Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which of this summer's superhero movies are you most excited for?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What superhero movie are you most looking forward to this summer?
Captain America: The First Avenger
42.86%
Thor
9.52%
Green Lantern
12.38%
X-Men: First Class
16.19%
Smurfs 3-D
3.81%
Something else entirely
3.81%
I'm well and truly sick of superheroes
11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Which of this summer's superhero movies are you most excited for?

Old 02-18-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Which of this summer's superhero movies are you most excited for?

Didn't think I'd be saying this, but X-Men: First Class excites me most after that excellent trailer.
Old 02-18-11, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 674 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Superman is coming out next summer? I thought they didn't even have a script yet?
Last line of this article: http://www.nme.com/movies/news/super...stopher/205934

Doubt it will be a Christmas release, so I'd assume it's on track for summer release.
Old 02-18-11, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Xmen: First Class
2. Captain America: The First Avenger
3. Thor (Kat Dennings )
4. Green Lantern
Old 02-18-11, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of these superheroes excite me. Next summer will be wild though.

This summer, I'd say Transformers 3.
Old 02-18-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

The last one
Old 02-18-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
None of these superheroes excite me. Next summer will be wild though.
Same here. Thor looks like B-movie fun, but not worth trekking to the theater for.
Old 02-18-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i'll be there for ol' Winghead and Goldilocks. If i can earn enough points to get a movie pass from Regal or e-movie cash from a BD/DVD release, i'll check out GL or X-men.
Old 02-18-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't like how production quality has plummeted with the recent superhero films. While a film like Transformers 3 is trying to outdo its predecessors, these other films appear to be regressing. Throwing up cheap CGI on the screen in hopes of grabbing some green with namesake characters.
Old 02-18-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

None of them excites me much, I was never a big fan of most of those other than X-Men, and the last couple of X-Men movies haven't been great. I guess X-Men excites me the most still but I haven't even watched a preview yet so no idea if it looks any good.
Old 02-18-11, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post

I don't like how production quality has plummeted with the recent superhero films. While a film like Transformers 3 is trying to outdo its predecessors, these other films appear to be regressing. Throwing up cheap CGI on the screen in hopes of grabbing some green with namesake characters.
Which recent superhero films are you referring to that plummeted in production quality?
Old 02-18-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Voted for X-Men. Vaughn is 3 for 3 IMO and the trailer got me really excited to see it. Captain America is a really close 2nd but I'm more familiar with the X-Men series and characters. I'm not as excited about Thor but I'm going to give it a chance.
Old 02-18-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Captain.
Old 02-18-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

Captain America.

I wish they had made a clean break in continuity with X-Men First Class, but it looks to be the best one since X2.
Old 02-18-11, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginwen View Post
None of them excites me much, I was never a big fan of most of those other than X-Men, and the last couple of X-Men movies haven't been great. I guess X-Men excites me the most still but I haven't even watched a preview yet so no idea if it looks any good.
seriously? We have a thread on this...and you haven't seen the trailer? You must really pay attention to threads, stranger.

Here's the trailer:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UrbHykKUfTM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-18-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Which recent superhero films are you referring to that plummeted in production quality?
Captain America, Thor and Green Hornet. I don't expect Spider-Man 3 budgets all the time but the quality of these recent films just looks very poor. Superhero films, for me anyway, have to be huge in scope. I want to see scenes like Peter Parker stopping a metro train, Superman landing a jumbo jet in a baseball field or Batman causing a truck to flip over. Without those huge scenes in comic book movies I feel robbed because I'm not seeing the film for the biting dialogue or plot twists.

While I'll still count down the days until The Dark Knight Rises opens I will be passing on most other superhero films. Sorry, but I'm not going to see a Captain America film just because it's a Captain America film. The bar has been raised so high for comic book movies and these upcoming films don't even come close.

I will add that I do like Matthew Vaughn's films so the X-Men movie might be decent but definitely not something I will be seeing opening weekend.

