Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Descendants (2011, D: Alexander Payne) - Clooney, Woodley

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Was just rewatching Sideways which led me to wonder when the next Alexander Payne feature would be coming. This is is, listed as being in post-production.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1033575/

Matt King is an indifferent husband and father of two girls forced to re-examine his past and embrace his future when his wife suffers a boating accident off of Waikiki. The event leads to a rapprochement with his young daughters while Matt wrestles with a decision to sell the family's land handed down from Hawaiian royalty and missionaries.
Some additional plot elements include discovering that his wife had been involved with another man and was about to ask him for a divorce and both daughters are huge pains in the ass.

Shot in Hawaii in the June/July 2010 timeframe I believe. No firm release date yet.

I haven't been able to find a trailer yet.
Old 02-28-11, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The Descendants (2011, D: Alexander Payne) - Clooney, Woodley

i'm down for anything alexander payne
Old 05-24-11, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-24-11, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always funny when L.A. filmmakers become inspired by their vacation spots.
Old 05-24-11, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lamphorn
It's always funny when L.A. filmmakers become inspired by their vacation spots.
when i saw the poster my first thought was "damn i bet they shot on location"
Old 05-25-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5vu6qUglcGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-26-11, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm there...Damn you, Clooney. Damn you for choosing roles that I honestly never imagine you playing and then you play them and it looks solid. That's a good actor there..also...Robert Forster is punching someone...sold.
Old 05-27-11, 11:12 PM

Yeah, that looks amazing. Not coming out until 12/16 though.
Old 10-17-11, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this at closing night of the New York Film Festival. Great movie, great performances all around. Hits higher highs and lower lows (emotionally) than most of his earlier work. Shailene Woodley, playing the eldest daughter, is especially excellent. Recommended.
Old 11-23-11, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I can't believe my local theater won't have this film for Thanksgiving. Grrr.

Hard to fathom that it's been 7 years since Alexander Payne released "Sideways" which was a great film.

I have no doubt this movie will be very good.

Kind of surprised it hasn't gotten more discussion on here.
Old 11-23-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Saw it over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I liked the opening especially with Clooney explaining that Hawaii isn't all blue sky and rainbows. That there are still real problems.

I'm just trying to absorb Matt's decision.
Spoiler:
I'm sure it wasn't really to spite Brian Speer, but was it in his mind what would happen to the Speer family when he made the announcement?
Old 11-23-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm stoked to see this.
Old 11-25-11, 10:16 PM

Saw it tonight. It is worthy of its 91% on Rotten Tomatoes. It is hard to imagine too many people giving this a negative review. Yet, it was not the stroke of mastery that Sideways was. Those seeking a film where the pathos is heavily interlaced with humor (a la Sideways) will be disappointed somewhat. There is humor, but not at nearly the frequency of some of Payne's earlier films.
Old 11-26-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

This was really good. Clooney is a shoo-in for Best Actor. Will also surely get nominated for Best Picture, Screenplay, and Cinematography.
Old 11-26-11, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
This was really good. Clooney is a shoo-in for Best Actor. Will also surely get nominated for Best Picture, Screenplay, and Cinematography.
I wouldn't be amazed if Shailene Woodley doesn't score a supporting actress nomination. She won't win, but she might get a nom.
Old 11-27-11, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I wouldn't be amazed if Shailene Woodley doesn't score a supporting actress nomination. She won't win, but she might get a nom.
She absolutely should.
Old 11-27-11, 07:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Film of the year for me. I predict an Oscar sweep!
Old 11-28-11, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked it. Wasn't blown away by it liked I hoped. However, it was very well acted and directed. It was very serious at times and despite all the closeups of the tears on peoples' faces it still felt distant. I don't think anyone was crying in my theater though maybe that was the correct response.
Old 12-03-11, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Didn't quite connect fully with this. Payne's trademark sardonic humor was a bit lacking but understandable given the material. The stuff with the boyfriend took over too much of the second half. Film may have worked better with just one daughter like Paper Moon.
Old 12-03-11, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Director Alexander Payne returns to cinema with "The Descendants", a quirky family dramedy set in Hawaii, which deals with a mother in a coma, and a father (Matt) who isn't quite emotionally equipped to handle the reins of fatherhood for a 10-year old daughter (Scottie), and a 17-year old daughter (Alexandra, played by Shailene Woodley, who'll most likely nabbed a best supporting actress nomination and be this year's Jennifer Lawrence).

