DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Fast Five (Fast & Furious 5) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/11 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/590197-fast-five-fast-furious-5-reviews-comments-thread-opens-4-29-11-a.html)

Boba Fett 04-29-11 09:54 PM

Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

I went expecting a goofy movie, that was hopefully a good mix between the goofiness of the original and action of the fourth.

My jaw was on the floor by the end of the movie. It was an honestly entertaining, well-executed, fun action movie. They payed enough homage to the roots of the series in street racing, but wisely focused on a plot that allowed for much more thrilling set pieces. It wasn't high art, but the writing was strong enough for what it was and the cast was all solid, and Johnson cements his status as a legit badass. I think as tough and focused as he was in FASTER, his take on Hobbs put his previous effort to shame. Tyrese reminded me why he made 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS tolerable, and when he spouted his "catchphrase" of that film, "I'm hongry!" I and a few other people in the theater got a big laugh.

The movie, in my book, sets the bar for summer action and fun very high and after this movie followed a new TRANSFORMERS trailer, I dare say Justin Lin out Michael Bay'd, Michael Bay, but in a very good way.

An unapologetic A+ (4.5/5) from me.

RocShemp 04-29-11 09:55 PM

Re: Fast Five (Fast & Furious Five) -- The Reviews and Comments Thread -- Opens 4/29/

What happens after the credits is
Spoiler:
Eva Mendez brings a dossier to the Rock about an armoured (military?) convoy that was recently assaulted. The person who led the assault is none other that Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) who didn't really die during the events of Fast & Furious.

Boba Fett 04-29-11 09:56 PM

POST CREDITS SCENE:
Spoiler:
Hobbs is working at his desk late one night an Eva Mendes (the agent from 2 FAST 2 FURIOUS walks up). She says she has a case he might want. He asks if it's Toretto, and when she says, "no," he's not interested. She pushes the folder in front of him and insists he look. It's a military hijacking case in Europe and the surveillance photos show the suspect is Letty (Michelle Rodriguez). Mendes says, "Believe in ghosts?"

CaptainMarvel 04-29-11 10:01 PM

Thanks!

Spoiler:
Damn, so Eva Mendes is in this too then, technically. How the hell do you have a movie with Jordana Brewster and have her be the 4th hottest? Elsa Pataky :drool: Gal Gadot :drool:

I enjoyed the holy hell out of this movie, as dumb as it is. Surviving a dive off a cliff? Police cars with manual transmissions? Who cares? This movie was a helluva good time.

Patman 04-30-11 12:40 AM

More Elsa Pataky, please. She's hot.

tylergfoster 04-30-11 01:04 AM

Gal Gadot has a nice attitude but she's too skinny. Jordana Brewster as well.

I thought it was fun, but as with everything these days, I wish the trailers hadn't given so much away. I guess on one hand, the cliff jump and safe drag are the things that guaranteed Universal's bottom line this weekend, but I can only think of how much cooler it'd be if I hadn't known those things were gonna happen. The stinger was the one thing even the critics all said "it's great!" but refused to reveal what it was, and that was one of the highlights for me.

FYI, if it was really at the end of the credits, when I saw it today, it came directly after the "major" credits (with the CG racing behind them). Interesting to think that they moved it up because so few people were staying and seeing it.

Patman 04-30-11 08:38 AM

Fast Five is a briskly paced, entertaining movie that delivers on the legacy of previous installments of the Fast and the Furious franchise. Bringing in players from the previous four films, filling in the past histories between one another, the plot is straight forward, but the path has a lot of turns and curves to it. Each character in a sprawling cast has their moment to shine (some for just a bit, but overall good cast chemistry).

Running on fumes in the beginning, Dom, Mia and Brian take on a gig, which goes somewhat badly for them as far as staying off the wanted list, and that brings Hobbes (The Rock) and his crew after them in Brazil. Pretty soon, an opportunity manifests itself for the gang to make one last score and then disappear. This requires additional personnel, and together they plan and plot and practice, while Hobbes continues to hunt them down.

Going into this kind of film, you know what you're in for, but they continue to up the ante in car driving stunts, and entertain its audience.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.

Dr. DVD 04-30-11 03:15 PM

Saw it. Definitely a fun movie, and definitely does more than just tread over old territory, this one actually felt like a real action movie than an excuse to show racing. While others might not have liked him, I loved Johnson in this one. His time in WWE definitely helped for his scenes with Diesel, and not just the ones involving fights.
I thought, given the cast, this was meant (and definitely could be) the grand finale of the series. However, given what happened in the post credits, it's obvious this was a precursor to it. I am fine with another , but only if they can get this entire cast back together and add:

Spoiler:
more Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez (guess they'll kind of have to), and Lucas Black, to kind of give it that feeling of completion.

Dr. DVD 04-30-11 03:15 PM

Saw it. Definitely a fun movie, and definitely does more than just tread over old territory, this one actually felt like a real action movie than an excuse to show racing. While others might not have liked him, I loved Johnson in this one. His time in WWE definitely helped for his scenes with Diesel, and not just the ones involving fights.
I thought, given the cast, this was meant (and definitely could be) the grand finale of the series. However, given what happened in the post credits, it's obvious this was a precursor to it. I am fine with another , but only if they can get this entire cast back together and add:

Spoiler:
more Eva Mendes, Michelle Rodriguez (guess they'll kind of have to), and Lucas Black, to kind of give it that feeling of completion.

