Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast Five (Fast & Furious 5) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/11

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Fast Five?
Loved it! Bring on the sequel
60.00%
Thought it was good, not great.
17.50%
Meh. It was just alright
6.25%
Didn't hate it, but was disappointed
0%
Thought it sucked.
1.25%
Not interested in seeing this. I was drawn to this thread by unknown forces
8.75%
Will wait until home video to see it. Too lazy/cheap to see it in theatres.
6.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Fast Five (Fast & Furious 5) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Do you think there's any chance Universal might be game for giving Hobbs a spin off movie, kind of like they did with Scorpion King? Johnson seems quite popular amongst the critics, and people who have seen the movie like him more than not.

I think a cool idea would be
Spoiler:
him tracking Letty and the end would be a segue into the next Fast movie. Maybe him reacting to a tip off that Dom is in an area.
Of course that would require a pretty fast move into production if they want to get the next installment out in two years like they did with this one.
Your wish was granted before you made it. The reason the Rock signed onto this movie is because they promised him his own spin-off franchise.
Old 05-02-11, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

Originally Posted by mrhan
So, it's obvious with the the new Charger, GT-R and LFA in the movie that this takes place now. So, to me it makes Tokyo Drift look odd with the cars with 2006 technology. So, when the next installment is made and they take the characters to events after TD it would be hard to overlook that all of the sudden the cars are modern again. And if they don't go that route and make another movie with events before TD; it moves the events of TD even further back and put the vehicles totally out of place. To the casual person who isn't into cars it wouldn't be a big deal and most likely not notice the discrepancies, but if you are it might bother you a bit.
at continuity in this series.
Old 05-02-11, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh. Just say Han is a twin and their parents gave them both the same name cos they couldn't be bothered to think up different names for them.

Or call the cars in Tokyo Drift "vintage".
Old 05-02-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
To the casual person who isn't into cars it wouldn't be a big deal and most likely not notice the discrepancies
That's the camp I'm in...
Old 05-02-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got back from seeing this afternoon and I loved it! As some have already said, it's easily the best of the series. So fucking good. I'm amazed how much Justin Lin has grown as a director over the years. There was some insane stunt/driving sequences in this movie. Literally half of downtown Rio was destroyed. Universal absolutely 100% must bring have back to do the 6th installment and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes an in demand action movie director after the shit he pulled off in this movie.
Just funny to me that Lin started out by financing his own movie (Better Luck Tomorrow) and is now in charge of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Kind of good to see that, moving forward, we have at least one younger (37) director than can put together quality action scenes.

He also directed my favorite episode of Community (Modern Warfare).
Old 05-02-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And he's set to direct the next Terminator...
Old 05-02-11, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Just funny to me that Lin started out by financing his own movie (Better Luck Tomorrow) and is now in charge of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Kind of good to see that, moving forward, we have at least one younger (37) director than can put together quality action scenes.

He also directed my favorite episode of Community (Modern Warfare).
that's my fav too.

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
And he's set to direct the next Terminator...
which i'm iffy on, not cuz of Lin though. Just...Terminator franchise hasn't had a good story since 2.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Your wish was granted before you made it. The reason the Rock signed onto this movie is because they promised him his own spin-off franchise.
Fuck yes...
Old 05-02-11, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I have learned from the franchise though is that Vin Diesel beating the crap out of you will somehow make you his friend, and will even make you throw away your badge to embrace his loving family of carjackers, smugglers and thieves. Fast Five does the same thing. It beats you senseless with its crescent wrench of rampant stupidity to the point where you stop caring about logic, reason and pesky things like physics.
Old 05-02-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was funny when

Spoiler:
The Rock and his crew first went up to the favela and stared down the kids guarding the stairs. If those were the kids in "The City of God" they would have fucked him up. Shit, in real life cops are afraid to go up there.
Old 05-02-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Fast Five does the same thing. It beats you senseless with its crescent wrench of rampant stupidity to the point where you stop caring about logic, reason and pesky things like physics.
And your point is?
Old 05-02-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
And your point is?
That the movie works despite it being just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Old 05-02-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

