Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (dir. John Hyams) >> 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shooting is about to begin on a fourth (well, technically sixth) Universal Soldier movie in Baton Rouge. Cast include returning leads Jean Claude Van Damme, Dolph Lundgren and Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski, with Scott Adkins joining the fray. John Hyams (helmer of the previous installment) is directing.

The plot synopsis is yet to be revealed. Rumors that Michael Jai White would be in it are (apparently) untrue. Initial plans were to do the film in 3D and go theatrical, but who knows if Sony will follow through.

If you didn't see the last Universal Soldier, you should. It's not revolutionary, but it is a fun, hard-hitting action movie, and I'm excited to see what Hyams will do with a bigger budget and the presence of Adkins, who kicks all sorts of ass in the Undisputed sequels (more films you would not expect to be nearly as entertaining as they are).

Here's Brian's review, for reference: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41688...-regeneration/

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-28-11 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
re: Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (dir. John Hyams) >> 2012

That is awesome they making another sequel!

Van Damme rocks!
Old 04-27-11, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope Dolph has more screen time than he did in the last one.
Old 04-27-11, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One of the best action movies of the past 10 years (yes, I am serious).

I hope the 3d angle won't ruin it. Bummed to see MJW isn't involved, but adding Adkins is a smart move.
Old 04-28-11, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

takes a while for the pacing to steady out but once the UniSols are active..it's damn fun. REALLY loved what was it? like the last 30 mins of the film? Awesome action.
Old 04-28-11, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i had a lot of fun with the last installment thus i am all for this. Dolph stole every scene he was in not only in this but The Expendables as well, so more Dolph please!
Old 04-28-11, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The title is Universal Solder: New Dimension according to JCVD's facebook page.
Old 04-28-11, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am skeptical that title will stick/is legit, but if it does/is, it makes it sound like it'll be in 3D after all.
Old 04-28-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

That title's been know for quite some time. It was announced shortly after the last film became a hit. I wonder if they're still gonna go through with the 3D plans. I also wonder how they could make it work. Part of what was so refreshing about the last film was how straight forward the action sequences were. The camera work was relaxed and all the razzle-dazzle came from the asskicking we were witnessing.
Old 04-28-11, 08:08 PM
Banned

my only issue w/ the camera work in the last one is actually the camera itself. The Red One being an HD cam...just kind of blurs a bit too much for my taste when fists and legs start getting thrown about. Actually that's my issue w/ HDs in general...they're getting better though. So yay!
Old 04-30-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here's a note (on the movie's official fb) with some quotes from Hyams, which also confirms the title and that the movie is still being shot in 3D.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/univer...17811201563634
Old 04-30-11, 10:05 PM
Banned

for the lazy...
"This is from a few weeks back."

I spent a good part of today working with production designer Nate Jones, discussing design concepts for US4. Unlike US3, which was basically a location shoot, this one will involve a number of sets to be built, due to size of the 3D rigs, that call for larger spaces and removable walls. This allows us to design the sets to fit the action, instead of the other way around, which is nice. Still, this one will be an incredible challenge -- to shoot this amount of action in 3D on a tight schedule will require great preparation. We don't have the luxury of figuring things out on the set. Everyone will have to be extremely prepared.

Stylistically, I'm planning on staging some action that plays out in long takes, where things transpire without cuts.
In many ways, it's not just an action film -- it has horror elements, and also plays like a psychological thriller. It has a very dark, menacing tone. I want it to be an extremely intense experience for the viewer -- one that literally beats the shit out of the audience.

As far as 3D is concerned, I still feel like Avatar did it better than anyone else, and it's not just because of the big budget. I feel like Cameron used 3D to make the experience more visceral, but he did it without gimmickry. Instead of having things pop out at the viewer, he created an environment that you could look into. I plan on taking that approach -- no gimmicks, no arrows flying at the camera. I want it to be another element of the overall design -- something that enhances the experience but doesn't draw attention to itself and take away from the story."

Some more info

"I've been extremely busy preparing for the shoot. But, yes, Scott Adkins is one of the stars of the film, and I feel we're incredibly lucky to have him at this stage of his career. Andrei is back as well in a role we wrote specifically for him, and I'm equally excited to have him. I loved what he did in Regeneration, and I wanted to work with him again. None of this diminishes JC or DL's contributions to the film -- I feel these guys will only enhance the product as a whole, which is all I care about. The story is of my own creation, and, as I've told you before, in no way was dictated by anyone's schedule. It's the story I want to tell and it's designed to move, terrify and thrill the audience in the most intense way possible. I think it's going to be great and I'm unbelievably excited to work with everyone involved."
So far I'm liking on what he's saying. Good luck in getting the 3D right cuz I'll admit...if this worked for this film....I'd soooo be there.
Old 04-30-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like the way John Hyams thinks. And it seems he's using 3D as just another tool in his bag of tricks rather than the main gimmick.
Old 05-01-11, 01:38 AM
Banned

I just finished watching US3 again...fuck...that's an awesome last 40 or so minutes. Great stunts and action for sure. Makes me a bit sad though that I could tell when JCVD or DL were using a double..yeah they're older but...it bothered me when I watched it...it doesn't affect the quality of it the fights though. Great shit.

