Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

47 Ronin (2013, Reeves)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

47 Ronin (2013, Reeves)

Old 12-09-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts
Re: 47 Ronin

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, for a minute there I had gotten confused and thought Keanu was directing this film. He's actually directing "Man of Tai Chi."

Carry on.
You know, I've been dismissing every ad I've seen of this assuming it was the Keanu directed movie. A couple of days ago it hit me that they were two different movies. This one looks decent. That Man of Tai Chi one looks absolutely terrible.
Old 12-09-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Man of Tai Chi = Best of the Best 2
Old 12-10-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man of Tai Chi got decent reviews, I'm a bit of a sucker for martial arts flicks, plus it has Iko and Yuen did the choreography. It could be fun. It was at my local AMC for like three days, I missed it, I'm waiting for it to hit the Redbox. I'll give it a chance.
Old 12-10-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Man of Tai Chi got decent reviews, I'm a bit of a sucker for martial arts flicks, plus it has Iko and Yuen did the choreography. It could be fun. It was at my local AMC for like three days, I missed it, I'm waiting for it to hit the Redbox. I'll give it a chance.
It's a very good movie. You'll likely enjoy it a great deal.
Old 12-10-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some guy over at IMDB (yeah, I know) claims to have seen 47 Ronin and stated that, despite the marketing, Keanu Reeves is in a supporting role and the actual lead is Hiroyuki Sanada.
Old 12-10-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw the first TV spot for this today, haven't been keeping up with the trailers, didn't know it was CG heavy. Looks like it's taking on a fantasy angle, I guess they figured they just couldn't sell it as a straight samurai flick. Interestingly, while I've seen a few chanbara here and there, I've never seen an adaptation of this. Kind of surprising. I know it's apparently quite a famous story in Japan. Is that Kikuchi in the trailer doing the sexy shtick?
Old 12-10-13, 11:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
That trailer makes it look like swords and sorcery in medieval Japan. That would go down about as well as Paul Revere and John Adams fighting warlocks would go down here. Starring a Japanese actor.
Fuck that sounds awesome. I had an idea years ago for an alternate history action movie where Virginia Woolf, instead of drowning herself due to her anxieties over WWII, instead goes to take down Hitler herself. The title was "Lone Woolf". I wish we had more films like that.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
"Koji Yakusho is America's only hope..."
Old 12-11-13, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Fuck that sounds awesome. I had an idea years ago for an alternate history action movie where Virginia Woolf, instead of drowning herself due to her anxieties over WWII, instead goes to take down Hitler herself. The title was "Lone Woolf". I wish we had more films like that.
Add "and Cub" to the title and we might have something. Maybe also give her a sword and have her trained by ninja.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Is that Kikuchi in the trailer doing the sexy shtick?
Yup, that's her.

And I think she (not that it's in English, heavy on the fantasy, or features Keanu Reeves in a prominent supporting role) is the real reason it bombed in Japan. The Japanese really hate Rinko Kikuchi.
Old 12-11-13, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
"Koji Yakusho is America's only hope..."
Koji Yakusho actually looks more like George Washington than any current American star.
Old 12-11-13, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Koji Yakusho actually looks more like George Washington than any current American star.
All kidding aside, I can totally see it:

Old 12-11-13, 12:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Add "and Cub" to the title and we might have something. Maybe also give her a sword and have her trained by ninja.
I've got to save something for the sequel, jeez.
Old 12-11-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I know is now I want Koji Yakusho to star as the lead in the prequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, called George Washington: Werewolf Slayer. Directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
Old 12-11-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sbRom1Rz8OA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-20-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Some guy over at IMDB (yeah, I know) claims to have seen 47 Ronin and stated that, despite the marketing, Keanu Reeves is in a supporting role and the actual lead is Hiroyuki Sanada.
I saw it tonight and I agree. He was BADASS!

Rinko was such a fox and so was the other babe. It was a really well crafted little action picture.

I'm hoping for an UNRATED or Extended version BD, because:

Spoiler:
The tattooed guy featured heavily in the marketing materials has only one line and makes no other appearances in the film. In the trailer he has two guns and a little action scene. Then again, I'm not surprised, because Universal usually puts out two versions for the home video market.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 12-20-13 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

All I know is now I want Koji Yakusho to do another film with Kiyoshi Kurosawa.
Fixed
Old 12-20-13, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw it tonight and I agree. He was BADASS!

Rinko was such a fox and so was the other babe. It was a really well crafted little action picture.

