Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast Five (Fast & Furious 5) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/11

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Fast Five?
Loved it! Bring on the sequel
60.00%
Thought it was good, not great.
17.50%
Meh. It was just alright
6.25%
Didn't hate it, but was disappointed
0%
Thought it sucked.
1.25%
Not interested in seeing this. I was drawn to this thread by unknown forces
8.75%
Will wait until home video to see it. Too lazy/cheap to see it in theatres.
6.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Fast Five (Fast & Furious 5) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-11, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Didn't they just kill her off for shock value? She was pretty prominently advertised in all the promotional materials so it's not like she ever disowned the franchise.
Spoiler:
Typically from what I have seen, the high profile characters specifically don't want to be in one. Unlike Vin though who wasn't in the 3rd I don't think, maybe the 2nd either, they just wrote him out. They killed her though, so unless there's a page it's anyones guess as to why they went that way.
Old 04-30-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

Just got back from Oceans 11... er... Fast Five. Sold out. I hadn't seen any trailers so the whole damn thing was fresh to me and I loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I went expecting a goofy movie, that was hopefully a good mix between the goofiness of the original and action of the fourth.

My jaw was on the floor by the end of the movie. It was an honestly entertaining, well-executed, fun action movie.

Couldn't have said it better. I saw the original in the theater, but skipped all the sequels up until this one. What a fucking blast. Johnson fit right in and I'm looking forward to his return, especially if they follow through on the end credits spoiler.

I loved seeing Michael Irby in this. It's a shame he went from co-starring on the Unit to playing bit parts and stereotypical bad guys.

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Dude's nucking futz. Brewster, Gardot, Pataky and Mendez all in the same movie? Hottie factor was off the fucking charts.
Old 04-30-11, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Spoiler:
Typically from what I have seen, the high profile characters specifically don't want to be in one. Unlike Vin though who wasn't in the 3rd I don't think, maybe the 2nd either, they just wrote him out. They killed her though, so unless there's a page it's anyones guess as to why they went that way.
Spoiler:
From what I recall, Vin Diesel is the only cast member to drop out of the franchise. That's why he was MIA in 2 Fast 2 Furious. Roman was written as a last-minute replacement.

Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster were never asked to return. But changing the girls for a newer and hotter model (in that case, Eva Mendes) is typical for most action franchises. Vin Diesel's cameo in Tokyo Drift was a last minute reshoot (even though they advertized the hell outta that scene once they shot it). I'll have to dig for some info regarding the offing of Michelle Rodriguez in her return appearance.
Old 04-30-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.

I see we actually have our 1st "Meh" in the Poll. "g" care to elaborate???
Old 05-01-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If I recall correctly:

Spoiler:
Rodriguez's character was killed off screen and we only saw her funeral. The scenes of her death were constructed in the head of Dom, so we really just kind of took their word she was dead. I am curious as to what she was really up to though, and why she would fake her death. Also, I don't recall seeing Trudy die in Avatar, her craft just got shot down. This woman may have found a way to get back into another lucrative franchise!
Old 05-01-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw it last night and loved the movie, but Tokyo Drift remains my favorite. (Despite endlessly making fun of how stupid it looked before I really saw it)

I do hope the next one takes place after drift instead of before it. Feels like I've been waiting forever to find out what happens when Vin showed up in Tokyo to race Black. They should pick it up right at that moment, as they did something similiar at the start of Fast Five.
Old 05-01-11, 05:50 PM
Li

I agree with the comments that the trailers spoiled a lot of the really exciting moments. I knew where it would eventually lead to because of them. Thankfully they didn't ruin the entire train sequence.

This was definitely my favorite in the franchise. I have a soft spot for Tokyo Drift, for some reason.
Old 05-01-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Lots of people at the theater were really into it. There were lots of "dannngggs" and whatnot during the movie.

I have only seen 1, 2 and 5. I liked this one. The car culture doesn't really appeal to me. I can enjoy the action, but there wasn't very much for me to emotionally attach to. The leads are badasses, but also kind of douchey criminals. If there was anyone to identify with, it was Dwayne Johnson. But mostly just a bunch of awesome action. As a PG-13 action flick, it was pretty-much the best that it could have been. The filmakers know their escapism action sequences and handled them very well.

So how many innocent bystanders were killed during the safe scene? It reminded me of the Paris scene in GI Joe.
Old 05-01-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed the heck out of it. Great action, and love seeing all the characters back again with little nods to the previous movies, and the banter between characters and having each person have a little something to do was great. I was afraid it would be hard to juggle everyone, but it worked out.

The Rock was a bit stiff in the beginning, but then again everyone in these movies are more then mediocre as actors so it wasn't a big deal. And I wish the Vin/Rock fight was longer. Still, that and the final car chase was some of the most fun i've had watching stuff get destroyed up in awhile.

I'm surprised there are a good amount of people that missed entries in the theater; skipping Tokyo Drift isn't a big deal, but part's 2 and 4 round out the story in this one pretty well.

Also, I love Gal Gadot. I think her body is just fine
Old 05-01-11, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gal Gadot has a very pretty face. The rest of her body isn't bad, but it's not up to the level of the Brazilian chick, imo.
Old 05-01-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was she supposed to be Brazillian or Israeli (as in being Mossad)?
Old 05-01-11, 07:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gal Gadot is Israeli and was meant to Israeli. The policewoman was Brazilian.
Old 05-01-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think there's any chance Universal might be game for giving Hobbs a spin off movie, kind of like they did with Scorpion King? Johnson seems quite popular amongst the critics, and people who have seen the movie like him more than not.

