Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Any films that you were dying to see for years and ended up being disappointed with?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Any films that you were dying to see for years and ended up being disappointed with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Any films that you were dying to see for years and ended up being disappointed wi

As a big Kubrick fan, I was so eager and filled with anticipation for Eyes Wide Shut (which I had been following for years during development), and to a lesser extent for A.I. Both films were terrible and borderline unwatchable.
I know there's been a backlash to the backlash and there's a school of thought that it's actually a misunderstood masterpiece. But that's wrong -- the movie is a piece of self-indulgent shit. It does the near-impossible of making sex boring.
Old 11-03-13, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Any films that you were dying to see for years and ended up being disappointed wi

Originally Posted by Decker
As a big Kubrick fan, I was so eager and filled with anticipation for Eyes Wide Shut (which I had been following for years during development), and to a lesser extent for A.I. Both films were terrible and borderline unwatchable.
I know there's been a backlash to the backlash and there's a school of thought that it's actually a misunderstood masterpiece. But that's wrong -- the movie is a piece of self-indulgent shit. It does the near-impossible of making sex boring.
Well I disagree but that's just my opinion. I believe time will show that Eyes Wide Shut is one of Kubrick's best films.
Old 11-03-13, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Well I disagree but that's just my opinion. I believe time will show that Eyes Wide Shut is one of Kubrick's best films.
Old 11-03-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Showgirls
While some might laugh, this was a case for me. Because of the Bible belt area where I lived for most of my childhood and early adult life, this movie came nowhere near us. Because the major chains in the area were Cinemark and Carmike, and they were the two predominant chains of the area (even in the nearby major city of Nashville), it played nowhere. Considering this was the first semester of my Freshman year and I wanted to prove to myself how much of a grown up I was (what a laugh to associate that with this movie), I really wanted to see it. It came out on video the last week of my holiday break that year and I rented it on that day. While I wasn't expecting it to be that good as others had seen it and said it was bad, I had NO idea it was this bad.
Granted, it's become somewhat of a guilty pleasure since then, but I couldn't even make it through my first viewing.
Old 11-03-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I was kinda iffy on Man of Steel until the 3rd trailer came out which turned me completely around on it. Although I still found it entertaining and have it pre-ordered on Amazon for release date delivery, I was ultimately disappointed in it and ended up seeing it only once in the theaters.
So naturally, he's going to buy it!
Old 11-03-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

He kinda has to
Old 11-03-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Own Private Idaho. The concept seemed interesting to me, but I found it a chore.
Old 11-03-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^What is "Donnacha", and how does one pronounce it? Is it a Jamaican girl expressing her contempt for someone named Donna?
Old 11-03-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's... weird. It's an Irish guy's name. "Donnacha". Like "Monica" with a D. And I stuck a "One" at the end.
Old 11-03-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Bridesmaids -- very overrated. Melissa McCarthy was good, but not THAT good.

2) A Nightmare on Elm Street -- I own the blu-ray set and recently picked up the complete DVD set for a buck. Decided to just pop in the first one on DVD. It was "OK", but to me just a slasher flick with a hook that could've been done a lot better.
Old 11-03-13, 05:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

@ Bridesmaids. The movie came out just 2 years ago.
Old 11-03-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That's... weird. It's an Irish guy's name. "Donnacha". Like "Monica" with a D. And I stuck a "One" at the end.
Ah, thanks. Why "weird"? You're practically begging to be joshed with your Location write-up. I've seen it for years but never bothered. Now I know and can die happy.