I'm hoping for an UNRATED or Extended version BD, because:

Spoiler:
The tattooed guy featured heavily in the marketing materials has only one line and makes no other appearances in the film. In the trailer he has two guns and a little action scene. Then again, I'm not surprised, because Universal usually puts out two versions for the home video market.
Glad to hear. Really looking forward to this.
Old 12-20-13, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be seeing it again. I gotta support the film. It's worth it.
Old 12-23-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My friend wrote up his review and also liked it. This is the cat I went to see the film with last week. Scott Mendelson, as well. He also gave it a favorable review.

"47 Ronin is an enjoyable hybrid period action/fantasy movie that was much better than I was expecting. Granted I am generally pretty satisfied with Keanu Reeves action movies, but a lot of the surprise came from how different this very expensive movie played out. Along with putting the money on screen, this is a film that is very much inspired by samurai films and strives to play like one, in terms of its pacing and devotion to portraying the notion of honor. With that, the film also blends into other genres as well, most notably a swashbuckling adventure, with some fantasy elements thrown in for good measure. All of this made for a fun film that felt unlike a lot of expensive action films like it, especially given that its main star is really a supporting character. It is just too bad it will likely make next to nothing in theaters."

http://whysoblu.com/47-ronin-movie-review/
Old 12-24-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ouch

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/62880/47-ronin-3d/
Old 12-24-13, 09:29 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's getting ripped to pieces on Rotten Tomatoes. Just fucking torn into little bits.
Old 12-24-13, 09:58 AM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

My son and I are excited to see this this weekend!
Old 12-24-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://latino-review.com/2013/12/film-review-47-ronin/

Just the highlights :

47 Ronin

....47 Ronin reeks of a smug movie studio think-tank getting together to brainstorm about what cash-cow films and franchises that were or are hot at the moment and how they could possibly capitalize on their success. Throw some swashbuckling fun in there from Pirates of the Caribbean, throw in some stylized mythology-based action like 300, throw in some weird fantasy elements like The Lord of the Rings trilogy, maybe some outsider heroic backstory like in Gladiator, and then you have your generic Star Wars-inspired hero’s journey mumbo jumbo and bada-bing bada-boom you make your boatloads of money. At least they thought they’d make their boatloads of money. This movie is so thematically disjointed, tonally unstable, laboriously paced, and is a complete mockery of the revered real-life story of the forty-seven ronin upon which it is based. It’s complete garbage, borderline racist, and one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.......

.....This was a tough one, folks. I’ve seen a lot of stinkers but for some reason this one was an absolute insult even to the stinkers. Sometimes I see a bad movie and say to myself I never want to see that again, and then maybe I come across it on TV and give it a second shot or whatever. But 47 Ronin is a movie I will actively try not to see again for the sake of my intelligence and sanity. I kept thinking of other overblown and sort-of-idiosyncratic adaptations of myths and stories like the pathetic 2003 movie version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Bryan Singer’s unbearable Jack The Giant Slayer from earlier this year, but at least those showed some semblance of creativity however intolerable the final product was. 47 Ronin desperately tries to make you think it’s creative and epic and distinctive, yet it’s anything but.

Rating: F
Old 12-24-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really wanted to see this, but I've only heard a handful of positive reviews. This is getting shredded on RT. I may just way for it to come to Redbox.
Old 12-24-13, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still waiting for Man of Tai Chi to come to Redbox, I don't know what's taking them so long. Is 47 Ronin the director's first film? What did he come out of, commercials or music videos or something like that?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 12-24-13 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-26-13, 11:25 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

My friend wrote up his review and also liked it. This is the cat I went to see the film with last week. Scott Mendelson, as well. He also gave it a favorable review.

"47 Ronin is an enjoyable hybrid period action/fantasy movie that was much better than I was expecting. Granted I am generally pretty satisfied with Keanu Reeves action movies, but a lot of the surprise came from how different this very expensive movie played out. Along with putting the money on screen, this is a film that is very much inspired by samurai films and strives to play like one, in terms of its pacing and devotion to portraying the notion of honor. With that, the film also blends into other genres as well, most notably a swashbuckling adventure, with some fantasy elements thrown in for good measure. All of this made for a fun film that felt unlike a lot of expensive action films like it, especially given that its main star is really a supporting character. It is just too bad it will likely make next to nothing in theaters."

http://whysoblu.com/47-ronin-movie-review/
My son and I caught a $5 twilight screening this afternoon... and the theater was packed (very few seats left in a larger theater).

I agree with the summary above, we enjoyed it. Quite a bit... not enough that I'm considering purchasing the bluray, but I did like the movie for what it was.

I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see the Ronin take down
Spoiler:
the giant metal samurai... the blast that did seemed like a cheap shot.

I'd recommend a matinee if anything. You might like it... if you're like me and not super critical of movies.

Grade: B-

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.