Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 83rd Academy Awards — 2011 Awards Show Discussion.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 83rd Academy Awards — 2011 Awards Show Discussion.

Old 02-28-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: The 83rd Academy Awards — 2011 Awards Show Discussion.

As much as I think Fincher should of won, Christopher Nolan was robbed of a nomination and the award too! Inception was a triumph in movie making and deserved accolades but I find solace in the fact that Inception will be talked about forever and The Kings Speech will slip into obscurity IMO.
Old 02-28-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Hayden Panties.
If Hayden was half a foot taller, too.
Old 02-28-11, 12:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Inception will be talked about forever
Old 02-28-11, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only two losses that I really minded all night:

Fincher (but most seem to agree with me on that)

and

Deakins. How can a man who has consistently done amazing work for decades (and 9 nominations) still not have a statue? I call shenanigans.

While I'm on the topic of under-recognized Coen collaborators: The Academy should try to update the the rules for score: Carter Burwell needs some recognition, but because he usually incorporates other pieces of other music in his scores, the Academy deems illegible for nominations (it's because of these rules that Clint Mansell couldn't get a nomination for Black Swan, which was an amazing use of score).

/Rant
Old 02-28-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As much as I think Fincher should of won, Christopher Nolan was robbed of a nomination and the award too! Inception was a triumph in movie making and deserved accolades but I find solace in the fact that Inception will be talked about forever and The Kings Speech will slip into obscurity IMO.
You're right, I would have replaced Hooper's nomination slot for Nolan. Ha!
Old 02-28-11, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...jeez. I'm pretty sure his movie making has been before, he just put those influences and techniques all in his movie. He didn't change filmmaking.

I enjoyed Inception, I think he did deserve a nomination cuz..well...to put all those things together and make it work? Yeah, that's some great direction...but he didn't change filmmaking. Nor was it a triumph. The awards that were given to Inception were appropriate. He didn't deserve to win screenplay or direction though. Also....I'm pretty sure a lot more people saw TDK than Inception...people never forget about Batman. Inception will get talked about less...much less than his Batman films.
Old 02-28-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Doesn't Jennifer Lawrence remind you of another actress? It's bugging me.
Old 02-28-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
...jeez. I'm pretty sure his movie making has been before, he just put those influences and techniques all in his movie. He didn't change filmmaking.

I enjoyed Inception, I think he did deserve a nomination cuz..well...to put all those things together and make it work? Yeah, that's some great direction...but he didn't change filmmaking. Nor was it a triumph. The awards that were given to Inception were appropriate. He didn't deserve to win screenplay or direction though. Also....I'm pretty sure a lot more people saw TDK than Inception...people never forget about Batman. Inception will get talked about less...much less than his Batman films.
The winner last night didn't change filmmaking either, in fact, he didn't even do a great job.

That said, I think Inception will be remembered for being a trippy big budget action movie which doesn't happen too often. Though neither TDK or Inception are what I'd define as "great" movies, they're both quite good.
Old 02-28-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone have a reaction shot of Fincher when Hooper's name was revealed as the winner of the BD?
Old 02-28-11, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Scarlett who?
Old 02-28-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In Winter's Bone, she reminded me of a young Renee Zellweger, but with the makeup on it's more like Leelee Sobieski. Or Jewel.
Old 02-28-11, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There were a few times in Winter's Bone where it seemed like she was channeling a young Jennifer Jason Leigh.
Old 02-28-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Jennifer Lawrence looks great in red, and she makes me feel weird, like when I used to climb the rope in gym class. (Can't find a gif of Garth.)

The only one with which I disagreed was Director and Picture. Picture I could kind of see, but come on people! I'm guessing this means Fincher will become a Scorsese type case where he will win about 15 years from now for a movie that's only marginally good but is more or less for an achievement of a great career. Movie in question will probably have Brad Pitt in it.
Old 02-28-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Diane Krueger?

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But who wins is almost always predictable. The show needs to entertain you in between the less-than-surprising results. This show was only entertaining in the "let's watch this train wreck" sense.
It's only predictable if you follow every other awards show and threads like the one on DVDTalk. I'm sure the majority of the viewing audience didn't find a single award predictable. If you want the element of surprise next year, you could just watch the nominated films and ignore the internet chatter.

Originally Posted by biglou114
(it's because of these rules that Clint Mansell couldn't get a nomination for Black Swan, which was an amazing use of score).
That was the best score of the year, imo. I didn't know the reason behind him not being nominated, I just thought he was snubbed. If that's the case, should Trent Reznor have even been nominated? Didn't a lot of that music come from Ghosts I-IV?

Last edited by dino88; 02-28-11 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-28-11, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
The winner last night didn't change filmmaking either, in fact, he didn't even do a great job.

That said, I think Inception will be remembered for being a trippy big budget action movie which doesn't happen too often. Though neither TDK or Inception are what I'd define as "great" movies, they're both quite good.
Oh I didn't mean that it had to change filmmaking. Just that it wasn't a triumph in moviemaking, which I think...changing the playing field would be a big deal. Damn good filmmaking though.

Hooper did a good job...I don't think he deserved either. Was there a reaction shot to Fincher losing?
Old 02-28-11, 12:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Was there a reaction shot to Fincher losing?
Yes. He was adding Tom Hooper to his friends list and then refreshing to see if Hooper had accepted yet.
Old 02-28-11, 12:55 PM
Banned

lol
Old 02-28-11, 01:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
If that's the case, should Trent Reznor have even been nominated? Didn't a lot of that music come from Ghosts I-IV?
Some of it may have come from some sessions from Ghosts, but none of the material in The Social Network was on the final release of Ghosts I-IV.
Old 02-28-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by biglou114
(it's because of these rules that Clint Mansell couldn't get a nomination for Black Swan, which was an amazing use of score).

/Rant
you know it's so good when the academy themselves use the music as the background to the montage of best picture nominees
Old 02-28-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inception will be talked about forever
... in limbo
Old 02-28-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

How did Gustabo Santaolall win for Babel? One piece that was used in the film, Iguazu, was used years earlier in The Insider (and is on that soundtrack). In fact, it was used as the movie's theme as he walked up to accept.
Old 02-28-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I find solace in the fact that Inception will be talked about forever
In your dreams.
Old 02-28-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like Shakespeare in Love beating out Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line all over again.

The best picture winners often end up being the most forgettable movies over time. Chicago? Crash? Slumdog? Beautiful Mind? Meh.

Oliver! over 2001 anyone?
Old 02-28-11, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inception sure as hell didn't deserve an award for sound mixing.

The sound mix in inception was one of the worst for a big budget film Ive seen in years
Old 02-28-11, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

for the record I like Inception better than Facebook

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.