One thing that I didn't get, why didn't Hobbs track Turetto's car the first time he went out racing, to win the blue Porshe(?). It was clear it was in place at that point, but they didn't use the tracker until later when Turetto decided to get caught/buy some time.
Old 05-02-11, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
One thing that I didn't get, why didn't Hobbs track Turetto's car the first time he went out racing, to win the blue Porshe(?). It was clear it was in place at that point, but they didn't use the tracker until later when Turetto decided to get caught/buy some time.
fuck you and your logic!

no honestly...this thing is probably something could fit into the bad script, good movie thread. Cuz..honestly...imagine reading it.
Old 05-02-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Onion had it write with their interview with "Chris Morgan" but damn if it wasn't fun.
Old 05-02-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Smack it? Or just grab it?
why smack it or grab it when you can BANG it
Old 05-02-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While I haven't seen Tokyo Drift, from what I have read the logical thing to do would be to have the next one take place after it. That way
Spoiler:
Dom could show up with Lucas Black's character as an addition to the team. Put everyone else from this one together with that and you have an ultimate series finale.
Old 05-02-11, 07:00 PM
Banned

Am I the only one who'd enjoy Hobbs getting Dom's gang and beating the crap out of him and bam they're all locked up...end of the movie and franchise? Granted...logically that'd be hard to write a story like that for this franchise..but...I'd like to see it.
Old 05-02-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Am I the only one who'd enjoy Hobbs getting Dom's gang and beating the crap out of him and bam they're all locked up...end of the movie and franchise? Granted...logically that'd be hard to write a story like that for this franchise..but...I'd like to see it.
That wouldn't be a "satisfying" ending for anybody.

Our characters have to either...

> Die (and in the chronological order of things, some of them have already passed).

OR

> Ride off into the sunset.

Based off the fact that this entry already grossed $167,598,765 internationally within a week (give or take), I don't see Universal ending this franchise in the foreseeable future due to its new found force of life.

For starters, before Fast Five, Fast & Furious had the highest worldwide gross of $353,241,873. Before that? 2 Fast 2 Furious (in 2003) with $236,350,661.
Old 05-02-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, you are the only one in the entire world to think this...

I liked the way it was handled.
Old 05-02-11, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
That wouldn't be a "satisfying" ending for anybody.
Spoiler:
I thought that the ending was perfect, before the Oceans 11 style twist. I thought it was ballsy. It was a nice "crime doesn't pay" ending with some irony. But I guess that they were stealing from criminals. Whatever.
Old 05-02-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Spoiler:
I thought that the ending was perfect, before the Oceans 11 style twist. I thought it was ballsy. It was a nice "crime doesn't pay" ending with some irony. But I guess that they were stealing from criminals. Whatever.
I liked that myself, and was thinking the same thing, ballsy way to end it...however,

Spoiler:
with the twist it would have been fitting to give the money to the people. Sure they are stealing $100mil from the baddie, but ultimately they are stealing it from the people he took it from first. Sure, none of them are righteous enough to give the money way, but they did make a big deal about how oppressed the people were and how Dom 'felt' for them through the female cop.

but, it works either way and was still entertaining.

It is kinda odd to have a, now 5 film deep, franchise built around rooting for the bad guys.
Old 05-02-11, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I feel the ending would've "worked" if the twist never happened and the gang had to go on the run without the money. In terms of tone, it would've been thematically close to the ending of the first film where Brian and Dom are both separately on the run.
Old 05-03-11, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

You're probably one of the few, given that you've made your distaste for the other characters and the rest of these movies apparent already. However i'd say the huge success of the last two movies is because everyone else loves seeing all the characters back, and ending it like that would be dreadful.
Old 05-03-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed it, but it isn't so much a fast and furious movie as it is a heist movie now... Get heist, plan heist, pull off heist, credits.

I loved the movies that do this to see how they pull them off, but some might not like how it has shifted so much in the last 2 movies.
Old 05-03-11, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First two movies were about the cars.... now its about the heist

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.