Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (3/11-3/13): Mars Needs Money

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (3/11-3/13): Mars Needs Money

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (3/11-3/13): Mars Needs Money

Originally Posted by Deftones
that's not what he said on Conan a last week. He said that was the plan initially, but they ended up using his voice afterall.
You can hear Green's original voice work in this trailer...

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALatJzzfiOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ALatJzzfiOU?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="349"></embed></object>

His voice was dubbed in the final film. It's credited to Seth Dusky.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUFCa94yOqQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HUFCa94yOqQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="349"></embed></object>
Old 03-12-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I'm just telling you what he said on Conan.
Old 03-12-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope Robert Zemeckis is finally finished with his mo cap kick, the stuff just looks plain strange, except when done for King Kong or Lord of the Rings or something like that, but I wish Zemeckis would get on with Roger Rabbit 2 or conventional movies. Don't know if it'll make back it $150 mil in world wide box office or not. Looks like lots of red ink for the red planet at this point.
Old 03-12-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am no Zemeckis apologist, but Disney messed up by changing the voice-work; Green's lines are much better in that they have a comic tone as opposed to some 9-year old who's playing it straight.
Old 03-12-11, 08:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I wouldn't say that...it's not like Tangled had any particularly famous names either.
I don't remember the opening weekend of 'How To Train Your Dragon' doing that well initially either and the downplaying of the character voice work. I saw the film opening weekend and for a Saturday afternoon screening, I thought the audience turn out was unimpressive - the word of mouth though helped Dragons' eventual BO draw and final numbers to an impressive culmination. However I don't see this happening for 'Mars Needs Mom' not to make brash off the cusp comment on a film I have yet to see, but alot of things from the trailer alone, make me cringe - the character of Gribbler being the most obvious.
Old 03-12-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HTTYD did over $40m OW, WOM pushed it past $200m. With an extremely soft sub-$10m opening for MNM, I'd say the best case scenario would be WOM pushing it past $25m.
Old 03-12-11, 08:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
HTTYD did over $40m OW, WOM pushed it past $200m. With an extremely soft sub-$10m opening for MNM, I'd say the best case scenario would be WOM pushing it past $25m.
WOM?

out of curiousity,what was the overall budget for 'Mars Needs Moms' ?
Old 03-12-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

word of mouth
Old 03-13-11, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
WOM?

out of curiousity,what was the overall budget for 'Mars Needs Moms' ?
The production budget was $150 million.

Throw in prints and advertising? Closer to $200 million. However, that may be overestimating. For example, the film has less than five 35mm prints of it floating around in Vegas as it's showing practically everywhere in digital only.
Old 03-13-11, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo
Hope Robert Zemeckis is finally finished with his mo cap kick, the stuff just looks plain strange, except when done for King Kong or Lord of the Rings or something like that, but I wish Zemeckis would get on with Roger Rabbit 2 or conventional movies.
He and his old writing partner (Bob Gale) should do a sequel or follow-up to TRESPASS (1992), arguably the best thing I've seen with Zemeckis' name on it. (Walter Hill directed it, but Zemeckis and Gale wrote the screenplay, with dialogue tweaking on the set by two of the stars, Ice T and Ice Cube.)
Old 03-13-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Is Yellow Submarine still happening?
Old 03-13-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Well...hate to say it, but that's what Disney gets when they reject assistance from Berke Breathed...the guy who wrote the damn book in the first place. Seems like "unexpected but nonetheless exciting" must translate to plain bad.

BREATHED: I've got nothing to do with "Mars Needs Moms" as a production. They declined my invitation to participate in development ... as well they should, in retrospect. They wanted freedom to re-invent. I granted. They went in an unexpected but nonetheless exciting direction with the movie.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47326
Old 03-15-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Is Yellow Submarine still happening?
Not anymore...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/198...arine-scuttled
Old 03-15-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Well...hate to say it, but that's what Disney gets when they reject assistance from Berke Breathed...the guy who wrote the damn book in the first place. Seems like "unexpected but nonetheless exciting" must translate to plain bad.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47326
Why would you give permission to do that? Obviously money is the answer, but that's sad. Apparently the developers of Uncharted don't have control since Sony has signed the rights away, but you see how much of a cluster that project is turning into. It will probably turn out like this.

What's puzzling is if you're going to make movie x with A, B, C plot, characters and themes why just make that as an original movie? Why buy the rights to something and twist it to your liking and put it out as something it's not. Same goes with the news of a Doom reboot. Just make an original film in space with guns and monsters. Surely branding of these lines can't have that much pull. Maybe it's just the people who make these decisions at the studios don't have a clue.
Old 03-15-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
What's puzzling is if you're going to make movie x with A, B, C plot, characters and themes why just make that as an original movie?
To be fair, most picture books are too light on plot to fill a feature length film, so things have to be added, meaning the existing story has to be altered.

Even the best picture book adaptations take liberties with the story and characters, like Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr Fox.