again...whether he gets that 3D aspect to work or not..I'm there. I'm watching this bad motherfucker. If it works though...for an action film like this...oh man...it's going to be pretty damn cool.
Old 05-01-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hyams also dropped into a Van Damme forum to give some vague hints at the story:
Originally Posted by John Hyams
"As for whether or not this film has anything to do with US3, I disagree with Sheldon's assertions, I think it absolutely has do do with Regeneration. It picks up where the mythology of that film left off. It just takes place years later and is told from a completely different perspective. It never directly references that film, or any of the other films for that matter, but it doesn't need to. If you're familiar with the series than it will make sense. If you're not familiar it will still make sense. It's a stand alone movie as much as it is part of the series, but that's just my personal taste. I tried to do that with Regeneration and I'm trying to do that again. I think, with a few exceptions, that a movie should always be able to stand on its own."
Old 05-01-11, 11:37 AM
Banned

Man...he just keeps saying what I like. Stop it already, Hyams. You're hyping it up for me to much in too little time. I want this bitch to rock my fucking world.
Old 05-02-11, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to see this regardless, but adding Adkins makes this a can't fucking wait.
Old 05-06-11, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I was going to see this regardless, but adding Adkins makes this a can't fucking wait.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eDMlV9vYpuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 05-06-11, 10:33 PM
Banned

While I've known and admired Adkins' skills....I can't bear watching most of the films he's in. I wanted to like the Undisputed film...but the set up tot he fights was too much for me. Fights are solid just....what they call a story is was too cheese for me.
Old 02-27-12, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We have a plot summary (courtesy of The Film Catalogue!

In a world without government, surviving Unisols (Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren) must battle anarchy and build a new order ruled by Unisols, weeding out the weak and testing their strongest warriors in brutal, life-and-death combat.
And here's an interview with Dolph Lundgren:

I spoke to Dolph Lundgren earlier in the week about all his upcoming projects, including The Expendables 2, Skin Trade & One In The Chamber.

I will post the full interview later in the week so check back for more Dolph. In the meanwhile check out what Dolph Lundgren had to say about the highly anticipated Universal Soldier: A New Dimension directed by John Hyamns.

John Hyamn’s shot it all in 3D, it was another smaller role it’s a really nice one actually it turned out I think quite good. I havn’t done 3D movies before but it was fun.

It’s the kind of thing where the experience of the character with these big speeches, rallying the troops the sort of Universal soldiers ‘Once more upon the breach my friends’ *laughs* I don’t know how it’s gonna turn out but it looked good when I saw some of the stuff they shot.

I had to fight both Andrei Arlovski and Scott Adkins, unfortunately not Micheal Jai White but Scott’s a good guy and I like him a lot and Arlovski of course is a heavy hitter, so that’s always interesting when you fight him.

I asked Dolph whether the film would be heading to cinemas due to the fact it was filmed in 3d.

I hope so yeah, the movie is hard R, John Hyamn, I’ve got to hand it to him he didnt pull any punches when it comes to blood and gore it’s really very very bloody and brutal. There was so much blood everywhere that I had a rash on my face for 2 weeks after and all over my body too, there was just so much theatrical blood it was really cool!
Dolph’s overall opinion on the movie?

It’s more thought out than the last movie, John had more money to work with and it’s even more violent.
John Hyamns also had lots of postive things to say about Dolphs performance in the movie he revealed in a brief exchange earlier with me.

I think everyone will be very happy with Dolph’s contributions to the film. He didn’t pull any punches either!
Sounds like exactly what fans of the franchise are after! Universal Soldier: A New Dimension stars Dolph Lundgren, Jean Claude Van Damme, Scott Adkins and is directed by John Hyamns and is set for release next summer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SMS-JZgyTak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUL_uK9t8lo?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUL_uK9t8lo?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Old 02-27-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Michael Jai White in this one? Dolph mentions that he didn't get to fight him.
Old 02-27-12, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Is Michael Jai White in this one? Dolph mentions that he didn't get to fight him.
My first thought as well.

I LOVED the last one but this one doesn't quite sound as good.
Old 02-27-12, 04:11 PM
Banned

yeah...that synopsis has got me worried. It might be a bit....too crazy.
Old 02-27-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For some reason, the synopsis makes me think of Cyborg. I don't mean that as a complement.
Old 07-31-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Here's a clip of Dolph in the new Universal Soldier flick, with added commentary by Dolph. This is from his Facebook page.

"John Hyams had written a very interesting character for me in the 3D version of the "Universal Soldier" franchise, which lured me back from the dead for a second time. Sgt. Scott is the spiritual leader of a new order of government-manipulated soldiers who now are back in control of their minds and heading for world domination. Especially a 5-page sermon to the troops with a 'Marc Anthony/General Patton' feel was a real challenge to rehearse and shoot."
/ Dolph

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING (3D) will premiere at the Fantasy Filmfest touring in Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Cologne & Nuremberg between August 21 - September 13!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.