he was an 'all business' mass murderer who had no regrets in 'Deja Vu', so maybe it's just the sex stuff.

If he's pulling that shit on sets, then he is cutting his own throat. Word gets around fast on that stuff.

WTF is wrong with him not wanting to waller around with a naked Ashley Judd?
Old 05-03-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It doesn't really seem like he's complaining. He was a B-list actor all along, and continues to be. Seems about right.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.