DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   I Am Number Four (Dir:D.J. Caruso, Disturbia,scifi/action) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/587687-i-am-number-four-dir-d-j-caruso-disturbia-scifi-action.html)

candyrocket786 02-18-11 03:16 AM

I Am Number Four (Dir:D.J. Caruso, Disturbia,scifi/action)

Jesus Christ... no thread on this film yet? WTF?

Just came back from a midnight IMAX screening and talk about sensory fucking overload!!!

The plot is somewhat predictable (teen scifi, spiderman origin story), but the action scenes are fucking intense.

The final act is worth the price of admission . :up:

All three principal actors were great and seeing Dianna Agron on a digital IMAX screen :jawdrop:

Going again to watch it in DBOX.

Supermallet 02-18-11 03:31 AM

Re: I Am Number Four (Dir:D.J. Caruso, Disturbia,scifi/action)

I've been watching it as I run the midnight show. It's not quite as dumb as Twilight, but man is it ever trying. It's also got Timothy Olyphant, the world's most boring actor.

Rypro 525 02-18-11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 10643925)
seeing Dianna Agron on a digital IMAX screen :jawdrop:

that just sold me a ticket (i can sneak to the local imax after work

Rypro 525 02-18-11 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10643930)
I've been watching it as I run the midnight show. It's not quite as dumb as Twilight, but man is it ever trying. It's also got Timothy Olyphant, the world's most boring actor.

You need to give Justified a chance. His portrayal of Raylan Givens is great and a lot of fun

Supermallet 02-18-11 03:38 AM

Really? Is he better than on Deadwood? Because he was the weakest part of that show by a country mile.

candyrocket786 02-18-11 03:54 AM

Unlike Twilight, I found myself wanting to know more about the characters in this film.

Hell....give #6 her own damn movie

The action sequences in #4 pretty much own anything shown in the Twilight series.

Also Dianna Agron > Kristen Stewart.

mattysemo247 02-18-11 07:36 AM

Saw this last night as well. Wasn’t blown away by it, but I didn’t think it was that bad. The last 20-25 mins that were full of action were pretty cool. But yeah, the rest of the movie felt kinda like Twilight. And I thought Olyphant was great in it as well. But I’m a huge fan of Deadwood, so that might be biased.

Patman 02-18-11 09:37 AM

#6 (Theresa Palmer) was a lot of fun on her AOTS interview, and I wanted to know more about her (lovely English accent, BTW). She actually has a personality, and Kevin was loving it.

Deftones 02-18-11 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10643936)
Really? Is he better than on Deadwood? Because he was the weakest part of that show by a country mile.

Infinitely better.

Jam Master Jay 02-18-11 12:55 PM

2008: Jumper, 2009: Push, 2011: I Am Number Four

DonnachaOne 02-18-11 01:08 PM

It's a long Smallville episode. Don't bother.

Supermallet 02-18-11 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 10644174)
Infinitely better.

Wow. OK, I'll have to give season one a whirl at some point.

BuddyRevell 02-18-11 06:08 PM

So is it safe to say if I got some enjoyment out of "Jumper" and "Push", I should enjoy this too?

candyrocket786 02-18-11 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell (Post 10645111)
So is it safe to say if I got some enjoyment out of "Jumper" and "Push", I should enjoy this too?

Hell yes.

mdc3000 02-18-11 11:19 PM

Saw this 2 weeks ago and thought it felt like a subpar Smallville episode crossed with Twilight.... really disappointing, horrendous editing and deadly pacing. Sure some of the effects are cool and number 6 adds some fun to the movie, overall it was easily the worst movie DJ Caruso has made to date.

DonnachaOne 02-19-11 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 10645513)
it was easily the worst movie DJ Caruso has made to date.

Taking Lives is worse. That one was actively awful. I Am Number Four is just inert and stale.

CaptainMarvel 02-19-11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell (Post 10645111)

I liked Push more than Jumper (significantly), but both were entertaining to me. As was this one.

Some of it is by-the-numbers (sorry for the pun) stuff we've seen before, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it. The powers were pretty cool, and the pretty boy main actor didn't bother me as much as I thought he would.

I'd be in for a sequel even, although that's almost surely not going to happen.

Spoiler:
It makes me wonder how the bad guy aliens ever beat the good guy aliens, if all the "Numbers" had parents that also had powers. Once 4 and 6 got their powers going, it was an outright ass-beating on the bad guys, and they're both young and relatively inexperienced.

Patman 02-19-11 08:35 PM

The film has a somewhat decent premise, (where 9 alien kids from another planets, along with an assigned protector, are hiding out on earth on various continents far apart from one another. One by one, the children are being hunted down by another race from their planet to exterminate them, and their bloodline, which passes down powers, or legacies, from parent to child), though just bits of the alien kids backstory is hinted at here and there.

The first 2 acts provide some introduction to Number 4, as the first 3 have been terminated, so #4 and his protector go on the run, and end up in Ohio. The opening and middle acts are pretty much by-the-book, and uninspired teenage high school drama, but the final act delivers quite a lot of action and use of powers in a showdown between him, his new friends, and the bad guys.

As a set-up for a franchise of such films, I just don't know if we'll see another follow-up due to box office performance. Time will tell.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

FantasticVSDoom 02-19-11 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay (Post 10644533)

This is exactly what I was thinking and havent made up my mind whether or not to see it... Didnt like Jumper at all but I really enjoyed Push so still not sure.

riley_dude 02-20-11 02:14 AM

Not great but fun and lots of eye candy. Plot was just starting to get interesting when they cut it off so they could continue it in another movie.
I see that Marti Noxon helped write it. Is she the one who ruined the last two seasons of Buffy?

BuddyRevell 02-20-11 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 10646567)
I liked Push more than Jumper (significantly), but both were entertaining to me. As was this one.

Some of it is by-the-numbers (sorry for the pun) stuff we've seen before, but I enjoyed quite a bit of it. The powers were pretty cool, and the pretty boy main actor didn't bother me as much as I thought he would.

I'd be in for a sequel even, although that's almost surely not going to happen.

Spoiler:
It makes me wonder how the bad guy aliens ever beat the good guy aliens, if all the "Numbers" had parents that also had powers. Once 4 and 6 got their powers going, it was an outright ass-beating on the bad guys, and they're both young and relatively inexperienced.

Just got back from seeing this. Count me in as someone who enjoyed this flick.

Spoiler:
Totally agree with you there. I mean they did have those big ass beast things..but the Lorien planet must have had those shape shifting beast things to counter them. So yeah...I wish the baddies had there own special set of powers instead of guns.

FantasticVSDoom 02-21-11 04:29 PM

Saw it and enjoyed it... It was worth it for me just to see Dianna Agron, but thought it was fun. Would be down for a sequel or 2, but doubt thats going to happen. I think as far as the spoilers go, I would guess just by sheer numbers. It seems to be the only way.

PopcornTreeCt 02-21-11 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay (Post 10644533)

That's all I needed to know.

The Bus 05-16-11 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 10644547)
It's a long Smallville episode. Don't bother.

Saw this recently and was surprised by how 90% of the film was an uninspired teenage romance movie. The final act was cool but I didn't expect this to be a movie for kids that were just slightly too old/cool to see Sorcerer's Apprentice.

RichC2 05-16-11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 10774661)
Saw this recently and was surprised by how 90% of the film was an uninspired teenage romance movie. The final act was cool but I didn't expect this to be a movie for kids that were just slightly too old/cool to see Sorcerer's Apprentice.

So it's like Alien Vs Predator: Requiem but with a cool last act?