George Clooney does good work as Matt, and will nab a best actor nomination (not sure he'll win, though). The film's title deals with inherited land from George's family that needs to be sold off due to the perpetuity laws, and he's faced with deciding between 2 offers, and facing quiet pressure from various factions of his extended family. And while he's dealing with the business end, he's been coping with a wife in a coma from a boating accident, and adjusting to being the actual parent in the family, as his wife did most of the child-rearing in their family.

There are signature bits of Payne's humor sprinkled in the film, though it's almost always kept on low simmer, as George and his family go on a quest to deal with revealed secrets of his wife's own indiscretions, which sandbag Matt emotionally, but he presses on, even as the land deal decision looms in the very near future.

It's a solid film, but I just didn't quite love it, but it's worth seeing this holiday season with your family at matinee prices. Just be warned, some foul language from Matt's children does show up in a few scenes.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 12-17-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I finally saw this tonight. Totally loved it. I'm born and raised in Hawaii and I was really impressed at how authentic it was. I know plenty of those trust families and this film totally nailed their lifestyle for better and worse. The club he went to was a slightly fictionalized version of my canoe club (shot at the next door club for some reason, but the beach was the Outrigger Canoe Club and it was one of our canoes used in the final scene) -- the author's dad is a old-time member. The high school they kept referring to was my school -- complete with an authentic Punahou diploma on the table of Elizabeth's room. So often films in Hawaii present idealized fictional versions of the place. This one was absolutely spot on. Really hit home for me and I loved it.
Old 12-18-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Director Alexander Payne returns to cinema with "The Descendants", a quirky family dramedy set in Hawaii, which deals with a mother in a coma, and a father (Matt) who isn't quite emotionally equipped to handle the reins of fatherhood for a 10-year old daughter (Scottie), and a 17-year old daughter (Alexandra, played by Shailene Woodley, who'll most likely nabbed a best supporting actress nomination and be this year's Jennifer Lawrence).

George Clooney does good work as Matt, and will nab a best actor nomination (not sure he'll win, though). The film's title deals with inherited land from George's family that needs to be sold off due to the perpetuity laws, and he's faced with deciding between 2 offers, and facing quiet pressure from various factions of his extended family. And while he's dealing with the business end, he's been coping with a wife in a coma from a boating accident, and adjusting to being the actual parent in the family, as his wife did most of the child-rearing in their family.

There are signature bits of Payne's humor sprinkled in the film, though it's almost always kept on low simmer, as George and his family go on a quest to deal with revealed secrets of his wife's own indiscretions, which sandbag Matt emotionally, but he presses on, even as the land deal decision looms in the very near future.

It's a solid film, but I just didn't quite love it, but it's worth seeing this holiday season with your family at matinee prices. Just be warned, some foul language from Matt's children does show up in a few scenes.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Whenever you decide to write the "Siskel and Patman" review book, I would love to read it.

I must've missed the movies you've given an "A" to.
Old 12-18-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Whenever you decide to write the "Siskel and Patman" review book, I would love to read it.

I must've missed the movies you've given an "A" to.
I look forward to the future re-imaging of "The Three Stooges".
Old 12-27-11, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie, and was thinking about Laird Hamilton near the beginning, just as a part of Hawaii, and therefore was surprised as hell to see him pop up in the movie soon after. This is among my top of the year, and Clooney did a great job.
Old 12-27-11, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed it a lot. A good mix of humor and emotion. Great story. Clooney ran the show here and did a great job. The girl that played Clooney's older daughter was great as well. I expect to hear some Oscar buzz for her.

It's a must see before Oscar time since I'm sure this will be nabbing nominations left and right.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.