FantasticVSDoom 04-30-11 04:34 PM

cant really add anything new but I loved it... Great action thrill ride and eagerly anticipate the new one. Agree that Brewster could stand to add a few pounds but she's still smoking, and this is the kind of shit the Rock should be doing. I may actually go see this one again.

jdslater1 04-30-11 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster (Post 10749221)
Anyone else hear it referred to as The Fast and the Furious 5 during a TV spot today? I thought I did, but I was wondering if my ears were playing tricks on me.

Here in the UK it's called "Fast and the Furious 5:Rio Heist".
It's called that so when we look at a poster of Vin Deisal and Paul Walker in front of a car we don't get confused with another franchise!

But when the BBFC rating card is on the screen is says Fast Five.

Solid Snake 04-30-11 05:25 PM

I didn't beleive but i googled it..yep.

does your trailers say the same thing...if so..find one for me...I can't find one.

Boba Fett 04-30-11 05:44 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H4ZQSZdtxN...ive+banner.jpg

d2cheer 04-30-11 05:54 PM

Wow... I don't know where to start this was so much fucking fun I can't even begin!!! All of the nods to the other films etc... this is how you do a sequel. I am not sure how you top this but maybe the nod in the end credits will be how. One little remark by Han about getting to Tokyo eventually was just awesome.

This will be the first movie I see again in the theater since Spider-man and before that it was Escape from New York. So I really don't see them again much but this was just so great it needs another viewing before I buy the blu.

Solid Snake 04-30-11 07:26 PM

jesus you're old..or maybe EfNY was playing again at some point..

edstein 04-30-11 08:04 PM

I've only seen 1 and 3. Do I really need to see the other 2 to enjoy this movie?

DJariya 04-30-11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by edstein (Post 10750464)
I've only seen 1 and 3. Do I really need to see the other 2 to enjoy this movie?

Wait a second, according to my poll you said you have no interest in seeing this. ;) Change of heart?

tylergfoster 04-30-11 08:31 PM

All of the film's callbacks to the other movies are basically the presence of characters and/or character-related beats, so I would say no, seeing the others is not necessary. There is not really any overarching plot through the series.

FantasticVSDoom 04-30-11 09:51 PM

Dont need to see the others to enjoy the film. Really only makes certain scenes better, but the film is still fun regardless...

edstein 04-30-11 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 10750475)
Wait a second, according to my poll you said you have no interest in seeing this. ;) Change of heart?

Yeah. All these good reviews have started to push me over to the "must see" category.

RocShemp 04-30-11 11:12 PM

I had a lot of fun with this and it definitely dethroned 2 Fast 2 Furious as my favourite film in the franchise. However, I had a few complaints. The hotty factor was seriously lacking. Of the leads, the best looking girl overall was Elsa Pataky and, quite franky, she's only average. Jordana Brewster was never all that and she looked positively skeletal in this. Gal Gadot looks great from the neck up (very pretty face). But from the neck down, she makes Yvonne Strahovski look positively voluptuous. And she had the most laughable tracking ass shot since Joan Allen in Face/Off. In fact, all the ass shots were disappointing. The movie takes place in Brazil and we get a bunch of tiny asses and no babes in g-strings? Bullshit. The best ass in the movie belonged to
Spoiler:
Eva Mendes
and that shot was incredibly short.

Also, the whole subplot between Han and Gisele was pointless and makes me wonder if they'll off her between movies since they keep insisting that Tokyo Drift does (eventually) happen.

Finally, the way the fight between Toretto and Hobbs played out was total bullshit.
Spoiler:
Short of Hobbs sliping on a banana peel, no way Toretto would have ever gotten the upper hand over that massive beast.

Other than those gripes, I loved the film from beginning to end and eagerly look forward to the next movie. This should sound fantastic on BD.

CaptainMarvel 04-30-11 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10750715)
The hotty factor was seriously lacking. Of the leads, the best looking girl overall was Elsa Pataky and, quite franky, she's only average.

-screwy-

RocShemp 04-30-11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 10750748)
-screwy-

It's not that I find her ugly (because she's not ugly). I just think she's nothing to write home about (not even in person).

glassdragon 04-30-11 11:41 PM

I really liked this one, was pretty well written. Sure there were some really unbelievable scenes, but really, we knew those would be there, wouldn't be a F&F without them. I am anxiously awaiting the next one that is pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Spoiler:
Seriously though, fuck rodriguez for bailing on the franchise and then getting them to write her back in. It could have been a contractual thing that conflicted, if so, then I take back this statement, but if it's because she was bailing on the franchise then fuck her, i hope they kill her off in the next one too within 5 minutes

RocShemp 04-30-11 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon (Post 10750775)
I really liked this one, was pretty well written. Sure there were some really unbelievable scenes, but really, we knew those would be there, wouldn't be a F&F without them. I am anxiously awaiting the next one that is pretty much guaranteed to happen.

Spoiler:
Seriously though, fuck rodriguez for bailing on the franchise and then getting them to write her back in. It could have been a contractual thing that conflicted, if so, then I take back this statement, but if it's because she was bailing on the franchise then fuck her, i hope they kill her off in the next one too within 5 minutes

Spoiler:
Didn't they just kill her off for shock value? She was pretty prominently advertised in all the promotional materials so it's not like she ever disowned the franchise.