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 02-18-11 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The bar has been raised so high for comic book movies and these upcoming films don't even come close.
Well, at least you can look forward to these films lowering the bar so in a few years they'll be desirable by comparison.
Old 02-18-11, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Captain America, Thor and Green Hornet. I don't expect Spider-Man 3 budgets all the time but the quality of these recent films just looks very poor. Superhero films, for me anyway, have to be huge in scope. I want to see scenes like Peter Parker stopping a metro train, Superman landing a jumbo jet in a baseball field or Batman causing a truck to flip over. Without those huge scenes in comic book movies I feel robbed because I'm not seeing the film for the biting dialogue or plot twists.

While I'll still count down the days until The Dark Knight Rises opens I will be passing on most other superhero films. Sorry, but I'm not going to see a Captain America film just because it's a Captain America film. The bar has been raised so high for comic book movies and these upcoming films don't even come close.

I will add that I do like Matthew Vaughn's films so the X-Men movie might be decent but definitely not something I will be seeing opening weekend.
wtf are you talking about?
Cap's budget-$140 million (I'm sure Joe Johnson is using that budget VERY WELL w/ his great eye for detail in in all aspects of design and of course...cast, love me some Hugo Weaving)

Thor's Budget- $150 million (this is a given...it's a comic book movie...about a fucking Norse God)

GH budget- $120 million(granted...I haven't seen the film and besides the previews...I never would've guess the budget...so I can't say much about it)
Old 02-18-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Of the movies listed, I'm most looking forward to Captain America. My most anticipated movie this summer though is Winnie The Pooh.
Old 02-18-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Transformers 3!
2. THOR. Earlier previews looked lame, but the new trailer this week looked awesome.
3. X-Men First Class. The first preview was decent but I'll wait for more trailers and reviews.
Old 02-18-11, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
wtf are you talking about?
Cap's budget-$140 million (I'm sure Joe Johnson is using that budget VERY WELL w/ his great eye for detail in in all aspects of design and of course...cast, love me some Hugo Weaving)

Thor's Budget- $150 million (this is a given...it's a comic book movie...about a fucking Norse God)

GH budget- $120 million(granted...I haven't seen the film and besides the previews...I never would've guess the budget...so I can't say much about it)
Hmm... me thinks a $150 million budget is the new $100 million budget. According to Box Office Mojo, The Dark Knight's budget was $185 million, Superman Returns $270 million, Spider-Man 2 was $200 million; just for comparisons sake.

These are supposed to be huge summer tentpole films but the studios aren't putting everything behind them. Maybe that's the new trend though.
Old 02-19-11, 12:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Green Lantern for me, obviously.
Old 02-19-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Hmm... me thinks a $150 million budget is the new $100 million budget. According to Box Office Mojo, The Dark Knight's budget was $185 million, Superman Returns $270 million, Spider-Man 2 was $200 million; just for comparisons sake.

These are supposed to be huge summer tentpole films but the studios aren't putting everything behind them. Maybe that's the new trend though.
Spider-Man 2 was coming off a $400 million dollar monster success, and Dark Knight off a very successful revival of the Batman series. Both sequels, hence higher budgets. Superman Returns is an oddity because it includes a lot of wasted money trying to get a movie made.

Captain America and Thor, from the trailers, look like they have the same type of production that Iron Man or Incredible Hulk did, which seems just about right for those movies. Especially since we're dipping into the lesser known comic book characters. Those budgets? $140 for the original Iron Man, $150 for Hulk. Iron Man 2? Budget went up after a successful first movie. Notice a trend?

Green Hornet was a far lesser known property, not to mention it had tons of production issues with directors and actors coming and going. Of course it wasn't going to get a huge monster budget.

If you're over super hero movies, that's fine. But there's hardly been a "plummet" as you described in production.
Old 02-19-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Last line of this article: http://www.nme.com/movies/news/super...stopher/205934

Doubt it will be a Christmas release, so I'd assume it's on track for summer release.
I bet they will. Summer is getting so crowded with comic book movies. Someone needs to branch them out a bit.
Old 02-19-11, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thor, then Captain America for me. I love Thor dearly... probably my second favorite comic character.

I really like Green Lantern and the mythos, but I can't watch the trailer without cringing. It just looks awful.
Old 02-20-11, 12:13 AM

I don't know why but Thor just looks like its gonna suck. Mind you I was into Thor comics 20 years ago, but I just don't think the movie is gonna hit the mark. GL & X-Men I'm pretty excited for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.