I think a cool idea would be
Spoiler:
him tracking Letty and the end would be a segue into the next Fast movie. Maybe him reacting to a tip off that Dom is in an area.
Of course that would require a pretty fast move into production if they want to get the next installment out in two years like they did with this one.
Old 05-01-11, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, Dr. DVD that'd be a pretty damn cool premis. \ I'd rather have a movie w/ Hobbs doing his thing and kicking ass over giving a damn about wtf the Fast and the Furious gang is doing today. I don't give a damn about the characters...I liked the action...but could care less who was doing it. The Rock has charisma..and a fuck ton of screen presence for a flick like this. There's no way Toretto could win a fight against Hobbs. Fucker was a beast.
Old 05-01-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
yeah, Dr. DVD that'd be a pretty damn cool premis. \ I'd rather have a movie w/ Hobbs doing his thing and kicking ass over giving a damn about wtf the Fast and the Furious gang is doing today. I don't give a damn about the characters...I liked the action...but could care less who was doing it. The Rock has charisma..and a fuck ton of screen presence for a flick like this. There's no way Toretto could win a fight against Hobbs. Fucker was a beast.
I would be fine with Hobbs in a standalone story. I still think it should end as a segue to the new installment of Fast, but it could just a bit thing at the end. A Toretto re-match is a must, no matter what kind of movie in which it happens. Hell, they could always have Pacifier vs. Tooth Fairy if all else fell through!
Old 05-01-11, 09:12 PM

Do you think there's any chance Universal might be game for giving Hobbs a spin off movie, kind of like they did with Scorpion King? Johnson seems quite popular amongst the critics, and people who have seen the movie like him more than not.
As far back as January, producer Neal Moritz was fielding questions about Fast Five and beyond while promoting The Green Hornet.

Steve Weintraub with Collider interviewed Moritz where he recalled an interview he conducted with Johnson earlier in the year if the goal was for his Hobbs character to branch off into his own movie. Weintraub asked Moritz if he had already begun getting a script together.

His reply.

“No we have not started, but we are about to.”
Old 05-01-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I fucking loved this. By far my favorite of the series. Dwayne Johnson was amazing, and this was so damn fun from start to finish. I'd love to have a Hobbs spin-off, also.
Old 05-01-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Gal Gadot is Israeli and was meant to Israeli. The policewoman was Brazilian.
Maybe her height and slenderness made her stand out for the kingpin over all those bubble-butted Brazilian girls.
Old 05-01-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

at the Rock spinoff talk. I felt that it was setup during the whole film. It gave me a Tommy Lee Jones/Fugitive vibe. I'd be down for it. He was great as Hobbs.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Gal Gadot has a very pretty face. The rest of her body isn't bad, but it's not up to the level of the Brazilian chick, imo.
You know you'd smack that ass.
Old 05-01-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from seeing this afternoon and I loved it! As some have already said, it's easily the best of the series. So fucking good. I'm amazed how much Justin Lin has grown as a director over the years. There was some insane stunt/driving sequences in this movie. Literally half of downtown Rio was destroyed. Universal absolutely 100% must bring have back to do the 6th installment and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes an in demand action movie director after the shit he pulled off in this movie.

Also, I loved Hobbs. Thought he was a great adversary to Dom and the team. Johnson was great in the role and I didn't think he was the weakest link at all.

The bonus sequence was great:

Spoiler:
Very surprised to see Eva Mendes return as Monica and tell Hobbs that Letty is still alive. With Dom being in Tokyo at the end of Tokyo drift, I hope they can find a way to segway into the 6th film and make this revelation work as far as how much time has passed. It would be nice if Monica would return since she knows Brian, but they absolutely need Hobbs again in the next movie.
Old 05-01-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

As far as the Hobbs spinoff talks goes. I think they need to wait until after the 6th film is done since:

Spoiler:
His entire team from this film is dead. You could make Hobbs go solo in the next film or team up with Monica and a smaller fill-in team, but they need to re-cast a new team with some known actors.
Old 05-01-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You know you'd smack that ass.
Smack it? Or just grab it?
Old 05-01-11, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got back from seeing this afternoon and I loved it! As some have already said, it's easily the best of the series. So fucking good. I'm amazed how much Justin Lin has grown as a director over the years. There was some insane stunt/driving sequences in this movie. Literally half of downtown Rio was destroyed. Universal absolutely 100% must bring have back to do the 6th installment and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes an in demand action movie director after the shit he pulled off in this movie.
Could be happening already. I wiki'd him and saw this:

"On the 27th of April, he was announced as being the director for the next installment of the Terminator series, with the CAA as being the new distributors and potentially Arnold Schwarzenegger back in the role as The Terminator. [3]"
Old 05-02-11, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the action scenes. The middle dragged a bit, but the action scenes and set pieces were nothing short of amazing.
Old 05-02-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So, it's obvious with the the new Charger, GT-R and LFA in the movie that this takes place now. So, to me it makes Tokyo Drift look odd with the cars with 2006 technology. So, when the next installment is made and they take the characters to events after TD it would be hard to overlook that all of the sudden the cars are modern again. And if they don't go that route and make another movie with events before TD; it moves the events of TD even further back and put the vehicles totally out of place. To the casual person who isn't into cars it wouldn't be a big deal and most likely not notice the discrepancies, but if you are it might bother you a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.